Song Contest 142 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:46 am

Post by Vi »

no, point was they do w/e they want

probably not worth the post but someone might find it interesting so I didn't bother deleting it when I had the chance
as it is apologies for the call-out
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:06 am

Post by Cyril »

i stand by my post, tho
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 98, Vi wrote:(which without checking I'm going to guess was created specifically for this purpose and has no other significance)
The pledge was changed in the 1950s during the height of the Red Scare. The belief was that if you were a dirty Commie you wouldn't be able to say the "Under God" part because you'd burst into flames. I mean, I can't think of a better way to out Commies.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:44 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 102, Formerfish wrote:
In post 98, Vi wrote:(which without checking I'm going to guess was created specifically for this purpose and has no other significance)
The pledge was changed in the 1950s during the height of the Red Scare. The belief was that if you were a dirty Commie you wouldn't be able to say the "Under God" part because you'd burst into flames. I mean, I can't think of a better way to out Commies.
Presumably the flames are blue and white and totally not red.

Spoiler: I was referring to this though

Hey Saladman. Is Phillippines your entry?
If so, I'm curious how you would review your own entry (or explain why you chose it or etc.). Not coming from a position of criticism; just curious if there's a story behind the choice.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:04 pm

Post by Formerfish »

I didn't realize there were other pledges. Imma go back into my agnostic hole.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Saladman27
Saladman27
Green Light
Saladman27
Green Light
Green Light

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Post by Saladman27 »

In post 103, Vi wrote: Hey Saladman. Is Phillippines your entry?
If so, I'm curious how you would review your own entry (or explain why you chose it or etc.). Not coming from a position of criticism; just curious if there's a story behind the choice.
I chose it cause it was funny to me, since I can understand it. Musically it's great but I can understand how the lyrics is confusing because of the way we talk. The music video was the only one I could find which was actually made by the label. It does follow the lyrics though. If you guys want, I can translate it, since the video doesn't have captions.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:41 am

Post by Song Contest »

craaaaaaaaap
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:47 am

Post by Song Contest »

Iceland was mistakenly left off the original voting ballot. If you wanted to vote for Iceland and couldn't, please either re-submit your vote or PM me and I will correct your ballot for you. I will be sending out PMs to everybody who has voted (except Iceland) about this as well.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:03 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 105, Saladman27 wrote:
In post 103, Vi wrote: Hey Saladman. Is Phillippines your entry?
I chose it cause it was funny to me, since I can understand it. Musically it's great but I can understand how the lyrics is confusing because of the way we talk. The music video was the only one I could find which was actually made by the label. It does follow the lyrics though. If you guys want, I can translate it, since the video doesn't have captions.
what's "bading bading" mean
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Saladman27
Saladman27
Green Light
Saladman27
Green Light
Green Light

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:41 pm

Post by Saladman27 »

We tend to double up words to emphasize their meaning, it's a bit hard to translate into English but it essentially means "Gay for you". Bading means gay and can be used offensively or casually.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:41 am

Post by Cyril »

Got my votes in but I'm not thrilled by most of them
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 pm

Post by Plotinus »

voted. I really liked Ethiopia and Iceland and Niger was pretty good too. Congrats to Wales for contributing a christmas song that didn't make me want to put my ears out.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:44 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Also there is a much better Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas song. It is this one

The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

(4/10) - Iceland - Billie Eilish - This feels like a Lana del Rey song. I dunno if she has the same singing talent as Lana does though. Feel like this song is lacking vocal power which this type of music needs.

(5.5/10) - Djibouti - Sports Team - Seems like a british version of the Strokes. Catchy song and I guess his voice is good. Not that interesting though. Good mid section.

(5/10) - China - Batushka - Surprisingly mostly okay with this considering its metal. Not sure why that is, it has a lot of the things I don't like about metal. The guitar tone is good I suppose.

(7/10) Germany - Nordic Chamber Choir - This is a pretty beautiful piece. I'm not normally huge on choral music but this definitely caught my attention.

(3/10) - Chad - Blink 182 - I don't like Blink182 and this sure was a song I guess.

(3/10) - Niger - DRAX Project - This is pretty aggresively meh. Although I don't generally like pop music and this is sort of the F.U.N. style of bad pop

(2/10) - USA - Dance Gavin Dance - The one guy looks like Dean from survivor. Not liking it from the start - not a fan of the vocals or the overall sound. Was hoping it would go somewhere interesting and it went somewhere the opposite of interesting. Yeah this is one of those edgy boi bands that likes the scream a lot. Gonna be a hard pass

(7/10) Hungary - Serif Delic - Can't remember what the name of the string instrument is but I do love it. I'm a fan of this. It's a very nice song, love this style of singing, and its got a good melody too.

(5/10) Australia- Youp van't Hek - Not the bunny! I don't really have much to comment on as far as being a song goes. I do enjoy the ending though.

(5/10) Egypt - Jacob Collier - Surprisingly didn't enjoy this all that much? Like the genre should appeal to me, but can't get past the weird vocals. Feels very "Music Theory Youtuber" as well. He is quite cute though.

(6/10) Phillipines - Parokya ni Edgar - It's an okay sound. Could see this in a musical. Not that exciting instrumentally but its catchy and memorable.

(5.5/10) Wales - Paul Kelly - I guess this is a pretty good Christmas song. Tells a good story, has emotion to it. Not really my thing, but it was a good listen.

(2.5/10) Ethiopia - Donald Phan - Oh no this is an anime song isn't it. Oh noooooo... yeah it has the speedy robotic piano playing. Its just so dull though? Not a Phan of this.

(6/10) Afghanistan - Wintergatan - There's something about this production that's a bit too clean. Cause otherwise I like it. It sits at a "decent background music" rating for me. I do like the saw playing a lot.

(6.5/10) Macau - Aivi and Surasshu - This is pleasant. Could definitely recognize that its the composers from Steven Universe without having known that before, they have a great style.

(4/10) Turkey - Trans Siberian Orhcestra - I thought this group was good idk this is just sleepy pachebels cannon

(2/10) Benin - Beanus - okay

(8/10) Japan - Suzuku Airi - Omg its a jpop song thats actually good. Yes this is the good funky stuff. Also aesthetic

(8/10) Poland - The Dead South - Yeah I like this sound a lot. Especially the really deep cello is killing it (it's a cello right?) The good dark country stuff

(1/10) Guyana - Flume - Nah i dont know what genre this is but its a sound I dont like so bleh

(9/10) Sudan - Mingus Big Band - mmm that's some sweet jazz. That low sax riff is everything. Very fun and chaotic stuff. Just continues to be solid for the entire time. Faved
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:23 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

why people review in weird random order
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:49 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 114, Aurathebirb wrote:why people review in weird random order
Technically the order should be arbitrary; in practice it's the order they were received, and I've found that I tend to hate the later submissions more.

I use the ranking from my first pass as the order for my second pass; this also removes some of the bias like "the last few songs were so bad that this one sounds better than I would ordinarily consider it". It works well for the songs that I ultimately assign points to, but by the end I usually find myself trying not to make whimpering noises.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:17 pm

Post by Cyril »

aura should i submit lana in the next contest
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:50 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

nah
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:58 am

Post by Song Contest »

I just noticed that I don't have complete ballots for four voters. I have PM'ed all four, please respond with your choices or re-submit your ballot using the form at the top of the entries.

I think I know what's going on -- in the process of correcting the ballot, I think Google Forms erased answers that were made using the former ballot. I apologize for all the confusion, and will make a note of it for the future.

If you have already voted and didn't receive a PM from me, your vote is intact.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:09 am

Post by Errantparabola »

djibouti sports team - fishing: is it just me or does the front man look like KILBY?????????
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:57 am

Post by Errantparabola »

japan slaps so hard anyone got a spotify link please i've been searching
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm

Post by PJ. »

I'll see what I can do
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:28 am

Post by Song Contest »

I'm going to extend the voting deadline to the end of tomorrow (midnight Pacific time on Monday, January 6).
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:09 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

Omg I'm so sorry I just totally forgot this was a thing and I had to vote on it.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:05 am

Post by Davsto »

rabbeans