Star Wars Discussion Here [SPOILERS]

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Star Wars Discussion Here [SPOILERS]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Post by Pine »

Rise of Skywalker
is out today. While I haven’t seen it, I intend to, and am excited for it.

Please confine discussion to this thread
. Loose lips sink ships, and careless spoilers RUIN MY NEWSTALGIA. (Newstalgia: new content which makes me have nostalgic feelings, and is likely designed to do so)

Here’s hoping it’s happy newstalgia!
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:15 pm

Post by popsofctown »

wait you do or don't want me to spoil it
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:15 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Spoiler: hmm
I heard it was shit. And I am a huge star wars nerd and I am not looking forward to it
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Post by Dannflor »

if The Last Jedi is my favorite Star Wars movie will much will I like the new one
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:20 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I loved the last jedi, I think I am gonna hate this one though.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:20 pm

Post by Dannflor »

the trailers just have me confused
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:32 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

this movie felt like jj abrams cramming like 3-4 movies worth of plot into 2.5 hours

it felt very much like he tried to completely ignore TLJ
which...i really like that he did, bc i hate TLJ

but it moves at a breakneck pace and never lets anything sit or rest or just...be

then there are some pretty corny moments in the third act
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:06 am

Post by zoraster »

I'm going to post spoilers here and I'm not going to apologize for it. You're reading a Star Wars thread right after a Star Wars release: you'd be an idiot to click on it if you cared.

I have a lot of thoughts I'm probably too lazy to write down. I said before that the movie was a "fun, touching mess of a movie" and after sleeping on it, that seems right. Did I
the movie? I don't know that I really did. It was fun to see once, and I'll see it again with my family over the holidays I'm sure and it'll probably continue to have elements that are fun. But unlike TLJ (which I liked quite a bit despite some flaws), I guess in a thumbs up/down manner, I'd give it down. Still, it has great moments.

As a kid who grew up reading the now non-canon "Legends" series, one of the thing that appealed to me most about Star Wars was the world building: the first movies were very much of the hint at larger things variety, but I think in movies that's strongest. But still, it was easy to imagine a real world that operated, had economies, criminals, etc. It didn't all make total sense, obviously, but it felt like this was a world where a tyranical meglomaniac came to power with his darkly magical henchman and did what they could to build power. It was evil (explicitly so) but the point was
power
not just evil. The prequels, flawed and (having recently rewatched them) bad as they were, embraced that. I don't mean to say Star Wars had a perfectly devised world, but it at least pretended to be a sorta rational one if you squinted.

JJ Abrams does not give a single shit about this. He's going to blow up some worlds. He's going to somehow conjure up and staff a fleet the size of a planet from fucking nowhere. He's then going to conjure a "civilian" (supposedly) massive armada all at a convenient time to mop up the stupidly large evil fleet he made. JJ Abrams does this because he wants to focus on characters and pace. He ups the stakes of the movies in TFA to a ridiculous point (Starkiller Base) and then inexplicably does so even more (giving ordinary star destroyers deathstar powers). Anyway, JJ Abrams here is concerned about setting up memorable and emotionally compelling moments that exist to a large extent irrespective of the greater world.

Anyway, there are other problems the movie has. Some of which are the clearly missing Carrie Fisher (which they handled better than I thought it would be) and who from what I've read was intended to pretty much be a focal point (Han Solo coming in at the end as a ghost or memory to haunt Kylo Ren almost certainly was intended to be Leia). Some of which are JJ Abrams either (a) responding to the backlash to TLJ and just making a movie Disney thought fans would love or (b) being pissed his toys had been rearranged. Others are just the nature of the beast: endings are hard.

Reck isn't wrong that the movie feels like 3-4 movies crammed into one. It's just too fast for it to feel like a good story. And maybe that's on purpose, so you don't think too hard about whether its elements fit together.

All that said, I thought it was touching. Some of the emotional beats didn't really land for me, but the bundling of lightsabers certainly did. The movie had a lot of fun moments. The set up and execution of the lightsaber transfer being the highlight. Rey and Kylo's fight over the transport was legitimately good. Poe's stubbly face was as sexy as ever, according to my wife. I'm always more comfortable talking in depth about flaws in movies than stuff that works, which i guess says something about me. But there was enough good stuff in the movie that I didn't
hate
it or anything. It was fun. It was touching. It was a mess.

Smaller points: was the new droid supposed to be autistic? The droid hacker was pretty great. I was not comfortable with how all the black characters ended up on the quests together.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:42 am

Post by DeathNote »

I will completely forgot I saw this movie in a couple months. JJ Abrams is so good at making beautiful movies that somehow aren't memorable.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:15 am

Post by popsofctown »

Even more so am I the only one creeped out by "the actors of African descent are the ones who get to play ex-child soldiers" like wtf?!?!
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i think i see the glimpses of the trilogy jj wanted and it would've been good
green shirt thursdays
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:59 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 9, popsofctown wrote:Even more so am I the only one creeped out by "the actors of African descent are the ones who get to play ex-child soldiers" like wtf?!?!
I was confused because I thought ALL of the storm troopers were supposed to be clones of the bounty hunter from Epi2 . But then I was confused about it in the
The Force Awakens
but I still loved the movie.

Loved this movie. I thought TLJ was awful and I am starting to wonder if JJ Abrahms is some type of Hollywood clean-up crew.

The movie was too short, which is a good indicator that it was good. I feel like the rating of SW movies is gauged by how long the movie was. Like if you felt it was too long then it was terrible but if it was too short you liked it. I needed a solid 45 additional minutes to flesh out the lingering questions I had in this one.

My only disappointment is that there was not a final showdown between the ghost jedi vs the ghost sith. like
Endgame
. I feel a bit robbed by that.

Not gonna lie I was really hoping for this to be an
Endgame
type of movie.

But I feel content.
Last edited by pirate mollie on Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:00 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 10, xRECKONERx wrote:i think i see the glimpses of the trilogy jj wanted and it would've been good
lol

eta: I agree wholeheartedly
whew!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I never identified with the dumb critiques of TLJ. I don't care that it was progressive (I'm progressive myself), I don't care about the arc of space lasers, etc.

My sticky issues with TLJ were:

The comedy was slapstick and felt really out of place. TFA was lighthearted and had comedic moments, but TLJ just let the comedy fly and it undercut a LOT of moments. Luke gets his lightsaber back for the first time since Empire... comical toss over the shoulder. Rey faces Kylo via mindlink whatever for the first time and we get an awkward intercut moment where a hole gets blown open in a wall. Rey uses the force for the first time, Luke tickles her. Rey learns how to wield a lightsaber in an intense training scene... cue the wacky physical comedy with funny-looking creatures having their carts smashed. Then there's the entirety of Del Toro's character that exists just to be quirky. Even Luke's final confrontation with Ren featured weird dance moves? No serious moments or dramatic thrusts landed because they were constantly undercut by out-of-place comedy. The Original Trilogy had the droids for some slapstick occasionally, but in TLJ, basically the ENTIRE cast was full of amateur comedians.

Everything on Canto Blight was pointless. It had no impact on the rest of the movie and felt like it was just there to pad time.

The World's Slowest Chase Scene dragged on for way too long. Every time it cut back to the Resistance being chased, I felt a sense of Deja Vu, like... haven't I just watched this exact shot/scene?

I left TLJ completely uninterested in Episode 9 because there was no narrative momentum. It didn't further any plot threads from TFA (and went out of its way to make them pointless, like Luke's lightsaber). It didn't set up any interesting plot points for the last entry. It felt, in a way, like a weird reset... of a reset. TFA already had shuffled the deck and given us a new slate, then Rian Johnson did it again. Had TLJ been the first movie in the trilogy, I think I could've appreciated it more. As it stands, it was a terribly disappointing second entry.

Which leaves us with Rise of Skywalker. It really felt like an entire trilogy worth of plot crammed into one movie. This, to me, felt like Abrams trying to show us the beats he would've taken had he been at the helm for the whole trilogy. To be honest, I really liked those beats. It's the connective tissue between them that was too weak. It makes sense that Snoke might've been the big bad instead of Palpatine, but Johnson killed him, so JJ had to bring back Papa Sheev. I like the idea of Rey & Kylo being Force Dyads, which is a concept we've never seen properly explored before. I like this idea of Finn's journey being about finding a family that he never had, only to find a contingent of other ex-First Order and falling in with them. I like the peek of Poe's past as a spice runner and going from hothead to someone worthy of taking up Leia's mantle. There's so much to explore!

The bits and pieces are there, hiding underneath the weight of a franchise that was horribly mismanaged. Johnson undid a lot of what Abrams had in mind, and Abrams undid a lot of the slate-cleaning that Johnson put in TLJ. That's why RoS feels so weirdly paced. It's just a shitload of plot crammed into a tiny space. When the movie slowed down and let things breathe, it worked. The main trio being on screen together was great and I felt like they all had a natural chemistry. Unfortunately, we got FAR too little of that. When Poe/Finn arrived back at the base early in the movie and got into an argument with Rey, it felt like we were being dropped into a group of friends without seeing any of how these dynamics were formed (partially due to TLJ's decision to keep them all separated the entire movie).

I think I'd like to live in that alternate world where JJ got to play out his whole idea from the start. Unfortunately we won't get that. Hell, let me see a Skywalker trilogy with JJ at the helm, paying homage to the past, because when it's part of a nine film saga, the past matters. Give Rian Johnson his own trilogy, cut off from the Skywalkers, with the ability to cut out whatever he wants and forge his own legacy. But those two things can't exist in the same trilogy.
green shirt thursdays
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Post by Dannflor »

Why did they share a trilogy to start with

I would love to see a full trilogy from Rian Johnson

I'd probably quite like a full trilogy from JJ Abrams

why did they have to split this one
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

yeah
good point
green shirt thursdays
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:29 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

I could not contain myself from screaming during the transfer (many other ppl also screamed)
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

the kiss?
green shirt thursdays
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

The lightsaber transfer
A kiss of sorts
Saber kiss

Mouth kiss was fine.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i'm blanking on wtf you're talking about
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

OH WAIT i know what you mean

i thought that was actually really cool
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:31 am

Post by zoraster »

i was very ugh about the kiss, but very screamy (inside my head anyway) about the transfer.
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:42 am

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 14, Dannflor wrote:Why did they share a trilogy to start with

I would love to see a full trilogy from Rian Johnson

I'd probably quite like a full trilogy from JJ Abrams

why did they have to split this one
Disney tried to do what Lucas did with the OT and also what they were doing with MCU at the time. They accomplisjed neither and put a permanent pock mark (to die hards at least) on one of their most lucrative IPs.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

rogue one continues to be the only good star wars movie
I had fun with this though
sucks that poe and finn didn't smooch
but chewie got his medal
To be clear: quack
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Post by panthaleon »

Rise of Skywalker was a very dumb movie. I do not recommend spending theatre money to see it
Reformed boy - just trying my best

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!

Return to “General Discussion”