Star Wars Discussion Here [SPOILERS]

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:12 pm

Post by Pine »

Yeah. Trying too hard. Hence skipping around and sampling.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Post by panthaleon »

I mean like I'm more than happy to discuss the thematic failings of this very dumb movie with very dumb decisions.

However since you're doubling down, I might also encourage you to look at the context of using one video from a female content creator and jumping around to round her down to some fake fan cashing in on Star Wars outrage. Especially describing her as petulant and grating. Like I don't really care to unpack everything here, but Jenny Nicholson has been remarkably consistent with her many many videos about star wars both on this channel and the other channel she was on doing a show about star wars. Talking about her merch and calling her a fake fan just looks tacky.
Reformed boy - just trying my best

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

tbf pine jenny is a pretty prolific film reviewer on youtube and does these deep dives after every movie so this isn't some attempt to get clicks
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:55 am

Post by zoraster »

jenny nicholson is terrific. probably my favorite star wars centered reviewer?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:11 am

Post by zoraster »

also calling her someone who "is just trying to get clicks" I mean... she's a youtube video producer. I assume that's part of it as she makes money on these things, but it's also kind of absurd accusation to levy against her. She's been doing this for quite some time, and it's pretty clear she's passionate about the movies and her take on it.

Also I have no idea why you'd say she just wanted the movie she constructed in her head when that's not at all reflected in the video linked.

I dunno. It's tough to be a young woman in fandom. "petulance and grating" "ultimate fangirl" "more than superficial"
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:15 am

Post by Pine »

Whoa, hold on there. I'd have used similar terms to describe a male YouTuber producing the same video. Not knowing her context matters, I'll give you that, I've never heard of her and only saw the one video. That doesn't make her any less whiny, and having a history of reviewing films doesn't make her opinions less trite. Perhaps she's done better videos, and perhaps I'm predisposed against anyone who surrounds themselves with product.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:17 am

Post by Fluminator »

In post 81, chamber wrote:To me it feels like they intentionally created a black love interest for the black character and intentionally stuck them on a side mission together. Its not only the casting I'm objecting to. Finn was already part of 2 love pairs, FinnXRay which got minor lip service in the form of him almost admitting it to her when he was about to die, and FinnXRose which was completely sidelined(some might even argue a third subtextual one in FinnXPoe). In a movie moving this fast I have no other explanation for creating a new character.
it sounds like they had no plan and haphazardly threw in who loves who plots that were literally meaningless.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:50 am

Post by schadd_ »

i like jenny nicholson
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:54 am

Post by Errantparabola »

theory: Pine wanted to be disappointed in the Jenny Nicholson video & made a long post criticizing it to get Mafiascum clicks
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:11 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 105, Pine wrote:Whoa, hold on there. I'd have used similar terms to describe a male YouTuber producing the same video. Not knowing her context matters, I'll give you that, I've never heard of her and only saw the one video. That doesn't make her any less
whiny
, and having a history of reviewing films doesn't make her opinions less trite. Perhaps she's done better videos, and perhaps I'm predisposed against anyone who surrounds themselves with product.
I don't think you would. I don't think you'd view it as the same video if it were a man (though I don't know what that means in reality).

As for product, I'd question why you'd dismiss someone who has a bunch of merch in their background as... I don't know? Flawed? Unworthy of commenting on a movie? It's clear the style of video she's trying to accomplish isn't Serious-People-Sitting-In-High-Back-Chairs-Discussing-Things, but Star Wars shouldn't be that serious either.

Also I have no idea why the points she's making are considered "trite." I'd argue at worst they're nitpicky (though many are big enough deals as to be actual problems), but they're not
trite
as many aren't ones I've heard mentioned before (just as one of many examples, the blue civic part).
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:18 am

Post by Fluminator »

In post 99, SleepyKrew wrote:my main issue with that video is IT'S AN HOUR LONG
I actually agree with Krew for once.
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:26 am

Post by panthaleon »

I mean this isn't super relevant except that it looks the same as the classic "real Star Wars fans would have liked this movie, so anyone who didn't like it either isn't a real fan or wanted to hate it."

And this is relevant because I think this was a very bad movie, but I don't want to risk being purity tested over whenever I have the proper background to make critiques

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:03 am

Post by popsofctown »

This is much more yikes than I expected this thread to be
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:00 am

Post by Pine »

I really do not take kindly to the suggestions that are being made about my motives for disliking this reviewer. I am well aware of my biases, they are at most tertiary here. I disagreed with the review, but presentation counts. I don't like the medium of YouTube for this sort of thing, nor do I like the mode of sitting in front of a camera and talking about what you don't like. There are just as many male video-makers I dislike for exactly the same reasons.

Again, all of that is tertiary to the fact that I thought the quality of her argument was deficient. There were a lot of problems with
Rise of Skywalker,
some of which were addressed, but a lot of the critiques were based on expectation versus reality. She wanted x to happen, y happened, the movie sucked even though y was an entirely valid story.

Please do not assign unwarranted prejudices to me again. If you want to talk about how unconscious biases might be coloring my perceptions, we can have that conversation, but not in a venue which involves hostility.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:29 am

Post by chamber »

In post 113, Pine wrote:She wanted x to happen, y happened, the movie sucked even though y was an entirely valid story.
Timestamp
Taking a break from the site.
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:31 am

Post by panthaleon »

I might also say that you're taking a real aggressive approach at the end of your post there, my dude. Please remember you're a moderator and that carries with it some certain standards of behavior.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 am

Post by zoraster »

to be fair, he's talking to me and I'm not going to interpret his post as being disrespectful or anything to me as a user. I know Pine. I respect Pine. It's hard for me sometimes to come to terms with my own biases, and there's often a reflexive defensiveness when called out on them. I don't always appreciate it in real time if I'm honest.

But those things still need to be said because hopefully at least some of those things get through to me. That's what I'm trying to say here. I don't think Pine is a bad guy or anything like that. If you don't like YouTube videos or if you don't like her take (I don't agree with much of it, but I think most is presented in a pretty compelling way), that's perfectly fine. It's the belittling language that I don't like because it's all-too prevalent in fandom generally, and that makes it hard for women to enter that space.
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:05 am

Post by Aronis »

In post 106, Fluminator wrote:
In post 81, chamber wrote:To me it feels like they intentionally created a black love interest for the black character and intentionally stuck them on a side mission together. Its not only the casting I'm objecting to. Finn was already part of 2 love pairs, FinnXRay which got minor lip service in the form of him almost admitting it to her when he was about to die, and FinnXRose which was completely sidelined(some might even argue a third subtextual one in FinnXPoe). In a movie moving this fast I have no other explanation for creating a new character.
it sounds like they had no plan and haphazardly threw in who loves who plots that were literally meaningless.
Yep, you just summed up the entire movie really well
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:53 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

Mollie what would you do to make Solo: A Star Wars Story better?
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:22 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 108, Errantparabola wrote:theory: Pine wanted to be disappointed in the Jenny Nicholson video & made a long post criticizing it to get Mafiascum clicks
this is a good post
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:27 pm

Post by Firebringer »

tbf to Pine the first time I watched a jenny Nicholson video I thought she was a whiny annoying youtuber, I think its her voice. She talks in a specific way like someone mopping around and really sad because they haven't gotten a good night sleep or something.

She brings up a lot of good points that I think ur ignoring Pine.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

secretGuy234
secretGuy234
Ninja
secretGuy234
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Post by secretGuy234 »

Jenny Nicholson has more star wars videos than probably any other subject matter but yeah sure I guess shes just clickbaiting and not a fan. Lol
secretGuy234
secretGuy234
Ninja
secretGuy234
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by secretGuy234 »

In post 112, popsofctown wrote:This is much more yikes than I expected this thread to be
star wars discussion is some of the most cursed discussion in existence tbf
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:59 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 122, secretGuy234 wrote:
In post 112, popsofctown wrote:This is much more yikes than I expected this thread to be
star wars discussion is some of the most cursed discussion in existence tbf
go away u frickin nerd
Show

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 114, chamber wrote:
In post 113, Pine wrote:She wanted x to happen, y happened, the movie sucked even though y was an entirely valid story.
Timestamp
yeah I think the times she disagreed with the direction the movie went it was more on how it was executed/pacing and other issues that the direction caused. Basically saying that the result wasn't bad and movie had potential in areas but was horribly executed. I feel like I am summarizing it decently.

idk I listened to her a few hours ago and was half paying attention.
Show

Return to “General Discussion”