Song Contest 146 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:05 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

i think that disallowing was the correct decision
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:18 pm

Post by Cyril »

i even gave formerfish a site to use for clipping the part he wanted to use and submitting it lol
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:20 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 51, Cyril wrote:i even gave formerfish a site to use for clipping the part he wanted to use and submitting it lol
I did, i clipped it and then submitted it.

Maybe i fucked it up, i dunno.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:15 pm

Post by Song Contest »

All righty, FF and I figured it out -- we had a link mix-up.

Chad has been added to the contest and ballot, please be sure to listen to it before voting!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Post by PJ. »

I'm confused why you didn't just find the song in question? Ithe doesn't seem like this guy is mixing anything.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Post by PJ. »

Or the mix isn't live, which is kinda wack.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 54, PJ. wrote:I'm confused why you didn't just find the song in question? Ithe doesn't seem like this guy is mixing anything.
I tried to find it. When I ID the song it comes up with different songs depending on the part it locks onto. And then when I looked up the individual songs neither were the one I was listening to.
Show

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Post by Formerfish »

SoundHound told me it was "Heavy" by Oh No and "Tatli Dillim" by Selda Bagcan.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 57, Formerfish wrote:SoundHound told me it was "Heavy" by Oh No and "Tatli Dillim" by Selda Bagcan.
Selda Bağcan does sing the song in question. It is off her self titled LP from 1976 (Selda). There are.. different versions floating around online. I unfortunately can not find any YouTube’s of that EXACT version in the mashup video you posted, Fish.

However, the song in question is Meydan Sizindir. The closest I found is this song. It is the first song on the LP. But even this version has some extra stuff at the beginning.

Happy hunting!
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:57 pm

Post by Formerfish »

See, I feel like this song is definitely in there too:

Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:24 pm

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

Can I just give all my points to Poland?
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:26 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 59, Formerfish wrote:See, I feel like this song is definitely in there too:

Heavy sampled Selda. But it apparently sampled a different Selda song... Ince.

I am so confused
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:29 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

She uses the same chord in both Ince Ince and Meydan Sizindir, but I think Ince Ince is actually the song played in the mashup video you posted.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:40 pm

Post by Cyril »

New Zealand – Oh yeah I used to be into this game, but then I got super tired of roguelikes as a concept. I don’t think a ‘5-1’ existed when I played this game. Anyways this sure sounds overly busy and tuneless. Like wow this is a mess. This doesn’t seem like an official track and I can tell why it just. Doesn’t sound good.

USA – Solid sound but boy the intro goes on way too long, almost the entire first half of the song. Gets me kind of impatient for the song to really kick in proper. Vocals are good though and even the djent-leaning riffing works by being grounded in some melody and/or that dissonant flourish. Yeah, solid stuff even if I wasn’t sold at first. (DECENT)

Sudan – Nope, still don’t get it.

Iceland – Devin has apparently been working on a symphony for some time and if it sounds anything like this it’s going to be a masterpiece.

Poland – Feel like I recognize this song/band name from somewhere but I have no clue where. Anyways I definitely haven’t heard this and it’s pretty bad cock rock type of stuff or something along those lines. The kind of metal/hard rock I find sonically gross. (MEDIOCRE)

Djibouti – Lol yeah I remember that incredibly doofy Alice in Wonderland sample. That’s pure cringe. I think I only checked this out because I heard a cool instrumental track off it. Most of this is hot garbage, the ending bit was vaguely okay but not worth revisiting the rest of this for.

Transnistria – The start of this sounds like a parody of power metal, eeww. This song title is inextricably entwined with the name of an album I quite like, so this also immediately draws comparisons it’s not prepared to win against. But yeah like. I just. Cannot take a single part of any vocals in this song seriously. (MEDIOCRE)

Turkey – I saw that band image and thought “oh god this is a deathcore band isn’t it” and yyyyeah I don’t think I’m wrong here. Genuinely surprised to hear any clean vocals in here. More than anything I’m upset how disgustingly bad this production job is. Why is the low end so high in the mix. Why are the vocals so buried. Why does everything have crunch but no texture. I’ve disliked most songs up to this point but this is the first one I genuinely couldn’t finish.

Chad – Well you know what. This doesn’t really make me feel anything and it’s not particularly unique in its own regard but boy howdy it’s like, an actual song and I don’t actively dislike it so it’s gonna end up with high points in this apparent disaster of a contest. (AVERAGE)

on track to be the single worst song contest i can remember, so far
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:41 am

Post by Cyril »

Madagascar – The problem I have with Babymetal is that by the name alone it’s immediately impossible to take them seriously. Like, they’re genuinely more legit than a lot of the bands I was subjected to in the first half of this contest, and having genuine hooks is always a boon, but I haven’t ever been… impressed by them either. (AVERAGE)

Hungary – I have absolutely no clue what that synth line adds to this song, but it sure feels like it detracts a lot. Just like, completely changes the tone of the song and makes it sound really goofy. Otherwise this is… solid but unremarkable. (AVERAGE)

Asgardia – I genuinely don’t understand the point of entering songs like this in song contest. Like legit, just stay home. It’s fine. If you got nothing you got nothing.

Costa Rica – “Aggressively wacky” is one of the last things I want to hear in music, personally. (MEDIOCRE)

Tanzania – Okay but is this one even fair. Best Coheed album, one of the best songs off the album (though there are a -lot-). Anyways yeah, (GOOD) maybe even (GREAT)

Greenland – I feel like this didn’t particularly have a lot of flavor or hit me that hard but also it’s a lot better than most everything else I’ve heard in this contest. Like if I did my scores right now this would get my 8. (AVERAGE)

Liechtenstein – Why is the country name misspelled by the way. I know this one because someone sent it to me on another site in like 2015 or something. It’s not my thing, but it’s completely and totally fine. Kinda catchy. (AVERAGE)

Niger – Haha there’s a Haken song with this name too. This isn’t that song. This, in fact, appears to be nu-metal. Ugh. There’s genuinely nothing about this I find appealing.

very bad contest. had to give points to two mediocre songs. i might relisten to my 10 & 8 out of curiosity but nothing else here does even the slightest bit for me
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 64, Cyril wrote:very bad contest. had to give points to two mediocre songs.
dahling please, giving points to two mediocre songs is pretty standard

I've finished my first pass. I think this contest is slightly better than average, although tbh my idea of the average is pretty low.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:46 pm

Post by Cyril »

i lower my standards for this contest and it isn't even enough sometimes
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:36 am

Post by PJ. »

:shrug: poor, narrow tastes will do that to you.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:53 am

Post by Xtoxm »

good contest
honourable mention to greenland and costa rica who i had planned to give points to, but had to cut in the end
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:53 am

Post by Cyril »

also tool can you update the thread title to say when voting is due
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:49 am

Post by Song Contest »

In post 69, Cyril wrote:also tool can you update the thread title to say when voting is due
mmmmyes
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Post by Vi »

Second pass done. The entries fell into five tidy tiers, and deciding the order was pretty tough in each of them. I'll revise my earlier statement to saying this contest is unambiguously above average.

Spoiler: throwing out the numeric ratings because they're not really helpful except to say that the tiers aren't close together
|
|
---TIER: POINTS!

(12) POLAND -- Fozzy {Judas}
-- Definitely the best music video. Another song that's suitably intense with the euphony I always hope for. No complaints; please send more.

(10) HUNGARY -- Siddharta {Nastalo bo}
-- Very smooth, and that synth feels like all the Eurosongs I should feel more embarrassed about enjoying. I was afraid the vocals would ruin it, but they fit in quite well. I want to say that I'm getting tired of hearing metal, but that's not really this entry's fault. This is a rather well-done ordinary song though.

(8) MADAGASCAR -- Babymetal {Distortion}
-- If you told me this was something out of IIDX (ported to DDR) I would believe you. I suppose that gives away that this isn't too far from what I have a bundle of experience listening to anyway? I normally complain that songs aren't intense enough, but this qualifies. It's further out of my comfort zone than the entries above it, but I am still deeply sad that this is only getting 8 points.

===TIER: POINTS

(7) DJIBOUTI -- The Dali Thundering Concept {The Myth of Happiness}
-- This is probably the
funniest
song in this genre so far, beating out the intense small dick energy of the A Day to Remember entry from a few contests back. I'm overrating this highly for how staggeringly stupid it is, but I mean, get those points one way or another I guess. It IS pretty accessible for this genre, I suppose. Also I feel like this song is bait for a really, really awful Aggretsuko crossover.

(6) ASGARDIA -- lezbeepic {Stereo Sayan 3D [lezbeepic Remix]}
-- I suppose this does qualify as music under the rules. Still, I laughed. If you can't submit something good, getting me to laugh is a good alternative goal. Would I listen to this sooner than I would the entries below it on this list? Honestly, yes.

(5) LIECHTENSTEIN -- Slash ft. Miles Kennedy & The Conspirators {World on Fire}
-- Can confirm this is something I'd expect my father to listen to. Come to think of it maybe I should recommend it to him. These vocals don't do it for me but this is generally okay, notwithstanding that I feel like I've heard it before somewhere in the Guns 'n' Roses/Velvet Revolver catalog.

(4) ICELAND -- Devin Townsend {Why?}
-- This feels like something where if I told someone that I liked a single Blind Guardian song, they would smarmily suggest that I'd like this. It feels like the more obnoxious kind of novelty song, with shades of the talent that could produce something better. Like if it was just the second half I would rate it way higher; as it is I'm strongly tempted to throw it in the next tier down.

===TIER: POINTS.

(3) USA -- Four Year Strong {It's Cool}
-- It sounds decent but it doesn't really do a lot for me. It's the kind of generic that I want to throw out for a novelty entry.

(2) GREENLAND -- The Republic of Wolves {Oarsman}
-- Possibly the most mainstream harsh vocals. It sounded slightly better than okay for longer than it really had to. The song strikes me as very, very white.

(1) NIGER -- Blindspott {Nil by mouth}
-- This is actually kind of okay. I would still be embarrassed to listen to it in public though. Why is the guy vomiting on the microphone and calling it the song's hook?

---TIER: NO POINTS

SUDAN -- Lingua Ignota {MAY FAILURE BE YOUR NOOSE}
-- This is my pick for "song that places 3rd or something in this contest for reasons I don't understand". I don't actually hate the distortion or really anything about this; I just don't particularly feel anything positive toward about it. The titles of the tracks in the related videos are A++.

TANZANIA -- Coheed and Cambria {The Crowing}

COSTA RICA -- Gogol Bordello {Dogs were Barking}
-- It feels like an excellent Eurovision entry. Honestly if it was the second half the whole way through it would probably get a higher rating.

TRANSNISTRIA -- Avantasia {Death is Just a Feeling}
-- Here's a band YouTube has been recommending to me recently. This feels like something where if I told someone (in this case YouTube) that I liked a single Blind Guardian song, they would earnestly suggest that I'd like this. Also the chair of Level 99 Games just said this was one of their favorite bands, which... well, see rating.

===TIER: NO POINTS.

CHAD -- My Analog Journal {70's Turkish Anatolian Rock Vinyl Set}
-- This is what I would hear if the Indian co-worker who sits behind me plays their music too loud, and they listened to something remotely modern.

TURKEY -- Eyes of the Defiled {Apokalypsis}

NEW ZEALAND -- Chimpanzilla vs. Virt vs. Timmy Trumpet & Savage {FreakzWaltz}
-- Novelty entry with a smooth feel and a beat? Yeah, this one's mine. When I watched a playthrough of Crypt of the NecroDancer's Repainted Mod, this part concerned me because... it was actually good. Seriously, this is better than all three of its component parts. (How did Freaks get to be #1 in New Zealand? What the heck does sheepshagging do to your brain; it's awful.)

Uh this is the only part of the Repainted soundtrack I'd recommend. If I *had* to recommend another BGM it would be 5-3, but etc.

FWIW, NecroDancer is a complete and enjoyable game without the Amplified DLC; I don't think the game with Amplified is qualitatively better or worse than the base game. Musically, though, you're only missing Notorious D.I.G. and Funk Fiction's three contributions to the OC Remix.
Last edited by Vi on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:20 am

Post by toolenduso »

Voted!

USA - Four Year Strong - It's Cool: I know this band, was never that into them, but it's easily been a decade since I've heard them at all. This is an interesting opening. Getting a fun tone out of that guitar. Heyyyyyyyy that was a cool switch. I'm liking this! I did not expect to. It's fun, and acceptably heavy. The breakdown's neat-o. Damn, that's been my favorite so far! GOOD.
Greenland - The Republic of Wolves - Oarsman: See, this is the kind of chorus that isn't that complicated or unique but is still sonically interesting. There's a good amount of stuff to like here. It's got that pretty atmospheric aesthetic going on. I wish the vocals were a little easier to hear, I guess, but I mean, it's a style. It's fine. Based on how this contest has been going this will probably get high points from me. DECENT.
Djibouti - The Dali Thundering Concept - The Myth of Happiness: Kinda wish I didn't know what the lyrics were. Aside from the lyrics, and some of the vocals, the music itself is kinda cool. I like the guitarists. I'm actually not sure which I like more between this and Iceland right now. Yeah, I think it's this one. I like the dynamism. DECENT.
Iceland - Devin Townsend - Why?: I always kinda liked Devin Townsend. Never got around to listening through any albums or anything like that. This is interesting. Not at all what I was expecting. Lol ok there's the heaviness. That was pretty funny. This was fun, and odd, and interesting, but I didn't care about it that much. DECENT.
Sudan - Lingua Ignota - MAY FAILURE BE YOUR NOOSE: Hey, this is that album Melon keeps talking about. Oughtta be fun. Whoah. It's kinda quiet, but then this dirty ass bass noise comes in and almost takes over the whole mix. Halfway through it transitions, but still basically sounds like the same song. This is fairly unsettling, which can make for interesting and compelling music, but I'm not getting a lot out of listening to this. Maybe it's because the beat feels kind of incidental here. I need ma beats. DECENT.
Turkey - Eyes of the Defiled - Apokalypsis: Pretty standard death metal. OK, there's a slightly electronic tinge to it starting around 1:30. And some singing, that's unexpected. Breakdown near 2:30 is cool. Yeah, this is ok. It's probably going to get middle to high points. DECENT.
Madagascar - Babymetal - Distortion: I like Babymetal. I was just wondering about them the other day actually, since they seemed like kind of a gimmick, I didn't know whether they'd last for long. And here they are! This is ok, but I don't like it quite as much as the stuff I heard a while back. DECENT.
Costa Rica - Gogol Bordello - Dogs were Barking: Oh hey I know this band. This is just different enough from most punk that I can kind of enjoy it. It's weird, it's fun. I'd watch em live. Whatever. DECENT.
Niger - Blindspott - Nil by mouth: This smacks so heavily of Linkin Park. This is ok. Pretty basic, but not bad. DECENT.
Leichtenstein - Slash ft. Miles Kennedy & The Conspirators - World on Fire: I did not know Slash was still making new music. That's interesting. That said, he never really belonged to the metal sects I liked. This is ok. I like the guitar. The chorus is boring. The drumming's pretty boring. For a song about "setting the world on fire" and "pushing it to the edge," it mainly sounds like it just wants to get through this set, go to the bar and have a beer. Which, fair. DECENT.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 64, Cyril wrote:very bad contest
I decided to organize my thoughts on this and tier the contests I've participated in. Yes yes difficult to do when there are many metrics one can rank by but etc.

Great

144 (2020 February) - Chico Buarque "Construção"

Good

141 (2019 December [Christmas Contest I]) - Edison Glass "Let Go"
136 (2019 September) - Myrath "Endure the Silence"
146 (2020 March) - This one!
145 (2020 February) - The Protomen "The Hounds"

Mediocre

142 (2019 December-2020 January [Christmas Contest II]) - Billie Eilish "When the Party's Over"
143 (2020 January) - Jason Richardson & Luke Holland feat. Rick Graham "Hos Down"

Torture

140 (2019 November) - Ghost "Cirice"
139 (2019 November) - Jump, Little Children "Cathedrals"
137 (2019 September/October) - BROTHERS OF METAL "Yggdrasil"
138 (2019 October) - きのこ帝国 「パラノイドパレード」

I'm glad I entered with 136 because immediately after that the contest was an
ordeal
for a subjective eternity.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Post by Cyril »

Tastes™

Return to “General Discussion”