Song Contest 147 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:33 pm

Post by PJ. »

I thought this contest was actually pretty good. Best recent one probably. My entry was great, and there were like 7 songs I legit enjoyed and 3 more I was fine giving points
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:13 am

Post by popsofctown »

I gave Costa Rica points only because I could swear this one sound in it comes from Paper Mario TTYD.

In theory I should be penalizing for plagiarism maybe
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:28 am

Post by PJ. »

That song 100% came out before Thousand Year Bore. Also penalize yourself for liking Thousand Year Snore.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:15 am

Post by Vi »

In post 46, Cyril wrote:glad to have helped drag you down
you're fishing for compliments; you have one of the better records of getting points out of me

---

while we're throwing hot takes on TTYD around
the game had several good aspects but the soundtrack wasn't one of them

I think the only salvageable BGM was the one in the X-Naut Fortress.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:05 pm

Post by Equinox »

In post 38, Song Contest wrote:Vijarada (Montenegro) and Equinox (Argentina) failed to vote. They take a 12-point penalty, and will have to dye their hair green for a month.
Vi finally helped me with this, so here we go, many months later.

Also, it has been suggested to me that I submit votes, since I went through the trouble of listening to all of the entries for this contest.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:54 pm

Post by schadd_ »

Spoiler:
bahamas mika grace kelly: kind of annoying vibe but the vocal flair is really fun. i like the falsetto the guy does in the chorus. this song feels like using tinder. 3.9

spain kelela take me apart: really liked this album. thick + juicy + fun. lovely vocal harmony. 4.4

iceland joliette vacío. very keen drums. neat guitar atmosphere. 3.7.

greenland the maine heaven we're already here: not very charmed by this. 3

usa honey harper someone else's dream: i find everything about this to be rather functional with the key exception of the background vocalist(s) who are very cool and good. 3.7
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Post by Cyril »

Bahamas – Another of the “this is fun enough but t doesn’t really stand out to me” types of songs. I don’t know who Grace Kelly is. (AVERAGE)

Iceland – There’s like a handful of people here who will be able to even tolerate this and that’s fine. Would you believe this is one of the most accessible songs on this album, too? It’s a really good album.

Libya – Hhmmm not wild about these particular vocals and the song as a whole feels a bit underdeveloped but it’s. Kinda neat. (AVERAGE)

Poland – There’s something about this kind of female-fronted punk-leaning rock that I just never can enjoy. I might just really dislike Joan Jett for no reason in particular. That’s the artist I always think of when I hear this kind of sound. (MEDIOCRE)

Greenland – I spent this entire song thinking it should be working for me more than it is, but that’s what relistens are for. It’s still the best of this set so far by a pretty decent margin, though. (DECENT)

Belarus – …and this is easily the best song of the contest so far, and it’s not even close. I feel like a better singer could make this work even better than it already does but, I mean, it already works very well as-is, and he does the climax justice anyways. (GOOD)

Hungary – Too long and repetitive to the point where I was sick of it before it was over. Not really that amusing on its own anyways. (MEDIOCRE)

USA – Oh, this is *flips through a thesaurus to find a synonym for “nice”* …nice. The outro sure does exist. I don’t have a ton to say about this, but I liked it. (DECENT)
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:57 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

I actually really enjoyed this contest gj.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:22 pm

Post by PJ. »

Yup gj
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:38 am

Post by Vi »

In post 55, schadd_ wrote:
Spoiler:
bahamas mika grace kelly:
[...]
this song feels like using tinder.
<cackle>
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

Spoiler:
(7/10) Bahamas - Mika - this guy has a very sexy voice mmm good pop song

(6/10) Spain - Kelela - kind of neat ethereal sounding. The bit near the end with the chord changes is great. Has some dubsteppy aspects I like less.

(5.5/10) Iceland - Joliette - surprisingly okay, the opening riff sounds like its going to be terrible but it somehow works with everything else. Good progression. Not huge on vocals.

(2.5/10) Greenland - The Maine - Ugh this band. They always seem like the most generic pop rock band. Forgettable.

(5/10) USA - Honey Harper - Thought it was gonna be country but it picked up nicely. Enjoyed a bit.

(1.5/10) Libya - Every Time I Die - I like turtles but I dont like this song

(5.5/10) Australia - Bad//Dreems - I had a laugh, this is cute and funny

(6/10) Hungary - Mighty Sparrow - I do like the song even if the lyrics are uhh but yeah fun caribean sound

(1/10) Djibouti - Cattle Decapitation - please do not decapitate the cattles

(5/10) Poland - Marina and the Diamonds - its me

(6/10) England - Pet Shop Boys - yay its the good 80s stuff

(4/10) Cote d'Ivoire - Playboy Manbaby - muh muh mustang ford > cadillac car

(3/10) Chad - Jaden - has a nice riff but I dont think he has any talent

Costa Rica - OMD: I listened to this album after hearing that it was an influence on MGMT. Definitely something that I can hear. While it's definitely kind of musically simple, I'm really a fan of the aggressive guitar with the droning synth. Also recommend Architecture and Morality from this album.

(3.5/10) Italy - Kenny Rodgers - too oldies

(4/10) Gabon - KennyHoopla - Like the 80s vibe at parts but don't like how it all fits together

(2.5/10) Belarus - Kevin Devine - Was expecting a more country voice. He sounds like the guy from Death Cab on helium

(9.5/10) Egypt - Kishi Bashi - enjoy your free points

(7.5/10) Sudan - Ondatropica - cool tropical jazz I like

(2/10) Micronesia - Omnitica - cheesy

(3/10) Turkey - Socratic - I dont like these sad boi bands they arent sad enough

(5/10) Fiji - Frank Carter - pretty okay got the cool distortion

(3/10) Canada - Hakushi Hasegawa - I normally like weirdness but something about this doesn't work for me

I was lazy
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

weird production choices is like my whole thing
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:45 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Alright alright alright everyone, I'm fully caffeinated and have my trusty piece packed and ready to go. I've been a productive person today and have my work done, so it's time to spark this and listen to some new jams. Here we go.

Gabon- KennyHoopla- How will i rest...- initial expectations subverted in the best way. I love raw vocals like this, this is a good song. Added.

Greenland- The Maine- Heaven, were already here- I liked this one quite a bit, good mix of energy and lyrics and solid musically. This got added to my list.

Fiji- Frank Carter- Crowbar- this had me toe tapping and nodding my head along. I enjoyed the build ups pay offs and silver pants. Added.

USA- Honey Harper- Someone elses dream- I was worried at first because a Faith Hill song with the same name came up for this one, I was very happily surprised to find that this has nothing to do with that and this man has the voice of a country angel.

Egypt- Kishi Bashi- Once Upon- this is the contest that is just turing my expectations upsidedown and im loving it. This was weird and funky and melodic, and spacey and the vocals were great. This reminds me a lot of Earth, Wind & Fire which my mom would put on loud when she was cleaning and sing along too.

Poland- Marina and the Diamonds- Bubblegum Bitch- Love me some Marina, the lyrical content vs what she sounds like is amazing, like in Teen Idol, Lonely Hearts Club and Buying Stars.

England- Pet Shop Boys- Its a sin- I knew the name but had to look up why, West End Girls, and as soon as I saw that I could hear it in the song. Very reminiscent of my younger days, I have a strong affinity for songs from the 80's and 90's as those were my formative years.

Cote d'Ivoire- Playboy Manbaby- Cadillac Car- "I told a lot of lies in this song," the best line of any song ever. I dug this.

Libya- Every Time I Die- Turtle all the way down- the cadence was interesting, and the lack of yelling incomprehensible lyrics was nice. Kinda reminded me of late 90s spoken word hardcore.

Belarus- Kevin Devine- Brothers Blood- the tinny guitar brought me in immediately but the vocals just werent there for me. There is a lot of potential but you need a stronger voice to carry something like that, Noah Hunt comes to mind for the voice type im thinking .

Bahamas- Mika- Grace kelly- weird is the best way. I don't think this would ever works its way into a normal rotation for me, but i remember this coming out and being interesting, and I havent heard about it again since now and I enjoyed it again. See you in another 10 years or so Mika!

Spain- Kelela- Take me apart- This is ok, she has a beautiful voice, but its just not my style so much.

Italy- Kenny Rogers- Gambler- classic song, not one that ive ever been very partial too. Respect though.

Sudan- Ondatropica- Remando- this was ok.

Iceland- Joliette- Vacio- I liked them better when they went by At The Drive-In.

Djibouti- Cattle Decapitation- Bring back the plague- the 2nd vocal where is sounds like a rejected demon from Army of Darkness took over ruined this.

Costa Rica- Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark- New stone age- interestingly dense beat, i enjoyed it, but maybe more as an instrumental. The vocals just distracted me from the music without adding much to it.

Canada- Hakushi Hasegawa- Only you- I'm not sure what was going on here exactly, but FF had a seizure watching whatever video this is and died. RIP

Australia- Bad//Dreems- I wanna self isolate with you- not a fan of topical songs like this.

Micronesia- Omnitica- Its pronounced Omnitica- ok.

Hungary- Mighty Sparrow- Ah Fraid Pussy Bite Me-
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 62, Formerfish wrote:Belarus- Kevin Devine- Brothers Blood- the tinny guitar brought me in immediately but the vocals just werent there for me. There is a lot of potential but you need a stronger voice to carry something like that, Noah Hunt comes to mind for the voice type im thinking .
There might be a better voice for this song, but that's not it, as far as I can tell. It feels too 'controlled'. For this song, if you don't sound like you're 'falling apart' at the end, by design or vocal limitation, then the climax sounds insincere.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:20 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due at midnight Pacific Time tonight!
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:30 pm

Post by T-Bone »

I don't think there are any songs I'll be adding to my playlist, although I was able to rate enough songs for points.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:04 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Wow that was a ridiculously good contest. Like I am very happy with pretty much my entire top 10 winning and that is not a usual feeling.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:26 pm

Post by Cyril »

actually had more songs i wanted to give points to than spots to give out points, for once, so i guess i'll echo the sentiment that this was above average? belarus is the best song i've heard in any contest for a long while, genuinely better than what i sent even
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Rabble
Show

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:13 pm

Post by Plotinus »

voting right now at the last minute
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:17 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

rabble
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:18 pm

Post by Plotinus »

These songs were all right

Chad 8.3 Jaden - Icon
Italy 8.1 Kenny Rogers - The Gambler.mp3
Greenland 8 Heaven, We're Already Here · The Maine
Poland 7 Bubblegum Bitch - Marina & The Diamonds

I like The Gambler more than that but I already knew the song and it's not Carribean
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 pm

Post by Formerfish »

I realize that Jaden can be divisive but i dug the song and its been stuck in my head for a few weeks now, it made its way onto my playlist quickly.

I'm just counting down the contests until I can enter the other song thats been hitting me hard.

Next contest is going to be a good joke song or a legit banger.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 am

Post by PJ. »

i feel like jaden being divisive is less important than rap being divisive in this group
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 am

Post by Song Contest »

I will start posting results in about 10 minutes!

Return to “General Discussion”