Tell me what (non-fiction) books to read!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Tell me what (non-fiction) books to read!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2020 2:01 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

Hi all well learned gentlepeople and scholars. I am in the process of making out my summer reading list. Now that the semester is over, I am finally liberated, for a time, to read freely again!

The current docket is quite short and will be finished within the week. I need your recommendations. Since I don't have to read bullshit articles or commentaries any more, thank the good lord, I am open to suggestion. I'll keep track of what I read here. My average pages per day will be around 100-150. Density or difficulty of text is no problem. As most of you know I'm into academic philosophy, so suggestions along those lines would be cool, but I'm also looking for breadth of knowledge as well. So if you have a good history or psychology book that would be awesome. I will, however, refuse to read post modern garbage (no Faucultio or Derradick thank you very much, been there, ain't gonna back there again). Analytic philosophy will also be pushed to the bottom of the queue on principle.

Currently reading:
On the Event, Contributions to Philosophy
, Martin Heidegger.
p. 178/ 410
ETA, Tuesday, 26th of May. Started, May 17th

List to read:
Between the world and me
by ta-tehisi coats
What the truth sounds like
by Michael Eric Dyson

Finished:
The Prince
, Machiavelli.
p. 98
FINISHED, Wednesday, 20th of May. Started May 19th
The Case for Reparations
P. ~20
FINISHED, Tuesday, 26th of May. Started May 26th.
9 Stories
by J.D Salinger
p. 302
. Started 5/30/2020, finished, 5/30/2020
Last edited by CooLDoG on Sat May 30, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
after a wank.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Post by Porkens »

Between the world and me by ta-nehisi coats
What the truth sounds like by Michael Eric Dyson
Last edited by Porkens on Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 4:50 am

Post by CooLDoG »

great suggestions!

after a wank.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 5:07 am

Post by Porkens »

Wow Nice!
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 8:40 am

Post by CooLDoG »

The Prince Review,

Fantastic book. Was filled with snapping quotes. The best egocentric ethics ever. Not concerned with grounding why one ought to be the leader, but about action guiding principles. immanently pragmatic and not short of detailed examples to prove his points. Must read for any leader or manager who must maintain control.

----
@Porkens, Not sure if Ta-nehisi coats counts as post modern garbage or not. I hope it isn't just griping and complaining (alla Young/Butler.... I hope he can complete a sentence unlike them as well *sigh* Judith butler *sigh*). I am very, very excited for the other book though. Looks super cool. I should read Coats in any way though. I think I'll read the Dyson first.
after a wank.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 2:37 pm

Post by Porkens »

Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2020 7:09 am

Post by Starbuck »

I've been on a bit of a nonfiction kick, as well. I do more of my nonfiction on audio, but it works. I do book challenges with prompts each year that have helped me broaden my horizons a bit, too.

Here's a short list:

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren
The Story of More by Hope Jahren
Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
The Library Book by Susan Orlean
Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
To Pixar and Beyond: My Unlikely Journey with Steve Jobs to Make Entertainment History by Lawrence Levy
The Good Pirates of the Forgotten Bayous: Fighting to Save a Way of Life in the Wake of Hurricane Katrina by Ken Wells (this one is kinda rare and I was lucky my library had a copy)
As You Wish by Cary Elwes
Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming

I also have a big thing for graphic memoirs, so a few of those if you're interested:

Two Generals by Scott Chantler
They Called Us Enemy by George Takei
the entire March series by Senator John Lewis
The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui
A Fire Story by Brian Fies
anything by Lucy Knisley
Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe
Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb by Jonathan Fetter-Vorm

I don't know if anything fits in with what you asked, but I hope something perks your interest.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2020 12:15 pm

Post by bugspray »

Toki Pona: The Language of Good by Sonja Lang
MY PRONOUNS ARE THEY/THEM

do not assume my posts follow coherency they do not imagine that every time i post i put half of my knowledge into a clone and then the clone murders me
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2020 4:09 pm

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2020 3:50 am

Post by CooLDoG »

Great suggestions. I'm going to put the Heidegger on the back burner for now. I'm not ready to start the section on the leap, and I kinda lost interest. Being and Time is my favorite book, but after 150 or so pages, and having read basically everything else that he has written that has been translated, I think I'ma give up on the text. Not my cup of tea. I am eagerly awaiting the two books I ordered.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS. I'll parse through them, and see which ones I want to order.
after a wank.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2020 3:51 am

Post by CooLDoG »

after a wank.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2020 4:36 am

Post by CooLDoG »

So far, I think the argument needs to be made that the contract seller should have been much, much more strictly regulated. I'm not denying racism here. ALSO, an argument for increased education and literacy also needs to be made. I just don't see why, "you got screwed over" then leads to "reparations". I mean, he would have to argue that anybody who has taken out a pay-day loan needs to reparations as well (not necessarily going to disagree with that). We could make the same argument for poor white folks like on my mom's side of the family who also got screwed out of land and were basically indentured to bigger land owners. I do agree that black people were treated more maliciously with outright theft and forcing them to sell assets. However, why are we restricting reparations to just black people. Shouldn't all people that got screwed over by predatory practices which the government knew about and let happen be given reparations? This is sort of a "uniqueness question". I'm sure the argument is coming after establishing the very clear harms, but you are going to run into an is/ought problem. Just because things happened this way, does not then go onto imply a moral reason for some proposition. He should have quoted Hume instead of Locke lol.
One thread of thinking in the African American community holds that these depressing numbers partially stem from cultural pathologies that can be altered through individual grit and exceptionally good behavior. (In 2011, Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, responding to violence among young black males, put the blame on the family: “Too many men making too many babies they don’t want to take care of, and then we end up dealing with your children.” Nutter turned to those presumably fatherless babies: “Pull your pants up and buy a belt, because no one wants to see your underwear or the crack of your butt.”) The thread is as old as black politics itself. It is also wrong. The kind of trenchant racism to which black people have persistently been subjected can never be defeated by making its victims more respectable. The essence of American racism is disrespect. And in the wake of the grim numbers, we see the grim inheritance.
I agree with him from a policy perspective. We should do more to help poor people escape from their poverty. However, I disagree with him on the personal level. One should always try to better themselves. If it is true that there is a cultural norm of being single parents. If education is not valued. And if people resign themselves to their lot in poverty, then no amount of government assistance will get you out of that. Ignoring the individual for the collective is a really, really bad approach. It also absolves people of responsibility for their actions. Again, I take the point that to a great extent there is a lack of opportunity. BUT, that should not prevent a healthy individualism and should certainly not excuse bad character.
Broach the topic of reparations today and a barrage of questions inevitably follows: Who will be paid? How much will they be paid? Who will pay?
I mean, this is the material policy question, no? Obviously the fed would just print fucking money, so the who will pay is meaningless. But, the who will BE paid and the How much are a sticking point. I don't like the idea of cutting a check, and then next year cutting a check again, and then again, and again. What is the point of satisfaction here? What would satisfy the debt? I guess the question is at what point would people stop complaining at being screwed over. Right? That's the issue. YOu are making right passed atrocity, but that number can neither be infinite nor can it be undefinable. Other wise you are essentially just arguing for welfare. Which, again, I'm totally for. I want more welfare (shit, I barely make above the poverty line myself) and I think things like a UBI would be a good idea. But these are categorically different from reparations.
One cannot escape the question by hand-waving at the past, disavowing the acts of one’s ancestors, nor by citing a recent date of ancestral immigration. The last slaveholder has been dead for a very long time
100% agree.
One cannot escape the question by hand-waving at the past, disavowing the acts of one’s ancestors, nor by citing a recent date of ancestral immigration. The last slaveholder has been dead for a very long time
People often forget that there were some very, very discriminatory housing practices that were part of this as well.
To keep up with his payments and keep his heat on, Clyde Ross took a second job at the post office and then a third job delivering pizza. His wife took a job working at Marshall Field. He had to take some of his children out of private school. He was not able to be at home to supervise his children or help them with their homework. Money
I know plenty of poor white folks (white trash) in the exact same situation. Again, why uniquely black injustice and not simply reparations for injustice qua injustice. I need a moral argument for this and not just a list of facts.

On the drug problem. Set-up government rehab programs for users. Release all non-violent drug users and parole violators. Harsh punishment and rehab for drug pushers. Again, I think some personal responsibility might go a long here. Don't take hard drugs. I know, but just don't do them. Saying, "they had no choice" really removes the agency of black people. I don't view black people as being ONLY victims and ONLY determined by their circumstances. Believing the opposite seems pretty racist to me, for you view them as less than the normal, white, human.
Is affirmative action meant to increase “diversity”? If so, it only tangentially relates to the specific problems of black people.
Agree 100%
Liberals today mostly view racism not as an active, distinct evil but as a relative of white poverty and inequality.
Yes and no, right. If racism is meant to be anything specific it can't simply be inequality.
he lie ignores the fact that closing the “achievement gap” will do nothing to close the “injury gap,” in which black college graduates still suffer higher unemployment rates than white college graduates, and black job applicants without criminal records enjoy roughly the same chance of getting hired as white applicants with criminal records.
Good. 100% agree.
Perhaps no statistic better illustrates the enduring legacy of our country’s shameful history of treating black people as sub-citizens, sub-Americans, and sub-humans than the wealth gap. Reparations would seek to close this chasm.
Yeah, but why not try to close the wealth gap for all, and only focus on black people. I still have trouble understanding the uniqueness here. Again, I am all for welfare. I am all for all of that shit. But why make it exclusive for the black community, and not for all the poor emigrants, all the disenfranchised white people, etc. Example, I worked with some Somalian emigrant highschool children. They were not "black" in the American sense and viewed themselves as a unique cultural group. They were the "somali kids" and others viewed them in that light. They needed some help, damnit. Same for Latin people. Same for other emigrants.

The Germany example is a bit silly in my honest opinion. It forgets that the state of Israel was created. It also forgets what happened the last time we destroyed a nation after a massive war economically.
--------
Good article, and a good writer!!!!!!
after a wank.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

One book that I really liked to read (in German) was I Called Him Necktie by Milena Michiko Flasar. Probably because I could really relate to it.
Another book, which you might know or have read already; A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Beautiful storytelling.
Currently away from site for indeterminate time (except for Song Contest)
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 2:39 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

I started reading J.d Salinger's Nine Stories after the space x launch and was spell bound. Finished it in one day. The last 5 pages are a real trip!
after a wank.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 2:54 pm

Post by Equinox »

Spoiler: Original Post
In post 11, CooLDoG wrote:So far, I think the argument needs to be made that the contract seller should have been much, much more strictly regulated. I'm not denying racism here. ALSO, an argument for increased education and literacy also needs to be made. I just don't see why, "you got screwed over" then leads to "reparations". I mean, he would have to argue that anybody who has taken out a pay-day loan needs to reparations as well (not necessarily going to disagree with that). We could make the same argument for poor white folks like on my mom's side of the family who also got screwed out of land and were basically indentured to bigger land owners. I do agree that black people were treated more maliciously with outright theft and forcing them to sell assets. However, why are we restricting reparations to just black people. Shouldn't all people that got screwed over by predatory practices which the government knew about and let happen be given reparations? This is sort of a "uniqueness question". I'm sure the argument is coming after establishing the very clear harms, but you are going to run into an is/ought problem. Just because things happened this way, does not then go onto imply a moral reason for some proposition. He should have quoted Hume instead of Locke lol.
One thread of thinking in the African American community holds that these depressing numbers partially stem from cultural pathologies that can be altered through individual grit and exceptionally good behavior. (In 2011, Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, responding to violence among young black males, put the blame on the family: “Too many men making too many babies they don’t want to take care of, and then we end up dealing with your children.” Nutter turned to those presumably fatherless babies: “Pull your pants up and buy a belt, because no one wants to see your underwear or the crack of your butt.”) The thread is as old as black politics itself. It is also wrong. The kind of trenchant racism to which black people have persistently been subjected can never be defeated by making its victims more respectable. The essence of American racism is disrespect. And in the wake of the grim numbers, we see the grim inheritance.
I agree with him from a policy perspective. We should do more to help poor people escape from their poverty. However, I disagree with him on the personal level. One should always try to better themselves. If it is true that there is a cultural norm of being single parents. If education is not valued. And if people resign themselves to their lot in poverty, then no amount of government assistance will get you out of that. Ignoring the individual for the collective is a really, really bad approach. It also absolves people of responsibility for their actions. Again, I take the point that to a great extent there is a lack of opportunity. BUT, that should not prevent a healthy individualism and should certainly not excuse bad character.
Broach the topic of reparations today and a barrage of questions inevitably follows: Who will be paid? How much will they be paid? Who will pay?
I mean, this is the material policy question, no? Obviously the fed would just print fucking money, so the who will pay is meaningless. But, the who will BE paid and the How much are a sticking point. I don't like the idea of cutting a check, and then next year cutting a check again, and then again, and again. What is the point of satisfaction here? What would satisfy the debt? I guess the question is at what point would people stop complaining at being screwed over. Right? That's the issue. YOu are making right passed atrocity, but that number can neither be infinite nor can it be undefinable. Other wise you are essentially just arguing for welfare. Which, again, I'm totally for. I want more welfare (shit, I barely make above the poverty line myself) and I think things like a UBI would be a good idea. But these are categorically different from reparations.
100% agree.
People often forget that there were some very, very discriminatory housing practices that were part of this as well.
To keep up with his payments and keep his heat on, Clyde Ross took a second job at the post office and then a third job delivering pizza. His wife took a job working at Marshall Field. He had to take some of his children out of private school. He was not able to be at home to supervise his children or help them with their homework. Money
I know plenty of poor white folks (white trash) in the exact same situation. Again, why uniquely black injustice and not simply reparations for injustice qua injustice. I need a moral argument for this and not just a list of facts.

On the drug problem. Set-up government rehab programs for users. Release all non-violent drug users and parole violators. Harsh punishment and rehab for drug pushers. Again, I think some personal responsibility might go a long here. Don't take hard drugs. I know, but just don't do them. Saying, "they had no choice" really removes the agency of black people. I don't view black people as being ONLY victims and ONLY determined by their circumstances. Believing the opposite seems pretty racist to me, for you view them as less than the normal, white, human.
Is affirmative action meant to increase “diversity”? If so, it only tangentially relates to the specific problems of black people.
Agree 100%
Liberals today mostly view racism not as an active, distinct evil but as a relative of white poverty and inequality.
Yes and no, right. If racism is meant to be anything specific it can't simply be inequality.
he lie ignores the fact that closing the “achievement gap” will do nothing to close the “injury gap,” in which black college graduates still suffer higher unemployment rates than white college graduates, and black job applicants without criminal records enjoy roughly the same chance of getting hired as white applicants with criminal records.
Good. 100% agree.
Perhaps no statistic better illustrates the enduring legacy of our country’s shameful history of treating black people as sub-citizens, sub-Americans, and sub-humans than the wealth gap. Reparations would seek to close this chasm.
Yeah, but why not try to close the wealth gap for all, and only focus on black people. I still have trouble understanding the uniqueness here. Again, I am all for welfare. I am all for all of that shit. But why make it exclusive for the black community, and not for all the poor emigrants, all the disenfranchised white people, etc. Example, I worked with some Somalian emigrant highschool children. They were not "black" in the American sense and viewed themselves as a unique cultural group. They were the "somali kids" and others viewed them in that light. They needed some help, damnit. Same for Latin people. Same for other emigrants.

The Germany example is a bit silly in my honest opinion. It forgets that the state of Israel was created. It also forgets what happened the last time we destroyed a nation after a massive war economically.
--------
Good article, and a good writer!!!!!!

It's kind of hard to read your post as anything other than #AllLivesMatter, which is definitely a take when you're responding to an article about systemic oppression of Black people in the U.S. at a time when there are international protests about the systemic oppression of Black people.

This is probably not a productive post as I sense that you want to get into a philosophical argument about this, and I'm not qualified for that fight. I just wanted to call out that your post is illustrative of why it can be tiring to talk about how American inequities are deeply racial.

Return to “General Discussion”