sjashed's top 110 songs

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:34 pm

hello! i have Active Listened to something like 1200 albums in my latest bunch of years which means i've absorbed something like 18000 Tracks into my Ears and Brain. i will attempt to synthesize this into my epic favorite .6%. i will have at most 5 songs for any given artist (certain discographies would unfortunately be very dominant if not for this)

i decided not to wait for tool to finish. lol. its not like im going to be pulling his clickthroughs away. the list was just BURSTING AT THE SEAMS to be RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC

things to look out for!!:
  • vocal harmony
  • fun electronic noises and sounds.
  • touching language that fits easily into the illiterate brain
  • Subtlety
  • things that are Cool New and Interesting!
  • and things you might not expect!!!!!!!!!!!
  • music released between 2018 and 2020
  • there might be a special guest!!!!!!
  • links in images

Oh well lets get on with it.!

• album: you forgot it in the people (4.5 ish)
  • released: 2002
  • genre: indie rock or whatever
  • first listened: january 2018
"Subtle" and "Poetic". paints a pretty simple and clear story populated with a handful of brutal details, told over a comfortable and bittersweet musical vibe which makes it the emotional version of an earworm.

the offbeat drum pattern and guitar loop (which open the song wonderfully) on their own are really strong and the rest of the song is happy to give them space; the chorus of the song could be described as letting the song title rest gently on top of them. the quiet bass, piano, synth and brass tones that finish the latter section of the song also provide the nice feeling of a large music collective.
Last edited by schadd_ on Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
mystery box of silver 10 large theme!! signups. | to be clear: there will be a time, after you and i are gone, when this will be allowed
todays featured user: caledfwitch

top 3,200 songs thread

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:39 pm

oh wow the youtube video link has "GAY" in it
mystery box of silver 10 large theme!! signups. | to be clear: there will be a time, after you and i are gone, when this will be allowed

top 3,200 songs thread

Errantparabola
Composed.

Pronoun: She

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:29 pm

i like vocal harmony and electronic sounds
Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops. --implosion

provided

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:32 pm

i hate them

top 3,200 songs thread

Errantparabola
Composed.

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:34 pm

Me too
Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops. --implosion

provided

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:48 pm

what in the fuck is subtlety
, among others.

On British time, currently UTC+1

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:49 pm

109. lucius - go home (live ver)

the only thing that i can say is i don't need you anyway
i don't need you, go home
go home

• album: wildewoman (4.55 wd)
  • released: 2013
  • genre: indie rock
  • first listened: february 2018
as i grow content with the next entry to be eliminated, the song wants to pour out of me - i stop needing to be critical of it and as such it burrows into my head and i'm like singing it all day. this song is a key example of that. this chorus is insanely good. it spills out the release to this painful tension of the song and gets delivered so emotionally, and the two singers are perfectly on the same wavelength yet also give an insanely good two-poled harmony. the rest of the song isn't an absolute grand slam but it is still perfectly good and does exactly what it needs to do.

another poster child of subtlety with respect to the two guitars and drums here. in particular, having two guitarists that combine to fill only like half of the airtime is a really key move; one of them uses a slide which is wickedly underrated on the electric guitar (everybody's like oh look at me i can bend the strings. you look like fools doing that. except st vincent in the video for cruel) which is a countermelody Type of Thing that gives a comparable performance to the vocalists.

i choose the live version because it's slower and i think it underscores the drama of the song a little bit more - at first i was like well, that makes it more boring. lol. but having listened to it i remembered that this is one of my favorite songs and it's that fact that it milks the space so hard that makes it good. also i really like the aesthetic - the lighting & outfitting is great and the filming adds yet another layer to the brooding lifelike-ness of the song. that said i think the camera like, cross-fades to two different feeds of the same girl a bunch of times which makes it even harder for me to distinguish them for the little header art. lol.

top 3,200 songs thread

Errantparabola
Composed.

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:16 pm

love that song

provided

Errantparabola
Composed.

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 pm

Had a mind to supportively release a list in this thread as well davsto style

110. Youth Lagoon - Highway Patrol Stun Gun
HOW would i describe. - soothing emotional nighttime pop vibes
WHAT is the album. - savage hills ball room. probably like um... a 3.5 or a 4.
WHO introduced it. - scummer bipolarchemist linked me to it. yes!!! i like bpc!!!!
HAVE i cried to it. - no.
DO i have other comments. - no.

109. Mitski - Two Slow Dancers
HOW would i describe. - amazing emotional gaysian "life passes us by" narrative sparse sound
WHAT is the album. - be the cowboy. 5/5 and a top 10 OAT album
WHO introduced it. - someone i know in real life introduced me to mitski when this album originally came out.
HAVE i cried to it. - yes. probably only once or twice.
DO i have other comments. - good song to mourn a situation in which happiness is out of reach simply due to a matter of timing.

provided

Zulfy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:53 pm

Spoiler:
15 step
2 + 2 = 5
4 minute warning
airbag
all i need
the amazing sounds of orgy
anyone can play guitar
backdrifts
banana co.
bangers + mash
the bends
bishop's robes
black star
bloom
blow out
bodysnatchers
bones
bullet proof..I wish I was
Burn the witch
the butcher
climbing up the walls
codex
coke babies
creep
cuttooth
the daily mail
daydreaming
decks dark
desert island disk
dollars and cents
down is the new up
electioneering
everything in its right place
exit music (for a film)
faithless, the wonder boy
fake plastic trees
fast-track
faust arp
feral
fitter happier
fog
ful stop
gagging order
give up the ghost
glass eyes
the gloaming
go slowly
go to sleep
harry patch (in memory of)
high and dry
house of cards
how can you be sure
how do you?
How I made my millions
how to disappear completely
Hunting Bears
I am a Wicked Child
I am Citizen Insane
I can't
I might be wrong
I promise
I want none of this
I will
Identikit
Idioteque
Ill Wind
In Limbo
India Rubber
Inside My Head
Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Just
Karma Police
Kid A
Killer Cars
Kinetic
Knives Out
Last Flowers
Let Down
Lewis (Mistreated)
Life in a Glasshouse
Lift
Like Spinning Plates
Little by Little
Lotus Flower
Lozenge of Love
Lucky
Lull
Lurgee
Man of War
Maquiladora
Meeting in the Aisle
Melatonin
Million Dollar Question
MK 1
MK 2
Molasses
Morning Bell
Morning Mr Magpie
Motion Picture Soundtrack
My Iron Lung
Myxomatosis
The National Anthem
(Nice Dream)
No Surprises
Nothing Touches Me
Nude
The Numbers
Optimistic
Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box
Palo Alto
*throws red jar at the ground*

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:07 am

In post 9, Zulfy wrote:Meeting in the Aisle

i like this one. lol

top 3,200 songs thread

toolenduso
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:58 pm

u sunuvabitch schadd u had to 1 up me by adding 10 songs
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437

"THIS IS SOLID BEER CAP LOGIC." -- LlamaFluff

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:55 pm

108. death grips - beware

i light my torch and burnett
i am the beast i worship

• album: exmilitary (4.5)
  • released: 2011
  • genre: death grips whatever
  • first listened: july 2019
this is the only death grips song that will be on this list. lol. the refrain is really good. it has the intense triumphant death grips energy. there's an undeniably phenomenal nature of mr. burnetts lyrics and vocal style and the production on exmilitary is a powerful but also (relatively) sparse accompaniment to it which results in this fat handful of iconic soungs. you really can't beat "i am the beast i worship" for me.

there's a handful of things holding this back - i don't really like the intro, the song isn't like all that exciting, also there is the whole redditosity to it. like i remember when i first heard this song thinking, oh, that's what all those reply chains and whatever were talking about. in the comments of the linked video is anthony fantano saying this is Weird, in a Good Way from 9 years ago.

top 3,200 songs thread

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:57 pm

In post 11, toolenduso wrote:u sunuvabitch schadd u had to 1 up me by adding 10 songs

the plan was initially to do 105 songs as an epic flex and then as i had come up with a bunch of songs i found it incredibly hard to cut things from the list so 110 was like already a horribly low amount

top 3,200 songs thread

toolenduso
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:05 pm

hell yeah. there was a time I considered this my favorite death grips song, but then other stuff just sorta beat it out I guess. It's still one of my favorites from them. Just feels so epic.

In post 12, schadd_ wrote:i light my torch and burnett

I lol'd

In post 12, schadd_ wrote:[*]genre: death grips whatever

accurate
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437

"THIS IS SOLID BEER CAP LOGIC." -- LlamaFluff

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:04 pm

107. bjork - pluto

explode this body of me, oooo

• album: homogenic (4.7)
  • released: 1997
  • genre: electronic pop
  • first listened: may 2019
bjork desperately wants to be on this list but has tragically limited representation (i mean that in the sense of like, a lot of her songs narrowly miss it. lol. she is not personally invested in or aware of the list to my knowledge). it is no hot take that she has this insanely good and interesting general artistry and, on a discography level, she is one of my epic favorite artists.

pluto i revisited like, a week ago, like the moment i was finalizing the list of songs i would draw from. this song is just insanely good, and also it has a great sampler of bjork's greatest strengths: interesting and novel electronic soundscapes and uncomparably expressive vocals. these two ships collide deliciously here - the "oooohwhoaoahhh" that has a slight filter on it is a great moment. it's also quite concise, and not so hard to get a sense of the actual words she's saying (the latter point is kind of a neutral. lol. i love not knowing what shes saying. go off. communicate us nothing)

great track. feels like a bunch of things being torn apart. files being deleted. et cetera

top 3,200 songs thread

Cheetory6
MS Painter

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:06 am

Beware definitely feels underrated.

I should really give Bjork a chance idk why I haven't yet.

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:28 pm

106. bjeck - hotwax

yo soy un disco quebrado
no tengo chicle en el cerebro

• album: odelay (4.6 wd)
  • released: 1996
  • genre: "alternative" "folk" ????
  • first listened: an unknowably old time (2014)
there was a time where beck was one of my wickedly favorite artists. i would have listened to this song like 50 times in high school. there's nothing i can point to as a transcendentally good part of the song and it feels like it's rude to the other tracks that it is even on the list. lol. i imagine this is how shafted feels about every song he likes

this all being said. it does slap. becks lyrics (For instance) are often this sort of neutral-celebratory exploration of a certain type of person - hotwax (and adjacently, odelay as a whole) is this hodgepodge of feelings and recollections of a small town conspiracy theorist sort. it's like fun. pretty much every line is at least a little bit memorable and some of them manage to have a potent vibe synthesis of "this sentence has never been spoken before" and "this sentence was written into my brain when i was born" - see "driving my pig while the band's taking pictures in the grass, and my radio's smashed"; "with the chainsmoke kansas flash dance ass pants"; "stealing pesos outta my brain / hazard signs down the alamo lanes"

the hodgepodge-osity doesnt end at the lyrics - the bass and weird clicky acoustic guitar form a nomadic basis for most of the song but you get other stuff like bweaow synth + accordion, or the vocal harmony in the chorus that features some distorted vocoder thing. the song has this whole effect that seems like the precipitation of a bunch of field research, or something. its fun.

top 3,200 songs thread

Errantparabola
Composed.

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:08 pm

i remember that one! i like it!

provided

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:12 pm

In post 16, Cheetory6 wrote:Beware definitely feels underrated.

idk whether you mean on my list on in general. in any case. I wouldnt worry about it.

In post 16, Cheetory6 wrote:I should really give Bjork a chance idk why I haven't yet.

yes

In post 18, Errantparabola wrote:i remember that one! i like it!

oh fuck good !!!

top 3,200 songs thread

Cheetory6
MS Painter

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:35 pm

In post 19, schadd_ wrote:in general
this one!

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:09 pm

In post 19, schadd_ wrote:I wouldnt worry about it.

top 3,200 songs thread

Errantparabola
Composed.

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:11 pm

108. Ibeyi - Transmission / Michaelion
HOW would i describe. - wintry, soothing, ancient folksong vibes sophisticated rich sound
WHAT is the album. - ibeyi ash. pretty high 4/5
WHO introduced it. - one of my professors (music professor!) played one of their songs
DO i have other comments. - no.

107. Brockhampton - STAINS
HOW would i describe. - idk it's just brockhampton. hip hop group tight sound scrappy production.
WHAT is the album. - saturation iii. straddles the line between a 3.5 and 4.
WHO introduced it. - feel like i've always kind of just known about brockhampton. literally no idea.
DO i have other comments. - my favorite brockhampton song. by a hefty margin actually. so we're done with them for the rest of it. love "the one gay, the one selling drugs..." interlude, also the chord loop addicting. all the verses slap but my fave is the one who turned out to be like an evil sexual abuser. i like considered removing it from the list for that and it's kind of found its way down near the bottom (i'm kind of using this as an honorable mention space for songs that i see to be in the top 100 quality but also have reasons to not be there).

106. Cocteau Twins - Athol-Brose
HOW would i describe. - this song is like flying. colorful pulsating twirling whirlwind.
WHAT is the album. - cocteau twins blue bell knoll. really begging to be in the top 10 OAT albums.
WHO introduced it. - mafiascum user schadd and movie perks of being a wallflower joint effort for cocteau twins.
DO i have other comments. - wanted to allow this song to be in the 80s or 90s but decided that it hasn't really stood the test of time (it's about three weeks old to my ears). so kind of wanted to be cautious about it. deserves a kissed-out red shoutout

provided

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:53 pm

betty betty city bow
betty betty deedy baw

top 3,200 songs thread

schadd_
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:33 pm

105. dean blunt & inga copeland - 4

this year
our year

• album: black is beautiful (4.8)
  • released: 2012
  • genre: electronic
  • first listened: december 2019
an incredibly sexy smooth song. a small handful of instrumental voices that all have a distinct character - the song is primarily a coy back and forth between a mysterious electric piano and a simple synth bass, and the rest feels like a sequence of winks and whispers. all of these elements suggest that care was given to how they sound and where they are, building a masterpiece of sparseness.

the last few moments of it in particular, where we are left with the piano and the bass saying "no you hang up first" feel like a sneak peek into a special chemistry of two people after everyone else is gone. there is also this missed hit of the bass at the end that sounds like the two of them leaving in opposite directions and the bass turns around and starts to say something but notices the piano is out of earshot and sort of gives up halfway through the word. and then "Yeup" signals the actual close of the song. its good.

top 3,200 songs thread

Next
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion