Song Contest 152 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:46 am

Post by Aristophanes »

This man had the anger of 2020 way back in 2007!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:30 am

Post by PJ. »

being too angry at the age of 16 turns your 20s into one of those dreams where you can't find what you're looking for.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:09 am

Post by toolenduso »

ego, also:

1. i did a youtube playlist a while ago but stopped because of non-youtube entries
2. somebody said they use python to scrape the entry links, would you mind sharing that script with me?
3. still need to put the results from last contest into the archive, sry, i will do that before too long
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:33 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 52, toolenduso wrote:2. somebody said they use python to scrape the entry links, would you mind sharing that script with me?
songContest.py

usage: just type

Code: Select all

songContest.py "https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83548"
and it will download everything to ~/Music/SC152/, but you can specify a different directory at runtime if you want.

It uses beautiful soup to parse the HTML and find the links to the songs. It uses youtube-dl to download youtube songs or it tries to download other songs with wget if it detects a file extension that suggests that'll work. If it can't handle a link it'll output an error message to the console.

It uses threading to speed the downloads up.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:46 am

Post by toolenduso »

That's excellent, thank you very much. I started like years ago trying to learn Python and basically hit a wall when I realized I didn't have an easy way to toy around with it, which is basically how I learn anything code-related. Having some code that deals with something I'm familiar with, where I can go through line by line and figure out how it works, will be very instructive.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 am

Post by toolenduso »

I also very much appreciate the documentation. I am personally very bad about such efforts when I make things
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:08 am

Post by Plotinus »

I'm happy to answer any questions about what parts of it do.

This was my first time using threading and there's some room for improvement -- it works and doesn't do anything bad, but it would be better if it outputted all the error messages at the end, instead I have to scroll through a lot of youtube-dl's output to find the "Couldn't handle Belarus' link: not available in your country".

Looking at the code you would think that would happen last because it's the last thing in the code, but threading can make things happen out of order. So I've been meaning to redo that bit for about a year, but I haven't been getting to it because it does work.

Actually, after typing all this out I think if I add a --quiet flag to youtube-dl and turn the logging down (or off) then it'll quiet youtube-dl down enough to make it a non-issue. I've edited the gist.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:57 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Actually, I'm probably not gonna enter anything this contest. Something's come up and I might not be able to vote.

Edit: That thing's resolved for now, entry's coming in.
Last edited by Scigatt on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:53 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Entries are due at midnight Pacific Time tonight!
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:20 am

Post by Scigatt »

labbre
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:31 am

Post by Song Contest »

Entries posted!
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:53 am

Post by Nahdia »

Made a Spotify playlist. Couldn't find Antarctica and Loompaland is the studio version instead of the live version.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:38 pm

Post by PJ. »

The Seignory of Vi's Kitchen has been cut from the competition, unfortunate.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

Missed the entry deadline. Welp.

I'll try to listen and vote if I have time.

Also Panzer, check your PMs please.
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Yes. Making too many hoods is moderator suicide. -Enter
I want to shoot this post in the face with a flamethrower. - zakk
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:07 am

Post by Tammy »

Had my song all ready. Forgot to submit it before vacation. Oops.
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:09 am

Post by Vi »

I've finished my first pass. I'm looking forward to organizing a top ten from this set.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:37 am

Post by Vi »

All right, there's my second pass. This was a very good contest IMO.

Spoiler: not feeling the spoons to do a SFH writeup though
|
|
===TIER: POINTS!

(12) ARGENTINA -- Vishal Dadlani & Sonu Kakkar {Madari}
-- Now this is what I want to eat biryani to. I'm kind of into the sounds-like-a-jam-session-but-is-actually-tightly-choreographed nature of the song. I really appreciate the fusion of styles here; I didn't fully believe in Western-style backing on Indian vocals until I heard this.

(10) SPAIN -- Jessie Ware {Spotlight}
-- Sweet funky mood music; apparently this is the best of what I missed out on by not being alive in the disco years. Would listen to in the background again (and probably again). Please send me tickets the next time the dance train rolls into town. The comment saying it's a shame George Michael isn't around to do this as a duet rings extremely true.

(8) EGYPT -- Yumi Zouma {Lie Like You Want Me Back}
-- You have found the chords that I give points to! And the groove is very good. Both times I listened to this, I wanted to put it on loop halfway through. I really wish the third line didn't take me back to the Numa Numa.

===TIER: POINTS

(7) JAPAN -- fox capture plan {やけにSUNSHINE (feat. おかもとえみ)}
-- There's something a little different about this vocalist and I like it - in particular I appreciate that her voice isn't "produced". Other than that, this isn't all that different from the other J-easy-listening entries, but it's a genre I will give points to regardless.

(6) NORTH KOREA -- Eye Alaska {Roll Right Over}
-- This is the kind of pop music you'll get my attention with. It's not outstanding but it's very solid; easy points-bait.

(5) CANADA -- Orchards {Peggy}
-- It's kind of understated but I kind of like it. Some parts of this flow better than others, but I appreciate the artistic vision. glitter mustache

(4) GERMANY -- Vieon {Fly By Light}
-- It feels like something you'd hear in an area you pass through in a video game for maybe 45 seconds; five minutes may be a bit much. This feels like something that's really close to grabbing me, but etc. I wonder how this would sound with a vocal style that doesn't blend as much into the background?

(3) SOUTH KOREA -- AB6IX {SURREAL}
-- ...no, this still isn't the contest where I stop giving points to K-pop. I kind of feel like the placement of the obligatory K-pop song is an indicator of the health of the contest (the lower the better). This one isn't anything special but the bar is pretty high. The hook gets old by the time it's over.

===TIER: POINTS?

(2) USA -- Eskimo Callboy {Hypa Hypa}
-- Djibouti's meme entry. I feel like if I had ever been to the right kind of club this would be like 14 points. As it is I don't actually want to give this points but it's so hilariously trashy that I feel like I have to purely to acknowledge the effort. This probably
should
be Germany's Eurovision entry.

(1) NICARAGUA -- Dorian Electra {Flamboyant}
-- This is a heck of a schtick. I'm not sure if I like this, but I don't hate it and I'm glad I was introduced to it. This video is great! TURN DOWN FOR WHAT

eSWATINI -- Daft Punk {Beyond}
-- Daft Punk: strange vocals, sweet accompaniment. Honestly this would be way better with, like, not robot voices, but that's not what we're going to get from this band. I must apologize for not giving this points but when it comes to entries on the bubble I break in favor of memes.

FRANCE -- Mike Posner {I Took A Pill In Ibiza (Seeb Remix) (Explicit)}
-- Always kind of awk to hear a reference to Avicii. The comments are all about "this song hits harder when you have clinical depression" and, honestly, mood. The song isn't very me though.

INDONESIA -- Men at Work {Overkill}
-- Classic '80s rock. I mildly like MaW's sound but it's too cool and understated for me.

===TIER: NO POINTS

BURKINA FASO -- The Murder Capital {More Is Less}
-- I'm not sure if I hate someone enough to get into this. Given the style, it's okay - it's probably this high because it doesn't try to be anything other than what it is. It probably didn't have to last as long as it did.

MONGOLIA -- Emperor X {Allahu Akbar}
-- Not sure if sacreligious because I can barely make the lyrics out. What is this production quality. Otherwise the song's okay.

HUNGARY -- Indigo Girls {Come on Home}
-- I don't really get these lyrics as a coherent whole, and that's a problem because I feel like I should. At least it sounds decent.

POLAND -- Marianas Trench {Truth or Dare}
-- It feels like the vocalist is trying to emulate MJ's sound and it's not really working. It's okay.

CHINA -- Vinnie & The Hooligans {Great Expectations}
-- A little better than your average indie guitar band but this doesn't do anything for me.

===TIER: NO POINTS.

CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC -- Slade {Coz I Luv You}
-- This is not the first line of a song I would give points to. I appreciate the direction it tries to take with the style, but music has progressed 50 years and I'm inclined to leave this behind. Would have rated Run Runaway higher.

LOOMPALAND -- DI-RECT {Soldier On (Live)}
-- Bad country name. I suppose the veterans here are old enough that they were conscripts. This is in that genre I critique every Contest, and I really wish this message was delivered some other way.

HINAMIZAWA -- Vince Staples {Crabs in a Bucket}
-- This is a genre that exists. It got better as it went on, but never reached something I'd want to listen to.

BELARUS -- Amigo The Devil {Dahmer Does Hollywood}
-- slow song is very slow and I want to start to like it but I want to sleep instead

MACAU -- FKA Twigs {Cellophane}
-- The video is way better than the song. Like this woman could snap me like a FKN twig with any muscle in her body.

===TIER: NO

FLAVORTOWN -- Hinds {Just Like Kids (Miau)}
-- This has strong daykill energy. I appreciate that this is a diss track, but I also don't like how this sounds. I respect it more than I like it.

SWEDEN -- Dark Tranquillity {Insanity's Crescendo}
-- This took two minutes to get going. Honestly from the band name to the song name to the lyrics this whole thing is "stuff that sounded good in middle school". There are many things sharper than this edge. I have still not listened to this entry from start to finish because it's very samey.

ANTARCTICA -- あさき {天庭 (Album Version)}
-- I was taking aim at the people who submit these kinds of 10-minute entries, but one of them isn't in this contest :( I submitted this one because it's ~different~ and also doesn't feel like 10 minutes because it cycles through a bunch of ideas. Sadly I don't think I will go 2/2 for putting Asaki into BoB eligibility; this contest is too good.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:18 pm

Post by schadd_ »

nicaragua d elecrra flamboyant: big fun. like the big instrumental code switching thing. 4.0

argentina dadlani & kakkar madari: like the second singer & the drums. the rest has too much going on to habe a strong character but still good. 3.9

egypt yumi zouma lie want bqck: this is bad 3.9

mongolia emperor x allahu akbar: idg whats going on in the lyrics. in any case i simply do not like the vocalist. 2.7

flavortown hinds just like kids: a lot a lot of fun and interesting stuff. one of the vocalists really likes the s sound & i like it from them. i think this also works rly well as a short and dense song. 4.4
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:59 pm

Post by Natirasha »

Spoiler:
Nicaragua(Dorian Electra)--The whip cracks truly tie it all together.
Argentina(Vishal Dadlani & Sonu Kakkar)--Fucking love this folky funky shit, fantastic song!!! That uh not sure what string instrument near the end solo was what put this into transcendent quality tbh.
Egypt(Yumi Zouma)--pretty typical indie rock stuff
Mongolia(Emperor X)--I really liked this too, very unrefined college-rock feel but it has a lot of strong feeling to it.
Flavortown(Hinds)--fuck yeah is it a little dumb? But I very much love this style of silly gal-rock.
Japan(fox capture plan)--Did all of you just decide "Hey I'm gonna submit fucking fire music!" this contest??
USA(Eskimo Callboy)--This fell far too into the chintzy side of the hardcore scene for me to really appreciate, although it wasn't bad. Second half is better than the first.
Loompaland(DI-RECT)--boring white guy ballads are dumb
Sweden(Dark Tranquility)--So I never got into the melodeath scene as much, I preferred the symphonic side a bit more as most of you know, but I always did like it too and Dark Tranquility is a classic in the genre.
Hungary(Indigo Girls)--This sort of stuff is so boring
Germany(Vieon)--I tend to like the synthy stuff but this didn't really stand out.
Hinamizawa(Vince Staples)--Anyone who read the other thread knows my thoughts on Vince and this album already, so I'm not going to rehash it. tldr: Shit's fire, easily one of the premier rappers of our era.
China(Vinnie & the Hooligans)--This was, um, okay. Decent cover.
Burkina Faso(The Murder Capital)--meh
Canada(Orchards)--The fucking drummer looks exactly like one of my best friends lol. The music is okay too.
Spain(Jessie Ware)--Nice little dancey number but it was missing the punch I love.
France(Mike Posner)--Nice little dance number and it sort of had the punch I love.
Central African Republic(Slade)--The violins saved this song.
eSwanti(Daft Punk)--Song of the summer right here
Macau(FKA Twigs)--No.
Antarctica(あさき)--Good song!!!!
Poland(Marianas Trench)--Kinda generic pop-rock stuff
North Korea(Eye Alaska)--I found myself nodding along.
Indonesia(Men at Work)--I mean this song is a classic for a reason.
South Korea(AB6IX)--Where would we be without the token kpop entry?
Belarus(Amigo the Devil)--You can just feel the animosity in this song, its good.

Contest started out really strong but kind of dipped as it went on.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Post by Vi »

Bumping this thread to insist that this contest has some really good content and that you should vote.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:27 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Spoiler: The Cryptic Rating System 3.0 says
Belarus - A/S
South Korea - C/B
Indonesia - C/B
North Korea - C/B+
Poland - C/B-

Antarctica - B?
Macau - B/C-
eSwatini - C/B-
Central African Republic - C/B
France - C

Spain - C
Canada - C/B+
Burkina Faso - B/C-
China - B/C
Hinamizawa - C/B
Germany - C/B+

Hungary - B/C-
Sweden - B/C-
Loompaland - C/B
USA - C/B?
Japan - B/C

Flavortown - C/D
Mongolia - B/C+
Egypt - C/B
Argentina - C/B
Nicaragua - C/D
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:27 pm

Post by schadd_ »

japan fox capture plan sunshine. like everything is good in this but nothing has airtime so i'm really only noticing key aspects e.g. this epic bass swell around 3:00. drums are super flavorful. the ending is great because you get a couple precious seconds alone w the bass/piano. 4.0 wd

usa eskimo cowboy hypa hypa. open letter to all the musicians of the epic song contest genre of gnasty metal that code switches into something else: i would love to study you 3.3

loompaland di rect soldier on. bjork - adele as a boy 3.2

sweden dark tranquility insanity crecendo. whatever this vocal style is, the throaty gurgley one. i dont like it. i like the screechy kind. the first few minutes were fine but i knew that the thing i don't like was gonna happen. 2.9

hungary indigo girls come on home. they literally look like if those epic Science Rock men that i hate so much, were women. crucially i do not hate so much these women. i appreciate the scope of this song. pretty much everything in it is nice. 3.8 wd
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:50 am

Post by Scigatt »

Vote in as of a few hours ago.
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Post by SnowStorm »

Nicaragua (Dorian Electra - Flamboyant) - Kind of a mess. But it caught my interest. After googling the artist the most surprising fact is that Dorian Electra is their actual name.
Argentina (Vishal Dadlani & Sonu Kakkar - Madari) - I wasn't ready for 8 minutes of this. It's banal.
Egypt (Yumi Zouma - Lie Like You Want Me Back)- It's ok.
Mongolia (Emperor X - Allahu Akbar) - I feel like I'm missing something with this song. Is it supposed to be satirical or... ? Anyway, I don't like it.
Flavortown (Hinds - Just Like Kids (Miau)) - Ehh... No.
Japan (fox capture plan - Yakeni SUNSHINE (feat. Emi Okamoto)) - Meh.
USA (Eskimo Callboy - Hypa Hypa) - Terrible in all the right ways.
Loompaland (DI-RECT - Soldier On (Live)) - No.
Sweden (Dark Tranquillity - Insanity's Crescendo) - Nope.
Hungary (Indigo Girls - Come on Home) - No.
Germany (Vieon - Fly By Light) - Sounds like something that will rank high. Not a fan though.
Hinamizawa (Vince Staples - Crabs in a Bucket) - I predict top 10 for this one too. And this one I can get behind.
China (Vinnie & The Hooligans - Great Expectations) - I don't mind this as much as I thought I would.
Canada (Orchards - Peggy) - It's Japan, in English.
Spain (Jessie Ware - Spotlight) - Okay, this is nice.
France (Mike Posner - I Took A Pill In Ibiza (Seeb Remix) (Explicit)) - No.
Central African Republic (Slade - Coz I Luv You) - Sure.
eSwatini (Daft Punk - Beyond) - The instrumental is fine, but ugh, those robotic vocals..
Macau (FKA Twigs - Cellophane) - I can apreciate it, but I just can't get into FKA Twigs. (Fun fact: my entry band covered this song)
Antarctica (あさき (Asaki) - 天庭 (Tentei) (Album Version)) - Where I come from, "Tentei" means "(I) tried". I tried... but this is too much for me. Those last 2 minutes were the more interesting part.
Poland (Marianas Trench - Truth or Dare) - Nnnnno.
North Korea (Eye Alaska - Roll Right Over) - I like his voice, but everything else is just so uninteresting. That ending got me though.
Indonesia (Men at Work - Overkill) - it's ok.
South Korea (AB6IX - Surreal) - What? There's no video to go along with this?? I'm so disappointed. I liked this much more than I imagined I would.
Belarus (Amigo The Devil - Dahmer Does Hollywood) - Ehhhhhhhhhhhh.

It was ok overall.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

*Insert Clever Title Here*Nicaragua: Dorian Electra - Flamboyant

I love the video! The costume at the piano is fantastic! Such a great theme and delivery in the video!

I hate the singing.
Also, the weird sudden intense electric guitar that pops in every once in a while really clashes with the rest of it.

I really like the breakdown at ~2:20 though. I think that speaks to personal preference in many ways which I do not feel like listing, however.

Argentina: Vishal Dadlani & Sonu Kakkar - Madari

Okay I LOVE that this started out polyrhythmically! I adore the way it worked here to increase tensions leading into the song! And the instrumentation is awesome!
This song was good, going to score well as it was, but when that lady (Sonu it appears) starts singing at ~3:05 this became next level! Holy shit! The sustained notes, the clarity in her runs, the timbre of her voice! It's all perfect! Goddamn!

Egypt: Yumi Zouma - Lie Like You Want Me Back

This is 100% something I would buy and dance around in my room to while cleaning.
Not that I ever do that :shifty:

Very good! I like love the sound the airy high-register vocals floating over the lower main vocals makes, it[s almost dreamy. And the movement of the song without being aggressive in it is just perfect!

Mongolia: Emperor X - Allahu Akbar

This has a very "early thousands wants to sound like the 70s" vibe to it. Like a modern song written during the Vietnam war.
I like the politicized lyrics, but the song is by no means my cup of tea.

Flavortown: Hinds - Just Like Kids (Miau)

Oh lol they used the 'I can't actually sing but let's look past that" filter on their voices that makes sing-talking work but with the side-effect of becoming unintelligible.

Fun video, but I wish I could hear them sing.

Japan: fox capture plan - Yakeni SUNSHINE (feat. Emi Okamoto)

I'd put money on this being an intro to a bad sitcom/drama!
That's not a dis on the song though! It just follows a very obvious trajectory both musically and visually.
I like her vocals and the sunshine of the song is transmitted very well!

USA: Eskimo Callboy - Hypa Hypa

Ooo! This has some 3OH!3 vibes to it!
NEVERMIND!
I like the instrumentals and the "Hypa Hypa" chorus! Around 1:40 is decent too!
It just clashes with itself too much and I can't. Not bad at all, just too intense for my liking.
Also I feel like this was a joke entry so I don't feel bad for having this take. If it was serious, well, sorry.

Loompaland: DI-RECT - Soldier On (Live)

I love absolutely everything about this! The style, the vocals, the emotion, the fucking content being sung to veterans!!! Holy shit!
He has such a good warm, emotional tone to his voice and just a like, refined and controlled rawness if you will in his delivery.
Absolutely beautiful!

Sweden: Dark Tranquillity - Insanity's Crescendo

Okay so from this intro I can tell you I will either love or hate this song and I never know which it is going to be until we get into its chosen direction. I'm bracing for it though.

Okay I did not expect this.

Uhh, I don't hate it, but I don't like it. The vocals miss the beats and are dissonant and scratchy. It's obviously intentional, but I don't like it.
THERE IT IS! The single note on the guitar at ~1:50 tells me it is exactly what I expected. And sadly, it went the "I hate it" route.
Nothing against it, but this is nothing I would ever listen to on my own accord. It it well done, and I know it is going for an inferno vibe, which is done well. I just, no.

Hungary: Indigo Girls - Come on Home

I adore the "back home" country vibes in this song! Perfectly fits its theme and has such a good "helping hands" commentary to it.
I just really like the honest purity of it.

Germany: Vieon - Fly By Light

I mean, considering my own submission, I feel obliged to like this one! Hahaha
But really, I very much enjoy the electronic sound and the vocals work really well! Such a divergence from (most of) the rest of the contest and I feel like that is going to hurt its rankings.
That shot in the video where they have the sun riding behind the Easter Island heads casting them into silhouettes is going to stick with me. That was beautiful!
I will say that this got a bit shrill by the end and that does detract some points from it.

Hinamizawa: Vince Staples - Crabs in a Bucket

Weird song. I feel like I'd like it after the 5th listen but I don't do that for the contests.
It's just, almost trying too hard to get that edge? Iunno.
I don't dislike it in any way, but I don't actively like it either.

China: Vinnie & The Hooligans - Great Expectations

Oh! Oh yes! This is good!
The intro is great, the vocals mesh perfectly, and I love this accordion!
Such sad lyrics. So much emotion.

Burkina Faso: The Murder Capital - More Is Less

I don't get this type of punk-rock, but so be it.
I watched a video recently about the usage of monotone verses in music and it had some interesting points about their usage.
I still didn't get this.

Oh, it went on to the next song and I didn't notice. Whoops! lmao

Canada: Orchards - Peggy

This has some nice funky vibes to it! I like the vocals and the whole thing fits well together.
Should probably be featured mid-movie somewhere in a city montage where it displays the great city lights of [probably New York but I feel Chicago] and flashes to the protagonist missing out on it, sad, in their apartment at the end.

Spain: Jessie Ware - Spotlight

I liked the intro, but OMG the light disco dance vibes are PERFECT!
Her voice is ideal for this and it all comes together so nicely!

France: Mike Posner - I Took A Pill In Ibiza (Seeb Remix) (Explicit)

This is good and I like it. Hard to go wrong.
I feel like it's going to miss out on points because it's a bit basic.
And that's by no means a criticism, I really do like it! I just don't think it's what scores well here.

Central African Republic: Slade - Coz I Luv You

This is good but the violin is too shrill for me to love it.

eSwatini: Daft Punk - Beyond

Oh it's mine! I really like this. I was actually going to submit "Within" but I knew their robotic vocals would be too much for you guys in that one.
It looks like this one was still a step too far for some. I really like their robotic choice though.
The song is so chill and has such a cool vibe to it, plus what I think are great lyrics. It's like robot poetry!
And I'm sure someone has/will say it gets boring by the end, but I love the repetitive easing out of the song. Like they've said their piece and are leaving you to think about it. To consider it. To dwell on it.

Macau: FKA Twigs - Cellophane

This was an amazing journey!
From the beginning where the disconnect between the dance and the singing is highlighted and the autumn colours show us the depressed tone of things to the usage of the video's effects like the shoes on the stage, the wings flapping, and her gasps for air when she hits the ground, it is a perfect combination of the video and the song.
And the commentary it makes on our perceptions of women is so well done! Absolute artwork!
Oh, and I really love her voice! That completes everything with her tone and her emotion!

Antarctica: あさき (Asaki) - 天庭 (Tentei) (Album Version)

This starts with so much building tension!
I'm not a big fan of the action part of it though.
Well done, I get the creation of tensions and actions with the shredding of the electric instruments. Uh, not shredding. The, whatever it is when you make that scraping noise.
And I like the idea of the electric violin here. But I don't like the sound. That's definitely my ears though. Electric string instruments tend to hurt me.

Okay, this is too long. I'm sorry, but I got to 6 minutes and don't see the point in continuing to listen to it.

Poland: Marianas Trench - Truth or Dare

Ah, Marianas Trench! Love them so much! I've even seen them live a couple times circa their Masterpiece Theatre days! (Which is absolutely a shining example of a great album!)
Live this. It gives me Celebrity Status vibes. And I have a weak spot for their harmonies.

North Korea: Eye Alaska - Roll Right Over

This is really nice, very chill.
I'm getting tired so my commentary is lazy on this one. But it has good vibes and I like the use of brass in the background.

Indonesia: Men at Work - Overkill

I do like me some Men at Work!
It's a lot more simple than a lot of what I know from them, which is kind of ironic for a song called "Overkill". It highlights some great vocals though because of this!

South Korea: AB6IX - Surreal

I love rap breaks in -I want to say KPop but I don't want to seem like I'm generalizing Asian countries together but it sounds like it to me and it is what I am familiar with-.

The rest of the song is pretty great too actually!

Belarus: Amigo The Devil - Dahmer Does Hollywood

What a simple, deconstructed, and somewhat terrifying beginning to this song!
It achieves its thematic goals perfectly. You can almost feel him staggering around in the vocals and the simplified accompaniment lets you feel the night seeping through it!
Oh, and then it just ends on that cliffhanger! Wow!

I had to make some very unfortunate cuts this time around but I really enjoyed the contest overall!
Some really fantastic entries made it in, and the top 6 were all really close, with an easy top 12.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare

Return to “General Discussion”