Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (SPOILERS POSSIBLE)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:06 am

Post by Macros »

Gnome it all, you mentioned how SPOILER ALERT::

harry only sees the thestral in book 5, because he saw cedric die.
i think this highlights how poor book five was, this has to be the ultimate plot hole.
Harry hasnt witnessed death before? oh please, what about his friggin rents? voldemorts image in book two could technically be death.
that always bothered me

UNSPOILER ALERT:
the floating dementors (i havent seent he flm yet, i am going to see it in an hour) annoyed me fromt he super long preveiw i saw, that and harrys yelling of expeto patronum, which i assume is the final one, looks so stupid, pointing at th eair.
why couldnt they hve made them walk? flying DETRACTS from the spookyness of having this rattling breathing figure lurching towards you. bah, otherwise, it LOOKS good, i only hope it will be.
(i am a big book fan, i feel the lotr movies ESPEC~IALLY rotr were super over rater, i would nearly go as far as say rote was a patchy terrible movie, what dethenor can run 1/2 a mile whilst still burning? why not give him wings and left him fly to mordor and set an orc on fire as well. and minas tirth is more than a mile from osgiliath FOOLS, but apart from that, i tied to watch from the perspective of not reading the book, it made no sense, "oh look! a big green city! AHH! orcs! AH!! big green light! AHH! ships! where the hell did they come from???!"
i digress.:))
Oh the huge manatee!!
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:15 am

Post by Macros »

saw it, made a lengthy post on the gl about it, to tired to repeat it here, may copy and paste later.
Oh the huge manatee!!
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:15 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

Not so really, little spoiler (just in case someone would find it spoiling):

I thought they should have the ability to fly- but he made it so that it was their basic way of "hangingout" or guarding. Floating in the sky around the school. I mean- I always thought of guarding the school entrances as being on the ground near the acutal door- not hovering above them some hundred feet. However, I still don't think making them be able to fly was a bad idea- otherwise it would take a long time to get around- but it shouldn't have been used as a normal way for a dementor to stand there- it should be somethign they use to get somewhere fast.
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:59 am

Post by mathcam »

Aah! An unspoiler alert!

In any case, I think I agree with what seems to be the majority: They did very well for the relatively little time they had. But yeah, I can't believe they didn't take the 10 seconds to explain Moonie et al.

Cam
lulu muumuu
lulu muumuu
Goon
lulu muumuu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:31 am

Post by lulu muumuu »

SPOILER ALERT (maybe?)

i've read that they've (the directors and producers, i would imagine) have decided to make it all one movie.
considering how trimmed down, PoA was, i'm interested, and frankly a little frightened to see what happens with GoF.

OH, and
Meme wrote: I do, however, agree that some of the stuff left out was integral to understanding basic plot points. I was yearning (I mean it -- leaning forward in my seat hoping) that we'd get the explanation from Lupin to Harry about the genesis of the names "Mooney, Padfoot, Wormtail, and Prongs." Why leave that out? No one explained about the map or the Shrieking Shack or the real depth of friendship that Pettigrew betrayed. This group of three rallied around Lupin in the school years to help him through full moons -- a true support group of caring friends -- and this goes completely unnoted on film. Tragic.
i read that this point will proably be explained with more depth in the fourth movie where they can spend more time on relationships and where Pettigrew will get more screen time (if memory serves correctly).

but again, with the games, the budding romances, the ball, and quidditch-- how are they going to fit it all in, when PoA seemed so pared down?
Show
[size=75]:shock:[i]scared poopless

in Kidvitational 1 signups:[/i]
meaning of life 42:[color=darkblue] ok. I'm sorry MeMe if your sry. Can we be friends again?[/color]
MeMe:[color=darkred] I'm [i]totally [/i]sry. Friends 4ever![/color]
[/size]
indentureddjinn
indentureddjinn
Goon
indentureddjinn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:54 am

Post by indentureddjinn »

The movie was pretty good this time, expcept for some holes in the storyline, and a lot of parts missing

What's with them wearing muggle clothes at a wizarding school?

The acting was well done, and the characters looked well placed (except they made Sirius look like a homeless person, which I think doesn't fit his bidding)

They never explained about Padfoot, Prongs, Mooney, and Wormtail, which is an important part in the story
"na hanyate hanyamane sarire"
-Chapter 2, verse 20 Bhagavada Gita
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2469/irvington9zs.jpg
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:03 am

Post by MeMe »

Why didn't you just type "ditto," ID? It would've saved time... :wink:
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Quailman
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:15 am

Post by Quailman »

I saw the movie Sunday. The night before, SNL reran the show in which Lindsay Lohan plays Hermione, returning to Hogwarts after the summer with a brand new pair of tatas. She greets Harry and Ron, who can't take their eyes off them, followed by Fred and George who start drooling. It's hilarious. It was quite a letdown to see the real Hermione.

Not much to add to what's been said - the omission of the Mooney-Padfoot-Wormtail thing bothered me the most. I thought the Hippogriff was pretty impressive. It looked like a real creature in all the shots, grabbing the dead ferrets and all. But the Werewolf was IMO pretty weak. I know they had to clearly differentiate it from Sirius' dog, but it just didn't seem to have the same je-ne-sais-quoi that the hippogriff had.

Return to “General Discussion”