[CASUAL] January Movie Challenge

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:55 am

Post by GeorgeBailey »

Are we allowed to do like, little mini reviews or do you want just a simple "i watched X"
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #14 (isolation #1) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:23 am

Post by GeorgeBailey »

Bee movie on repeat
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:37 pm

Post by GeorgeBailey »

1. Brazil (1985)

Spoiler:
So, I have a huge list of movies I've always wanted to watch, and this contest is perfect to strike some of those off! First up was Brazil.

This is probably the most bizarre movie I've ever seen. There's Icarus fighting a samurai, face-stretching cosmetics, SHOE HATS, magnifying glasses in front of EVERYTHING, Stone Golems(?) and overly complicated phones. I honestly love seeing these old sci-fi movies try and predict what the future is like. There's these phone with 15-input jacks that just looks hilarious, gives a real star-trek feel. Very Cassete-futurism.

It's pretty much if 1984 was a dark comedy. There's a lot of hilarious scenes with very dark undertones. There's one where they're having a terrorist attack in a restaurant, but the citizens are so used to them that they just sort of carry on their meal. The constant focus on a inefficient and overly complicated bureaucracy reminded a lot of the book The trial in a way. It was really funny but a lot of it you felt bad for laughing.

The set design is awesome, there's a lot of colorful and interesting scenes. My favorite scenes were probably the dream sequences, and the one scene where someone was holding a flag that says "CONSUMERS FOR CHRIST", which probably made me laugh the hardest out of everything.

My only gripe is the romance and some of the story. The romance was super forced and telling someone "I love you because I saw you in my dream" is one of the creepiest things to ever hear. It also felt like it threw a lot of ideas around that never really turned into anything substantial. Robert De Niro was great in this though <3.

I think I'd recommend this film to pretty much anyone. 4/5.

GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #92 (isolation #3) » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:10 pm

Post by GeorgeBailey »

2. The King of Comedy (1982)

Spoiler:
So, I came into this movie being told that Joker ripped it off and it's pretty much the same thing. The truth is... sort of? Joker is very much the same in multiple ways. But Joker focuses more on Mental health issues, while King of Comedy focuses more on the obsession the main character has with getting on the Talk show. I will admit that this was a lot better than Joker.

This movie is hilarious. The opening scene is incredible and the fact that they even look alike makes it so much better. The main character's acting as this obsessives and persistent comedian is so good. Some of the scenes where he's talking to the receptionist is so hard to watch yet so entertaining, kind of like an episode of the Office. He's so persistent that I respect the hustle, I don't think I could ever put myself out there like that.

This movie is also SO well shot. I feel like that's going to be a running theme in the movies I watch (Chungking Express possibly next???) but some of the scenes here are so gorgeous. This was an incredibly enjoyable movie and it's probably one of my favorites. Unfortunately I don't have much to say because I saw it last night and forgot a bunch of it.

Overall: it was fantastic and I'd recommend it to anyone.

GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #93 (isolation #4) » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 pm

Post by GeorgeBailey »

3. Taxi Driver (1976)

Spoiler:
I've been told this is supposed to be one of the best movies ever made.

i'll be honest I did not really understand what happened in this film. Taxi driver is lonely, hits on girl, gets rejected, doesn't stop crimes happen, tries to fix one of the crime, then tries to kill a senator? Why the fuck did he try to kill the senator? I don't understand this movie but I loved some of the visuals. I'm just gonna post a bunch of the frames cause idk what else to talk about. Idk if it was a satire on noir? A lot of the monologues seem so over the top that it seems like satire, but that's also probably due in part that I don't understand what the film is trying to convey.

Again again though, very nice scenes. Reminds of "Drive" By Ryan Gosling, in the fact that he drives. Unfortunately there's no Ryan Gosling.

Overall: it was good, but there's a lot of dated racist stuff

GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #94 (isolation #5) » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:33 pm

Post by GeorgeBailey »

4. Sopranos Season 1: Ep 1 & 2 (1999)

Spoiler:
I've been sleeping on this show for too long. These episodes were really good and it's one of the better mafia stuff i've watched. The only thing I knew about this show coming in.... is well.... the ending of the series.

I don't that's too bad(?) since it's a 5 seasons show. I just know the ending because it's SOOO controversial and apparently it's secretly a masterpiece because it references almost every season from the show. It's really cool to see "old" technology. Tony struggling with the phone stuff reminds me how awful phones were when I was young lol.

So far I'd recommend it to most. There's some dated "Hahaha look how racist these boomers are" which can be hard to watch. But it's got me hooked so far.

GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #115 (isolation #6) » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:28 pm

Post by GeorgeBailey »

the 2002 resident evil was awesome from what I remember.

Probably one of the best video game adaptation movies.
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #121 (isolation #7) » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:00 pm

Post by GeorgeBailey »

5. The Seventh Seal (1957)

Spoiler:

This movie was so interesting. It focuses on a chess battle between the MC and Death, while showing us the lives of a nihilist priest and a couple of entertainers.

I didn't look into what the movie meant cause i'm lazy and wanna watch Solaris next, but I
think
Death is supposed to represent the black plague, and Chess is symbolism for him fighting it? Death looks kinda funny though so sometimes it was hard to take it seriously.

It's a pretty... er, atheist film? The crusader came back from a shitty failed crusade and is questioning why any of this is happening. On top of a black death that is killing literally everyone. A lot of the dialogue surrounding death and faith is fantastic.

I went overboard getting frames for this one, but there's so many gorgeous scenes. I like the choice of filming in 1957, the black and white works very nice.

My favourite part was when the guy danced like a bear, it was a very nice bear and he looked scary.

The worst part of this film is the sound mixing ( I have no idea what the standards were for 57' so this might be a shit take), and the incel shit the priest pulled on the girl he saved.

There was a scene of like, marching flagellating people with the plague? It felt so over the top that I had to laugh, it got cheesy at times. Very solid movie.

GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #125 (isolation #8) » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:57 pm

Post by GeorgeBailey »

In post 122, Ythan wrote:Completely real. Catholics are super metal.
It wasn't that it I thought it was fake, more of how over the top it was.

Like, these mfs:

Spoiler:

Show up and are like: "You're all going to die from the plague. You, you, and you. You're all fucked"

and then leaves.
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #214 (isolation #9) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:24 pm