[GSM] Countdown! Game Over

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

[GSM] Countdown! Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Post by ForWhomTheJellyRolls »

Countdown!

Part of the Game Show Marathon 2015

Welcome to Countdown! The exciting puzzle solving game! This game features three types of puzzles, a Letters Game, a Numbers Game, and the Conundrum! The Format of this game will consist of 3 Matches. The first section will have 2 Letters Games, followed by 2 Numbers Games. The 2nd Match will consist of 3 Letters Games followed by 1 Numbers Game. The 3rd Match will have an alternation of 2 Letters Games with 2 Numbers Games and finally the conundrum. The player who selects from the decks for the first match will be decided by a coin toss, and then will alternate between players each Game. The player who has the most points leading in to Matches 2 and 3 will select from decks. They may elect the other player to select first if they so desire. The player with the most points at the end of the Conundrum wins the game, and moves on to the semi-final round of the Game Show Marathon! If both players are tied at the end of the Conundrum, I will give further Conundrums until the tie is broken and a winner can be declared.

LETTERS GAME:

The Letters Game will consist of one player drawing letters randomly from a two decks which are based off of the frequency of the letters used in the English Language. One deck consists of consonants, and the other consists of vowels. The decks will be produced randomly prior to the game’s start. The player selecting letters must select 9 letters from the deck with at least 3 vowels and 4 consonants. Players may select one letter at a time or elect to select multiple letters at once. (Example: I want V, C, V, C, C, C, etc.) Once the 9 letters are selected, players will have 24 hours from my say so to come up with the longest word they can come up with from that string of letters and PM me their word. The player with the longest valid word will win points equal to the number of letters in their word. In the case of a tie, both players get points equal to the number of letters. If a player manages to use all 9 letters they get 18 points instead of 9.

For this game, Y is considered a consonant in terms of which deck it is in. Valid words consist of words using my own dictionary source. If they are not in my dictionary, they will not be counted as valid. Players may NOT use any dictionary or similar resource to look for words or check for the validity of their words. Words also may not repeat a letter that has already been used unless more than one of that letter has been selected.

NUMBERS GAME:

The Numbers Game has two decks like the Letters Game. The two decks are Large Numbers which consist of (25, 50, 75, and 100) and Small Numbers which consist of 2 sequences of the numbers 1-10. The player whose turn it is will select from 0-4 large numbers and will be given a random assortment from the large deck and a random assortment from the small deck to give 6 numbers. A 3 digit number from 101-999 will be randomly generated. Players will then have 24 hours from my say so to PM me an expression using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and/or division with any amount of the 6 numbers to reach the target number. A player need not use all numbers, but a player cannot use a number more than once unless more than one of a number is drawn. All numbers must be whole numbers.

The player who gets closest to the target will win the round. They score 10 points if they hit the target exactly, 7 points if they don’t reach the target but are within 5 + or -, and 5 points if they are within 10 + or -. If neither player uses a valid method or does not get within 10 of the target (i.e. 11 away or greater) no points will be awarded. In the event that both players are equidistant from the target, they both score points.

CONUNDRUM:

I will scramble a 9 letter word and players will have 24 hours to PM me their guess as to what the word. If a player successfully gives me the unscrambled word, they receive 10 points. Again if both players get it correct, they both receive 10 points. Players may NOT use any sort of outside source including but not limited to an anagram unscrambler for this round.

Our players are:

Blackberry!

and…

doctorwho!

NameScore
Blackberry68
doctorwho82

General rules:

1) Have Fun! It’s a game, enjoy yourself!
2) In this game I am the law. What I say goes. I will do my best to be fair and impartial. I also am not perfect and I may be prone to mistakes from time to time. Feel free to PM me with any questions, concerns, clarifications, etc.
3) No outside sources. The nature of this game does make it somewhat easy to cheat. Test yourself. See what you can do on your own merits! I trust you to be honorable and play fairly.
4) Deadlines for this game will be strict. They will always be 24 hours. Even if I do not update in that time, once 24 hours have been reached, PMs by players will not be accepted for that particular game.
5) If I have made a typo or an unclear rule, please let me know (preferably via PM) and I will correct it. If a rule needs to be altered in this way I will announce that publicly.
6) Because of the strict nature of the deadline, you may want to let me know if you will be on V/LA for more than 24 hours. Try to let me know in advance if possible. I will likely not stop a game in progress but I will be lenient and will likely wait for you to be return before starting the next one.
Last edited by ForWhomTheJellyRolls on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:12 am, edited 25 times in total.
"A hidden truth supports everything. Find it, and win." - Ramayana
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Do you have the need for Mafia de Cuba?
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:06 pm

Post by Blackberry »

/confirm

Super excited, I love puzzles XD.

Good luck doc!
doctorwho
doctorwho
Watcher
doctorwho
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Post by doctorwho »

/confirm

Same to you Blackberry, may the best player win!
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Cool, well then, without further ado, let's kick off Game Show Marathon 2015! I will do a die roll right now. Blackberry you're 1, doctorwho you are 2. Whichever player's number comes up may start our first Letters game.

Original Roll String: 1d2
1 2-Sided Dice: (2) = 2

ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:23 pm

doctorwho you get to start! Give me your choices from the two letter decks! Or you may elect Blackberry to pick first.

NOTE: I have added a rule about V/LA status during this game under the General Rules section that I had forgotten to put in earlier.

doctorwho
doctorwho
Watcher
doctorwho
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:39 pm

Post by doctorwho »

I'll take CCVVCCVVC, please.
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Wow, you are ready to go with all 9 letters! Sounds good to me, let's get this party started!

LETTERS GAME 1 Begins!
The letters are:
G R A A Z T A E N

You have until this timer runs out to get your submission for the longest word from those letters to me!
(expired on 2015-02-22 23:48:00)

ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:08 pm

As of right now both players have submitted an answer, but the clock is still running. I realize I have left it unclear as to whether or not you could submit as many answers for the Letters and Numbers games within the 24 hour time frame and for me to accept the best one. However, I did not really specify how I intended it to go down, so there are three options here.

A) I could wait for the clock to run out, and you all have the opportunity to continue to submit answers.
B) I could only award one guess and announce the results once I receive PMs from both of you.
C) Players will have the opportunity to guess as many times as they want, but they also have the option to indicate that they will make no further guesses. If both players indicate this, I can end the round early and announce the results.

I am leaning towards option C) because in the event that both players are done with a puzzle, there is no point in running out the clock. This doesn't mean that I necessarily will announce the results of a game earlier than 24 hours, but if I do happen to be around and players are done with the puzzle, I might as well. This also allows a player to keep working on a puzzle for the 24 hour period even after submitting a guess if they like by simply not indicating that they are done with the puzzle.

If you guys have input on this (or if you don't care/are okay with leaving it up to my discretion) feel free to PM me or say express it in the thread. And if you guys are both cool with that ruling and indicate that you are done with this puzzle I can even go ahead and reveal the results as soon as that is done, or I could wait out the clock if that is what you decide.

The reasoning behind this is that I wanted to stick with the format of the game show which allowed contestants a specific amount of time to do the puzzles. Granted you have much more time than they do on the show. Since I was not clear in my formatting, I want to make sure that everyone is on the same page, (including myself) with how this game is structured.

Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Post by Blackberry »

I guess I just have one question (I have only seen short clips of the show so I don't know the answer):

What happens if one provides a wrong guess?

I submitted my response under the assumption we only got one guess and get no points if it's wrong. But if we're allowed multiple guesses, can I then submit a word that is longer but am unsure if it's correct and then still get points if it is right but it reverts back to my original guess if it's not a real word?

I'm perfectly fine with either A) submitting one guess and letting mod post results once both players submit or B) submitting as much as we want as long as it's clarified how scoring works with wrong guesses XD.
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:58 pm

You only actually get one guess per round, but the way I first envisioned it is if you say had a 5 letter word, and checked back a few hours later and figured out a 7 letter word you could submit that one instead. In any case, you only get one official guess, but the question really is whether I allow you to submit one and change your official submission during the time limit, or if I simply accept whatever your first submission is.

Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:06 pm

Post by Blackberry »

I'd prefer we just submit when we want to provide our final answer, that way you can post results early if both of us are done xD. But I'm cool with either scenario.
doctorwho
doctorwho
Watcher
doctorwho
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:05 pm

Post by doctorwho »

What Blackberry said.
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:17 pm

Alright then, that works for me! Each player is allowed to only give me one submission and when they do I will announce the results! Which means I can announce the results for the first game!

doctorwho is up first, he had a 6 letter word.

Blackberry also had a 6 letter word.

If both of those words are valid, both players score 6 points!

Spoiler: doctorwho's Word
GARNET

Spoiler: Blackberry's Word
GARNET

Yes that's right you both submitted the word Garnet! Garnet is a valid word, earning both players 6 points! That was a tricky one actually, I found one 7 (using my super cheating anagram solving skills) which was Tanager which is a type of bird!

Blackberry you may submit your choices from the letter decks for Letters Game 2 at your leisure.

Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Post by Blackberry »

VVVVCCCCC
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:28 pm

Your letters are
A I I I V R M N K
Good luck you guys!

You have until this timer runs out to PM your submissions to me!
(expired on 2015-02-23 23:29:00)

ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:24 pm

A I I I V R M N K
Goodness, those are some dreadful letters.

Spoiler: Blackberry's word
Image MARK! It's a proper noun! It's also a valid word worth 4 points!

Spoiler: doctorwho's word
Image RAIN! Rain is a valid 4 letter word worth 4 points!

Once again both players have tied and both players have scored!

The best I could find for those letters according to my dictionary were 5 letter words. One was RAVIN, which means plunder or pillage. And another one was MAVIN, which was an alternate spelling of maven.

doctorwho you may start our first numbers game by selecting how many large numbers you want. Remember, you may select from 0-4.

doctorwho
doctorwho
Watcher
doctorwho
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Post by doctorwho »

2 large and 4 small please.
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:24 pm

Numbers are 25, 100, 5, 7, 9, 10
Target: 508

Players have until this timer runs out to PM me their answers!
(expired on 2015-02-24 23:25:00)

ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:39 pm

doctorwho claims to have hit the target. So, doctorwho, how did you do?
Spoiler: doctorwho's solution
100 X 5 = 500
9 - 7 = 2
10 - 2 = 8
500 + 8 = 508

That checks out! Correct! doctorwho earns 10 points no matter what.

Blackberry also claims to have hit the target number. How did you do it Blackberry?
Spoiler: Blackberry's solution
(100 * 25 / 5) - 9 + 10 + 7 = 508

And that is also correct! You even used all the numbers, which was not required. You earn 10 points for hitting the target!

It turns out there were many solutions to this one... I came up with a different way, 100*5 = 500 >>> 500 + 25 = 525 >>> 525 - 7 = 518 >>> 518 - 10 = 508.

I even received PMs from non players giving me even more ways to come up with this number.

(9+10)*7 + (100-25)*5 = 508, thanks to Diginova*,

100×5+7+(10-9) = 508 thanks to StrangerCoug*.

*I posted these without asking them so if you don't want me to do that, let me know. I just wanted to give credit to the fact that this one had a ridiculous amount of solutions. Hopefully the future ones will be more challenging!

So today we learned that 508 is a magical number.

Blackberry, your turn to pick 0-4 large numbers for Numbers Game 2!

Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:47 pm

Post by Blackberry »

0!
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:56 pm

Risky move going for no large numbers. But it should make this exciting and challenging!

Your numbers are... 1 1 3 4 9 9
Your target is 637!

Clock starts now!

(expired on 2015-02-25 18:57:00)

ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Well the results are in right now! Once again both claim to have the number exactly!

Spoiler: doctorwho
9+1=10
10x9=90
90+1=91
4+3=7
91x7=637

That is correct! 10 points for you!

Spoiler: Blackberry
(((9+1) * 9 ) + 1) * (3+4) = 637!

Blackberry also earns 10 points!

Spoiler: Results
Both players figured out that 91*7 = 637! This means that at the end of the first match, the score is tied at 30 to 30! It is still very much anyone's game! Unfortunately I did not set up a rule for who goes first in the second (or third) match in the event of a tie, so I am going to flip a coin! doctorwho, you're 1 this time, and Blackberry, you're 2
Original Roll String: 1d2
1 2-Sided Dice: (2) = 2
. Whoever it lands on will decide whether they want to choose first or second. Match 2 consists of 3 Letters Games and 1 Numbers Game.

ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:14 pm

Blackberry, it is up to you to decide whether you want to choose the letters allow doctorwho to pick them. If you want to pick the letters, then you may go ahead at your leisure.

Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:53 am

Post by Blackberry »

Doctor who can pick
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:52 am

Alright, doctorwho, start picking from the letter decks whenever you are ready.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”