The Mission - 1 (Human Victory!)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
archaebob
archaebob
Mafia Scum
archaebob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

The Mission - 1 (Human Victory!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:21 pm

Post by archaebob »

Welcome to
The Mission

I came up with this idea while trying to imagine a mafia-like game with the following qualities:
1) There should be a small number of players who are under constant scrutiny from start to finish.
2) Everyone should play the whole time.
3) Strategy should depend totally on psychology, not math (i.e. behavior analysis and gut reads, not night actions and flips).

The rule set below is my best shot at designing that game. It aims to catch the spirit of perpetual lylo in the simplest possible encasing. In some respects, it's a heavily simplified variant of The Resistance, edited and adapted for forum play. There are some notable similarities, and some notable differences. It is also the follow up to my first attempt at running a game like this in Mish Mash, which received positive reactions all around from players and spectators.

Basics

-
The game has five players. Three Humans, two Aliens. Together, the five players are the Crew.
-
The objective of the Humans is to complete The Mission. The objective of the Aliens to prevent them from doing so five times. The Aliens know who they are, who each member of the town is, and have daytalk. The Humans do not.
-
The game is divided into five days. During the day, the Crew settles on a team of three players to attempt The Mission. If the team has only Humans on it, the attempt is successful, and the Humans win. If the team has one or more Aliens on it, the attempt fails, and the next day begins. After the fifth failure, the Aliens win.

Roles

-
During pregame, each of the five players will be sent a role PM.
Three of the players will be sent the Human role pm:
You are a
Human
. Your goal is to complete The Mission. Your tools are your faith, fraternity, and voice.

Two of the players will be sent the Alien role pm:
You are an
Alien
. Your partner is _______. You and your partner may talk during the game here[sic]. Your goal is to stall The Mission five times. Your weapons are your guile, your malice, and your masseters.

-
The Aliens will have a quicktopic, where they may talk privately through the whole game. The quicktopic will be made public at the end of the game.
-
The game will start when all five players have confirmed their role by PM to the mod. The Humans should state the name of their role in the PM: "I am a Human." The Aliens should do the same, and should also state the name of their partner: "I am an Alien, my partner is _____."

Captains, Voting

Throughout the day, players discuss and ultimately elect a Captain. The Captain leads the team of three players which attempts The Mission. This process works as follows:

-
At the start of the day, players may vote for
other
players. As long as wagons have only one or zero votes on them, players may not self-vote. Post votes in bold:
vote: name
-
If a player has two or more votes on their own wagon, they can become Captain by self-hammering. Players do not become Captain until they self-hammer.
-
After a hammer, players may continue to move their vote. If enough supporters of a Captain change wagons so that there is no longer a majority, then the captainhood is lost. If the Captain unvotes, the captainhood is lost.
-
While a player is Captain, they may at any time declare a team. If they have only two supporters, they can simply write
Declare
. If they have more than two supporters, they should write
Declare: first name, second name
to specify who among their supporters is joining them. Captains may only choose teammates from among their supporters.
-
Once a team is declared, it immediately attempts The Mission. If the team consists of the three Human players, the game is over. If the team has been infiltrated by one or more Aliens, the moderator will post "FAILURE" in the thread, the vote count and deadline will reset, and the day number will increment by one.

Days, Deadlines

-
Days will be ten days long. The moderator will set the deadline exactly 240 hours from either the last FAILURE post, or from the start of the game.
-
If a deadline is reached and no team has been declared, it will count as a failure. No mission will be attempted, but everything else will reset and increment as normal.
-
If a day has ended and there is not yet a posted result, players may continue to discuss in thread. No votes posted during this time will count until the next day officially begins.

Thread Rules, Activity

-
Do not talk outside the thread unless you are an Alien. If you are an Alien, do not talk outside the thread or the Alien QT.
-
Do not edit your posts.
-
Do not use
my color.
(#0000FF)
-
If you don't post in 48 hours, I will prod you. If you don't post 24 hours after being prodded, I will replace you. If I prod you three times, I will replace you. If I replace someone, I will reset the deadline to seven days after the replacement is found, unless this would shorten the day.
-
Follow other site rules.
Last edited by archaebob on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:55 am, edited 36 times in total.
"What happened to your eye?"
"Ice pick, 1957. Anymore questions?"
"Just asking, jeez..."
archaebob
archaebob
Mafia Scum
archaebob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:22 pm

Post by archaebob »

The Mission - 1 Players (5/5)

foilist13
Titus
vettrock
Mitillos
McMenno

Now taking /preins for The Mission - 2. PM if interested.

The Mission - 2 Players (1/5)

vonflare
Last edited by archaebob on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"Just asking, jeez..."
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Post by Mitillos »

/in
You don't have ambiguity; you have
options
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:29 pm

Post by McMenno »

/in
archaebob
archaebob
Mafia Scum
archaebob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:25 pm

Post by archaebob »

Role PMs are out.
"Just asking, jeez..."
archaebob
archaebob
Mafia Scum
archaebob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:14 am

Post by archaebob »

It is now
Day One

Vote Count 1.0
Not Voting:
foilist13, Titus, vettrock, Mitillos, McMenno

Day One ends in (expired on 2015-03-18 15:12:00).
Last edited by archaebob on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Just asking, jeez..."
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:17 am

Post by vettrock »

Greetings all. Who's ready to go?
foilist13
foilist13
Mafia Scum
foilist13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:23 am

Post by foilist13 »

*foilist13 preemptively shoots Titus in the head
"If you are going to tell people the truth, you had better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you."
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:26 am

Post by Titus »

I think we should random vote and force the first captain to elect without consult. For ~reasons~.

VOTE: Foilist
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 am

Post by vettrock »

Titus wrote:I think we should random vote and force the first captain to elect without consult. For ~reasons~.

VOTE: Foilist

OK:
VOTE: Titus
foilist13
foilist13
Mafia Scum
foilist13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Post by foilist13 »

Wait, you want to randomly
elect
a captain??
"If you are going to tell people the truth, you had better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you."
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:59 pm

Post by Mitillos »

Well, that's an interesting start.

Hello everyone.
options
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Post by vettrock »

In post 10, foilist13 wrote:Wait, you want to randomly
elect
a captain??

As this one don't have a hammer, its not as big of a deal, and since you can't vote yourself, you have to pick someone. I don't think there will be too much to go off of until after the first mission.
foilist13
foilist13
Mafia Scum
foilist13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:04 am

Post by foilist13 »

No, I was asking Titus. "...
force
the first captain to
elect
without consult."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's basically asking us to random elect a captain and force them to choose a team.

What is gained from this? Nothing. Read Archaebob's analysis of "eliminating possibilities" in the previous thread. The only gambit here is the captain is forced to choose from those that elected him/her. Either we blind luck a win or the mission fails. If the mission fails, what is learned? The captain or someone who voted the captain is scum. Maybe there are two scum, maybe one. Maybe the captain or maybe not. We learn only that the mission we just tried won't work if we try it again
and
we deliberately rob ourselves of any conversation or information.

It's... literally a freebie for scum.

This flies in the face of all the lessons we learned in the last game. Wtf?
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:27 am

Post by vonflare »

/in for next game plox

Hi vonflare! I've added you to the /prein list for The Mission - 02.

@ other interested spectators -
Please
don't post in thread
if you are not in this game. I'll be thrilled to take your questions or /preins by PM. Thanks in advance!

SORRY D:
- von
Last edited by vonflare on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:17 am

Post by Mitillos »

Vote: foilist
options
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:19 am

Post by Mitillos »

Also, link to "previous thread", please?
options
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:20 am

Post by Mitillos »

Never mind, found it.
options
foilist13
foilist13
Mafia Scum
foilist13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:55 am

Post by foilist13 »

Well now I'm in the shitty position of grabbing the captainhood and taking... you two, or not.

So no. I won't, CUZ WE DON"T KNOW FUCKING ANYTHING
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Post by vettrock »

In post 13, foilist13 wrote:No, I was asking Titus. "...
force
the first captain to
elect
without consult."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's basically asking us to random elect a captain and force them to choose a team.

What is gained from this? Nothing. Read Archaebob's analysis of "eliminating possibilities" in the previous thread. The only gambit here is the captain is forced to choose from those that elected him/her. Either we blind luck a win or the mission fails. If the mission fails, what is learned? The captain or someone who voted the captain is scum. Maybe there are two scum, maybe one. Maybe the captain or maybe not. We learn only that the mission we just tried won't work if we try it again
and

I can see your point here. I agreed with the random elect part, not the without consult part. I do think we can discuss, and see who to take. If the mission fails, we know at least one of those who did not go on the mission is town. One of the things that I thought should have been done differently last game was when blackberry was captain the second day, I would have taken the two that were left behind the first day, rather than changing out just one. I'm not sure the math works out to actually eliminate more possibilities or not, but at least it seems to narrow it down, and would have from his perspective.
foilist13
foilist13
Mafia Scum
foilist13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Post by foilist13 »

No no no, nothing gets eliminated except the possibility we try in that exact moment. We only gain qualitative information which is only useful if we also have conversations and gut reads.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 19, vettrock wrote:
force
the first captain to
elect
without consult."

and

I can see your point here. I agreed with the random elect part, not the without consult part. I do think we can discuss, and see who to take. If the mission fails, we know at least one of those who did not go on the mission is town. One of the things that I thought should have been done differently last game was when blackberry was captain the second day, I would have taken the two that were left behind the first day, rather than changing out just one. I'm not sure the math works out to actually eliminate more possibilities or not, but at least it seems to narrow it down, and would have from his perspective.

I agree. It would have left him with two pools of one rather than two pools of two.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Post by Titus »

force
the first captain to
elect
without consult."

and

It does not. Elect a captain. Have them submit. Then I explain.
Show

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:27 pm

Post by Mitillos »

I am looking forward to your explanation, Titus.

@vettrock: Every mission eliminates one scumteam if it fails. There is no clear benefit in picking ABC and then ADE, over ABD.
options
foilist13
foilist13
Mafia Scum
foilist13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:00 am

Post by foilist13 »

You're not credible Titus. We have had no conversation. Plus, your plan is asinine. I am not wasting a mission attempt on your promised explanation.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”