Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - Case 1 Begins!

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:57 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Directory wrote:Edwards, Marcy........ 26SE
Edwards, Owen........ 62NW
Egan, John.............. 47NW
Egelhoff, Ivan........... 2S
Eggering, Lisa.......... 19WC
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:41 am

Post by Felissan »

At first I was hesitant to participate in this as I had played a couple of these with my family, but it's been ages and I don't remember a single detail.

My first thought is to visit the 12 Deverell Street plant. It would be near-guaranteed to give us more context on the whole situation, and get us some more leads, unlike the visit to the victim's place earlier.

But if we want to see Egan first, I have zero objections.
"Dammit Felissan, making someone lose the game is NOT NICE"
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Captain Egan, 47 NW

We are told by Captain Egan's landlady, whom we suspect was once a bosun's mate on a man-o-war, that he is at the Admiralty.

Leads followed: 32 NW, 14 NW, 56 SW

How do you all want me to handle leads like this where somebody tells you the person is somewhere else? Should I auto-go to the next location, or just give you all a directory lookup? I'll do the latter this time.

Directory wrote: Adams, Harmon......... 43NW
Adelaide-Southampton Line........ 15E
Admiralty, The.......... 10SW
Adrian, Adrian.......... 41E
Agar, Dr. Moore........ 43NW
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:13 am

Post by Aurathebirb »

10SW it is then
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:22 pm

The Admiralty, 10 SW

Captain Egan is a small, bulldog of a man. He paces back and forth behind a massive oak desk as if it were a quarterdeck railing.

"Eight months ago, Allen came to this office with the designs for a new naval gun. Revolutionary in concept. Can't say much about it, most secret, don't you know. The design was approved and monies advanced for its development."

"Can you tell us anything about the meeting Mr. Allen was to have had with you on the evening of his murder?"

The captain barks out a name, unintelligible to us, and an aging Lieutenant, long since beached upon the promotionless shores of paperwork, scurries into the room.

"Bring me the Grant Arms Company file... Allen sent me a wire this morning. Quite vague. Close-mouthed fellow when all is said and done. He was worried about security for Project #10, I know, but wouldn't say much about it; his responsibility, he'd take care of it. Of course, I put some of my men on it anyway."

The lieutenant returns with the file and is dismissed, for the time being, back into oblivion. The captain shows us the wire first. It reads:
Meet tonight
8:30 your office
Call out the guard
Pounce at 10!
- C. Allen
He then shows us a detailed list of the activities of Richard Camp, a development engineer on Project #10.

"As you can see, he was always bringing boxes and bundles to the French Embassy. Emile Zobar, French Military Attache, has his offices at the Embassy."

"So you believe that Mr. Allen's wire implied he had information implicating Camp in a security breach of Project #10?"

"I did. Still do. But Lord Ragland, head of the project, assured me that Allen's security fears were unfounded. We met two days after Allen's unfortunate death. As a precaution, he told me he would remove Camp from the project. Since the conversation, I've concentrated my efforts on Zobar, von Schulenberg, Del Guerra, and Meshkoff. Their governments would all have great interest in our new gun. So far my men have uncovered nothing."

"Thank you, Captain."

Leads followed: 32 NW, 14 NW, 56 SW, 47 NW, 10 SW
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

Let's look up Richard Camp since we're going this direction.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:55 pm

The directory wrote:Cameron, Veronica.......... 88EC
Cammack, Waldo............ 58SW
Camp, Richard................ 23NW
Canaday, Calvern............ 71SW
Canetti, Gabriel............... 4S
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

Okey to 23nw
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Richard Camp, 23 NW

We find Richard Camp in the sitting room of his bachelor apartment nursing a cold and looking thoroughly miserable. As he pours a spoonful of Dr. Saari's Magic Elixir, he is seized with a fit of sneezing causing the liquid to spill down his shirt front.

"Blast!" he curses. He flings the spoon across the room and takes a slug straight from the bottle. "Ill health puts me in ill temper," he says by way of apology.

"We're sorry to inconvenience you, but we would like to ask you a few questions. Would you tell us why you were removed from Project #10?"

"Lord Ragland simply assigned me elsewhere. Since Project #10 was well along, he felt I would be more useful in other areas. He also mentioned that my visits to the French embassy had been misinterpreted in some quarters and perhaps it would be a politic move."

"Your visits to the French embassy?"

"I am secretly engaged to the daughter of the Vice Consul. Her father is a most difficult man. Her uncle, Emile Zobar, is sympathetic to us. Since I work for an arms company and he is the military attache, my visits there were ostensibly to see him. Both Mr. Allen and Lord Ragland were well aware of the real reasons for my visits."

"Did you ever discuss Project #10 with Monseur Zobar?"

"No, I would would never!"

"And where were you the night of the 9th?"

"I met Annette, my fiancée, at Rule's. We took several hours to dine and then I brought her home to the Embassy."

"Just one more question, Mr. Camp. Do you smoke Benson & Hedges Imperials?"

"No I don't. They are a favorite of Emile Zobar's, though, and I gave him some for his last birthday. Why do you ask?"

"Just following up our leads. Thank you for your cooperation, Mr. Camp. Hope you're feeling better soon."

Leads followed: 32 NW, 14 NW, 56 SW, 47 NW, 10 SW, 23 NW
BlightRunner
BlightRunner
Watcher
BlightRunner
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:23 pm

Post by BlightRunner »

Well, those cigarettes sound like a noteworthy answer to a quiz/clue.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:38 am

This game is good 90% of the time of knowing the general order in which you learn things and visit places. Sometimes it's possible to "skip ahead", so to speak.
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:45 am

Post by Aurathebirb »

There's so many possible things to investigate... ah. But the embassy sounds like the most interesting one. I'm also curious about the Russian embassy given the sales to Russia thing we saw earlier. This Courtney Allen guy had an innovative weapon, so my guess is the murder could have been based around some international intrigue. There's an advisor for that we could consider meeting with in a bit. I don't know if responses can be affected by what you already know?

Ragland is sus too though. I'm not sure how far we should go checking alibis. Probably worth it eventually.

The fact that Camp has some sort of sickness is something I see returning. Possibly pneumonia? Maybe he fell into the water at some point. Long shot there.

Someone suggested Deverell plant though so we'll do that next and then the embassy.

/look up Deverell street plant in gunsmiths
/look up french embassy in embassies
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:55 am

The Directory wrote:
Gunsmiths

Colt’s Fire Arms Co.......... 12NW
Grant Arms Co................ 5EC
Rigby & Co..................... 1SW
S. Goff.......................... 28WC
Westley, Richards............ 31NW
Winchester Arms Co........ 21EC
The Directory wrote:DeVecchio, Dominic.......... 15E
Devendorf, Heinz............. 83NW
Devine, Andrew............... 2WC
Devoe, Hacken................ 22S
Dew, Sammy.................. 1SE
The Directory wrote:
Embassies

American Embassy............ 18SW
China Legation................. 38NW
French Embassy............... 59SW
German Embassy............. 9SW
Russian Embassy............. 54SW
Spanish Embassy............. 38SW
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:24 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

5ec as detective felissan suggested
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Grant Arms Company, 5 EC

By prearrangement we meet Constable Beadle behind the Grant Arms Company in the alley parallel to Leonard Street.

"I noticed a strange lump in the alley. I knew right then something was amiss - my instinct for the out-of-place, you might say. Watch your step there! The cobbling hereabouts is in a bad way. Many a jagged edge just made for tripping a man."

We have strolled 30 or so feet from the base of the stairway that leads to the offices of Grant Arms to arrive at the juncture of a T formed with another alley that leads to Old-Street.

"It was right here and, sad to say, it was not a lump at all. Now the victim was lying on his back, the force of the bullet having thrown him backwards. The briefcase was lying right beside the body, waist-high. The wallet was lying a few feet away. The victim's overcoat was thrown open and his pocketwatch was missing, but part of the chain was still attached to the vest. He was quite dead but there was still some warmth in his bare hands so I couldn't have missed the blighter by much.

"Now, I figure the perpetrator must have hid in that shed just up this second alley. When the victim approached, he jumped out and fired point-blank. As you can see, it's but five feet from the shed to where the body lay."

We thank Constable Beadle for his time and trouble. He goes back on patrol but we linger a moment longer at the scene. From the shed Wiggins calls to us.

"Seems both Scotland Yard and our perpetrator have been quite careless." His open palm reveals the remains of a cigarette. On it are the letters "B & H" in gold leaf. The tip is pinched evenly all around.

Beaming, Wiggins suggests that we adjourn to the offices of the Grant Arms Company to interview Allen's private secretary.

Our unorthodox means of entry via the back stairway startles a young man we meet in the corridor. Fair-haired and pleasant-featured, he turns out to be William Linhart. After introductions are made and we are seated in Linhart's office, Wiggins asks him a question that has been nagging at all of us since the beginning. "What was Mr. Allen doing in the alley?"

"Any time he worked after hours, which was often, he would leave by the back way. It was a short walk to Oldstreet where the traffic was heavier and a cab more likely to be hailed."

"So anyone who had a passing knowledge of Mr. Allen's habits, company employees, or even business acquaintances would certainly have been aware of that practice?"

"Yes, that's so."

"That evening Mr. Allen was scheduled to meet with a Captain Egan at 8:30. Can you tell us who Captain Egan is?"

"He is the ordnance officer in charge of purchasing for the Admiralty."

"Do you know what the meeting was about?"

"He and Mr. Allen met often to discuss the special project undertaken for the Admiralty several months ago, but I was unaware of that particular meeting. Mr. Allen regularly delivered progress reports but always during the day, and I always made the appointments. I remember that Mr. Allen asked me to put the SP#10-A folder into his briefcase. It surprised me because I was not aware of an appointment with Captain Egan."

"Could you tell us about the special project?"

"It is very secret, but I suppose I can say that it involves the development of a new type of naval gun."

"Were there problems with the project?"

"None that I am aware of. Mr. Allen was very concerned about security, though. While we do sell arms to foreign powers, there are certain weapons that are reserved exclusively for our own Government. Special Project #10-A was such a one."

"Was Mr. Allen concerned over security based on a specific incident or centered on a specific person?"

"The existence of the project was common knowledge so I'm sure he expected a certain amount of, well, spying. He called in Lord Ragland to discuss the matter after several strange people were seen banging around the Deverell Street plant."

"Why would the plant be under surveillance?"

"All the technical data, blueprints, formulas, that type of thing are housed there. Our offices here are entirely administrative."

"Mr. Allen's brother believes he was having an affair at the time of his death. Realizing that this is a delicate matter, do you know who the lady might have been?"

"No, I don't. Over the years I have always known about Mr. Allen's peccadillos but only in the most general way. We would be working and something would trigger a cryptic remark that obviously had to do with his personal life. For example, after the International Arms Fair opened he received a scented letter on pink stationary. Later that day he was dictating a memo to Lord Ragland when he stopped and picked it up. He took a full whiff of it and said aloud 'Women often marry for a title but they won't necessarily fall in love for one.' Then he laughed and went on with the memo."

"You're now secretary of the new president Mr. Marlowe?"

"Yes. He was Mr. Allen's hand-picked successor which perfectly illustrates the kind of man Mr. Allen was. There was no love lost between them and yet, recognizing Marlowe's outstanding business acumen, he named him as his heir, so to speak."

"Thank you, Mr. Linhart. You've been very helpful."

Leads followed: 32 NW, 14 NW, 56 SW, 47 NW, 10 SW, 23 NW, 5 EC
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Post by Mitillos »

Hello all.
I'm wondering if we should look into Countess von Schullenberg (mentioned in the Arms Trade Fair section of the newspaper). Allen left Keen's winking and saying "Auf Wiedersehen", so I wonder if the woman he was going t supposedly meet was German.
I'm also wondering if we should check on Marlowe's alibi, by visiting Sir Clayton.
You don't have ambiguity; you have
options
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

59sw next
I really want to visit french embassy but thats a good idea too

Yeah checking alibis is always good though
BlightRunner
BlightRunner
Watcher
BlightRunner
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Post by BlightRunner »

I'm probably thinking too hard about this, but I guess we should also find out if anyone uses a cigarette holder if the end of it is neatly pinched. That sounds like a pretty concrete conclusion to make.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Since Aura is the only one giving me addresses we'll go to the French Embassy but I'll interpret Mitillos's post as a request for a directory lookup as well.
The Directory wrote: Schiller, Mark................... 62E
Schindler, Reginald........... 71NW
Schulenberg, Count von..... 51SW
Schwartz, Irving............... 39E
Schwerthofer, Maximilian.......... 43SW
French Embassy, 59 SW

We are shown into the office of a busy little man who twirls the end of his moustache with one hand while he shuffles papers with the other. He barely looks up to inform us that Emile Zobar is not in his office today, but starts violently at the mention of Richard Camp.

"Do I know Mr. Rich... who?"

As he hems and haws a moment or two, a compact man of medium height enters. He breaks off in mid-sentence as he sees us.

"Pardon me, " he says in English. "I am Paul Zobar, Vice Consul. May I be of service to you?"

Before we can reply, the little man explains in a flustered mixture of English and French that we are on our way out and that the matter was a trifling one anyway, unworthy of the Vice Consul's attention. Satisfied, Zobar drops some papers on the desk and leaves the room.

"I'm afraid I have no more time for you. If you wish to see Emile Zobar, I suggest that you call at his home. Good day."

As we are about to leave, a lovely young lady enters. Wiggins bows low to her, sweeping his derby across his body. He is immediately rewarded with a wide, dimpled smile and a curtsy. Before he can advance his cause, however, the young woman calls out "Papa!" and races down the hallway toward Paul Zobar.

Leads followed: 32 NW, 14 NW, 56 SW, 47 NW, 10 SW, 23 NW, 5 EC, 59 SW
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:19 am

Bumping this. Where are we going next?
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 am

Post by Mitillos »

Can we get lookups for both Zobars (Emile and Paul) and Clayton Partridge?
You don't have ambiguity; you have
options
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:48 am

The directory wrote: Zeller, Jarvis............ 42E
Ziber, Matilda........... 82E