Wavelength |||game over|||

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Wavelength |||game over|||

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:30 pm

Post by lilith2013 »

Welcome to
Wavelength
, a team deduction game!

It's really simple to play, all you need to do is read your team's minds :lol:

Gameplay

There are two teams. In each round, one person from each team acts as their team's Psychic. I send the Psychic a card that describes two opposites, and a wavelength spectrum with the numbers 0 to 100 and a target. Their team will know the two opposites on the card, but not where the target is. The Psychic has to give their team a clue that will lead them to guess where the target is on the 0-100 spectrum compared to the two words on the card. The numbers on the spectrum indicate how many points you receive for your guess - the closer you are to the target I sent, the more points you receive. Before I reveal where the target is, the opposing team also has a chance to guess whether they think the true target is further to the left or further to the right than the playing team's guess. Then I reveal the wavelength spectrum and award points based on how close the original team was to the target, and the opposing team gains 1 point if it guessed left/right correctly (but only if the original team did not win 4 points).

Spoiler: Here's an example
I send the Psychic a card that says "Hot | Cold" and the below wavelength spectrum:

Now the Psychic has to think of something that is on the hot/cold spectrum that would put their team's guess close to where the 4 is on the spectrum. Hot is on the left side of the card, so Hot is represented by the left end of the spectrum; and Cold is on the right side of the card, so Cold is represented by the right end of the spectrum. The target is the gray area with the 4 on it, so here it is about 74-79 on the scale of 0 to 100. The Psychic might say "ice water" as their clue, something that's pretty cold but not the coldest. I publicly show the team the Hot/Cold card and the Psychic's clue, "ice water." They do not see the spectrum. Now their team discusses where they think "ice water" lands on the scale of 0 to 100. Let's say they guess it's at 70. Once they lock in their answer, I ask the opposing team to guess whether they think the true target is further to the left (hotter) or further to the right (colder) than the original team's guess. Let's say they think it's further to the right. The original team gains 3 points for guessing 70 based on the spectrum areas, and the opposing team gains 1 point for guessing correctly that the true target was further to the right. If the team had guessed 60 instead, they would have received 0 points, while the opposing team would still have gained 1 point for guessing left/right correctly. And if the original team had guessed 75, they would have received 4 points (and the opposing team also would not have gained 1 point for left/right).

We alternate teams guessing targets on the spectrum, with new cards for each round, until a team reaches 10 points!

Other gameplay rules
  • Psychic role will be rotated based on order of joining the game. Everyone on the team will need to be the Psychic once before anyone can be the Psychic a second time.
  • Each Psychic will get a unique card for their round.
  • The Psychic is not allowed to post in the thread once I have sent them their spectrum until their clue round is over. I will send them the card/spectrum via PM and they will respond to me with their clue in the same PM thread.
  • All other participants in the game can post during the guessing round.
  • Please do not communicate about this game outside of this thread.
  • Teams can be an unlimited number of people, so there is no queue! Just /in and I will place you on a team.
How to guess
  • 0 always represents the left end of the spectrum and the left word on the card. 100 always represents the right end of the spectrum and the right word on the card.
  • Each of the point-scoring ranges have a width of 5.
  • Point-scoring ranges are generated such that the entire 4 space is always visible.
  • Provide a bolded guess like this:
    Guess: 75
    (or
    Guess: Left
    if you're the opposing team)
  • Only the first guess from each team in this format counts.
  • Each team will be assigned a representative - whoever was most recently a Psychic who is no longer a Psychic. The representative changes each time the team gets a new Psychic. The representative is in charge of making the team's official guesses, both numbers and Left/Right.
Scoring
  • Teams start with 0 points
  • Points for the guessing team are determined by the number shown on each area of the spectrum.
  • The opposing team gains one point for guessing left/right correctly, but only if the guessing team did not score 4 points.
  • Rounds alternate between teams.
  • The game ends when all players on both teams have been Psychic at least once, and both teams have played the same number of rounds. Then the team with the highest score wins!
  • If there's a tie, I will be the Psychic for a sudden death round. The team with the highest score from sudden death rounds wins.
Timelines
  • The Psychic will have 24 hours once I PM them the card/spectrum to provide a clue.
  • The Psychic's team will have 4 days to come up with their guess.
  • The opposing team will have 48 hours after this 4 day period ends to guess left/right.
IMPORTANT: Rules about giving clues
  • You may not use Google/other search engines or any outside resources when giving a clue.
  • Convey a single thought - there shouldn't need to be explanatory context or multiple ideas contained in one clue.
  • Don't "invent" something - although the clue can refer to something fictional, it has to already exist in the universe. You can't make up an idea just for the clue (e.g. "Draco Malfoy" is acceptable while "Draco Malfoy if he was rewritten with Neville Longbottom's personality" is not).
  • Stay on topic - if the card says Hot | Cold, you have to provide a clue that can be considered hot, cold, or somewhere in between (e.g. "thunder" would not work as a clue).
  • Don't use the words on the card or synonyms/alternative forms of those words - you can't use "heat" as a clue for "Hot."
  • No numbers - you cannot use numbers, percentages, ratios, or anything similar to sneakily provide the location of the target (e.g. "3/4").
  • No puns, rhymes, homonyms, etc. that try to get around the topic of the card.
  • Using proper nouns as clues is highly encouraged!
The first game will start when we have 6 people! (3 per team)
Alternatively,
if we can't find 6 people to play, we can switch to co-op mode where everyone is on the same team and you have 7 rounds to get the highest score possible.

We are currently playing a round-robin style, with two games of two teams each, and then the two winning teams go head to head!
There’s no limit to the number of players on a team, so you can join the game at any time! You can /in to a specific available team (marked in the team list as "available for new members") or simply /in and I’ll place you on a random team.

P.S. Please let me know if you prefer co-op mode or have any suggestions for changes to the allotted times, scoring limits, etc. Definitely open to suggestions!

Game History

Spoiler: Game 1
Team IMAGINATION:
5 points
Ariel
northsidegal
Tatsuya Kaname
Something_Smart
Annadog40
Felissan
LlamaMama

Team Headgear Psychics:
11 points
Kanna
popsofctown
Knightmare491
Hectic
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
shiki

Spoiler: Game 2 (tie broken by Sudden Death)
Team Debt Star:
19 points
shiki
enomis
Kanna
Not Known 15
Isis
Hectic
Menalque
Panzerjager

Team Velvet Thunder:
22 points
NotaJumbleofNumbers
Xtoxm
vincentw
northsidegal
Tatsuya Kaname
Knightmare491
Auro

Spoiler: Game 3
Team Wealthy Star:
8 points
Hectic
Auro
Kanna
Datisi
Menalque
Isis
Pookythemagicalbear

Squad 1:
18 points
northsidegal
Nahdia
Silverclaw
vincentw
NotaJumbleofNumbers
Sirius9121
GeorgeBailey
Noraa
Last edited by lilith2013 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:20 am, edited 45 times in total.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Post by popsofctown »

boop
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Post by popsofctown »

boop
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:37 pm

Post by Ariel »

/in
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:38 pm

Post by Kanna »

/in!
spirited away thanks for the good memories

"My heart is shaped like a harp with strings that go wiggle wiggle when someone is acting like an earnest bucketheaded townie incapable of wrong" ~ Isis
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:45 pm

Post by northsidegal »

/in
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Post by popsofctown »

i'm in
"Well, I..."
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

/in!
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Yes. Making too many hoods is moderator suicide. -Enter
I want to shoot this post in the face with a flamethrower. - zakk
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:03 pm

Post by lilith2013 »

Oops, maybe should have saved a second post for team lists. Ah well! Doesn’t matter too much since there’s no queue.

Team 1

Ariel (1st Psychic)
northsidegal
Tatsuya Kaname

Team 2

Kanna (1st Psychic)
popsofctown

Feel free to come up with team names while we wait for more people! We’ll start as soon as we get one more.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:20 am

Post by popsofctown »

"Headgear Psychics"

If the third that shows up isn't wearing something on their head in their avatar they are BANISHED
"Well, I..."
Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:55 am

Post by Knightmare491 »

I mean I want to play and I read the rules, but not sure if I got everything.
but /in
"Don't be afraid of losing people. Be afraid of losing yourself by trying to please everyone."

"If you're bored contemplate the fact that the collective reads of n players in a n-player game of Mafia define a set of vectors in an n-space, and useful game information can be extracted from this."
~Rectiplanes
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:13 am

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

In post 10, Knightmare491 wrote:I mean I want to play and I read the rules, but not sure if I got everything.
but /in
Forget the rules, all you need to use in this game is telepathy.
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:55 am

Post by Knightmare491 »

Cool, let's dew thissss
"Don't be afraid of losing people. Be afraid of losing yourself by trying to please everyone."

"If you're bored contemplate the fact that the collective reads of n players in a n-player game of Mafia define a set of vectors in an n-space, and useful game information can be extracted from this."
~Rectiplanes
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:57 am

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

Let's name our team: "IMAGINATION" (source)

Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:50 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Dammit, a game about being psychic and I missed it? :X

Put me down for game 2.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:40 am

Post by lilith2013 »

In post 14, Something_Smart wrote:Dammit, a game about being psychic and I missed it? :X

Put me down for game 2.
There’s no limit to the number of players on a team, so there’s also no queue! You can join a team immediately.
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:45 am

Post by lilith2013 »

Team IMAGINATION
: 0 points
Ariel (Current Psychic)
northsidegal
Tatsuya Kaname
Something_Smart

Team Headgear Psychics
: 1 point
Kanna (1st Psychic)
popsofctown
Knightmare491

Ariel is up! I have sent her a card and spectrum, and she has (expired on 2020-04-21 11:44:22) to provide a clue.
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:48 am

Post by lilith2013 »

Team IMAGINATION is up! Here’s your card:

Good movieBad movie

Your Psychic, Ariel, has given you the clue

Your team has (expired on 2020-04-24 13:48:13) to guess where the target is. It’s now up to you to discuss and determine where
is on the spectrum from 0 to 100. 0 represents “Good movie” and 100 represents “Bad movie.”

Remember to provide your final answer in this format:
Guess: X
where X is between 0 and 100.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:50 am

Are we allowed to look stuff up?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:51 am

Post by lilith2013 »

Yes, there is no restriction on Googling/use of other resources.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:17 am

So I don't know very much about Avatar. I've only seen like the first third of it, and I didn't like it at all, but I generally don't like movies so that doesn't count for much.

From what I've heard it seems like it was pretty well-received, though?
Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:36 am

Post by Knightmare491 »

So it's better for us not to discuss until they answer right?

~Rectiplanes
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:37 am

Post by lilith2013 »

Probably, yes, although I'm not placing any restrictions on it. Feel free to distract or mislead if you wish.
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:01 am

Post by Kanna »

In post 9, popsofctown wrote:"Headgear Psychics"

If the third that shows up isn't wearing something on their head in their avatar they are BANISHED
<3
spirited away thanks for the good memories

"My heart is shaped like a harp with strings that go wiggle wiggle when someone is acting like an earnest bucketheaded townie incapable of wrong" ~ Isis
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I'm having trouble making out what's going on in Knightmare's avatar but I am assuming a Knightmare wears a helmet and ethereal is acceptable!
"Well, I..."

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”