MafiaScum Idol Season 1 (And the winner is...)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #625 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:01 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

WELCOME EVERYONE TO THE FIRST MS IDOL FINALE!!!! WOW what a season it's been and what such talented singers we have. When I started this contest, I wanted everyone to show off and share their own talents just to see what sorts of singing stars we had here at MS, and over the course of this season, I've been completely blown away round after round. You are all AMAZING singers and it's been so fun discovering hidden MS talents. I'm so proud of each and every one of you and think that you are all just tops.

Two singers have battled it out over the duration of this contest, Toolenduso and Mina, and both have qualified for the finals. They have spent two weeks preparing two songs to perform for you, the audience, to vote for to win.

Thank you all for having gone on this experimental contest I wanted to try out. It's gone so much better than I could have ever hoped for and I adore you all.

Before we get to the final vote, I want to remind everyone of the journey our contestants have had thus far:

Auditions (Free For All): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Round 1 (Rock): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Round 2 (Musicals): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Round 3 (Genderbend): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Round 4 (Country): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Round 5 (Music in Animation): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Round 6 (70s): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Round 7 (Eurovision): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Round 8 (Non-Animated Movie Hits): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Round 9 (Judge's Choice: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Toolenduso and Mina were asked to perform within the theme of "Past and Present", one song they performed prior to Round 9, and one song of their choosing that they have not performed.

Here are their entries:

Mina-
"Past" Magic Man by Heart: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JS4Qqk ... sp=sharing
"Present" Round Midnight by Thelonius Monk: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZU8cX8 ... sp=sharing

Toolenduso-
"Past" You'll Be Back from Hamilton: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1232HB5 ... 8u2Tx/view
"Present" Thinkin Bout You by Frank Ocean: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1avmKjM ... sDs-d/view

This is it folks. It all comes down to a simple audience vote. I will participate as a member of the audience just like anyone else. Here are voting Rules:

1. You vote for the person you believe performed the best.
2. Although On the doc I have two voting options for each finalist...I will accept a vote for either as both are associated with the same person. EG if someone votes for Magic Man and someone else votes for Round Midnight, Mina would get 1 vote from each for a total of 2. It does not matter which of the two song choices you pick, the person's name who is associated with the option is the one who gets the vote.
3. You have 48 hours from the time of this post to vote. If you voted last round, feel free to use your unique ID code I PM'ed you again. If you didn't vote last round, PLEASE PM ME FOR YOUR UNIQUE CODE SO THAT YOU CAN VOTE THIS IS REQUIRED.
4. The only people who cannot vote are Mina and toolenduso, everyone else, have at it as long as I've given you a code.
5. The person with the most votes will become our first MS idol contestant!

Okay this is it folks, no more critiques or comments from me. You know the rules (and so do IIIIIIIIII), so get on out there and vote for the contestant you believe should be the first ever winner of MS Idol!!!

Voting Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform

Best of luck to both finalists, you are both terrific!
Last edited by Malkon05 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #626 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:08 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

sesquipedalian
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #627 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:06 am

Post by Malkon05 »

Just a reminder voting closes Monday at 9:01pm EDT/6:01 PDT. I don't know if that was clarified in my OG post.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #628 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:35 am

Post by Malkon05 »

A little under 8 hours left to vote. BE SURE TO GET YOUR VOTES IN PLEASE!!!
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #629 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Post by Mina »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #630 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Hello everyone! I have the results.

So long story short, I could just...tell you who the winner is, or I could do survivor style vote reading.

Because I do love a good bit of drama, I'm going to do the latter to show you the winner. The show will begin in approximately five minutes once I've thrown up the advertisement that this is starting!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #631 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:39 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Okay. This contest has gone on long enough, it's time to begin the reading of our votes.

But first I would like to say that a total of 7 votes were cast. So thank you to those who voted. It will take 4 votes to officially be declared the first ever MS Idol.

The first vote is for...

Mina!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second vote is for...

toolenduso!!!!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #632 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

The third vote is for...

toolenduso!!!!

The fourth vote is for...

Mina!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which brings our current total to:
2-2
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #633 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:42 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #634 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:43 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

The fifth vote is for...

Mina!!!!!!!!!!!

The sixth vote is for...

toolenduso!!!

3-3

Which means that:
With one vote left, one of you two is about to be crowned MS Idol!!!! BUT WHO IS IT?!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #635 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:47 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

With a total of 4 votes...the first ever MS Idol winner...and the winner of an imaginary cash prize that definitely does not exist...and some bragging rights maybe.

Is....

Not any of our lovely participants who didn't make the f2. Please give a warm round of applause to everyone who participated this season, you were all just delightful and I appreciate all of you for participating. And-

Oh what's that?

My producer is telling me to just get on with it.

In a vote of...4-3.

The winner...

IS....

MINA CONGRATULATIONS OMG YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!

And that's a wrap on season 1. Thank you again to everyone who participated, voted, were part of this experimental process. I have no current plans to do a season 2 anytime soon, but perhaps early next year if I get myself together we can discuss it.

I hope you all had fun and I hope you all learned something from this. From the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone who made this such an incredible freshman entry into what I hope to become a series in the future.

You are all lovely. Have a wonderful evening, and congrats again to our winner and runner-up, you were both phenomenal contestants!!!!!!!!

See you all for season 2 hopefully <3
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #636 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:49 pm

Post by Mina »

*stunned silence*
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #637 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:50 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 635, Malkon05 wrote:Not any of our lovely participants who didn't make the f2. Please give a warm round of applause to everyone who participated this season, you were all just delightful and I appreciate all of you for participating. And-

Oh what's that?

I lol'd, like audibly :P XD
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #638 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

This contest began on July 9th and ended October 12th.

3 months and 3 days. Thank you to the 12 contestants who went through this process!!! This was a lot of time and energy and I appreciate you all :)
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #639 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:22 pm

Post by Mina »

Spoiler:
Thank you so much to Malkon for running this! I've always been shy about posting my singing in public, and I'm definitely not a technically "good" singer, so I was really on the fence about participating in the first place. This was great at pushing me out of my comfort zone. It feels crazy it came to this, particularly since there were a few rounds early on where I felt like I was in danger. Thank you to anyone who voted for me (particularly for overlooking the parts where I fucked up <3)

Everyone who participated was incredible, and you made this a lot of fun. Shout-out to toolenduso, who I'm convinced was deliberately singing with a bad mic in the early rounds to lull us into a false sense of security. Now that it won't affect the votes anymore, your "For Forever" blew me away. That long "FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE" was the sound of my MS Idol dreams dying forever at the time. :D I feel so bad that the vote wound up this close.

I had a lot of fun, and thanks again for running this, Malkon! You did a fantastic job of keeping this positive and drama-free. I feel like I learned a lot from this contest.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #640 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Congratulations Mina! You did a great job. I'll post some more thoughts in a bit, like probably tomorrow.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #641 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:18 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Congrats!
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #642 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:23 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 640, toolenduso wrote:
Congratulations Mina! You did a great job. I'll post some more thoughts in a bit, like probably tomorrow.
In post 631, Malkon05 wrote:Okay. This contest has gone on long enough, it's time to begin the reading of our votes.

But first I would like to say that a total of 7 votes were cast. So thank you to those who voted. It will take 4 votes to officially be declared the first ever MS Idol.

The first vote is for...

Mina!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second vote is for...

toolenduso!!!!
In post 632, Malkon05 wrote:The third vote is for...

toolenduso!!!!

The fourth vote is for...

Mina!!!!!!!!!!!!

2-2
In post 635, Malkon05 wrote:With a total of 4 votes...the first ever MS Idol winner...and the winner of an imaginary cash prize that definitely does not exist...and some bragging rights maybe.

Is....

Not any of our lovely participants who didn't make the f2. Please give a warm round of applause to everyone who participated this season, you were all just delightful and I appreciate all of you for participating. And-

Oh what's that?

In a vote of...4-3.

The winner...

IS....

MINA CONGRATULATIONS OMG YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!

And that's a wrap on season 1. Thank you again to everyone who participated, voted, were part of this experimental process. I have no current plans to do a season 2 anytime soon, but perhaps early next year if I get myself together we can discuss it.

I hope you all had fun and I hope you all learned something from this. From the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone who made this such an incredible freshman entry into what I hope to become a series in the future.

You are all lovely. Have a wonderful evening, and congrats again to our winner and runner-up, you were both phenomenal contestants!!!!!!!!

See you all for season 2 hopefully <3
Congrats, glad I voted
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #643 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:24 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

When will Maikon sign the winner to a million pound, 5 album record contract?
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #644 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:28 am

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 643, Not_Mafia wrote:When will Maikon sign the winner to a million pound, 5 album record contract?
Maikon sounds loaded!!! Definitely hit them up for that. Maybe Malkon should hit them up too, that dude is super poor!!
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #645 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:35 am

Post by Aristophanes »

A million pounds though?

I guess it's gonna be Heavy Metal.
- Jingle
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #646 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:43 am

Post by toolenduso »

Thoughts:

-This contest was a ton of fun. I think I mentioned earlier that I'd been pretty sad about not being able to do karaoke because of the pandemic. I love singing, and I love singing for other people, so I was very happy to have this place to do that.
-Thanks to Malkon for running it, especially in the middle of apocalyptic fires. This was a sensitive thing and it required the right kind of personality to run it. You did a great job hosting.
-Everyone did a great job, and I loved being surprised by what people chose in each round and hearing how they did it. It kind of made me sad that the nature of the contest was people getting eliminated each round because then there were fewer entries to listen to.
-The process of practicing and recording gave me newfound appreciation for the singers whose songs I was doing. You learn so much about what it takes to sing, you notice brilliant little choices you never noticed before, you find things that didn't seem that hard to do but very much are once you're the one in front of the mic. Frank Ocean in particular, hoo boy. He makes the falsetto sound so effortless and beautiful. It took me considerably more effort to make that happen.
-At first I was a little irked at having to go learn new songs in some rounds because I just wanted to go cover all the songs I already knew and loved, but by the end I wound up appreciating the fact that we had a new theme each round. It forced me to branch out and now, looking back over all the rounds, I see how much variety and ground we covered. I especially liked learning For Forever because I hadn't heard that (or anything from Dear Evan Hansen) before and it's a really striking, unique, powerful song.
-I do feel like I learned a thing or two about singing during this. The "lift" was new to me, and learning about it gave me a lot more information about what and where my soft palate is and how to control it. I did the same vocal warm up video on YouTube every time and messing around with different octaves during that video helped me more clearly understand the limits of my range. And I definitely learned a few things about singing in falsetto, and about sustaining it.

edit: wait, that did not need to be spoiler'd
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #647 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:30 am

Post by CaptainMeme »

In post 646, toolenduso wrote:I especially liked learning For Forever because I hadn't heard that (or anything from Dear Evan Hansen) before and it's a really striking, unique, powerful song.
I'm really surprised it's not one you knew before considering how good that submission was - I've gone back and relistened to that recording a ton already. It was actually just incredible.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”