MafiaScum Idol Season 1 (And the winner is...)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #550 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:59 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Oh and there will be a prize for the winner of Round 8 that has to do with the theme in Round 9, so there is still incentive to want to "win the round". Just fyi.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #551 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:46 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

In post 549, Malkon05 wrote:My best example of this would be in Dreamgirls, "And I am Telling You I'm Not Going" was not originally done for the movie, however "Listen" was. So I would accept "Listen", but not "And I am Telling You...".
Would you mind expanding on this example more? I am not familiar with dreamgirls, and a quick wikipedia skim shows both songs were in the broadway musical and the movie
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #552 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:46 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Also congrats hasch!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #553 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:32 am

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 551, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 549, Malkon05 wrote:My best example of this would be in Dreamgirls, "And I am Telling You I'm Not Going" was not originally done for the movie, however "Listen" was. So I would accept "Listen", but not "And I am Telling You...".
Would you mind expanding on this example more? I am not familiar with dreamgirls, and a quick wikipedia skim shows both songs were in the broadway musical and the movie
""Listen" is a song recorded by American singer Beyoncé. The song was written by Beyoncé, Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler, and Anne Preven, and produced by The Underdogs, Matt Sullivan and Randy Spendlove for the 2006 musical film Dreamgirls"

""And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" (also known in short as just "And I Am Telling You") is a torch song from the Broadway musical Dreamgirls"

Key word in these is that one was written "for the musical film" and the other "from the broadway musical."

Does that clear this up?
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #554 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:53 am

Post by toolenduso »

The fact that there was no ABBA in this round is 100% due to this rule:
In post 526, Malkon05 wrote:As a note, I will allow songs from the Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga movie that released on netflix earlier this year.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #555 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:12 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

oooof I think that knocks out jesus christ superstar and rocky horror picture show
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #556 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:16 am

Post by toolenduso »

Notes:

-So when I picked Lion of Love, I was kind of like, "Oh this will be a fun silly song that won't take a ton of effort!" And then I was very wrong. That song requires either excellent control or huge volume, and since I don't have excellent control, I went with volume, and it was a frickin battle to get through the whole song every time I tried.
-I've been recording with my personal laptop up until this round, and the built-in mic was terrible, so my wife suggested for this round that I try her work laptop, which is a mac. So I did, and the built-in mic was waaaaaay better.
-One of the ways it's better is at handling clipping. There are two moments in the song where it was clipping: "won't get away this
time
" and on that last big "meet the lion of
love
." On my personal laptop that would've sounded like total garbage, but on the mac it wasn't too bad!
-Just to get that last big, drawn-out "love" to even be recordable, I held the laptop as far away from my body as I could and turned my head around as far as it would go. I think you can tell in the recording that my voice suddenly sounds farther away even though it's louder. It still clipped.
-Wow Dschingis Khan is silly. A lot of fun. Haschel, you did a great job selling all the weirdo vocalizations and stuff.
-Anyone else think Rise Like a Phoenix sounds like a theme song to a Bond movie?
-Sad to see Bella cut... I know that's the whole idea of the contest, but still.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #557 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:17 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

actually I'm not 100% sure how to look for songs that fit this category. I don't have much knowledge in musical films, and all of the ones I know started as plays. Idk how to tell whether or not the songs were written for the play instead of the musical if they're listed like this
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #558 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:31 am

Post by Mina »

Guys, it doesn't have to be a movie musical. For example, anything that was a Best Original Song nominee at the Oscars qualifies.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #559 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:33 am

Post by Mina »

(Source: I asked Malkon this last week.)
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #560 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:52 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Oh, duh. That's a good point.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #561 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:38 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

What about a song that was written for a movie but then the studio decided they wanted a different artist to sing it instead and then that second artist released her recording a month before the movie came out and then the first artist who was supposed to be in the movie but wasn't released her version of the song the same day as the second artist?
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #562 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:40 am

I'm not gonna sing that song because I have some others that fit my voice better, but I did consider it!

Bonus points if you can guess what song I'm referring to.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #563 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:08 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Omg toolenuso that intro was epic
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #564 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 am

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 558, Mina wrote:Guys, it doesn't have to be a movie musical. For example, anything that was a Best Original Song nominee at the Oscars qualifies.
This is a good example. Anything that falls under “original song” for a movie works. Best example of this off the top of my head is that Norah Jones song from the movie Ted.

There are a lot of choices.

I just wanted to provide the dreamgirls example as something to show more specifically what I am looking for and is allowable vs isn’t allowable.
Last edited by Malkon05 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #565 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:58 am

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 561, Haschel Cedricson wrote:What about a song that was written for a movie but then the studio decided they wanted a different artist to sing it instead and then that second artist released her recording a month before the movie came out and then the first artist who was supposed to be in the movie but wasn't released her version of the song the same day as the second artist?
I don’t really have time to sift through this hypothetical. If you have a song you are considering but aren’t sure about and don’t feel like publicly saying it, just message me privately and I’ll give you a specific example.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #566 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:02 am

Post by Malkon05 »

I have other examples, but if you want ideas or are struggling please reach out.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #567 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:54 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 563, Flubbernugget wrote:Omg toolenuso that intro was epic
Lol thank you. It's a silly song, so it inspired me to be silly. Come to think of it, it's exactly the kind of campiness the drummer of my college band desperately wanted me to embrace on stage...guess I owe it to him.

I have no idea how my entry this round is going to go over, but it's one of my favorite picks I've done so far so I'm kind of enjoying just doing a bunch of takes. I also had it in mind for a couple rounds before this one.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #568 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:55 am

The worst part of this contest is thinking "Oh I should have done THIS song in that previous round instead!" Yesterday while driving I had a strong urge to resubmit the Animation round with "Never Had A Friend Like Me".
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #569 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:17 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

anyone else do a last minute song change?
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #570 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Okay everyone I have results.

Before I post them, I just want to say that THIS WAS FAR AND BY FAR THE BEST ROUND IN THIS COMPETITION. You all brought it this week, you all shone brightly as the stars you are and you should all be very freaking proud of yourselves. Just amazing. This was an IN-CRE-DI-BLE week. To the person who is eliminated, I'm so sorry. This was far and by far the toughest cut of the game and just...I don't have words. I honestly think all 4 of you hit the mark and this was so tough. Ugh I just...god this choice was impossible.

Without further ado...the results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Congratulations to
toolenduso!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on winning the round. You may notice that
everyone is gold or green this week. Which means this round was too close for me to make a call on who to cut. As a result I've made the decision to move all four of you onto the next round. HOWEVER, this means next round that TWO people will be cut instead of one so we stay on track for the finale.

So first off, I did promise last week that the prize for the winner was knowledge of the twist for this round in advance. However, that round is now and I will introduce the twist: My score will only count for half of your aggregate score. The other half will come from AUDIENCE VOTING. I will wait until I have entries in for this competition and then create a poll once they are in for MS users to have 48 hours to vote. The top scorer will get 10 points. The second place scorer will get 9.5 points. The third place will get 9.0 points. The fourth place will get 8.5 points. That, in combination with my score for that round will give you a total out of 20 points. The top two scorers next round will be our two finalists and will duke it out for the title of MS Idol.

I also did promise a prize for the person who got first this week, and will now reveal the theme and what that prize is.

The theme this week is....Judge's Choice!

In the next 24 hours. I will be sending you 3 songs to choose from. You must perform one of those 3 songs. I don't care if it's a cover of that song, or a different instrumental, or what have you, but I do expect you to perform one of those songs. I will be doing my absolute best to try and pick you songs that I believe will be good for you.

You then will have 24 hours to review the songs and get back to me. If after that 24 hours you wish it, you will give me feed back on my choices and if you are not satisfied, I will send you a final song. You will then have a week from that time to record one of those songs. So to recap, you have 48 hours for song choices/selections/rechoice and then a week to record.

The prize for the winner of this round, is that I will be giving them an additional song on the onset. This means they will have 4 songs to choose from and if after 24 hours they are not satisfied with their choices, an additional song will be given at that time.

Please bear with me as I review the songs you've done so far, dig through my repertoire and choose songs individually selected for each of you :)

Congratulations to our semi-finalists and I cannot wait to see how this goes.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #571 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:40 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

YO I HAD A CHANCE TO DO CHRIS CORNELL LAST ROUND????
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #572 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

also who got eliminated? I only see greens and yellows

edit: never mind. my phone doesn't always render spoilers, sorry about that.
Last edited by Flubbernugget on Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #573 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:43 pm

Post by Mina »

Read the spoiler, Flub!
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor