Let's Play Oregon Trail II (Game Over)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Let's Play Oregon Trail II (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:25 pm

Post by Equinox »

Howdy.

Some of you may remember playing some version of the Oregon Trail in your younger years. It's a game about an era of U.S. history that often overlooks the Native genocide that accompanied a national policy of "manifest destiny". However, since it came up in Discord today and I happen to own the best (and most challenging) variant, Oregon Trail II, I figured that I might run a Let's Play to send four scummers west.

Spoiler: Old Information
How this is going to happen:
  • To simplify things, I'm going to play on Trail Guide mode, a teacher traveling in April 1848 from Independence to Oregon City using a large farmwagon. I'll be purchasing my standard set of supplies that I've used for high-score runs. If you want me to grab something specific for shits and giggles, then note it and I'll get it if I can afford it.
  • The first four people to post /in for the wagon party will be included.
    Both wagon parties are currently full! Post /in to join the waiting list. With your /in, please note how old you would like to be in the game, between 5 and 65 years old.
  • I'll post choices as they come up in the game in this thread, and everyone, including observers not in the wagon party, can vote for which option to take!
  • For any choices that personally affects someone (e.g. if Equinox gets a snakebite), then everyone can vote for which option to take, but the person affected has priority (e.g. if everyone votes for sucking out poison but Equinox wants to use a tourniquet, Equinox gets the override).
    This feature will be available only during live streams, details TBD.
With that, post an /in if you want a name on either a gravestone or land deed. Otherwise, I'll start whenever the party is full and I figure out how to get around this bug with loading saved games.
As of 16 March 2021, sign-ups are closed.

Wagon Party 1
(4/5)

Equinox, party leader
Haschel Cedricson, 47
CaptainMeme, 25
xofelf, 23
VashtaNeurotic, 12 (died of internal injuries)

Progress so far: September 1, 1848, 1939 miles traveled
Final score: 25,555

Independence to St. Joseph Road Junction
St. Joseph Road Junction to South Platte River
South Platte River to Fort John
Fort John to the "Parting of the Ways"
"Parting of the Ways" to California Trail Junction
California Trail Junction to Oregon City

Wagon Party 2
(5/5)

zoraster, party leader
AGar, 27
Silverclaw, 62
Ariel, 25
Mitillos, 35

Progress so far: September 19, 1848, 2310 miles traveled
Final score: 28,195

Independence to St. Joseph Road Junction
St. Joseph Road Junction to the "Parting of the Ways"
"Parting of the Ways" to Fort Bridger
Fort Bridger to Oregon City

Wagon Party 3

lendunistus, 5
Sirius9121, 19
dsjstr, 8

Progress so far: September 10, 1848, 1998 miles traveled
Final score: 24,510

Independence to Fort John
Fort John to the Dalles
The Dalles to Oregon City
Last edited by Equinox on Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:32 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

/in!

EDIT: I am 47 years young.
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:46 pm

Post by CaptainMeme »

/in

Let's go real age with 25 :D
Sometimes when I'm thinking of a track to submit, I think to myself "okay I could submit X, but I know a lot of people won't care for it, there's no point in wasting their time and mine". Glad to see [CaptainMeme] isn't burdened by such thoughts.

-Het
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:57 pm

Post by xofelf »

/in, let's go 23
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:19 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

/in
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:21 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Oh and make me 12, I will be a rambuncous tween
George Bailey
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:49 pm

Post by zoraster »

/in and 65 like the boomer i apparently am
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:50 pm

Post by AGar »

I'll be a headstone or some shit!
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:46 pm

Post by Equinox »

If we get another five people, then I will launch a competing wagon party and y'all can race for who gets there first!

Unfortunately, I discovered that I cannot save the game at random events, so that means we can't rub salt in the wounds of xofelf getting attacked by a bear. Sorry! It looks like that sort of thing would work better on a live stream, which I'm totally happy to do if enough people are interested. In the meantime, it looks like I'll be saving at road junctions and basically whenever I feel like it, and there will be plenty of either type.

Anyway, the first wagon party started their journey on April 1, 1848! How exciting. At Independence, using the $425 they had remaining after purchasing a wagon, the party purchased a lot of supplies:

The gist is that we purchased seven oxen, fruits and vegetables, the traditional several hundred pounds of bacon, clothing, medicines, tools, and miscellaneous stuff to maintain our sanities as we march across the continent. I
think
I bought enough food to last, but I also purchased a rifle, gunpowder, and bullets in case we need it toward the end of the journey. Once we got everything we needed, we joined a small, 10-wagon train consisting of 47 people, and we went on our merry way.

Upon exiting Independence, we encountered our first river crossing. The Blue River was still frozen, so we crossed on the ice. It was quite fortunate that nothing happened because the high for April 1 was 36°F, so the ice could have been melting for all we knew. We passed through the towns of Westport and New Santa Fe. I opted not to stop because I had purchased all of the supplies we needed (or at least I think I did).

On April 9, we had a severe thunderstorm. Thunderstorms were fairly common on the prairie, so I opted to continue as usual because to slow down or to wait for improved conditions would mean wasted time, and we needed to get to Oregon before the snow did. As the thunderstorm cleared, we decided to cross the Kansas River. Given that the ferry was a hefty $6.25, we decided to float the wagon across the river. The wagon didn't tip over, which was great. However, VashtaNeurotic got a cold, which was not great.

Vinegar was an option to alleviate his cold, but who has ever taken vinegar for a cold? We decided to increase his fluid intake because he probably got sick from not drinking enough water.

As VashtaNeurotic chugged water, we reached our first junction of the trail: the St. Joseph Road Junction. Where did the party go next?

Oregon Trail heading west

St. Joseph Road

Rest here

Vote with your favorite device now! Deadline will be whenever I start the game again, but it won't be for at least 24 hours. Choose wisely.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:51 pm

xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:52 pm

Post by xofelf »

In post 8, Equinox wrote:so that means we can't rub salt in the wounds of xofelf getting attacked by a bear. Sorry!
I came here to have a fun time and I feel so attacked.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Post by xofelf »

I'm good with whichever.

Also, that is some intense nostalgia. I had forgotten that this was the one with people's faces in pictures. Haven't played it since like middle school.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

*coughs*

You know what they say, the best treatment of a cold is going down St. Joseph's Road.
George Bailey
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:31 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

/in wagon 2, randomize me an age!
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Post by AGar »

Oh /in Wagon 2 if that materializes, and fuck it, let's be 27 again.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:27 pm

Post by Ariel »

/in wagon2 25
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:18 pm

Post by Mitillos »

/in wagon2 35, because I want to recapture the wonderful days of my lost youth. :þ
You don't have ambiguity; you have
options
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 am

Post by lendunistus »

/in wagon2 if there's room

i'll be 5 for shits and giggles
Sirius9121
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:00 am

Post by Sirius9121 »

in if allowed, preferably 19 yrold
余命数か月ばかりの恋に点滴で扶養する患者達
被害者の甘い期待を弔い悔悟の機会を躊躇うドクター
所以など行方知らず未知の病巣に臥す患者達
発熱が死因 然れば早期に躊躇すべきだったと知る放火犯
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 am

Post by CaptainMeme »

I vote to go west

west is best
Sometimes when I'm thinking of a track to submit, I think to myself "okay I could submit X, but I know a lot of people won't care for it, there's no point in wasting their time and mine". Glad to see [CaptainMeme] isn't burdened by such thoughts.

-Het
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:15 pm

Post by Equinox »

Thanks for the interest! Unfortunately, the second wagon party is full with Mitillos, so I've put lendunistus and Sirius9121 on the waiting list for when I start another round.

Wagon Party 1

Oregon Trail heading west (2) - Haschel Cedricson, CaptainMeme
St. Joseph Road (1) - VashtaNeurotic
No preference (1) - xofelf

With that, the party decided continue heading west with VashtaNeurotic feverishly coughing and sneezing in the wagon. At the junction, I got a nasty splinter in my thumb that I noted in the in-game diary, but otherwise no other events of note happened. There was heavy fog as we made our way through the plains of what is now Nebraska, but skies were clear when we rolled into Fort Kearny. I decided that it was a good time to top up on food and take care of some wagon maintenance, so we went inside and visited the doctor, blacksmith, and livery. I purchased an additional 90 pounds of bacon, four kegs of pickles, and 100 pounds of rice.

CaptainMeme caught a cold a few miles past Plum Creek. Since increasing fluid intake for VashtaNeurotic worked well the last time, we decided to also have CaptainMeme hydrate.

As the party passed through O'Fallon's Bluff, we came across an abandoned wagon. I searched it and found a pound of nails. The thick fog continued until we reached South Platte River.

Unfortunately, the game bugged out and wouldn't let me cross, so I'm pausing here for now. I'll launch the second wagon party and see if I can't get the first party to cross the river later tonight. For shits and giggles, though, I'll give y'all a few hours to decide on how you want to cross the river! Here are the conditions:

This river looks as though it may be rather difficult.
Width: 3000 feet
Depth: two feet

What do you think Equinox's wagon party should do here?

Wait/rest here

Ford the river

Caulk the wagons and float

Results in maybe three to four hours.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm

Two feet? That sounds fordable to me!
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:34 pm

Post by CaptainMeme »

Fordin' sounds good to me!

-Het
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 pm

Post by Equinox »

Wagon Party 1

CaptainMeme and Haschel Cedricson suggested fording the river while the depth was good, so the party forged on. Upon crossing, they double-teamed up California Hill and locked their wheels down Windlass Hill, landing in Ash Hollow. The next several days of the journey were easy rolling on flat land, passing through Courthouse and Jail Rock and Chimney Rock. As they passed Robidoux Pass Trading Post, there was a prairie fire. It was odd, given that the temperature was a cool 67°F on May 21, but the party opted to wait for conditions to improve before moving on. A couple of days later, they continued to Laramie River, which they crossed until they reached Fort John.

The party stopped at the fort to top up supplies -- 50 pounds of dried fruit and two kegs of pickles -- and get their health and wagon checked. Luckily, CaptainMeme had recovered from his cold by this point, so it was simply a wellness check at the doctor's office.

At the fort, there was a decision to make. Where did Equinox's party go next?

Mormon Trail heading east

Rest here

If you opt to rest, then make sure to note for how long.

Wagon Party 2

The second party is ready to go! They convened in Independence on April 1, 1848, and may have even run into Equinox's party while shopping. Similar to the first party, they bought plenty of food and supplies to ensure their survival on the five- to six-month overland journey. In case anyone is curious, here's what was purchased by both parties:

Spoiler: The Shopping List
Purchased 1 8-oz. bottle of alum, 500 pounds of bacon, 5 blankets, 5 pairs of boots, 1 16-oz. bottle of brandy, 5 yards of brown muslin cloth, 1 box of 20 bullets, 1 4-oz. bottle of camphor, 3 canteens, 1 checkers board and set, 1 compass, 1 deck of playing cards, 10 10-lb. sacks of dried beans, 10 5-lb. sacks of dried fruit, 10 5-lb. sacks of dried vegetables, 1 12-oz. bottle of epsom salts, 3 fishing poles, 2 10-lb. jars of grease, 1 25-lb. keg of gunpowder, 1 hammer, 1 harmonica, 5 hats, 1 hunting knife, 1 4-oz. bottle of iodine, 1 16-oz. bottle of isopropyl alcohol, 1 4-oz. box of James Fever Powder, 1 kettle, 1 ladle, 7 oxen, 1 pail, 1 pan, 1 4-oz. bottle of peppermint, 1 pick ax, 1 pot, 5 20-lb. sacks of potatoes, 2 30-foot lengths of rope, 4 10-lb. sacks of salt, 1 4-oz. bottle of sarsaparilla, 1 6-oz. bottle of sassafras, 5 sets of clothing, 1 set of cooking utensils, 5 sets of eating utensils, 1 shovel, 5 10-bar boxes of soap, 2 tents, 5 tin cups, 5 tin plates, 1 16-oz. bottle of turpentine, 2 30-lb. kegs of vinegar, 1 water keg, 1 gallon jug of whiskey, 5 winter coats, 5 winter scarves.
Purchased 1 rifle.
Purchased 1 spare wagon axle, 1 spare wagon tongue, 1 spare wagon wheel.

At any rate, they finished their shopping so quickly that they joined a different, nine-wagon train of 32 people. The Blue River that morning was a fairly ordinary river, so zoraster's party forded it, marking their first step west. Between Westport and New Santa Fe, zoraster was appointed trail guide. Immediately, he was faced with his first test: the trail was flooded.

He attempted to ford through the water but got his wagon stuck in the mud instead. Double-teaming with another wagon's animals got the party going again, though the flooding continued for the next couple of days. There was finally respite at Blue Mound, but there was heavy fog as they floated their wagons across Kansas River. Luckily, they didn't tip the wagon over, but they did decide to just take the toll bridge at Red Vermilion River, paying $1.00. The trip was relatively uneventful, and they crossed the frigid Big Blue River. On April 19, they reached St. Joseph Road Junction, three days behind Equinox's party. No big deal. Perhaps zoraster's party would catch up soon. That said, at the junction, where did they go?

St. Joseph Road

Rest here

Depending on how many people I hear from, I may pick this up later tonight or wait until tomorrow. Up to you!
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

The other party went west, so clearly we take