Let's Play Oregon Trail II (Game Over)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:38 pm

Post by Mitillos »

I'm good with either the trail or the road.
You don't have ambiguity; you have
options
dsjstr
dsjstr
Mafia Scum
dsjstr
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:12 pm

Post by dsjstr »

/in Wagon 3

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:06 am

Post by AGar »

Variety is the spice of life or some shit like that so let's go
St. Joseph's
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:14 pm

Post by Equinox »

Wagon Party 1

With no votes, Equinox's party defaulted to traveling west on the Oregon Trail. The wagon train held a meeting outside of Fort John and continued to travel in thick dust. The party floated their wagon across the North Platte River before taking a quick stop at Independence Rock to talk with the other people in the wagon train. As it was June 1 and thus too early to celebrate Independence Day at the rock, the party continued onward. Unfortunately, past Devil's Gate, Haschel Cedricson caught the dreaded cholera. He was administered epsom salts in an attempt to control the disease.

At Rocky Ridge on their way to South Pass, the wagon tipped over during two attempts to climb uphill with ropes and chains, resulting in the loss of some supplies. No one was injured. A day later at South Pass, Haschel Cedricson recovered. With this part of the journey out of the way, everyone was headed for desert for the next leg of the journey. Before doing so, though, they had the opportunity to stop at a fort, should they wish to purchase supplies. Alternatively, they could take the cutoff to save some time.

Where did they go?

Road to Fort Bridger

Sublette Cutoff

Rest here

Results tomorrow. So far, everyone is in good health!

Wagon Party 2

St. Joseph Road (2) - Silverclaw, AGar
No preference (1) - Mitillos

zoraster's party opted to take St. Joseph Road at the junction. This road took them directly east back through the Big Blue River, Vermillion River, and Missouri River crossings to St. Joseph, Missouri.

After spending some time checking out the city, they headed back, reaching the junction on May 5. This time, they took the Oregon Trail heading west. Nebraska was, as with the other party, smooth sailing, and they made a quick stop at Fort Kearny to purchase some additional dried bread and rice.

At Plum Creek, Ariel got a concussion. Based on advice from the guidebook, Ariel was given camphor for stimulation, and the party continued on their way, perhaps more carefully this time. By the time they reached O'Fallon's Bluffs, Ariel had recovered.

It was raining when the party reached the South Platte River crossing, making the river more treacherous than usual. Thus, they took a day to wait for conditions to improve. It did not, so they attempted to float their wagon across. Unfortunately, the wagon tipped, losing some supplies. The bad luck continued; though they were able to double-team up California Hill, they tipped their wagon while attempting to go down Windlass Hill. While they were leaving Ash Hollow, Silverclaw caught cholera. He was given epsom salts to ease the condition.

On the trail, the party bumped into someone who has what is possibly the worst "Irish accent" in video game history:

This game was released in 1995, but there is really no excuse.

Silverclaw recovered around when the party reached Courthouse and Jail Rock. They ran out of fruits and vegetables when they reached the Laramie River crossing, so they made a quick stop at Fort John to purchase dried beans and potatoes to stave off scurvy. In the interest of time, they departed the fort and took the Oregon Trail heading west.

The party was making its way through the Laramie Range when Ariel caught a bad cold. Ariel was advised to hydrate. Ariel was still sick when the party reached Independence Rock on June 25; it was still a little early for Independence Day celebrations, but now there was a bit of a time crunch if they hoped to reach Oregon before the winter snows. On their way to the "Parting of the Ways", they celebrated Independence Day. It was a fantastic celebration marked by a bad case of mosquitoes.

zoraster's party slowed down due to quicksand close to the fork in the trail, but eventually they reached the same decision point as the other party. Where did they go?

Road to Fort Bridger

Sublette Cutoff

Rest here

Results also tomorrow, and now everyone is in good health!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:19 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Our supplies are good, right? I vote the Cutoff.
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:22 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

I vote for whatever the first wagon doesn't do.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

I want our next move to be quite sublette
George Bailey
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:47 pm

Post by xofelf »

Yeah if we're good on supplies, i'm down for the Cutoff.

P-edit: I MIGHT CHANGE MY MIND AFTER THAT >:(
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:37 pm

Post by AGar »

That's not even an accent!

Also Wagon 2, we've been snake bitten as fuck, I think we're still in good shape if we hit the fort.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:39 pm

Post by Mitillos »

If they had done an accent, it might seem culturally insensitive.
Anyway, we should probably check if there's cheap supplies at the fort, since we lost/used some, even with our newfound potatoes and beans.
You don't have ambiguity; you have
options
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:34 am

Post by CaptainMeme »

Sublette sublette sublette
Sometimes when I'm thinking of a track to submit, I think to myself "okay I could submit X, but I know a lot of people won't care for it, there's no point in wasting their time and mine". Glad to see [CaptainMeme] isn't burdened by such thoughts.

-Het
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:43 pm

Post by Equinox »

Wagon Party 1

Sublette Cutoff (4) - Haschel Cedricson, VashtaNeurotic, xofelf, CaptainMeme

Deciding that they had enough supplies to last for the next leg of the journey, Equinox's party opted for the Sublette Cutoff. They parted ways with the wagons that chose to go to Fort Bridger and continued through the Rocky Mountains. At the west end of the Sublette Cutoff, the party decided to keep going to Fort Hall. It was starting to get hot now with highs of 97°F, but the party trudged on as usual. As they were floating across the Thomas Fork, the wagon tipped, resulting in the loss of some food and medicine and CaptainMeme getting a sprained ankle. The team immobilized his ankle for the time being. The wagon tipped again as they attempted to anchor it down Big Hill, but they managed to get down with ropes. At Smith's Trading Post, they purchased some bacon and potatoes to replace the food that was lost, but there was not much in the way of supplies on sale. On their way out, they were accosted by locusts, but what else was there to do but keep going?

Past Sheep Rock, the team encountered fresh fruit. They were able to gather four pounds while traveling, which added flavor to their meals of bacon and potatoes. Once at Fort Hall, the team purchased additional food and supplies. Morale was looking good as the train continued traveling alongside the Snake River. At the California Trail Junction, there was a decision to make.

At the start of the journey, Equinox had decided that the party would be traveling to Oregon City. Now, however, there was the opportunity to instead go southward toward Sacramento, where the California gold rush was underway. Where did they go?

Oregon Trail heading west

California Trail

Rest here

Note that the win condition is traveling to Oregon City. While the game will celebrate the player arriving at a different destination than originally scheduled, there is a points penalty for doing so.

Wagon Party 2

Road to Fort Bridger (3) - Silverclaw, AGar, Mitillos

zoraster's party voted to head to Fort Bridger in pursuit of additional supplies, which was a good decision given that they were running low on food. At the fort, they purchased a couple hundred pounds of dried vegetables and rice, but there was no meat on offer. They could go hunting at some point.

That said, at the fort, there were two possible paths to take. Where did they go?

Road to Fort Hall

Salt Lake Alternate Route

Rest here

I have a free-ish day tomorrow, so I may end up doing multiple updates depending on how many people vote before then.

If any of y'all are interested in doing a live stream run, then let me know what times work for you this weekend and I can do a fresh game (or, if it's just one party that is interested, continue their game) over Discord.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:50 pm

California can suck it; it’s off to the Willamette Valley for us!
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:57 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

Maybe Fort Hall will have meat?
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:08 pm

Post by AGar »

I'm guessing the alternate route is maybe shorter? idfk

Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:41 pm

Post by Ariel »

Idaho via Fort Hall seems good
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:53 pm

Post by AGar »

Ok
Fort Hall
it is.

VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:44 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

George Bailey
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:49 pm

Post by xofelf »

NO.

Oregon >:(
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:04 pm

Here is what I think of your idea:

CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:29 am

Post by CaptainMeme »

Playing Oregon Trail and going to California would be ridiculous. To Oregon!
Sometimes when I'm thinking of a track to submit, I think to myself "okay I could submit X, but I know a lot of people won't care for it, there's no point in wasting their time and mine". Glad to see [CaptainMeme] isn't burdened by such thoughts.

-Het
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:55 pm

Post by Equinox »

Wagon Party 1

Oregon Trail heading west (3) - Haschel Cedricson, xofelf, CaptainMeme
California Trail (1) - VashtaNeurotic

Watching the video is optional, but you can listen to me ramble about the game. Unfortunately, I didn't properly set the volume for desktop audio or microphone in OBS Studio, so you can barely hear me when the game gets loud. Sorry about that!

VashtaNeurotic was soundly outvoted, so the party continued westward to Oregon through a severe thunderstorm. The skies cleared just in time for Independence Day, so the train took some time to celebrate before moving on. They stopped at Fort Boise to do some quick animal and wagon maintenance and top up supplies. However, when the party attempted the second crossing of the Snake River, the wagon tipped over, and VashtaNeurotic died of internal injuries, having never realized his dream of seeing California.

The party took some time to bury VashtaNeurotic at East Cow Hollow before continuing to Farewell Bend. Just past Flagstaff Hill, CaptainMeme caught scarlet fever. Without other remedies available, the team decided to give him fluids and rest for four days to let the disease pass, which it fortunately did. Once CaptainMeme recovered, the party went full speed ahead to the Dalles, where they had the choice to take the safer Barlow Toll Road for $5 or raft down the Columbia River into the Willamette Valley. With food to spare, the party took the toll road. Nothing of note happened on the way.

On September 1, 1848, CaptainMeme, Equinox, Haschel Cedricson, and xofelf arrived in Oregon City. They were able to claim 1,407 acres of land and lived long and prosperous lives.

Final score: 25,555

Update for the second wagon party will follow once I return.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

I TOLD YOU WE SHOULDN'T GO TO OREGON!
George Bailey
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:08 pm

Post by Equinox »

Wagon Party 2

Road to Fort Hall (3) - Silverclaw, Ariel, AGar

There was no luck getting meat at Fort Bridger, so the party decided to head for Fort Hall instead of taking the cutoff. The wagon tipped while trying to go down Big Hill, but a surprisingly well-stocked Smith's Trading Post was able to replace much of the lost supplies. At Fort Hall, the party stocked up on more food and did some maintenance.

This image is basically peak mid-1990s, low-budget graphics.

Food was low again as the party approached Fort Boise, so they stopped there to purchase more supplies. Unfortunately, there still was no meat, but they kept going. They stopped by the Whitman Mission ruins before making a quick detour to Fort Walla Walla for more food. Luckily, there was meat. After some conversation, the party made its way to the Dalles.

In the interest of speeding up the end (and honestly because I was recording and wanted to show this minigame), they chose to raft down the Columbia River. If you want to watch it in action, the time stamp is 32:19, but I will warn you right now that I was very bad at it.

The wagon tipped over a few times, but no injuries were incurred. Some supplies were dumped into the river, but at this point in the game it did not really matter.

On September 19, 1848, AGar, Ariel, Mitillos, Silverclaw, and zoraster rafted into Oregon City a little worse for the wear but intact. They were able to claim 1,539 acres of land and lived long and prosperous lives.

Final score: 28,195

Thank you to everyone for participating! I'm going to take a couple of days off from the game before launching the third wagon party. If y'all want to try again with different settings, like a different jumping-off point (Independence, St. Joseph, Nauvoo, Kanesville) or destination (Oregon City, Sacramento, Great Salt Lake City, Jacksonville), feel free to /in!
Mitillos
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mitillos
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:01 am

Post by Mitillos »

Hooray, we won! :þ