Discussion for Changes to MS Policies (11/22/20)

This forum is for ideas for the layout of the site and forums, both appearance and content.
zoraster
Disorganized Crime

Pronoun: Unspecified

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 pm

This is for discussing this thread.

Please keep this thread on topic and constructive. While these policies are intended to be implemented immediately, we are listening for constructive feedback.

Alisae
lolbalance

Pronoun: E (e/em/eir/eirs/emself)

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:26 pm

This is a step in the right direction
Good job I’m really happy with this
Discord: Alisae#3437
GTKAS Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 pm

The Discussion Mod team deserves a lot of appreciation for doing this. Thanks Discomods and Mister Zor.
meta is trash

MathBlade
Technical Support

Pronoun: He

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:29 pm

I like this too! :) *goes back to semi lurkerdom*
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade

xofelf
Miss Mash

Pronoun: They

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:33 pm

The discmods and zor did so much for this. All did so great. Gold stars for all.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to know a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697

Ircher
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:33 pm

This is indeed a good change, and I appreciate all the hard work that went into this.
Check out my Player Ratings page! Be sure to check my main page as well.
Level Up (12/4+) is currently active. Come slay monsters. How high of a level can you reach?

Theorem of the Week: The Uncountability of the Reals: There exist many more real numbers than natural numbers (i.e.: the reals have a greater cardinality than the natural numbers.)

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:41 pm

ego
get to know a reckoner
meta is trash

FUCK CANCER. #greenshirtthursdays

northsidegal
Best Mechanical Play/Excellent Moderation/Best Setup

Pronoun: She

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:24 pm

zoraster wrote:Use of scripts or other devices to functionally ignore the presence and posts of another player in a game is not allowed.

General Discussion will now be non-indexed. In other words, only registered users will be able to see General Discussion and all topics therein. This does not include Mafia Discussion.

i'm not sure i really understand the rationale for these changes.

for what it's worth, i have never used my ignore script on anyone other than a confirmed scum treestump in a theme game, i'm just unsure why it's banned. it may not be polite but presumably you don't have to interact with anyone in a game (within the purview of still playing to your win condition), so it seems a little strange to ban ignoring scripts specifically. after all, you could just ignore people the old fashioned way, no?

zoraster
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 pm

Do you mean ignore just by ignoring what they're saying or ignoring via the foe function? Because the foe function purposefully does not work with mafia games, and this is explicitly banning the practice of getting around that.

You are, of course, within your rights not to read people's posts.

northsidegal

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:17 pm

i mean just ignoring what they're saying. i guess my question is if you can just ignore people the old fashioned way, why bother banning a method of ignoring them some other way?

also interested in why GD is no longer indexed / available without an account. i don't frequently read it while logged out but i might have looked through it before i first made an account, and i might imagine others could do this as well, to get an idea of sort of what the MS community is like before making an account. it seems to me like the speakeasy already served the purpose of a non-indexed section specifically in a private setting.

TemporalLich
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:18 pm

I'll have to say I like the expectations for users... kinda feeling this community is hostile to anyone with politics right of center and I consider myself a libertarian (I mostly support liberty, though equality of opportunity is necessary to have a free society) so that's why I avoid General Discussion like the plague.

I think "assume good faith" is a policy that should be enshrined as an actual policy though...
time will end

zoraster
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:27 pm

In post 9, northsidegal wrote:i mean just ignoring what they're saying. i guess my question is if you can just ignore people the old fashioned way, why bother banning a method of ignoring them some other way?

Why bother using the method if you can ignore the old fashioned way? Because the two things are in fact different.

Equinox
Shot Count

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:33 pm

In post 9, northsidegal wrote:also interested in why GD is no longer indexed / available without an account. i don't frequently read it while logged out but i might have looked through it before i first made an account, and i might imagine others could do this as well, to get an idea of sort of what the MS community is like before making an account. it seems to me like the speakeasy already served the purpose of a non-indexed section specifically in a private setting.

We decided for the sake of increased privacy that General Discussion should be at least be placed behind an authentication wall, especially since we are also restricting the Speakeasy to age 18+.
uneasy lies the head that wears a crown

Silverclaw
Townie

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:34 pm

I'm very confused by the SE/GD change.

Making GD no-indexed is a great move, but locking SE behind an 18+ barrier seems like an odd choice to me, is not one I understand the logic of, and quite honestly feels ageist.
Formerly animorpherv1. Get to know Silverclaw!

I've been dancing with the devil/He was always good to me/I've been working in the shadow/Of a friendly enemy

northsidegal

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:42 pm

In post 11, zoraster wrote:
In post 9, northsidegal wrote:i mean just ignoring what they're saying. i guess my question is if you can just ignore people the old fashioned way, why bother banning a method of ignoring them some other way?

Why bother using the method if you can ignore the old fashioned way? Because the two things are in fact different.

various reasons, i'd imagine. convenience comes to mind first, although again i have never done this except in unique circumstances so i can only imagine.

i'm not trying to be hostile. i recognize that ignoring someone normally and using a script are, in fact, different things. i'm just interested in the rationale behind the banning of the latter.

In post 12, Equinox wrote:
In post 9, northsidegal wrote:also interested in why GD is no longer indexed / available without an account. i don't frequently read it while logged out but i might have looked through it before i first made an account, and i might imagine others could do this as well, to get an idea of sort of what the MS community is like before making an account. it seems to me like the speakeasy already served the purpose of a non-indexed section specifically in a private setting.

We decided for the sake of increased privacy that General Discussion should be at least be placed behind an authentication wall, especially since we are also restricting the Speakeasy to age 18+.

i'm not really a huge fan of that change or rationale, honestly. i think that given that a significant amount of mafiascum is made up of the community/discussion-side rather than purely the mafia-side that there should be some part of the site community visible to non-users that isn't just mafia games, and i say this as someone who i think most people would consider pretty overwhelmingly on the mafia side rather than the discussion side. again, i thought that the speakeasy was meant to serve as the private location. it seems with both GD and the speakeasy being non-indexed and non-available to logged out users that the only real difference between the two is that one is 18+ only and requires a mod to get around to adding you to it. i don't really like that increased overlap in purposes.

Silverclaw
Townie

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:44 pm

To make this point in a separate post for the sake of clarity:

Why are we making Speakeasy 18+? Is this a choice that we're making solely to differentiate the two? Are we looking for the speakeasy to be the place for more adult content? Do we want it to be the place to have more honest and open discussions? Something else I'm missing?

If this is a place to discuss 18+ content, I guess? But honestly, I don't see much of it, so this would effectively kill the speakeasy. If we're looking for a place with more open and honest discussions, throwing the 18+ label behind it means that we're not getting the views from underage users. And it's not like once someone hits 18 they suddenly become incredibly introspective on the world or anything.

This is before we get into the fact that the Speakeasy contains the threads that are honestly some of the most important for our underaged users, like Guys Part 2 (which SHOULD stay here) and the trans* thread.

I've been dancing with the devil/He was always good to me/I've been working in the shadow/Of a friendly enemy

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:04 pm

Whew nothing terrible.
All the scumbuddies are making a fuss,
But I can't pay attention 'cause I'm on that bus.

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Also sweet no kids in the speakeasy and an unindexed gd are truly unlooked for blessings.

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:37 pm

So like, if things are indexed, banned users can use GD activity to harass or stalk users still on the site. That's a hard stop for me, not gonna support anything that leads to potentially opening up the userbase to harassment. And this isn't an abstract concept, it's very real and very dangerous. It is true that the community nature could play a role in getting people to decide to play here, but IMO that loses in the importance of protecting the community from ill-intentioned users. For example: say a user is banned for sexual harassment, but an in-person meetup is organized via GD. That banned user can still see the details of the meetup. That's a massive problem.

As for the 18+ on the Speakeasy -- straight up, we know users are going to discuss more adult concepts and content, and we want to wall that off from underaged users. We're complying with what we believe is a good idea that "allowing minors to be in the room while adults are discussing sexually explicit topics could be problematic". Guys Pt 2, while doing SOME good for underage users, is EXACTLY the type of thread we wouldn't want minors in because it is actually very sexually explicit to the point that I'd be very uncomfortable with a minor participating in those discussions. Exposing a minor to explicit content can be construed as abuse. There are potential liability issues, plus just us doing our due diligence to make sure we're creating spaces for the community where people are protected. We debated 18+ vs 16+ for a while but decided on 18+ due to the site being hosted/living in the US. Our hope is that by making GD nonindexed, some of those discussion topics that were posted in SE because of the privacy issue will be able to be discussed more openly in GD moving forward.
get to know a reckoner
meta is trash

FUCK CANCER. #greenshirtthursdays

Silverclaw
Townie

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:46 pm

If this is how we're doing things, I'd like to see "official" GD threads for LGBT+ issues and as well as potentially other topics. Because I do feel like this is an important thing that we do need, and having it come from the mods would help in the transition.

That said, I feel like the migration you're expecting won't be happening nearly as much as the mods expect it to. For this to work effectively, I do think there needs to be more than "hey Speakeasy is for adult topics now" and just leave it at that - because those not locked out of the speakeasy won't change their behaviours unless they got age banned, thereby requiring them to. This is basic human psychology at work.

EDIT: Ideally, a GD/SE pinned thread going "OK here's the deal" for this would be wonderful as well - because I didn't quite get the logic until it was explained, and now our only explanation is in site ideas.
Last edited by Silverclaw on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mastina
False Prophet

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 pm

In post 1, Alisae wrote:This is a step in the right direction
Good job I’m really happy with this
Said much the same to zor before I saw this thread was a thing. <3

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:53 pm

I'm not sure discussion threads need to be run by mods actually. I mean someone (obviously not me) should just make that thread.

Silverclaw
Townie

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 pm

In post 21, Ythan wrote:I'm not sure discussion threads need to be run by mods actually. I mean someone (obviously not me) should just make that thread.

Do they need to? Obviously not - but having the skittles do it lends it an air of "officiality" that would make users more likely to post in there as opposed to using the previous threads.

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Previous threads like Guys pt 2? We are discussing a gd alternative to that one right?

Silverclaw
Townie

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:57 pm

Yup.

Next
[ + ]

Return to Site Ideas