Scummies Ideas, Suggestions and Comments Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1225 (ISO) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:38 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

In post 1212, zakk wrote:
In post 1205, Kison wrote:
In post 1203, ExoticQueen wrote:I'm new but if you could make profiles customizable with music, images, and such that would be great!!! :D
And listing your top 8?
you laugh, but i had Tom in my top 8

Myspace was the successor of Napster, IMO. Napster GOAT.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1226 (ISO) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Post by Psyche »

think md discussion has advanced enough lately to justify returning the professor mafia scummie
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1227 (ISO) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:35 pm

Post by Creature »

Let's riot if Best Town Performance award isn't brought back to Scummies 2018.
Sigh
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #1228 (ISO) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Sugestion for a pithy name for best town performance: Outstadning Citizen Award
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1229 (ISO) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Post by Alisae »

tbh
you could probably come up with better
but I like the sound of that.
GTKAS
| here.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1230 (ISO) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1226, Psyche wrote:think md discussion has advanced enough lately to justify returning the professor mafia scummie
I dunno what happened to it but there was a Best IC/Prof Mafia category that was a combination of both that I'd support coming back
green shirt thursdays
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #1231 (ISO) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:18 am

Post by Ellibereth »

I'm not sure those two should be grouped together. They're not similar imo.
FLASH OF GREEN
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1232 (ISO) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Sure they are. They're both about providing a level of input on theory/playstyle/rules/etc to try and better the community and make people better players.

IMO, what an IC does is a subset of the things Prof Mafia could do

Also, historically, we had best IC for a while. Then like 1-2 people got nominated each year. So it was merged with Prof Mafia to try and broaden the pool. I'm not sure why Prof Mafia was removed but I would wager it's because there still weren't many nominations
green shirt thursdays
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #1233 (ISO) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Post by Ellibereth »

But the way they're done are so different.

How do you judge between someone who only IC's and never posts in md vs. someone who only posts in md and never IC'd a game.
FLASH OF GREEN
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1234 (ISO) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

who had the most positive impact on the mafia side of the site
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1235 (ISO) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

there's also the idea of "being an IC is just something a ton of people do so how do you go through that and judge the best one"

i look at someone like Thor who goes and dedicates his whole year to teaching newbies how to play as a bigger impact than say one MD most from mastina
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1236 (ISO) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 499, Scummies wrote: The
Best IC Player
category is being rolled into
Professor Mafia
, and the definition for the award is changing. The change for this award was two-fold. Number one, we saw a dearth of nominees and competition in the Best IC category and realized it was mostly the same one or two players being nominated every year. We didn't want the award to get stale, as we felt putting in time to help people learn to play the game was valuable and should be rewarded. But... number two, Professor Mafia was already a role that, in essence, rewarded people for contributing to the mafia community by helping people learn or understand the game better! With Professor Mafia being a Body of Work award anyway, we think allowing contributions as an IC in a newbie game to be considered in the judging process will allow for a wider array of nominees and keep the judging for the category away from being a contest of "Whose one-off theory thread was bigger this year?"
In addition
, we are stripping the following from the "Professor Mafia" award:
  • Best Contribution to Mafia Discussion/The wiki
    -> Best Teacher & Contributor to Mafia Discussion
  • Contribution to the wiki will no longer be considered for the award
  • Judges will focus on body of work more than a single individual thread or post
yeah so this was 4 years ago Prof Mafia/Best IC merged
green shirt thursdays
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #1237 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 1234, xRECKONERx wrote:who had the most positive impact on the mafia side of the site
make this the award. whether its hosting a bunch, icing a bunch, MD a lot, making games enoyable
third best scummer of all time
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1238 (ISO) » Fri May 18, 2018 5:42 pm

Post by LicketyQuickety »

In post 5, chamber wrote:I was throwing around the idea of merit based achievements instead of the classical way scummies are handled with someone over aim the other day. The entire process for awarding them atm seems flawed because I think judges are rarely as invested as they'd need to be to make strong choices, and the nomination process requires you actually get nominated for a given award. Examples of achievements being something like winning > x% of your town games, winning > y% of your scum games, never getting mislynched as town, never getting lynched as mafia, being in a game where you were only on scum lynches. I'm sure you guys can think of more. The idea would be objective awards that could be handed out to any number of people.

Issues with this are the current method of display of scummies, and actually tracking it all, but hopefully that would be worked out on the backed of the site by next year (which if I understand correctly is what you are taking suggestions for?)
I actually like the idea of this. Ofc the way the trend of Scummies is going, I think regarding Town wins it would just get wrapped up with Paragon. Not really a fan of having all these super multi utility Scummy awards really, but I'm not on the committee that comes up with the awards so /shrug
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #1239 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2018 6:36 am

Post by Errantparabola »

This thread has been moved to MD.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #1240 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2018 9:28 am

Post by BBmolla »

Scummies encourage bullying let’s cancel them
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1241 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2018 10:05 am

Post by northsidegal »

is it even possible that any suggested changes could be implemented for this year?
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1242 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2018 10:09 am

Post by Psyche »

It honestly should be. The change process right now is so slow that nothing ever happens. There should at least be some period after a scummies ceremony where feedback can be taken and integrated before awards categories and whatnot are cemented for the next year.
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1243 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2018 10:11 am

Post by northsidegal »

yeah, what i'm thinking is just whether or not it's worth even saying anything right now if it would only be possible for a change to be made come next year. i definitely agree with you.

things fall apart
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1244 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 1241, northsidegal wrote:is it even possible that any suggested changes could be implemented for this year?
Small changes are a "maybe"; big changes are explicitly a "no". Unfortunately.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1245 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Post by northsidegal »

i'm assuming any new categories would be considered a "big change"?

things fall apart
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1246 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Post by Pine »

Some things have been discussed. We're not at liberty to discuss exactly what, as official information comes from the Chair, but we are interested in diversification.

The new SSC is energetic, dynamic, and very interested in what the community has to say. However, as we are already more than a quarter of the way through the year, and coming up hard on 1/3, our marching orders are small changes only.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1247 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Post by Psyche »

dynamic like a tree
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1248 (ISO) » Sun May 20, 2018 3:57 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

You're a tree
green shirt thursdays
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1249 (ISO) » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Post by Psyche »

viewtopic.php?p=10241730#p10241730

okay, i've been given the okay to at least write something for this, and i thought that this might be a good place to talk through the specs

Here's the gist. The scummies committee faces a dilemma with respect to how it runs the nominations thread: how to collect nominations.

On the one hand, there's the current way of collecting noms: you can have users submit their nominations through a google form. This makes it very easy for committee members to track and organize nominations as well as for nominators to make submissions. A downside of this approach, though, is that it seems to inhibit discussion of and more broadly engagement with the scummies, as a thread designed around the form is relatively rigid and readers are no longer alerted through the usual channels when a new nomination is made. Users have gotten around this by posting their noms both through the google form and in the thread, but this makes nomming that much more tedious.

On the other hand, there's the old way, which also has its charms: users post their nominations in thread. This seems to be better for user engagement since it creates a situation where users discuss their nominations (especially if additionally nths, anti-noms, etc return to consideration, even if just informally) and the thread is continually active and regularly bumped. But casually posted scummies noms are much harder to organize and track, resulting in additional burden to scummies committee members. Furthermore, as unformatted posts, nominators often exclude or otherwise fail to put much work into their nominations, putting more of the load on judges to interpret the underlying body of information justifying a nomination. That's why the nomination form exists in the first place.

Here's where I come in. With a simple script, implemented for easy use on a (free) Google Cloud server much like my personality profiler thing here: viewtopic.php?p=10236529#p10236529 , we can have our cake and eat it, too. We can choose between one of three options:

- Users submit nominations in thread by completing a form copied from a bbcode template (much like how the replacements thread works: viewtopic.php?p=8911690#p8911690 ), and once the script is run, the committee will have a spreadsheet organizing all the noms in the thread
- Users submit nominations through the extant form, and when the script is run (on a regular basis? - it actually sounds tedious now that i think of it), the Scummies account or something else makes formatted posts to the nomination thread updating readers about the noms and their content
- Users complete a form hosted in a colab notebook like the personality profiler app is. As soon as they submit their form, the app simultaneously makes a post in their name to the nomination thread with nomination details communicated with perfect formatting and updates the committee spreadsheet.

I'm thinking we go for the first option, and maybe give users the option to do #3 when they'd rather do their nomination through a form instead of by handling a bbcode template. If so, I'd like you guys' help deciding on the template for each award category.

I can go for something simple like:

Code: Select all

[b]Award[/b]: Best Mafia Catcher (Paragon)
[b]Nominee Username[/b]: 
[b]Relevant known alts (one username per line)[/b]: 
[b]List 1-3 game urls providing the best insight into nominee's play (one url per line)[/b]: 
[b]Why scummer deserves award[/b]: 

where i just copy the fields from the current form, adding formatting instructions where necessary,
but we have the opportunity to do something with more pizzazz
should we?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”