Markdown Support

This forum is for ideas for the layout of the site and forums, both appearance and content.
ConnorJC
Goon

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Yeah, I help with the site, so I know this would probably take some effort to implement, but I think we should consider some type of support for markdown. BBcode is clunky and annoying to use, while markdown is (in my opinion) easier and faster to learn/use.

I'm posting this here to record my idea so I don't forget it and gauge if the community would be interested or if it's just me who likes markdown.
Want to help with site development? PM Kison
Want to test new features? https://forum.staging.mafiascum.net (Probably still want to PM Kison)

ConnorJC
Goon

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Side note: This would likely be implemented as a user option that will convert posts from markdown to BBcode.
Want to test new features? https://forum.staging.mafiascum.net (Probably still want to PM Kison)

Plotinus
Wise Words

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:49 pm

The main things I'd miss if we swtiched to markdown are: tables, area tags, vote tags, mech tags, and colours.

Plotinus
Wise Words

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:56 pm

I agree that markdown is fairly intuitive and easy to use but I think a hybrid markdown-bbcode system would be fairly ugly. I think if we could think of a way to incorporate these extra tags that would be cool, but I'm having trouble thinking of how to implement a table or an area tag

ConnorJC
Goon

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 pm

For some stuff we could use something like MultiMarkdown.
(It's similar to what Reddit uses, adds tables and whatnot).

Plotinus
Wise Words

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm

The table syntax feels really arcane but I suppose the bbcode version is arcane too; I'm just used to it. I'm probably not a good example of an Average User though; I find markdown hard to use because it's too different from html. An average user who doesn't know html would find markdown easier for sure.

One problem I've had when using markdown elsewhere, is I have a lot of trouble remembering which way around things go: If I'm linking an image do i put the url first or the image description first, if I'm linking a site do i put the url first or the text link first? I have to look it up every single time and I can't seem to get used to it no matter what I do.

ConnorJC
Goon

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:32 pm

In post 5, Plotinus wrote:The table syntax feels really arcane but I suppose the bbcode version is arcane too; I'm just used to it. I'm probably not a good example of an Average User though; I find markdown hard to use because it's too different from html. An average user who doesn't know html would find markdown easier for sure.

One problem I've had when using markdown elsewhere, is I have a lot of trouble remembering which way around things go: If I'm linking an image do i put the url first or the image description first, if I'm linking a site do i put the url first or the text link first? I have to look it up every single time and I can't seem to get used to it no matter what I do.

It's always text first and url second like this: [Text](URL).

I don't know, it always kinda made sense to me that way, but I can see how people might forget it.

[ + ]

Return to Site Ideas