Combat Discussion

Amstaad
was
IS an attempt at a site-written and site-run RPG that started back in the early days of the site.
It is currently being resurrected - inquire within if you want to help or play!
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Combat Discussion

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Post by DeathNote »

Please explain how you envision the combat of Amstaad to go and how the rules would be better suited to be balanced and effective.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

Roll a 6 sided die
Hit stuff
Roll again
Hit moar stuff

Somthin like that.

Srsly like 4 is a default threshhold. You hit 4, you hit for the weapon combat value alone. 5? Weapon value +1. 6? +2.

And the modifiers on your skills effect this. You have a -1 in swords? The threshhold for a sword is 5 now. +1 skill? Threshholds 3.

Oh and anything below threshhold is a miss.

There.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
inspiratieloos
inspiratieloos
Goon
inspiratieloos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:26 am

Post by inspiratieloos »

I'm pretty sure kcda doesn't really know how this works...

In post 2, inspiratieloos wrote:
Range vs. melee combat:
Ranger has a 'out of melee range CMoS', the ranger fires/casts at the opponent's 'health' while the opponent is moving in closer.
CMoS 0 -> steps closer
CMoS 1 -> Cover (ranger -1 next attack roll)
CMoS 2-4 -> Out of effective range (Ranger -1 all attacks)
CMoS 5-6 -> Almost there (Ranger -2 all attacks)
CMoS 7+ -> Melee range (Ranger can't use ranged attack, if no other weapon, an arrow counts as a extremely bad knife)

Melee character counts as defending against all ranger attacks, ranger is at -3 for movement rolls as long as he's firing. Ranger does not gain anything for winning movement rolls. Roll for movement is athletics or similar. Ranger can not get back out of melee range except by fleeing (however that works).

I went for maximum realism and balance here maybe at a (too high) cost of simplicity.

On movement step: Since you always only roll 1 skill in a check you can't take advantage of a higher skill in whatever you have (acrobatics, athletics, agility, running etc.) if you'd have just combat. It makes more sense to have an exchange and then reposition, so the faster/more agile character can actually take advantage of that fact.

A melee character having to move first to get close to a ranger just makes sense.

Return to “Amstaad, City of Fate”