Tor compatibility with MS

Obsolete, fixed, and incorrect bug requests and problems. Browse here before posting a new topic, to avoid duplicates.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Tor compatibility with MS

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

Sometimes I use the Tor browser and just now it said that my IP (which is a spoof of course) was permanently banned. I changed identities and it worked just fine.

I have also noted that it sometimes logs me out for no reason while using tor...

Should I stop using Tor with MS? Or is it ok?
after a wank.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

It's not advised. If you EVER do something questionable regarding identities, it will cast you in a bad light.
Retired as of October 2014.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:25 am

Post by CooLDoG »

You mean like avoiding a ban or inning the same game with alt accounts? I don't use tor to "cheat" websites.
after a wank.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:36 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Exactly. If you're using it to get around a school filter or something, mostly we don't care.
Retired as of October 2014.
noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:35 am

Post by noraaa »

Yeah I tried to use it yesterday to see if I had *any* browsers MS would load on and got the same permanently banned IP message.

Honestly it makes sense that ms wouldn't want us being any more anon than the alts we find running around already are.. anonymity on a site like this isn't really useful.
Engineers accepted the word “planetary” in its epicyclic sense, but I was always conscious that it also meant “wandering,” “erratic.”

Compassion, Common Sense, and Context should always go together.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:07 am

Post by CooLDoG »

In post 4, noraaa wrote:Yeah I tried to use it yesterday to see if I had *any* browsers MS would load on and got the same permanently banned IP message.

Honestly it makes sense that ms wouldn't want us being any more anon than the alts we find running around already are.. anonymity on a site like this isn't really useful.

That is because the "spoof" IPs were used before or are blacklisted due to spam. Just click change identity and it should work.
after a wank.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:40 am

Post by Quilford »

Oh man, this totally gave me a heart attack.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 am

Post by CooLDoG »

Says the Tor user :wink:

Tor is a great program. I carry it around on my USB flash drive everywhere I go. Most of the times I access MS with TOR is when I am somewhere other than home.
after a wank.
noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:22 am

Post by noraaa »

How does that work? I've considered the "need" to use Tor at the school library (that I'm signed into.. should I not use it?) but I don't understand how something installed on a drive could be used on the computer unless you install it there too, temporarily.
Engineers accepted the word “planetary” in its epicyclic sense, but I was always conscious that it also meant “wandering,” “erratic.”

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:26 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 8, noraaa wrote:How does that work? I've considered the "need" to use Tor at the school library (that I'm signed into.. should I not use it?) but I don't understand how something installed on a drive could be used on the computer unless you install it there too, temporarily.

Same reason that you can put a word document on it and have it open on the computer.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

I don't know too much about this area of computers... but here goes anyway:

Basically the software is compatible with a bunch different hardware architectures out of the box. No need for specifics to be installed. Also all of the .dll files that it uses are probably packed with it. As well as no registry keys that need to be added.
Again, I'm probably wrong about how it works. Not my area of expertise.

Suffice to say that Tor works. I give you 100% probability that it will because I have used it on multiple computers with different OSs and hardware.

You will need to be allowed to run .exe files, however most likely you will have those privileges, seeing as you can run Firefox... Won't run on a mac or linux distro (unless you also have those installed to a key) for obvious reasons. I think even on the Tor website it says it will work off of a key. Worst that could happen is that it won't work (it will), so you might as well try.

http://portableapps.com/apps
A good site for other portable apps.
after a wank.
noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Post by noraaa »

In post 9, animorpherv1 wrote:
In post 8, noraaa wrote:How does that work? I've considered the "need" to use Tor at the school library (that I'm signed into.. should I not use it?) but I don't understand how something installed on a drive could be used on the computer unless you install it there too, temporarily.

Same reason that you can put a word document on it and have it open on the computer.

Not if that computer doesn't have word on it already, you can't. Exceptions being word-LIKE programs that read docx files.

noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Post by noraaa »

Cool thanks, CD.

quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Post by quadz08 »

noraaa, when you plug a flash drive into your system, it functions similarly to the hard drive built-in. Any programs that are installed on that drive would simply run from the flash drive, rather than from the main hard drive.

(That's my understanding of things; I've never studied it terribly in-depth or anything.)
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Post by noraaa »

oooh that makes sense.

UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Post by UberNinja »

In post 13, quadz08 wrote:noraaa, when you plug a flash drive into your system, it functions similarly to the hard drive built-in. Any programs that are installed on that drive would simply run from the flash drive, rather than from the main hard drive.

(That's my understanding of things; I've never studied it terribly in-depth or anything.)

No, you're right. As long as you've installed it (or copied an installation perfectly) to the flash drive, that's how it works.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:14 am

Post by CooLDoG »

Right now I'm posting from tor off of my flash drive.

This doesn't work with all software though. It has been sort of hit and miss for me (mostly hit).
after a wank.

Return to “Solved Requests”