can you even get name changes on this hell site

Post here if you have a problem with your account.
Parama
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: November 22, 2009

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 11:10 am

I don't even play mafia anymore tbh I just want a name change but creating a new account sounds annoying too

help me out gamers
Show

vonflare
doot
 
User avatar
Joined: January 01, 2014
Location: The divine realm of the round table, Camelot
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Creating an alt is pretty easy

I can walk you through it if you want
weeeeeee

Parama
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: November 22, 2009

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 12:21 pm

I don't want to create an alt
I already have like 5 anyways lol I don't even remember them all
Show

inte
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2011
Location: C-bus

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 1:24 pm

u shoudl change ur name to Parmesan
Show

Parama
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: November 22, 2009

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 1:44 pm

You should change your name to Banned
Show

Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
 
User avatar
Joined: September 01, 2003
Location: Âu Lạc

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 1:51 pm

what do you want to change your name to?

Psyche
mr. personality
 
User avatar
Joined: April 28, 2011
Location: pacing the road to damascus
Pronoun: He

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 3:01 pm

boy i hope it's a word with three syllables and the letter p
sufjan's gonna write a song about me

inte
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2011
Location: C-bus

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 5:13 pm

why did i get bullied
Show

Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
 
User avatar
Joined: February 05, 2014
Location: Whitney's Gym
Pronoun: He

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 4:22 am

In post 7, inte wrote:why did i get bullied


He's just not that inte you

Annadog40
Waiting in the Sky
 
User avatar
Joined: May 02, 2015
Location: Drowning ahhhhh
Pronoun: She

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 pm

In post 0, Parama wrote:I don't even play mafia anymore tbh I just want a name change but creating a new account sounds annoying too

help me out gamers

You cant, it is butts. I tried but no good.
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.

Why is the end of the day the beginning of the next?

Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: April 05, 2009
Location: Tejas
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 am

Moved to Help forum.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Parama
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: November 22, 2009

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 12:43 pm

The question stands, anyways
I don't buy that it's nearly as difficult as the mod team would have me believe it is. PhpBB should support it out of the box

The only other concern I can see is if I was in any ongoing games, which I am not
Show

Annadog40
Waiting in the Sky
 
User avatar
Joined: May 02, 2015
Location: Drowning ahhhhh
Pronoun: She

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 1:43 pm

They are capable of changing names.
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.

Why is the end of the day the beginning of the next?

Creature
Of Habit
 
User avatar
Joined: January 26, 2016
Location: Lands of Fire
Pronoun: He

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 5:25 pm

can't wait for Panama
Every man has the right to be an idiot and you are abusing the privilege

Parama
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: November 22, 2009

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Yeah but I spoke with UT and he was against it, for ??? reasons, hasn't really been justified imo and I haven't gotten a response back either

I haven't heard a good reason why the mods/admins don't want to do it, obviously it's technically possible no problem, just
Show

Creature
Of Habit
 
User avatar
Joined: January 26, 2016
Location: Lands of Fire
Pronoun: He

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 5:32 pm

I had one other forums that would usually title someone "Formerly: [old name]" for about six months or so.
Every man has the right to be an idiot and you are abusing the privilege

Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
 
User avatar
Joined: September 01, 2003
Location: Âu Lạc

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 12:21 am

In post 14, Parama wrote:Yeah but I spoke with UT and he was against it, for ??? reasons, hasn't really been justified imo and I haven't gotten a response back either

I haven't heard a good reason why the mods/admins don't want to do it, obviously it's technically possible no problem, just

I was trying to think of a way to say "basically I don't care really but zoraster was opposed to it when I talked to him" but since you're gonna come out here and act like I'm the bad guy there you go. I gave you the biggest reason for why the administration doesn't do name changes, but you've chosen to handwave that away because it doesn't suit you.

oh and also I told you to contact zor if you wanted to go further up the org chart, but you seem to have elected to leave that part of the conversation out for some reason. can't imagine why that would be.

Parama
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: November 22, 2009

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Untrod Tripod wrote:That's not something we'd be willing to do. The name change would be an issue with references and quotes. As a matter of policy we generally do not change names for this reason (I can only think of one example of when we have)

If you want to take it up to zoraster you can, but he'll tell you the same thing.

Untrod Tripod wrote:If it was a really tiny change then it's something we could maybe do.

When I say references I mean that names in quotes won't be the new name, which is obviously bad and confusing.

you literally told me taking it up with him would be pointless. why would i follow up with him after that

the only justification you've given is "but reference and quotes"!! which i don't see as strong justification for the reason i've already stated above. the only reason you say it's bad is "lol it's obviously bad"

which... isn't justification, my dude

paint me out to be the bad guy all you want but you responded in my thread acting like you'd be willing to do it then told me "lol nvm we won't do it because <vague reason>"

like i see the point if it impacted ongoing games.

which it doesn't. i haven't been on any games on this site in at least a year.

so any flimsy justification based on that is straight out the window
Show

Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
 
User avatar
Joined: September 01, 2003
Location: Âu Lạc

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 2:58 pm

I talked to zor about it and I passed on what he told me. If you want to discuss it further with him about it, then go for it. I don't really feel strongly about the issue so I have a hard time coming up with an argument for it, hence why I don't have a lot in the way of justification for you.

Psyche
mr. personality
 
User avatar
Joined: April 28, 2011
Location: pacing the road to damascus
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 3:25 pm

I think it'd make it harder to read old games if people's usernames changed a lot
sufjan's gonna write a song about me

PenguinPower
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 15, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 3:44 pm

In post 17, Parama wrote:which i don't see as strong justification for the reason i've already stated above.


You may see it as a weak or flimsy justification, but that's the stance that the site administration has taken with regard to username changes and arguing it here is unlikely to change that. If you feel strongly about it you should contact zoraster directly.
<(") | (")>

Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
 
User avatar
Joined: February 05, 2014
Location: Whitney's Gym
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 4:16 pm

It’s not like your username is BillCosbyFan73838484

zoraster
Consigliere
 
User avatar
Joined: June 10, 2008
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 5:28 pm

The policy has been (predating me) that we generally don't allow name changes because it messes with the history of the site. In some respects, this may be exactly the reason you likely want your name changed rather than taking the avenue easily available by creating a new alt. You want to keep your post history and so forth. But if Parama becomes ElrondHubbard, that becomes very confusing to anyone who goes back and sees Parama referenced. For better or worse, this is a mafia site where people dig through old games and posts quite a bit more than your usual forum.

We allow alts to become mains and join any part of the site. So if you want to become ElrondHubbard, create and alt and ask a mod to change your name to the main.

This isn't necessarily a policy I'm super attached to or anything, but I've yet to see a very compelling reason to deviate from it either. We have changed names on an individual basis when there's been a particular reason to that individual (and also sometimes for new players).

Xtoxm
EBWOXM
 
User avatar
Joined: November 30, 2007
Pronoun: He

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 5:46 pm

In post 19, Psyche wrote:I think it'd make it harder to read old games if people's usernames changed a lot

i think this is a pretty strong justification tbh
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm if you've pocketed me again my heart will turn to ash. - CheekyTeeky
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin


[ + ]

Return to Help!