ScumChamps 2022 is over!

This forum is for playing games of Chess.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:55 am

Post by Umlaut »

Given his inability to participate as a player, Menalque has kindly agreed to take over the hosting of the tournament from me this year, allowing me to

/in
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (isolation #1) » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:22 am

Post by Umlaut »

In post 10, Something_Smart wrote:I need to get back into thinky chess instead of just playing stupid gambits in online blitz. This seems like a good way.
What's your favorite stupid gambit? Mine is when other people play the Stafford and then are completely unprepared to actually play a game of chess after I dodge all the cheese they throw at me.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (isolation #2) » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:12 pm

Post by Umlaut »

and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (isolation #3) » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:57 am

Post by Umlaut »

I think he's asking about the chess tags. You just use the word "chess" as a bbcode tag and enter the move list inside. E.g.

Code: Select all

[chess]1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3[/chess]

would render as

and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (isolation #4) » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:22 am

Post by Umlaut »

Datisi vs. Umlaut ended 0-1 by timeout.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (isolation #5) » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:24 am

Post by Umlaut »

In post 25, Gypyx wrote:and in case of a typo, that's not allowed either? (granted i'd assume peoples check their moves, but you never know)
While I am not in charge here, I would guess that if the typo is a legal move it has to stand, and if not then it doesn't count at all (meaning you haven't made a move yet)
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (isolation #6) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:32 am

Post by Umlaut »

In post 31, Menalque wrote:I'm going to check in with Datisi and bugspray before I start any new games for them to check that they both intend to continue playing, given that they both lost all their games so far on timeouts. If either is dropping out, their remaining games will be cancelled and no points awarded for those matchups.
I'd suggest either awarding the point to whoever is on the other side of those matchups (provided they don't also drop out), or else not awarding points to the players against whom Datisi and bugspray timed out. I personally would feel kind of awkward about "winning" just because I had more opportunities to gain points than someone who got fewer games to play.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (isolation #7) » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:30 pm

Post by Umlaut »

The rules as currently written, somewhat paraphrased, say:
  • If your opponent has already made a move, but did so after their time had run out, you may claim a win/draw on time
    or
    you may make a move yourself. Once you've accepted the move by answering it, you can't later say "Actually I won on time ten moves ago." In this case, the director (Menalque) should not claim on your behalf, but should instead let you decide to accept the move or not.
  • If your opponent has
    not
    yet made a move (and their time is up), you may at any point claim a win/draw on time. In addition, if the director notices, he may make the claim on your behalf. (Presumably he may use some discretion in doing this, if he has reason to think you'd like to wait a bit longer; but he will definitely end it eventually.)
Menalque can amend these rules if he likes; I don't want to suggest I have any special say in how this is run, I just know the current rules-as-written pretty well since I'm the writer, so thought I might clarify.

I suppose these rules don't cover the edge case where someone might deliver checkmate/stalemate after their time has expired, ending the game before their opponent can decide whether to claim. That seems... pretty wildly unlikely to ever happen in this format, and if it does then that's why we have a human arbiter to decide how to handle it. I think typical OTB tournament rules would have it that the mate stands, but I don't think that's any better or worse in principle than allowing the claim.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (isolation #8) » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:24 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Something_Smart vs Umlaut ended 1–0 by resignation.

I don't believe I have any more games to queue for.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (isolation #9) » Sat May 21, 2022 5:17 am

Post by Umlaut »

Umlaut vs. Gypyx ended 1–0 by resignation.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (isolation #10) » Sun May 22, 2022 1:59 pm

Post by Umlaut »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonnebo ... rger_score

Just gonna leave this here in case you need it
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (isolation #11) » Mon May 23, 2022 2:15 am

Post by Umlaut »

and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (isolation #12) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:40 am

Post by Umlaut »

VashtaNeurotic vs. Datisi is listed twice, in "Completed games" and then again in "Cancelled games". Looks like the point was double-counted for that game, so he should actually have been at 3 points and not 4, as both Vashta and S_S said above.

Since it's been over a week now, I'll go ahead and point out that S_S has beaten Vashta in their game, which ends the tournament. Something_Smart is of course the winner, having swept 6-0! Congratulations, S_S!

I'm in second place with a score of 5-1, having lost only to S_S. It was a great game! All the games I got to play to the end were pretty great. Thanks, everyone.

And third place is a three-way tie between everyone who played out their games. VashtaNeurotic, Gypyx, and Mist7676 all scored 3-3. Normally this would mean we go to tiebreak criteria... but in this case the situation is completely symmetrical!
  • All three won by forfeit against bugspray and Datisi.
  • All three lost against me and S_S.
  • Gypyx beat Vashta, Vashta beat Mist, and Mist beat Gypyx.
There is no gameplay-relevant criterion to distinguish these, so the tie stands! Our three third-place winners will have to be content with 1/3 of nothing as their prize, whereas our first- and second-place winners each get the whole nothing to themselves.

Final Scores

PlacePlayerWinsDrawsLossesScoreTiebreak
1Something_Smart600615
2Umlaut501510
3Gypyx30334
3Mist767630334
3VashtaNeurotic30334
6Datisi10510
7bugspray00600

Thanks, everyone, for playing with me, and thanks again to Menalque for running this so I could participate!
Last edited by Umlaut on Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t

Return to “Chess Games”