ScumChamps 2022: Something_Smart vs Umlaut (1-0)

This forum is for playing games of Chess.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:27 am

Post by Something_Smart »

It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:52 am

Post by Umlaut »

I resign.

Forced mate in... what, five moves? (37... Ke8 38. Rb7 and then I can only give spite checks to delay Ra8#)

I wasn't thrilled with my position but thought I was holding it together until 35. Be3. Well played!
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:23 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Here's the final PGN (no annotations, but might add some later).

“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:49 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Stockfish says 33... Nd3?? was the game-losing move, but even had I seen the followup coming it's unlikely I would have found a way to stop it; my best move there was 33... c3! which is a really clever pawn sac that I don't think I ever would have spotted. The point is that playing 34. Be3+ immediately doesn't really work, because I can safely play 34... Kb5 since the white pawn on b4 is no longer defended; while accepting the pawn gives me the tempi I need to make serious threats on your kingside (at which point you would have to either perpetual me or lose material).

Alternately I could have played 33... Ne2 so as to block your bishop with Nd4, but that's not nearly as cool.

Really interesting way for the game to end, you just checkmated me faster than I could you.

Haven't analyzed the rest of the game yet. I'm happy to get your comments since you clearly outplayed me.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:51 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

GG.

I wish I'd saved more of my analysis, I can definitely add some annotations though. There was quite a lot to this game.

The correspondence format is really interesting to me, but dang it's exhausting. I spent quite a while analyzing every move, and you still managed to play lots of moves I didn't think were playable.

I think 33...Nd3 was what finally sunk you, I was expecting Ne2 intending to block my bishop with Nd4, I don't think I had a clear winning line planned after that. I haven't put it into Stockfish yet though, I'm interested what it says.

Pedit: I wrote this before you posted that. I didn't think about c3 at all.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:06 pm

Post by Umlaut »

The immediate 34. Be3+ was in fact the move I anticipated and when I saw it didn't quite work I just assumed I could ignore Be3 as a threat. I already “knew” that Ra6+ wasn't dangerous because it hadn’t been dangerous one move ago. I just failed to consider all of those factors together.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:20 am

Post by Umlaut »

I also think ignoring a4 in favor of my kingside counterplay, with the assumption that if axb6 the double isolated b-pawns were so weak they would easily be stopped, was a mistake on my part. Not a game-losing one, but something that made the game just that much harder for me so that I could make a fatal mistake later.

Other than that the game looks pretty clean to me.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor