Micro 706: Restrictive Mafia (Over)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Post by Nexus »

Votecount 2.3:

Edosurist (1)
- Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia (3)
- Antihuman, Umlaut, TheRealGin-N-Tonic

Not voting (3)
- Socrates, Edosurist, BlackVoid

With 7 alive it takes 4 to lynch. Deadline is Friday 12th May 2017, at 9pm - (expired on 2017-05-12 21:00:00).

Posts Today
Spoiler:
Gamma Emerald3
BlackVoid2
Umlaut4
Not_Mafia3
TheRealGin-N-Tonic3
Edosurist2
Socrates4
Trans rights are human rights.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 am

Post by Socrates »

VOTE: not_mafia
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 6:44 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Edo+Anti/Gin
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 8:10 am

Post by Nexus »

Votecount 2.4:

Edosurist (1)
- Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia (4-LYNCH)
- Antihuman, Umlaut, TheRealGin-N-Tonic, Socrates

Not voting (2)
- Edosurist, BlackVoid

With 7 alive it takes 4 to lynch. Deadline is Friday 12th May 2017, at 9pm - (expired on 2017-05-12 21:00:00).

Posts Today
Spoiler:
Gamma Emerald3
BlackVoid2
Umlaut4
Not_Mafia4
TheRealGin-N-Tonic3
Edosurist2
Socrates5
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 8:12 am

Post by Nexus »

Not_Mafia - Vanilla Townie (12/9/6) - Lynched Day 2

Night 2 now begins. It will end in 48 hours, at 8pm on Sunday 14th May 2017
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sun May 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Post by Nexus »

TheRealGin-N-Tonic - Vanilla Townie (12/9/6) - Killed night 2

With 5 alive it takes 3 to lynch. Deadline is in 7 days, at 6am BST on Monday 22nd May 2017
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon May 15, 2017 4:54 am

Post by Umlaut »

That kill is somewhat surprising; Socrates had floated a case that an N_M town flip would look bad for Gin, so I would have expected him to be kept around as a suspect for today. I was actually a bit suspicious of Socrates based on that case, thinking he might be lining up a day 3 mislynch knowing N_M would flip town, but Gin's death pretty much dispels that suspicion.

(There is room to imagine that a scum!Socrates might decide the Gin case hadn't caught on it was simpler to just push on an easier target, but I don't have any pre-existing scumread on Socrates so I have no reason to think this.)

Now here's an interesting observation: both lynch wagons have had exactly the same set of living players thereon (Antihuman/Gamma, Socrates, and myself). Thus the living players are neatly bisected into two groups: {Gamma Emerald, Socrates, Umlaut} and {BlackVoid, Edosurist}.

The unfortunate thing is that it's hard to know what to do with these groups. ZZZX earned her lynch and so did N_M; in principle I'd have no problem believing these were both all-town mislynches -- though as you'll read below, I don't actually think that's the case.

What I find extremely suspicious is that Gamma Emerald replaced into Antihuman's slot, said N_M was town, and
never moved his vote
or made any serious effort to convince on that point despite having posts available to do so. Wtf? Note that Antihuman himself unambiguously stated d2 that he was actually scumreading N_M when he made that vote; however, Antihuman said d1 that N_M was town. Then in his followup he moved him to null (while simultaneously saying he had nothing new to say about this), and on d2 was the first to vote him.

His position on N_M is all over the map; it's different in every one of his posts. Why? Well, N_M was already looking like the most likely lynch by the time Antihuman made his first post. I can imagine scum feeling they have more to gain by opposing that lynch than by supporting it, given that it was going to hit town. And I can also imagine scum noticing they've gotten criticism for the townread, modulating it a bit, then voting him after that quickhammer when they feel no one can possibly blame them for it.

On additional inspection, Antihuman never really did any meaningful scumhunting in his time here. Take a look at his reads in .
  • Gin is somewhat town
  • Edosurist is null
  • N_M is null
  • I'm slightly town
  • Smiggles is town
  • Socrates is town
  • ZZZX is null
  • Lycan is null
There is not a single scumread in this list. It's like a weak, wishy-washy version of the consensus read of the game at the time the list was made. Antihuman townreads the people everyone townreads, and nullreads the people that not everyone townreads. His actual vote is for ZZZX, and he can't give a better explanation than "I feel like this is the best place for my vote for now." Not even the best person
to lynch,
but the best place
for his vote.

Likewise Gamma came in, said "N_M is town" without making any serious effort to dissuade his lynch and while in fact
continuing to vote for him,
and never gave any reads on anyone else.

Let me say that one more time. Gamma Emerald contributed to a lynch of
the only player he explicitly townread.

So, let's suppose Gamma is scum. Who would his partner be? Well, I know it's not me; and his critique in of "the people making excuses to vote [Not_Mafia] based on policy or whatever," along with Antihuman's own statement in that Lycanfire's death "could mean there's scum between widely townread players, in which case my gut says Socrates," should tell you that it's not Socrates either. This leaves BlackVoid or Edosurist, which is in keeping with the intuition that most mislynch wagons will contain some but not all of the scum.

Dr. Smiggles had Antihuman among her scumreads, along with Edosurist (whom she voted).
In post 28, Prof Hamm T Smiggles III wrote:I think the TR on NM was a reach and Anti's answer to why NM's behavior is towny isn't convincing. NM's play here is anti-town. That doesn't mean he's scum. But to TR him for it like scum!NM couldn't or wouldn't play like this is a huge stretch. That's why I asked if Anti had played with NM and to explain this further and I'm not enthused by the response.

So Edo says there is a 25% chance of NM being scum, but Edo thinks he is hiding behind his meta (ie scum). Which is it? Is he 25% scum or you think he's scum? I don't see how those two statements work together. Also Edo thinks NM is scum because if he was town more scum would be pushing his mislynch. I doubt scum would be hard-pushing a mislynch on town!NM this early, and I'd like to know why you think this would be the case.

Edo's next scumread is ZZZX. But again, his reason is superficial. Edo's game does not show much thought about the motivations behind people's play and looks like scum unable to fabricate convincing scum-reads.
BlackVoid's own reads were all based on the assumption N_M was scum, which I'm a bit paranoid of as it would be a good excuse to throw them all away the next day. At any rate it's hard to take much from this as far as associatives are concerned.

Edosurist never really committed to a read on Antihuman:
In post 16, Edosurist wrote:His post reads genuine to me. I just wish he'd at least acknowledge that NM's posts were anti-town. There's not a whole lot to say here other than I'm looking forward to more from him in his next post.
...and never said anything about Gamma, except to promise to respond to his post and then not do it.

Now, is there any independent reason to think Edosurist is scum? Well, Smiggles thought so. So did Lycanfire, who was shot night 1. He got a lot of heat early on for having shallow, superficial reads, but everyone sort of moved on to other things (and rightly so; ZZZX kind of deserved that rope even if he didn't deserve it quite that quickly).

Add to this that I was already townreading both Socrates and Smiggles, and the solution is clear to me.

I believe the scumteam consists of Gamma Emerald and Edosurist.

...which doesn't necessarily mean we should lynch one of them just yet, because it's possible I'm wrong about one of them and we should decide which one I'm more likely to be wrong about. I think I'm more likely wrong about Edosurist, but we have some room for discussion. This is why, once again, I'm asking people to
please critique this case.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Oh fuck this.

VOTE: Gamma Emerald

Not apologizing if I'm wrong, you all had time to say something.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 1:03 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Forgot about this
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 10:07 am

Post by BlackVoid »

I'm pretty annoyed with Not_Mafia. I actually can't believe he'd ruin a game on purpose but it sort of makes sense with the number of people who had scumreads conditional on Not_Mafia's townflip. I think given that Not_Mafia was a free lynch, I think at least one if not both mafia would be either against it or use it to setup townies.

Gamma Emerald is my top suspect for his play around the end of D2. He called Not_Mafia town but kept his vote on him and framed the discussion to set himself up to push on whoever pushed Not_Mafia based on policy-esque reasons. I also think Antihuman's early townread on Not_Mafia was weird. When others acknowledge that Not_Mafia was scum or at least anti-town, Antihuman goes so far as to outright read him as town based on really specious reasoning.

I also thought the Not_Mafia lynch was actually pro-town. If we had lynched someone else D2 and been wrong, the suspicion surrounding Not_Mafia means it's really unlikely he doesn't get lynched in lylo either at 5P or 3P and it would have handed scum the game. This way at least, we can work with the information that he was town and look to see who had an informed perspective.

I was slightly paranoid of Umlaut for playing so reasonably and making in-depth and detailed cases when that's not his town meta but his case on Gamma Emerald touches on stuff that I was thinking pretty much exactly so I'm happy to lynch obv-scum Gamma today and worry about who his partner is tomorrow. Gamma's post just seals the deal for me and sounds like scum that gave up.

Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 10:08 am

Post by Socrates »

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 10:08 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

SHIT
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 10:09 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

IMO this game type is EXTREMELY scumsided. Scum can steer the limited conversation and if Town doesn't catch on they are completely fucked.
<Embrace The Void>

Edosurist
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 10:25 am

Post by Edosurist »

Sorry I suck and hardly contributed.

I don't think it's scumsided. We just got screwed over by NM.
Spoiler: What I was working on just now
In post 72, BlackVoid wrote:@Edosurist (in response to your post 70): Why would Umlaut be a strong scumread of yours in the event of an N_M townflip? Not sure I follow the logic. Mind elaborating?
In post 81, Umlaut wrote:Now here's an interesting observation: both lynch wagons have had exactly the same set of living players thereon (Antihuman/Gamma, Socrates, and myself). Thus the living players are neatly bisected into two groups: {Gamma Emerald, Socrates, Umlaut} and {BlackVoid, Edosurist}.
FWIW, I was gonna vote NM before someone ninja'd me. BV also read NM as scum. That being said, I generally agree that this style of VCA is good for POE. With the amount of folks that were going to lynch NM yesterday, scum didn't need to pile onto that wagon, but at the same time, plenty of people were ready to vote NM if necessary.
What I find extremely suspicious is that Gamma Emerald replaced into Antihuman's slot, said N_M was town, and
never moved his vote
or made any serious effort to convince on that point despite having posts available to do so. Wtf?

~snip~

Likewise Gamma came in, said "N_M is town" without making any serious effort to dissuade his lynch and while in fact
continuing to vote for him,
and never gave any reads on anyone else.

Let me say that one more time. Gamma Emerald contributed to a lynch of
the only player he explicitly townread.
I didn't notice this. That's pretty bad actually. I don't see a reason why scum would intentionally do that though considering NM was almost definitely going to be lynched.
Note that Antihuman himself unambiguously stated d2 that he was actually scumreading N_M when he made that vote; however, Antihuman said d1 that N_M was town. Then in his followup he moved him to null (while simultaneously saying he had nothing new to say about this), and on d2 was the first to vote him.

His position on N_M is all over the map; it's different in every one of his posts. Why? Well, N_M was already looking like the most likely lynch by the time Antihuman made his first post. I can imagine scum feeling they have more to gain by opposing that lynch than by supporting it, given that it was going to hit town. And I can also imagine scum noticing they've gotten criticism for the townread, modulating it a bit, then voting him after that quickhammer when they feel no one can possibly blame them for it.

On additional inspection, Antihuman never really did any meaningful scumhunting in his time here. Take a look at his reads in .
  • Gin is somewhat town
  • Edosurist is null
  • N_M is null
  • I'm slightly town
  • Smiggles is town
  • Socrates is town
  • ZZZX is null
  • Lycan is null
There is not a single scumread in this list. It's like a weak, wishy-washy version of the consensus read of the game at the time the list was made. Antihuman townreads the people everyone townreads, and nullreads the people that not everyone townreads. His actual vote is for ZZZX, and he can't give a better explanation than "I feel like this is the best place for my vote for now." Not even the best person
to lynch,
but the best place
for his vote.

So, let's suppose Gamma is scum. Who would his partner be? Well, I know it's not me; and his critique in of "the people making excuses to vote [Not_Mafia] based on policy or whatever," along with Antihuman's own statement in that Lycanfire's death "could mean there's scum between widely townread players, in which case my gut says Socrates," should tell you that it's not Socrates either. This leaves BlackVoid or Edosurist, which is in keeping with the intuition that most mislynch wagons will contain some but not all of the scum.

Dr. Smiggles had Antihuman among her scumreads, along with Edosurist (whom she voted).
In post 28, Prof Hamm T Smiggles III wrote:I think the TR on NM was a reach and Anti's answer to why NM's behavior is towny isn't convincing. NM's play here is anti-town. That doesn't mean he's scum. But to TR him for it like scum!NM couldn't or wouldn't play like this is a huge stretch. That's why I asked if Anti had played with NM and to explain this further and I'm not enthused by the response.

So Edo says there is a 25% chance of NM being scum, but Edo thinks he is hiding behind his meta (ie scum). Which is it? Is he 25% scum or you think he's scum? I don't see how those two statements work together. Also Edo thinks NM is scum because if he was town more scum would be pushing his mislynch. I doubt scum would be hard-pushing a mislynch on town!NM this early, and I'd like to know why you think this would be the case.

Edo's next scumread is ZZZX. But again, his reason is superficial. Edo's game does not show much thought about the motivations behind people's play and looks like scum unable to fabricate convincing scum-reads.
BlackVoid's own reads were all based on the assumption N_M was scum, which I'm a bit paranoid of as it would be a good excuse to throw them all away the next day. At any rate it's hard to take much from this as far as associatives are concerned.
I think this is a particularly good point. I feel like that's something I'd do as scum.

@Umlaut - This is what I've said regarding Gamma. Yes, it's not much (we only overlapped one post), but it's something more than the "never said anything" you were referring to.
In post 70, Edosurist wrote:P-Edit:
NM might have a lolhammer meta, but being a prolific poster does not make him town. He just kinda does whatever he wants and he's a regular shitposter, so that alone does not make him town. I say if the underlying motive looks like survivalism, it's best to assume that it was because there's no other good way to read him than by considering the raw motives.
The name's Edosurist. People call me Edos.
I'm back from hiatus (again), so please don't make me leave again (x4) by calling me
Edo
Edoist
(pronounced E-do-ist or e-DOIST? I'm not quite certain), or
Endoperson

Wiki (will eventually get updated) | Looking for a reviewer for a 24-themed (slightly) bastard mini.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Post by Nexus »

Votecount 3.1:

Gamma Emerald (3-LYNCH)
- Umlaut, BlackVoid, Socrates

Not Voting (2)
- Gamma Emerald, Edosurist

With 5 alive it takes 3 to lynch. Deadline is in 7 days, at 6am BST on Monday 22nd May 2017

Gamma Emerald has been lynched. Flip incoming
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Post by Nexus »

Gamma Emerald - Vanilla Townie (8/5/3) - Lynched Day 3
Edosurist - Vanilla Townie (8/5/3) - Endgamed
Umlaut - Vanilla Townie (8/5/3) - Endgamed

Congrats to the winners:

BlackVoid - Mafia Goon (8/5/3) and Socrates - Mafia Goon (12/9/6)

Overall this was not a successful experiment. Mountainous was dumb, giving the mafia day talk was dumb, and the restrictions were too restrictive which meant people were fed up and didn't bother engaging. Thanks for playing though!

Dead
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Also this is my second time being mislynched in LyLo.
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I feel mountainous can work if the numbers are more fair (11:2 for example). I will agree Day chat was a major blunder. It registers as a slap to town's face since it says "hey mafia get unlimited day communication and night communication and you get diddly".
<Embrace The Void>

BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

I actually don't think this was a bad concept, Nexus. On MafiaUniverse, games with 30-40 post per day restrictions are commonly run. But two hours before deadline, the restrictions are lifted and people can post freely.

I think a few modifications would have made it much better:
- Standard balance with roles instead of mountainous.
- Maybe a 30 posts per day restriction instead of 3-12.
- Lifting restrictions 24 hours before deadline. Maybe have a week deadline with 30 posts max in the first six days and the last 24, you can post as much as you want?

Game-wise, I found it a bit more challenging than it should have been just because of how seriously Umlaut and TRGNT were taking this game. 7:2 mountainous with two free mislynches should have been a cakewalk but it required some nominal thought to win.

It's just that everytime I look at a game, it's a spamfest with 100+ pages so I appreciated an analysis heavy game. I'd definitely re-run it with more relaxed restrictions, vet the playerlist, and have a "balanced" game role-wise. Daytalk is actually fun but again, if you gave town a tracker and a doc for instance, that would have evened out.

I don't think I'd have been able to solve this game as town though because there was too little content and I replaced in having Not_Mafia as lock-scum. Still debating whether to count this as a win but I probably might.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu May 18, 2017 12:45 am

Post by Umlaut »

This was scumsided
and
this town deserved to lose even if it weren't.

I'd be interested in playing a game like the one BlackVoid described, but I'd rather it not be 2:7 mountainous. More players helps not just because of the theoretical EV, but because it's more likely someone will have said
something
. Watching days go by without anyone posting was really demoralizing.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu May 18, 2017 3:28 am

Post by Umlaut »

Actually I feel like the restrictive mechanic would be especially nice in a large game, and in fact is probably the only way you could lure me into another large on MS. Micros are easy enough to keep up with anyway, whereas larges are completely out of control and I pretty much just give up on trying to read after the first 72 hours or so.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat May 20, 2017 4:45 am

Post by ZZZX »

In post 95, Umlaut wrote:Actually I feel like the restrictive mechanic would be especially nice in a large game, and in fact is probably the only way you could lure me into another large on MS. Micros are easy enough to keep up with anyway, whereas larges are completely out of control and I pretty much just give up on trying to read after the first 72 hours or so.
yea this could be nteresting in a large with roles.
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733
Edosurist
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat May 20, 2017 10:25 am

Post by Edosurist »

Agreed
The name's Edosurist. People call me Edos.
I'm back from hiatus (again), so please don't make me leave again (x4) by calling me
Edo
Edoist
(pronounced E-do-ist or e-DOIST? I'm not quite certain), or
Endoperson

Wiki (will eventually get updated) | Looking for a reviewer for a 24-themed (slightly) bastard mini.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun May 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Post by Socrates »

This game was likely scumsided from the start, but I would say this game is fine as a demonstrative experiment, which is what it felt like from the beginning: There were players who liked the low post ceiling and it did provoke people to be more thoughtful when they did post, but it necessarily forced the town into a circular lurk fest, because players are incentivized to 1) hang back and let other players speak so they don't miss anything, and 2) put off posting because the pressure to not waste a low-content post was so high.

It's probably worth noting that Umlaut was the only one who ever bumped up against their posting limit.

I'm not sure how representative this actually is, though, because so much of this game ended up revolving around Not_Mafia. I have no idea how this game plays out without their hammer on ZZZX.

I think a good middle ground for designing a more serious game would involve putting a restriction on posting, but make the restriction fairly high. The mere existence of the limit will quell off-topic/spam posting, but not make people afraid to talk seriously without having to measure up to some standard of utilizing a finite resource.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Mon May 22, 2017 12:51 am

Post by nancy »

Caught Void in 1 post tho:
Re: Micro 706: Restrictive Mafia (Day 2)

Sent: 12 May 2017 02:44
To: Nexus
BlackVoid lockscum
:cool:
:2017-2018:
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”