Micro 722: Limited Time Offer! Game Over...already!

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:47 pm

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 448, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 447, Zachstralkita wrote:
RadiantCowbells wrote: It's not because it's you it's because I feel like you're wrong in a lot of the ways that towns on this site are systemically wrong

Probably yeah

Does this circle to how you were saying towns give players passes cause they angry post. I thought that's what this whole slot's read was about.
In post 155, Writers Bloque wrote: Not enough to foster a hard scumread on him right now. But the way he's playing opens him up if he's scum so I'm not really concerned?
I meant what I said about him. Basically if you rely on angry tone you're going to out yourself because there's not enough "fuck"s you can put inside of a post to cover up a faulty push or a stance no matter how convincing you appear
You say this but why do players like myself, Frozen Angel, LLD consistently have some of the best success rates in terms of being townread on site?
I'm not saying it like that's the way it is so your statement isn't true

I'm saying it like that's how it is. It doesn't change that people are very susceptible to emotional plays
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Post by Apricity »

In post 438, RadiantCowbells wrote:Erm. You were MY top townread. Idk what Apricity's read on you was.
I wasn't sure :P Probably lean town at that point.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 450, Zachstralkita wrote:
In post 448, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 447, Zachstralkita wrote:
RadiantCowbells wrote: It's not because it's you it's because I feel like you're wrong in a lot of the ways that towns on this site are systemically wrong

Probably yeah

Does this circle to how you were saying towns give players passes cause they angry post. I thought that's what this whole slot's read was about.
In post 155, Writers Bloque wrote: Not enough to foster a hard scumread on him right now. But the way he's playing opens him up if he's scum so I'm not really concerned?
I meant what I said about him. Basically if you rely on angry tone you're going to out yourself because there's not enough "fuck"s you can put inside of a post to cover up a faulty push or a stance no matter how convincing you appear
You say this but why do players like myself, Frozen Angel, LLD consistently have some of the best success rates in terms of being townread on site?
I'm not saying it like that's the way it is so your statement isn't true

I'm saying it like that's how it is. It doesn't change that people are very susceptible to emotional plays
I just feel like people are consistently unable to actually read angry plays and they assume town because they can't read them.
I mean I read through the neighbourhoods and I got called annoying a few times because I was really sure that Jason was scum because they did scummy shit and I'd like to help everyone learn better!
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
beeboy
beeboy
Survivor
beeboy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Post by beeboy »

RC/Apricity essentially won town this game.
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia
beeboy
beeboy
Survivor
beeboy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Post by beeboy »

Along with SS's cop on ircher that may have changed the game.
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 436, Sobolev Space wrote:Damn glad I had the guilty because everyone started scumreading me over night.

Ari if you're going to rerun the setup I have a suggestion about how to randomize the neighbors to avoid the kind of stuff we saw this time. Its a little mathy though. I don't think you should exclude mafia from being neighbors or else a scum flip clears two people.
I'm in! Hit me up with yo maths!
Also, I agree on the scum with scum possibility being necessary, thus it's inclusion!
In post 439, MarioManiac4 wrote:I think this game needs shorter deadlines at the Night. Day neighbouring would be helpful, as well.

Also why did most ppl think I would hardbus lmao
Totally With You! :)
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Sobolev Space
Sobolev Space
Mafia Scum
Sobolev Space
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Post by Sobolev Space »

In post 455, Aristophanes wrote:I'm in! Hit me up with yo maths!
Also, I agree on the scum with scum possibility being necessary, thus it's inclusion!
The idea is that you first randomize an order for the player list (for example, first pick a random number from 1 to 9 and use that to choose the first player, then from 1 to 8 to choose the next player (excluding the player already chosen) etc.) until you get some random list like:
MM4
Ircher
Treble
WB
SS
Gamma
Edos
beeboy
ZZZX
Then you assign neighborhoods by making everybody's neighbor the person below them on the list (and the neighbor of the last person is the first person). So in this example you would get neighborhoods {MM4, Ircher}, {Ircher, Treble}, {Treble, WB}, {WB, SS}, {SS, Gamma}, {Gamma, Edos}, {Edos, beeboy}, {beeboy, ZZZX}, and {ZZZX, MM4}. The advantages of doing it this way are (i) you're guaranteed you won't get a situation like this game where two hoods are composed of the exact same people and (ii) the hoods are completely connected at nights (i.e. if I tell one of my neighbors something and tell them to pass it on, it will eventually get back to me and everybody in the playerlist will know it).

Spoiler: Mathy stuff
Basically the assignment of neighborhoods can be viewed as a permutation of the playerlist - that is a function that maps each player to another player such that every player is mapped uniquely - under the function that maps a player to the person who is in their neighborhood (like I would be mapped to Mario in this game). Now all permutations are composed of cycles - an n-cycle basically means that starting at one person we have to go through n different people to get back to the original person. For example, in this game we had a 7-cycle (I neighbored mario neighbored edos neighbored treble neighbored ZZZX neighbored Ircher neighbored Gamma neighbored me) and a 2-cycle (beeboy neighbored WB neighbored beeboy). Since there are 9 players in the playerlist all the n's in the cycles have to add up to 9. If there was no talk in the main thread (during N0 for example) we can only interact with people in the same cycle as us by passing info through our neighborhoods. So for example during pregame there were two closed systems of information {beeboy, WB} and {me, MM4, Edos, Treble, ZZZX, Ircher, Gamma}.
Now there are conditions you can put on the permutation you chose. For example, you made it so that nobody could be neighbors with themselves which is equivalent to there being no 1-cycles in the permutation (these kinds of permutations are called derangements). If you wanted to get rid of situations like the {beeboy, WB} one we had here you could add the condition that there are no 2-cycles in the permutation. If you think its valuable (like I do) to put everyone in the same informational "loop" then the condition you want is that the permutation is just one big 9-cycle.
So how do we achieve this? Well you could just keep rerolling until you get this, but this might take a while (in an n player game only 1/n of the possible neighborhood assignments will have everybody in the same cycle). So the easiest way is to just do what I suggested above: randomize the player list and have everyone be neighbors with the people next to them. This guarantees that everybody is connected by just going down the list!

Hope this explanation made some sense.

If you decide to run another game like this let me know!
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by Apricity »

That bit of graph theory made me happy :D
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:28 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I think giving scum a PT in the system than a standard one is bad: they have to monitor themselves or not recruit, and the first is just bad design while the second can raise some questions. I'd prefer either the Novice modifier or the N0 recruit.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:59 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

In post 441, Gamma Emerald wrote:What
How did the beeboy kill make me suspect, Mario?
you were a recent replacement
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:04 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

So?
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:06 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

a player who wasn't wouldn't have killed beeboy, therefore {gamma, ircher}
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:14 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Why wouldn't a recent replacement kill beeboy tho
<Embrace The Void>

Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:15 am

Post by Ircher »

The beeboy kill was a wifom kill -- i killed one of th players I scumread the most to try to avoid getting associated with the nk.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:17 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

In post 462, Gamma Emerald wrote:Why wouldn't a recent replacement kill beeboy tho
Assuming you meant would: because they thought he was the strongest town player and therefore the best elimination (was my reasoning)

pedit: ok that works too \o/ not like this really matters
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I think the lurker buddy thing is logical though. That wagon on ZZZX was weirdly easy in the end.
<Embrace The Void>

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:37 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 456, Sobolev Space wrote:
In post 455, Aristophanes wrote:I'm in! Hit me up with yo maths!
The idea is that you first randomize an order for the player list (for example, first pick a random number from 1 to 9 and use that to choose the first player, then from 1 to 8 to choose the next player (excluding the player already chosen) etc.) until you get some random list like:
MM4
Ircher
Treble
WB
SS
Gamma
Edos
beeboy
ZZZX
Then you assign neighborhoods by making everybody's neighbor the person below them on the list (and the neighbor of the last person is the first person). So in this example you would get neighborhoods {MM4, Ircher}, {Ircher, Treble}, {Treble, WB}, {WB, SS}, {SS, Gamma}, {Gamma, Edos}, {Edos, beeboy}, {beeboy, ZZZX}, and {ZZZX, MM4}. The advantages of doing it this way are (i) you're guaranteed you won't get a situation like this game where two hoods are composed of the exact same people and (ii) the hoods are completely connected at nights (i.e. if I tell one of my neighbors something and tell them to pass it on, it will eventually get back to me and everybody in the playerlist will know it).

Spoiler: Mathy stuff
Basically the assignment of neighborhoods can be viewed as a permutation of the playerlist - that is a function that maps each player to another player such that every player is mapped uniquely - under the function that maps a player to the person who is in their neighborhood (like I would be mapped to Mario in this game). Now all permutations are composed of cycles - an n-cycle basically means that starting at one person we have to go through n different people to get back to the original person. For example, in this game we had a 7-cycle (I neighbored mario neighbored edos neighbored treble neighbored ZZZX neighbored Ircher neighbored Gamma neighbored me) and a 2-cycle (beeboy neighbored WB neighbored beeboy). Since there are 9 players in the playerlist all the n's in the cycles have to add up to 9. If there was no talk in the main thread (during N0 for example) we can only interact with people in the same cycle as us by passing info through our neighborhoods. So for example during pregame there were two closed systems of information {beeboy, WB} and {me, MM4, Edos, Treble, ZZZX, Ircher, Gamma}.
Now there are conditions you can put on the permutation you chose. For example, you made it so that nobody could be neighbors with themselves which is equivalent to there being no 1-cycles in the permutation (these kinds of permutations are called derangements). If you wanted to get rid of situations like the {beeboy, WB} one we had here you could add the condition that there are no 2-cycles in the permutation. If you think its valuable (like I do) to put everyone in the same informational "loop" then the condition you want is that the permutation is just one big 9-cycle.
So how do we achieve this? Well you could just keep rerolling until you get this, but this might take a while (in an n player game only 1/n of the possible neighborhood assignments will have everybody in the same cycle). So the easiest way is to just do what I suggested above: randomize the player list and have everyone be neighbors with the people next to them. This guarantees that everybody is connected by just going down the list!

Hope this explanation made some sense.

If you decide to run another game like this let me know!
This is awesome! Far better than I had thought of!

I will see about complimenting it in the future! Much obliged sir :)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Well, the years start comin'
And they don't stop comin'
- Jingle

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”