Micro 768: Geriatric Grey Flag Nightless - Game Over

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
insanity018
insanity018
Mafia Scum
insanity018
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #500 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 am

Post by insanity018 »

In post 496, Keychain wrote:Nightless is such a hard slog wow. White flag mechanic was also tough considering even insanity towning it up wouldn't matter if the other two of us got lynched. If town had lynched me we would have been in such a precarious position with the lurker slot and all.
Yep, it was definitely a challenge!

@Blackvoid if you're still reading this, you were clearly too busy to replace in. I like that you wanted to catchup properly but by not replacing out when you couldn't manage, you made it stressful for us because we still needed to protect your slot.

Thanks to Titus for replacing in though! :]
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #501 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:24 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 497, Mulch wrote:No way town can ever win in a geriatric game

lol
:roll:

Please keep comments like this out of geriatric games. Seriously, it's not helpful to try to throw gasoline on the fire that is the divide, and this is neither the time nor the place to insult the people who want to play in this style. I get that it is anathema to your posting style, but that's literally the point of seperating out people who want to play this way. Following them around to insult them does not help you or them in any way.

Yes, this game was largely a loss due to town apathy, but town apathy is not held solely by geriatric games.

Also, my reads were garbage. I pushed every mislynch in this game. :(
This is a Parachute.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #502 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:26 am

Post by Hopkirk »

@Insanity: What are your thoughts on the way everyone seemed to townread you (especially me/Jingle)?

I feel like the amount of time it took for a BV replacement hurt us since it really grew the apathy in lylo- to the point Jingle was willing to vote in lylo without a slot having fully contributed.
There's no reaching. I've become enlightened.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #503 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:31 am

Post by BlackVoid »

@insanity, fair enough. I kept trying to stay in the game because I wanted to make this big, pro-town catchup post full of in-depth reads and then go from there but it really never panned out. The longer it took, the more I felt like I was in this game long enough without posting so felt obligated to catchup. Also, yeah I shouldn't have replaced in. I thought I could handle a short game. What I didn't realize was how content-dense it was even with a low page count. I certainly apologize to both you guys and the town.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #504 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:37 am

Post by Hopkirk »

I feel like catching up as much as you could- slowly but doing something- would have looked a lot more pro-town than a big catch up. The way you approached it looked manufactured or scum who didn't want to rock the boat. A big catch up with in-depth reads would just sound like you'd spent ages making it and were more interested in how it looked than it letting us know what you were thinking.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #505 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

It's really unfortunate because the BV slot, had it been replaced on time, would've changed the endgame. Ugh. Oh well, bad game all around. No offense to the scumteam at all. It just feels like this game has an asterisk.
green shirt thursdays
Keychain
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #506 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:41 am

Post by Keychain »

Yeah that might have made a difference, it would have been interesting to see. Not asking Jingle to unvote me in LyLo might have also helped though?

insanity018 wrote: I'm happy to release the scum qt if you are?
https://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/rdNu6HAWDh6LA

This was where most of our conversation happened.

I'd really like to play a geriatric as town.
You're under no obligation to be the same person you were 5 minutes ago.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #507 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:51 am

Post by Hopkirk »

Lynches made so much more sense with scum BV too, but idk how much the Geriatric ruleset was responsible for altering tempo- might have just given it that effect to some extent.

Apathy wasn't so much the standard geriatric ruleset as it was the lack of deadlines. That doesn't seem like the best idea to include.

By the end I'd basically given up on trying to change people's minds any more since it had been so long and people posted so infrequently. Jingle seemed the same as I've said on voting before BV was really doing enough. Being able to spread it out over a longer period sounds like potentially a good idea, but in practice it just seems to make it hard to actually engage directly with people/follow a conversation well.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #508 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:55 am

Post by Hopkirk »

Request acknowledged. I will probably meta you naturally at some point during the game, given the lack of nightkills, but if nothing else and assuming you mean this remind me in the postgame and I'll do a thorough analysis for you.
I'd be interested in your thoughts if this offer is still open (though I know you're busy).
insanity018
insanity018
Mafia Scum
insanity018
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #509 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Post by insanity018 »

My aim was to look as townie as possible from the start. I tried to be aggressive and go after stuff that I would have genuinely attacked if I was town (eg early CultofAthena posts). I'm glad that it worked and I had a lot of people townreading at the start of the game.

I think that I could have been caught on some of the interactions. On a few occasions, I was soft-defending my buddies. For example, Luca Blight during the argument with Korts. I also gave Keychain the benefit of the doubt a lot, even though I should have been more suspicious of someone who looked to be sheeping/buddying me.

It's hard to tell what would have happened if BV was replaced earlier. I believe his lurkiness caused problems for both town and scum equally. If anything, he should probably have been policy lynched on Day 2 (but TGP helped us out by looking even worse and pretty much trolling). I genuinely don't think he would have been the right choice to lynch in Day 3 given the white flag mechanic and the lack of information.

In terms of the apathy problem, I think it would have been fine if the 48 hour prod rule had been implemented. I think the geriatric ruleset is fine!
insanity018
insanity018
Mafia Scum
insanity018
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #510 (ISO) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Post by insanity018 »

@BV
In post 504, Hopkirk wrote:I feel like catching up as much as you could- slowly but doing something- would have looked a lot more pro-town than a big catch up. The way you approached it looked manufactured or scum who didn't want to rock the boat. A big catch up with in-depth reads would just sound like you'd spent ages making it and were more interested in how it looked than it letting us know what you were thinking.
I agree! Or even posting impressions like "A and B are town, X and Y are scum" and the interacting with other players in order to flesh out the reasons why would have been useful. It's just your slot had been inactive for so long that we didn't have the luxury of waiting around for your slot to produce content. It was sliding further and further into the default-scum pile the longer you didn't post.

And again, I appreciate that you wanted to catchup properly rather than just lurk-coast for the win.

Luckily everything worked out :]
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #511 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:23 am

Post by Korts »

Shit. Sorry, guys. I got backlogged.

Good game, scum.
In post 497, Mulch wrote:No way town can ever win in a geriatric game

lol
Reported.
scumchat never die
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #512 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

I didn't play, but it was fun to see how this all played out!
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #513 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 508, Hopkirk wrote:
Request acknowledged. I will probably meta you naturally at some point during the game, given the lack of nightkills, but if nothing else and assuming you mean this remind me in the postgame and I'll do a thorough analysis for you.
I'd be interested in your thoughts if this offer is still open (though I know you're busy).
Sure. It might be a few weeks, but I'll do a more in depth meta dive and give you my thoughts.

Oh, and reck, I most certainly did do all of the 'mental calculus' to get my early day one reads. My only lies this game afaicr were exaggerating the strength of reads, which is actually fairly atypical of both scum and town me. I lie constantly as both alignments normally.
This is a Parachute.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #514 (ISO) » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I do think Town can win in Geriatric, I think apathy killed this town a bit though, only from a slight skim though. BV prod dodging like that was kind of annoying though, and he kind of helped hurt it when he really wasn't playing. (Sure, I've done this once, so I forgive him, but just don't do it again BV)
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #515 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Post by Scummies »

Congratulations to the victors!

The game has drawn to a close, the jig is up! Some of you have lost, but others have won!

Take a few days, think about the game. Recognize what was best in your teammates and opponents, and consider nominating them for a Scummy! Players and mods in this game may be eligible for one of the following awards:

BODY OF WORK AWARDS

Best Mafia Catcher
: Also known as the Paragon of Mafia Hunters, this award is given to the single town player who, across all of their games for the year, exhibited the best ability for nailing those dirty scumbags and bringing the bad guys to justice while playing as a pro-town role.
Rising Star
: This award is given to the player that is a rising star in the game of mafia, showing great promise to join the elite echelon of mafia players. This award replaces both the Best Newbie award and Most Improved Player awards, and judges may consider elements of both those previous awards in deciding this award.
Excellent Moderation
: Also known as the “The Modfather” Award. This award is given to the moderator who, over the course of the past year, exemplifies the best qualities of a moderator in the operation of the game, including but not limited to quality and frequency of vote counts, organization of the game, dealing with issues that arise, keeping players active, and so forth. Judges may consider how challenging the games a moderator ran were, but they shall not penalize a moderator for only running more basic games. A mod must run at least 3 games to completion in the calendar year to be considered for this award.
SINGLE GAME - PLAYER

Most Cunning Manipulator
: Also known as the “Don Corleone” Award. Awarded to the player who has the strongest single game performance as mafia. In rare cases, where a player feels an entire scumteam gelled to create a strong cohesive scum performance, multiple members of a team may be nominated.
Best Performance Third Party
: Also known as the “Hannibal Lecter” Award. Awarded to the player or players that performed the most impressively in winning their game as a third party.
Most Memorable Event
: Also known as the “Kodak Moment” Award. Awarded to the player or players who were involved in the most memorable event in a game of mafia. Fake claims, funny claims, awesome exchanges, etc. may all be considered for this award
SINGLE GAME - MODERATOR

Best Setup
: Also known as the “Rube Goldberg” Award. Given to the moderator who designed the best setup. Judges may consider the roles involved in a game, how those roles interacted, how balanced a setup was, whether it furthered any particular theme, how the setup interacts with a mechanic, or any other factors the judges deem relevant. This award is distinct, however, from the “Best Mechanic” award in that it does not consider how good or bad any change to the basic way a Mafia game is played.
Best Flavor Text
: Also known as the “Paperback Writer” Award. Given to the moderator who wrote the most compelling flavor text. Judges should consider the flavor text of all parts of the game, including Role PMs and Day/Night scenes. Where appropriate, Judges may consider how well the flavor works with the announced theme.
Best Mechanic/Mutation
: Also known as the "Mad Scientist” Award. Given to the moderator who figured out the most compelling way to change the basic mechanics of the game of mafia, and/or created the most compelling new role or adaptation to increase player enjoyment. Judges shall consider both the basic idea behind the game as well as how well it was executed, and the uniqueness and quality of the role/adaptation.
SITE AWARDS

Game of the Year
: Also known as the “Player’s Choice” Award. This award is given to the moderator of a game. It is given in recognition of the overall excellence of a game. The Game of the Year award is a "catch all" award for the best overall game throughout the entire year, considering all aspects of the game from moderator quality, to the excellent design and composition of the game, to the performance and cohesion of the playerlist. A Game of the Year is meant to be the game that we can all point to later and say "This game was the best game the site could offer that year in terms of Design, Playerlist, and moderating capability." This is a PUBLIC VOTE. [/color]

The
2018 Scummies thread
is located here.
You may nominate a player or moderator for an award using this form.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #516 (ISO) » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Post by Micc »

:mrgreen: