Micro 794: Miss List II (Game Over)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #475 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:05 am

Post by Something_Smart »

I would disagree with the opinion that it's not mafia. However I agree that the setup needs some serious work if it's even viable at all.

To be fair... the whole communication thing you did wouldn't have worked if Creature had not been 100% readable.

But yes. The game needs stronger incentives to lynch scum. Could take inspiration from Perpetual MYLO and require town to lynch a certain number of scum to win? (That would probably work better 6:5, with 3 scum lynches required to win.)
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #476 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:09 am

Post by Mathdino »

i mean sure but there's always going to be one player that's 100% readable by another player one way or the other

had creature been town, we would've just been able to bust our asses to sacrifice in order to keep him alive

i don't like the idea of a points system mixing with the miss list system really; it's the centrepiece of perpetual mylo while here it'd just be a bandaid

i just think it's one of those mechanics that's better in theory than in execution
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #477 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:13 am

Post by Mathdino »

also, re: the ego thing

i never meant to imply to everyone else that my reads were great, or that i'm objectively the best town player ever

i meant to imply that, from magna's POV, my reads were almost 100% on point due to me townreading him and scumreading panther FMPOV

so the "my reads are better than yours" was specifically trying to appeal to a hypothetical town magna

obviously none of that applies in the case where i get fuckin played

and this turned out to be that case

still, my beef is things like

- what does D1 even matter? town is not going to shoot wrong on D1

- as a result, town can lynch scum 3 times in a row and still lose. that seems unfair

- conversely, scum can lynch town 4 times in a row and still lose.

it makes the setup straight up not based around dayplay. it's interesting as a gimmick but not really the MafiaScum Way :P
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #478 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:31 am

Post by implosion »

In post 477, Mathdino wrote:- what does D1 even matter? town is not going to shoot wrong on D1

- as a result, town can lynch scum 3 times in a row and still lose. that seems unfair

- conversely, scum can lynch town 4 times in a row and still lose.

it makes the setup straight up not based around dayplay. it's interesting as a gimmick but not really the MafiaScum Way
all of this.

That said this win was all entirely 100% me and i'm a god of mafia because of it.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #479 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:56 am

Post by Creature »

Guess the game would've been even broker if I was town, yeah.
Sigh
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #480 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:05 am

Post by Chickadee »

I was banging my head against a wall in the dead thread.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #481 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:10 am

Post by Mathdino »

also in retrospect panther should 100% have been the sacrifice

i don't know why the plan on that changed

i wasn't around when that decision was made :/
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #482 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:20 am

Post by PantherPunt »

In post 467, Mathdino wrote:well done magna

i played dumb or scum and chose dumb, ignoring my usual burden of proficiency tell

shot panther because his ISO had practically 0 mention of the scumteam, only talked about reads on townies
In post 468, Mathdino wrote:also the fact that panther was caving to your plan on D3 read very badly on him

couldn't understand how town would've been okay with that one
lolyou

Don't blame me for your bad read
Or for being a pussy

It's a combination of the two. You said your shot was ready and....you shoot me.

gg magna though
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #483 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:23 am

Post by PantherPunt »

In post 451, Mathdino wrote:Wow my least ideal lylo

Fucking told you guys I can read him
In post 457, Mathdino wrote:VOTE: Mathdino

then vote me and i'm taking the fucking shot
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #484 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 am

Post by PantherPunt »

Also the selfvote....craziness

If you waited for me I was going to 100% vote magna bc if he was town I knew he'd shoot you.

So you threw the game good job good effort
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #485 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:34 am

Post by Mathdino »

I was put in a position where either of you would've shot me

I self voted so I could be the one to take the shot

Not_Mafia was the only one super lock townread I had and was the only one townreading me
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #486 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

First would like to say thanks to Something Smart for another solid game Modded. You are too good a Mod to be stuck with such a Meh set-up SS!

Also thanks to my partners for helping me as much as possible once Chicka made things grim.

Generally agree that this game isn’t straightforward Mafia and feels like a very specialized variant. I’m not sure what can be done to make it more fun while keeping the Perpetual LYLO mechanic. Probably one of the most easily broken set-ups if you get an obvious player in a scum role.

@Chicka
- I don’t know if you read the Scum PT but kudos for nailing the scum-team and really making this an uphill battle. I would only suggest work at being a little more open and verbose with your thoughts early on. You instincts this game were spot on and without you who knows how different the game would have turned out. My Town MVP vote goes to you.

@Creature
– either take a break from Mafia or be willing to actually put in effort if you draw scum. The fact that you are so easy to identify these days is a detriment to your own team every time you draw scum and really not fair to the other players who get saddled with you as a scum teammate.

--
In post 468, Mathdino wrote:also the fact that panther was caving to your plan on D3 read very badly on him

couldn't understand how town would've been okay with that one
No, it shouldn’t have. It should have signaled to you that your reads might be off. Because given some time and effort to look at things from a Town Panther perspective and my plan (which of course would never have come to fruition as I couldn’t shoot) is entirely reasonable with little risk. Even if his read on me is wrong there was little risk in lynching me. I couldn’t shoot if I was scum and Buj was a dead man walking the next day. And if I was Town then he knew the last scum was between you and NotMafia.

You failed to be able to put yourself in someone else’s perspective and it cost you.

Other that all I will say is my departing words before the lynch were 100% truthful Math – I’ll do my best to steer clear of games you play in (not that I think we will have much cross-over in interests so that should be an easy mission to accomplish). Good luck in your future games.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #487 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:42 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 486, MagnaofIllusion wrote:@Chicka - I don’t know if you read the Scum PT but kudos for nailing the scum-team and really making this an uphill battle. I would only suggest work at being a little more open and verbose with your thoughts early on. You instincts this game were spot on and without you who knows how different the game would have turned out. My Town MVP vote goes to you.
Thank you.

Competing against louder players is something I've been struggling with for a while now. It's easy to get discouraged when you're seen in most games as lynch bait, or the weak player.

MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #488 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:46 pm

In post 487, Chickadee wrote:Competing against louder players is something I've been struggling with for a while now. It's easy to get discouraged when you're seen in most games as lynch bait, or the weak player.
Don't let the bully you or drown you out. Actively push-back whenever someone calls you lynch-bait (even if it is to your theoretical benefit). Reject the label and do your best to make your thoughts clearly heard. Don't let people define what you think of yourself as a Mafia player. It is certainly good to look for advice post-game but don't let people inherently dismiss you Day 1.

I know these are all tough things to do but the more you strive towards them the better off you will be as a Mafia player.

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #489 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Thanks Magna, truly.

I look forward to playing with you again.

MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #490 (ISO) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:52 pm

In post 489, Chickadee wrote:Thanks Magna, truly.

I look forward to playing with you again.
Same here.

PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #491 (ISO) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:12 am

Post by PantherPunt »

@Magna - did you know that the thread wouldn't ever acquiesce to voting you when you proposed that plan to me? bc if the others did, it would have been game over with buj being outed, no?

just curious where your head was at
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #492 (ISO) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:02 am

Panther - i was pretty sure that I was viewed as “too dumb” by Math for him to trust me to take a shot. And I figured NM would follow Math’s lead. And of course Buj wasn’t voting me.

Also I felt confident that I crafted the proposal to infuriate Math so he would push against it as further insurance.

Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #493 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Post by Scummies »

Congratulations to the victors!

The game has drawn to a close, the jig is up! Some of you have lost, but others have won!

Take a few days, think about the game. Recognize what was best in your teammates and opponents, and consider nominating them for a Scummy! Players and mods in this game may be eligible for one of the following awards:

BODY OF WORK AWARDS

Best Mafia Catcher
: Also known as the Paragon of Mafia Hunters, this award is given to the single town player who, across all of their games for the year, exhibited the best ability for nailing those dirty scumbags and bringing the bad guys to justice while playing as a pro-town role.
Rising Star
: This award is given to the player that is a rising star in the game of mafia, showing great promise to join the elite echelon of mafia players. This award replaces both the Best Newbie award and Most Improved Player awards, and judges may consider elements of both those previous awards in deciding this award.
Excellent Moderation
: Also known as the “The Modfather” Award. This award is given to the moderator who, over the course of the past year, exemplifies the best qualities of a moderator in the operation of the game, including but not limited to quality and frequency of vote counts, organization of the game, dealing with issues that arise, keeping players active, and so forth. Judges may consider how challenging the games a moderator ran were, but they shall not penalize a moderator for only running more basic games. A mod must run at least 3 games to completion in the calendar year to be considered for this award.
SINGLE GAME - PLAYER

Most Cunning Manipulator
: Also known as the “Don Corleone” Award. Awarded to the player who has the strongest single game performance as mafia. In rare cases, where a player feels an entire scumteam gelled to create a strong cohesive scum performance, multiple members of a team may be nominated.
Best Performance Third Party
: Also known as the “Hannibal Lecter” Award. Awarded to the player or players that performed the most impressively in winning their game as a third party.
Most Memorable Event
: Also known as the “Kodak Moment” Award. Awarded to the player or players who were involved in the most memorable event in a game of mafia. Fake claims, funny claims, awesome exchanges, etc. may all be considered for this award
SINGLE GAME - MODERATOR

Best Setup
: Also known as the “Rube Goldberg” Award. Given to the moderator who designed the best setup. Judges may consider the roles involved in a game, how those roles interacted, how balanced a setup was, whether it furthered any particular theme, how the setup interacts with a mechanic, or any other factors the judges deem relevant. This award is distinct, however, from the “Best Mechanic” award in that it does not consider how good or bad any change to the basic way a Mafia game is played.
Best Flavor Text
: Also known as the “Paperback Writer” Award. Given to the moderator who wrote the most compelling flavor text. Judges should consider the flavor text of all parts of the game, including Role PMs and Day/Night scenes. Where appropriate, Judges may consider how well the flavor works with the announced theme.
Best Mechanic/Mutation
: Also known as the "Mad Scientist” Award. Given to the moderator who figured out the most compelling way to change the basic mechanics of the game of mafia, and/or created the most compelling new role or adaptation to increase player enjoyment. Judges shall consider both the basic idea behind the game as well as how well it was executed, and the uniqueness and quality of the role/adaptation.
SITE AWARDS

Game of the Year
: Also known as the “Player’s Choice” Award. This award is given to the moderator of a game. It is given in recognition of the overall excellence of a game. The Game of the Year award is a "catch all" award for the best overall game throughout the entire year, considering all aspects of the game from moderator quality, to the excellent design and composition of the game, to the performance and cohesion of the playerlist. A Game of the Year is meant to be the game that we can all point to later and say "This game was the best game the site could offer that year in terms of Design, Playerlist, and moderating capability." This is a PUBLIC VOTE. [/color]

The
2018 Scummies thread
is located here.
You may nominate a player or moderator for an award using this form.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #494 (ISO) » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:16 pm

Post by Micc »

:mrgreen: