Micro 586: ETL's uPick Horror Movies! (GAME OVER)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1025 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:29 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

Javajoe24 was lynched on Day 4. He was a
Town Delayed Jailkeeper

Spoiler: Kirroha/Javajoe24
Kirroha, The RingImage
Here we go, the world is spinning. When it stops, it's just beginning. Sun comes up, we all laugh. Sun goes down, we all die...

You are Samara Morgan,
Town Delayed Jailkeeper

Abilities:

Seven days...:
At night, select a player. They will be jailkept on the following night, whether you are alive or not.

I don't make them, I see them:
Before the end of each day, you must draw at least one creepy picture and send it to me. You can use any format you wish (paper/pencil picture, MS paint, etc).

Win Condition:

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Did you know...

Long before the movie premiered, the killer video was used as a commercial. The commercial did not mention any movie for nearly a month.

First and only creepy picture drawn (by Kirroha)
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1026 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:49 am

GAME OVER

The mafia team of
Davsto
and
Ollie
win the game.

Spoiler: Davsto
Davsto, Shaun of the DeadImage
As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie.

You are Shaun,
Mafia Neighbor

Abilities:

He's not my boyfriend! (Factional Communication):
You have access to a private topic where you can speak with your mafia partner (AngryPidgeon) at any time during the game.

The zed-word. Don't say it! (Factional Kill):
Once each night, you and your partner may select a player to kill.

Thanks, babe:
You also have access to a neighborhood with another player, where you can speak with them at any time during the game.

Win Condition:

You win when the mafia comprises 50% or more of the remaining players or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Did you know...

When asked by an interviewer why they chose to have slow moving zombies instead of running zombies, Simon Pegg simply replied, "Because death is not an energy drink."

Spoiler: AngryPidgeon/Ollie
angrypidgeon, cabin in the woodsImage
I am never gonna see a merman. Ever.

You are Steve Hadley,
Mafia Technician (JOAT)

Abilities:

These fucking zombies. Remember when you could just throw a girl in a volcano?:
You have several 1-shot abilities. You do not have to use an ability every night, but you may only use one ability on any single night. You may also perform the factional kill on the same night that you decide to use an ability.

* 1-shot Flavor cop: Select a target to learn their flavor name.
* 1-shot Tracker: Select a target to learn who they targeted.
* 1-shot Bus Driver: Select two targets to switch places; any actions targeting one will end up on the other instead, and vice-versa.

Turn the fucking music off! (Factional Kill):
Once each night, you and your partner may select a player to kill.

Oh Christ, can you take a message? (Factional Communication):
You have access to a private topic where you can speak with your mafia partner (Davsto) at any time during the game.

Win Condition:

You win when the mafia comprises 50% or more of the remaining players or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Did you know...

The movie's opening was a deliberate attempt by filmmakers Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon to confuse the audience and make them think they walked in to see the wrong movie.

SirCakez,
Town 2-shot Replicator
, died in End Game and lost.

Spoiler: SirCakez
SirCakez, The ThingImage
You gotta be fuckin' kidding.

You are (Vance) Norris-Thing,
Town 2-shot Replicator

Abilities:

Finish what?
Twice during the game, you may select a player during the day-phase. The next night, you will be able to use an ability they possess. However, it is unknown if you will always receive an exact copy - it might be a mutation!

I'm sorry fellas, but I'm not up to it:
You can also grow a pair of legs out of your head, but you're not sure what that does.

Win Condition:

Did you know...

To give the illusion of icy Antarctic conditions, interior sets on the Los Angeles sound stages were refrigerated down to 40 F while it was well over 100 F outside.

el simo,
Haunted Townie
, died in End Game and lost.

Spoiler: el simo
el simo, Paranormal activityImage
...honestly what was I supposed to say? On our first date, 'Hey, I think there's a demon that I think has been following me.'

You are Katie,
Haunted Townie

Abilities:

Dr. Fredrichs said that it wasn't a ghost:
Each day that you manage to stay alive, you gain an ability. To gain your first, you must make it through Night 1. You will be informed of what your ability is on Day 2, and each Day after that.

You promised me you weren't going to mess with that stuff:
You also have a Ouija board and you can send into the aether a new message each night (PM to me). The message must be a yes or no question only.

Win Condition:

Did you know...

Paranormal Activity is the most profitable film ever made, based on return on investment.

Saw Trap PT: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=65506
Mafia PT: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=65505
The Winchester (Shaun of the Dead neighborhood PT): http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=65503

Mod/Dead PT: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=65507

Some notes and comments from the mod:

First, I want to thank all of you for participating, and especially to JavaJoe24, Ranger and Ollie for replacing in and helping to keep the game flow going.

This game had a LOT going on.
All actual role information, initial picks, hidden action information and night actions are posted in the OP of the mod topic.

I was interested to see how the SK (KainTepes, Saw) was going to play the role. He had the ability to make a kill every other night, some bulletproof, and the PT. He just had to play it carefully. He did not, so that was a bit disappointing, but the other players in the trap escaped on that chance.

The amount of "other factions" in this game probably caused quite a bit of confusion, which was definitely the point. However, Guyett's role was an after thought, and his wincon change did not alter anything else for the rest of the game. He was essentiallly town and had a good chance to win. Unfortunately, he chose to full-claim, which brought his motives into question. I didn't think that was a good move, personally, and I probably would have played it differently.

The mafia went under the radar for pretty much the entire game, despite being unable to get off a kill 2 nights in a row. Town was hyper-focused on resolving the trap, and neglected to look at who was pushing what argument and why. I think there were a ton of great ideas though, and I really loved reading the logic behind everyone's conclusions regarding game mechanics.

The biggest lesson here is don't forget it's a bastard game ;) I apologize if I frustrated anyone too much; it was definitely an evil experiment, and I had a good time watching/reading the game. I'm surprised that it made it to D4, to be honest, as most micro games are over on D3. This game actually had the potential to be over on N1, but the right combination of night actions allowed the town more time to figure out what was going on.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts, criticisms, ideas, etc. on how you think the game went, what you thought of the mechanics/roles, and anything else you'd like to say.

Thanks again for participating!!

ALSO - a very special thank you to ANTIHERO for putting up with my dumb ass and helping me put this together. ♥
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1027 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:54 am

A comment that Jingle made, that Anti had also mentioned, was that this kind of a game would have been a great Large Theme, and I may look at doing that when school finishes for the semester. The mechanics involved here would play out a lot better with more players, for sure.
Art is cool.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1028 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:55 am

Post by Davsto »

wubba lubba dubdub

How did the tracking of the delayed jailer work? I pretty much bullshitted it when it came to trying to convince people but I was genuinely confused because I knew it was real since it prevented my kill and all

The mask thing played a bigggg part in us winning the game. Distracted the town by looking for something entirely unrelated. Confusion is always great for scum, and town overtheorised that and then accepted a thing as the truth and dropped all traditional scumhunting for looking for people by night actions. Fun game though, ETL and Anti, well done! Maybe some things could have been handled better but it was KainTepes' fault that he was being a dimwit, not yours.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1029 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:55 am

Oh, and the Michael Meyers mask did nothing, and died with Guyett on D3. Its presence was merely intended for confusion. Several of the roles had abilities that did nothing (SirCakez legs for example)
Art is cool.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1030 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:56 am

Post by Davsto »

Also gg overall to everyone!
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1031 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:58 am

For the delayed JK, here's how it worked:

If tracker targeted JK on the night the target was chosen, they would see them visit the target. If target on the night the action was in effect, they would not.
If voyeur target JK's target on the night the target was chosen, they would not see the action. If target was watched on the night the action was in effect, they would.

Think of it like a really slow person walking from their house to the target's house. The tracker begins at the JK's house and follows him half-way, thus surmising their intended target, or perhaps overhearing the person go "I'm going to jail Davsto tomorrow night, when I arrive there." The voyeur is at the target house, watching for anyone to come and visit. Well, he won't see anyone until the person arrives.
Art is cool.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1032 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:02 am

Post by Davsto »

See, personally as a mod I'd have it all seen on one night or the other. I see it as them choosing a target on the first night, while they actually do the action the following night, unless it's something like Poisoner where they are seen "poisoning" (the actual action) on the first night, and the target dies the following night with no input from the "killer".

But that's just a matter of different mods doing different things :P
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1033 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:06 am

In post 1032, Davsto wrote:I see it as them choosing a target on the first night, while they actually do the action the following night

Exactly. Based on the nature of the tracker/voyeur, the results depend on who is targeted when.
Art is cool.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1034 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:07 am

Post by Davsto »

Yeah but like

As in, I have at as the person just planning it out?

Like, N1 they go "hmm im going to jail X tomorrow" while N2 is when they actually do all of the actioning

If you see what I mean
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1035 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:10 am

The first night they take the action, and the second night they complete the action. It's delayed :P

It's not that they decide N1 and then do it N2. I mean, I understand what you're saying, in that case it would be more of "future" action, rather than delayed, since the player actually sets the action in motion on the first night, but it gets delayed and takes effect the next night.
Art is cool.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1036 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:12 am

Post by Davsto »

I mean this is just a case of how different mods think of it :P

Because my way is just how I think of it
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1037 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:28 am

Post by SirCakez »

Shucks I really thought the two SKs was the solution. GG to Dav and Ollie for winning!
I really enjoyed this game even though it was very slow at times. The setup was really fun, agree that it would have made a cool Large Theme. Thanks to ETL for modding!
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1038 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 am

Fun fact - most of the games I mod, I end up not being able to keep up with the reading very closely due to time constraints, but the mechanics here and everyone's ideas about them were so fascinating, I read every word and followed along super closely. It's probably the first game I read completely that I wasn't actually playing in, so I definitely want to thank you all for keeping it entertaining! :]
Art is cool.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1039 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:43 am

Post by Davsto »

Normally I love setup spec and get stuck into this

But in this game I was entirely aware that the confusion from role interactions was very much something to use to my advantage, more so than your average Micro or Theme.

So I toned it down a bit :P
Ollie
Ollie
Goon
Ollie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1040 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:45 am

Post by Ollie »

Was that one shot cop ability el simo gained a normal cop ability or flavour cop or something?

Well played Dav!

In post 1037, SirCakez wrote:GG to Dav and Ollie for winning!

Thanks mate. :) No one looking for a mafia team definitely helped, not a bad situation to replace into.
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #1041 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:47 am

Post by SirCakez »

The main thing that made me think there was only one scum left is we already had two dead scum. Didn't expect a 5v4, I did consider the possibility of group scum but decided against it.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1042 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:48 am

Post by Davsto »

Yeah, the lack of consideration for a mafia team certainly helped :P

If only because people weren't as careful on that last day as they could have been because they didn't realise it was lylo - if they had been more careful around it, I think that would have at least increased their chances of lynching scum

Seems like, in the long run, both of our nightkills failing worked in our favour
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1043 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:50 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 1041, SirCakez wrote:The main thing that made me think there was only one scum left is we already had two dead scum. Didn't expect a 5v4, I did consider the possibility of group scum but decided against it.

As ETL said, Guyett slot wasn't scum. Like, at all. "Scum" is generally a term reserved for anti-town alignments.

Guyett slot was neutral at worst, pro-town at best. Hell, he was even initially town before changing alignments.
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #1044 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:50 am

Post by SirCakez »

The Myers mask really screwed us up because we were flavor hunting instead of scumhunting yeah.
But I'm not even angry about losing this at least since the game was quite fun and the scumteam played well.
P-Edit: He was someone who could side against town at the least.
Ollie
Ollie
Goon
Ollie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1045 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:51 am

Post by Ollie »

It's hard to change the scum you're looking for after you get into the habit of it, but when the scum faction stops making sense then it's time to look for another kind of faction. I've learned this the hard way before myself. I've also been in games where extra stuff was actually superfluous to the game so I don't think I'd have went mad over chasing the mask. It's easy for me to say though, I may just have went along with things! But I think those are two takeaways from this game for town.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1046 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:35 am

In post 1040, Ollie wrote:Was that one shot cop ability el simo gained a normal cop ability or flavour cop or something?

It was a full cop, i.e. if he'd have targeted you or Dav, he would have received "Guilty." However, if Kain had still been alive, or if he'd copped Guyett, he'd have gotten "Innocent" as a cop only sees guilties on mafia.
Art is cool.
Ollie
Ollie
Goon
Ollie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1047 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:00 am

Post by Ollie »

Town were quite up against it I guess, numbers weren't on their side. :)

In post 1046, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
In post 1040, Ollie wrote:Was that one shot cop ability el simo gained a normal cop ability or flavour cop or something?

It was a full cop, i.e. if he'd have targeted you or Dav, he would have received "Guilty." However, if Kain had still been alive, or if he'd copped Guyett, he'd have gotten "Innocent" as a cop only sees guilties on mafia.

Ah cool, if that was just a mafia finding cop that coulda been something town missed. & I didn't wanna ask that question in the thread just in case! :P
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1048 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:16 am

Someone definitely mentioned it, I forget who, but it was passed over rather quickly. I didn't actually expect him to get a chance to use it, but it was a very big hint that one of the factions was mafia.
Art is cool.
el simo
el simo
Mafia Scum
el simo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1049 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:52 am

Post by el simo »

Wow. Well done scum. The lack of night kills had definitely convinced me we weren't dealing with a mafia team. Unfortunately we realized too late that no one was fake claiming flavour or role.
"How very Rambo-esque of you." - Bazz
"If el simo + Internet Stranger end up being scum in this game, I'm going to openly weep when we lose." chkflip

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”