Micro 600: Experimental Mafia #1 - Mechanics UPICK ((FIN))

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Froot Loop
Froot Loop
Goon
Froot Loop
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1100 (ISO) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Post by Froot Loop »

Me too
Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1101 (ISO) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:19 pm

Post by Aneninen »

Thanks for modding, gg everyone.

Although, I must admit I didn't enjoy it at all.

This game was a perfect example for "hostile environment" (described on a Wiki-page, made by Mastin maybe?). Every single townie was very active, everyone read everything thoroughly, while I couldn't put enough effort in the game because of IRL things. It was a sheer nightmare.
By the way, I genuinely thought that I had been hammered on Day1. Then half of the Day was about that topic. When it ended, Zefiend got tunnelled and even if Creature was thought to be lynched the tide turned against us once more. (I hate when I have to bus only because not doing so would be even worse.)
On Day2 I should have claimed VT, yeah, but I don't think that would have changed the outcome. I stood alone with no allies with 3 conf-town and a semi-conf one around me. WTF. I simply didn't dare to build up a counter – partly because on Day1 basically every single mislynch idea got derailed, partly because even if I had been successful, I would have looked very bad afterwards. Maybe if I had tried to exploit all those private chats earlier to turn some people against Froot or Creature "in the shade", I could have lived further.

I don't know whether it was balanced, though. The Mason-Kill was practically countered by the Transporter (as a Mason claims or softs and it actually happened). 2 Masons + Clotilde = 3 conf-town by Day2 in a Micro (not speaking of the Clotildizer + "Bus-Driver", both of them could be considered semi-conf at best.) But don't put it in the wrong way, we didn't lose
because of
balance issues.

As for the mechanics.
Those rooms were an interesting idea, however, managing them surely overburdens the Mod. (And paying attention not to talk about the Room-ie? Oh My Gods.)
The Circle of Trust was another good idea. There could be a game or a Setup built around it. Balancing seems to be an issue, though. (Maybe a Rock-Paper-Scissors like large, eg. 3 Wolves 3 Mafia 3 Masons, Wolves with an extra Mafia-Kill, Mafia with an extra Mason-Kill and Masons with a group Seer Night Action. Hm?)
Maybe the color Neighbourhoods shouldn't have been in the same game with the Rooms (because of the sheer amount of private chats).

Indeed, that flavour-item list could deserve a whole game alone.
Ircher's idea about winning by NoKills/Nolynches seem to be un-winnable.
That WordSneak looks interesting, but it would overburden the Mod, I suppose.

And I hope you liked my Clotildizer idea. (Although it was originally a Day action.)

I have no objection against revealing the PTs.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1102 (ISO) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Post by Davsto »

Can I ask

Was me never getting a link to my Season PT a mod error or something intentionally mechanical?
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #1103 (ISO) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:29 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Thanks for the recap anen. Fwiw, I think this game is a lot more swingy than unbalanced. If day one is a vt ml, you get Clot + transporter with solid odds of killing the clot while throwing suspicion on the wrong slot, and mislynch #2 is ripe for the taking. Of course, you also have decent odds of the transporter turning the goon kill back against the mafia (presuming that is also allowed in the rules).

Ninja'd: I'd have to think that was mod error. Our hood chat was super dead because we had one mason, two mafia, and one mis link :lol: Seriously, that should have been a bigger red flag sooner. Oh well.
Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon

Post Post #1104 (ISO) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:30 pm

Post by Aneninen »

In post 1070, mhsmith0 wrote:FWIW, I still hold that the clot mechanic would have been totally fine in the hands of mafia (especially if it was just a one-shot instead of repeating). If KC was bussing on D1 (especially given that Creature could have been lynched instead), the town credit they get for claiming clot would have meant that they could sit back and watch as two of three of Anen, Creature and FL got lynched. They played well, to be sure, but I couldn't avoid the suspicion that they were playing a really good mafia game instead of a really good town one.

Hmmm...
Maybe it could be a gold in the hands of a scum who loves bussing...

In post 1077, Antihero wrote:as scum, the only positive utility for this role would be in the form of towncred from clearing someonethe best way to play it then would be to use the clotildizer late game or not use it at all and claim to have been roleblocked

It depends on. With Night mechanics, yes. However, I wouldn't claim being roleblocked; I would simply say that I spared my ability until a LyLo-close situation...

In post 1080, Antihero wrote:bussing accusations are just irritating beyond belief: 1) because i almost never bus as scum and 2) because how many fucking scum do i need to catch before ppl stop assuming "OMGZ HEZ JUST BUSSING NO WAY HE COULDVE CAUGHT SCUM HIMSELF." /norespect

Actually, yes.
I would say, there are two possible situations for bussing.
The first one when the gain is
way bigger
than the loss:
at least
two mislynches should be achieved afterwards.
The second one, which I really hate (see above), when staying absent is
much worse
than bussing. (Although, as for this, this particular game wasn't the same, Zefiend would have lynched without me anyway.)
Both situations are much more uncommon than many players think.

In post 1086, Froot Loop wrote:I didn't really enjoy D2. No one was engaging or talking that much but I'm happy that it led to a town win!

Because I hoped someone else would launch a case on someone... it never happened.

In post 1092, Plotinus wrote:I felt the nightkill strongly pointed to Anen because of a similar nightkill that happened in a previous game, and I was concerned with anen's reads progression on zefiend.

Naw.
I had to Nightkill him because he softed a PR which was in the way of our Mason-Kill.
ɀefiend
ɀefiend
Goon
ɀefiend
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1105 (ISO) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:51 pm

Post by ɀefiend »

I don't have anything nice to say about the setup.
I'm also not pleased with several of the mod's actions.
The only silver lining to this game is that it was dubbed "experimental."
Froot Loop
Froot Loop
Goon
Froot Loop
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1106 (ISO) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:31 pm

Post by Froot Loop »

Sorry about your loss, Plot.

In post 1092, Plotinus wrote:I'm sorry we got paranoid of you, Froot Loop. I think we were just really struggling to see where you were coming from (just like you were struggling to understand why mario was clear), but when you did explain that you were having trouble with understanding how mario could be clear when you'd be scumreading him and were having trouble resetting your reads or just needed to make sure he was really clear that was something I found relateable finally.

And no worries. I had fun in the PT, at points, just a shame that I was suspicious of Mario the whole time and then you in D2.

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good time zefiend.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1107 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:28 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 1103, mhsmith0 wrote:Ninja'd: I'd have to think that was mod error. Our hood chat was super dead because we had one mason, two mafia, and one mis link :lol: Seriously, that should have been a bigger red flag sooner. Oh well.

Ouch :P I was given access but didn't realise until after I'd died

Did I ever mention being confused about all the talk about it? Because I was, everyone was like "you know what the colour mechanic means" and I was like "wtf"
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #1108 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:32 am

Post by Plotinus »

we get a PM for the winter neighbourhood and for each room that we got, both on our mains and on our hydra, which was nice; some mods only PM the hydra account or only give access to the hydra account and that means having to log in regularly just to see if anything has happened.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #1109 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:08 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

btw if anyone has suggestions for improvement on my end, or anything I should especially be taking from this game, I'd be happy to hear it. I know my game has a lot of room for improvement, so the more I can figure things out the better.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #1110 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:33 am

Post by Antihero »

In post 1101, Aneninen wrote:I don't know whether it was balanced, though. The Mason-Kill was practically countered by the Transporter (as a Mason claims or softs and it actually happened). 2 Masons + Clotilde = 3 conf-town by Day2 in a Micro (not speaking of the Clotildizer + "Bus-Driver", both of them could be considered semi-conf at best.) But don't put it in the wrong way, we didn't lose because of balance issues.

w the mason kill we couldve been in lylo after 1 mislynch (secret lylo at that)

so i dont think it's imbalanced so much as insanely swingy
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #1111 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:56 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 1094, Plotinus wrote:I think people should be more suspicious of cute pictures than they are but they really work for some reason. In one game, as scum, I strongarmed four consecutive lynches with them before people got suspicious of me. It was weird!

Can you link me to that game? My wolf game is an absolute joke (2 lynches in 3 days), so at this point any ideas I can get at all would be helpful.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #1112 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:57 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

PPE: the one day I escaped getting lynched as a wolf I was the counter-wagon to a townie who flagrantly imploded. And then day 2 was "kill MHS day" :(
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #1113 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:16 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 1111, mhsmith0 wrote:
In post 1094, Plotinus wrote:I think people should be more suspicious of cute pictures than they are but they really work for some reason. In one game, as scum, I strongarmed four consecutive lynches with them before people got suspicious of me. It was weird!

Can you link me to that game? My wolf game is an absolute joke (2 lynches in 3 days), so at this point any ideas I can get at all would be helpful.

It was Wifom city, and I was a third party (arsonist). I was in the Banana Frog hydra with Fro99er, a friend of mine who doesn't play anymore :( but this was back when I was still signing in my hydrae so the posts marked --P are mine. I didn't win; I was lynched on day 9 because I was PoEd, but it was one of my better games.

I have all of my games on my wiki with some commentary about them.

Good scum games of mine were Clowntardis (as Plottin Kittehs, a hydra with Malakittens), Handwriting, Plain Sight, and Long Winded.

I used cute animal pictures in Wifom City (3rd party), Handwriting (scum), and n1671 (town), and also in a Marathon game I played in (as town). Also tried to use them as town in a horrible blitz game i was town in but I didn't have enough towncred to pull it off in that one.

I'd recommend reading scum PTs, not just mine but for other games too. If you go to the private topics section and go to completed game topics, and scroll down to the bottom, there's some drop downs that say "Sort by" [ Post time ]. change it to "Replies" and press "go" and you'll see the longest private topics that have been made public: these are usually scum PTs from interesting games where a lot of strategising happened.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1114 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:19 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 1111, mhsmith0 wrote:

Trust me, your scum game will improve, however much you think it won't. I was traditionally awful as scum, and then Paint Mafia came along and no-one will ever trust me again.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #1115 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:50 am

Post by Ircher »

Gg.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon

Post Post #1116 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:59 pm

Post by Aneninen »

OFF

Who wants new E.B.O.N.Y. Levels?
They're on!

ON
Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon

Post Post #1117 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:40 pm

Post by Aneninen »

In post 1110, Antihero wrote:
w the mason kill we couldve been in lylo after 1 mislynch (secret lylo at that)
so i dont think it's imbalanced so much as insanely swingy

That may be true; however the Transporter still could interfere everything.
But yet again, this was an experimental Setup and we didn't lose because of balance issues.

Generally speaking, I think Masons are way more powerful than they are thought to be. Masons + anything that could interfere Nightkills (Doc, JK, Bus-Driver, etc.) result conf-towns whom are very tricky to get removed.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #1118 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:29 am

Post by Ircher »

Yep. Davsto took one for the team!
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1119 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:09 am

Post by Davsto »

For the record, I did transport Ircher and Froot Loop, so to succeed in killing a Mason, you'd have had to have targeted mhsmith
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #1120 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:11 am

Post by Ircher »

This is only the 2nd game Ive won so far.
Froot Loop
Froot Loop
Goon
Froot Loop
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1121 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:23 am

Post by Froot Loop »

In post 1119, Davsto wrote:For the record, I did transport Ircher and Froot Loop, so to succeed in killing a Mason, you'd have had to have targeted mhsmith

Did you do that because you thought I was scummy during D1?
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1122 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:37 am

Post by Davsto »

I don't really remember why I chose you.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #1123 (ISO) » Sun May 01, 2016 11:21 am

Post by Ircher »

*Waits for PT releases.......
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1124 (ISO) » Sun May 01, 2016 11:28 am

Post by Aeronaut »