Micro 610 - Killer in the Penthouse [Game Over!]

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
copper223
copper223
Jack of All Trades
copper223
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 4:18 am

Post by copper223 »

Remember you also replaced into a lurker slot in a game where town had a way to signal to the rest that they were town, I'd say the setup is fairly balanced but the way you played it, it was not.

I'd need to see your town meta to make a better eval. of your play but from what I've seen you are definitely better than 1-7 and must be getting unlucky with the variance or you have a penchant to replace into games where the previous owner already fucked up.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 4:23 am

Post by Creature »

If I were king I would choose mhsmith to be lynched (mainly because I was likely town reading everybody else), though his agreement on my plan seemed towny.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 4:34 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 300, copper223 wrote:Remember you also replaced into a lurker slot in a game where town had a way to signal to the rest that they were town, I'd say the setup is fairly balanced but the way you played it, it was not.

I'd need to see your town meta to make a better eval. of your play but from what I've seen you are definitely better than 1-7 and must be getting unlucky with the variance or you have a penchant to replace into games where the previous owner already fucked up.
I honestly think my town game is fine (Radja's the only player here who has seen me as town, and I think he'd agree - I suspect Postie, who was on graveyard, would +1 as well). OTOH my town W-L record is pretty bad too. And for those, most of the time I'm in from start or a D1 sub. The only one where I truly mentally punt on the result was the one where I was in with Postie, and I subbed in at 5v3 MYLO and basically couldn't do anything to avert the final ML (though at least the way it went down, with the whole midnight hammer sequence, was kinda funny).

wrt how I played it, IMO the game state was past the point where I could legitimately do anything to look town (night action discussion was over, the "we're all sort of scum-hunting" phase had kinda winded down too), so I figured the best thing I could do was come up with a legitimate way to justify my lurking and non-participation. The alternative would have been to just come out BS guns blazing, over-sell the idea that I was actually the billionaire, try to confuse the board, etc. I didn't quite think I could pull that off, but I considered that approach as an alternative. I wasn't sure there was any kind of good way to play the middle ground, or if there was, I guess I missed it.

PS As anti-town, I've lived for 4 days and been lynched 3 of them. I tend to be pretty obv!town as town (IMO), and I tend to be pretty much not as other alignments.
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
copper223
copper223
Jack of All Trades
copper223
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 4:43 am

Post by copper223 »

Maybe your town meta is too well defined, try consciously playing around with it next time.

Also if you don't enjoy playing as scum, the best thing you can do in open setups is to pretend you are in a multi-ball and you are town looking for the other team.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 5:09 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

I suppose I also have an annoying tendency to play against good wolf teams when I'm town. As town I've gone up against (in games that are done):

1) Harb and UDC, with Keirador as mafia-aligned 3p (all of them are REALLY good at wolfing on Playdip)
2) Zef and Anen (who I thought were both fine, it was just that the Anti-Plot hydra tore Zef a new one, and then the game was basically won)
3) KAAG / YA (KAAG seems to be really good at wolfing - YA was fine, but that was one that could have been won, though at least I nabbed KAAG)
4) RC / Ranger / Aero (then FA) (and I subbed in at MYLO)

I'm kinda looking forward to getting to play against BAD wolf teams at some point :lol:

As far as wolfing goes, i definitely haven't enjoyed it, although I don't know how much is wrapped in my simply being bad at it. Like this one, 20 posts after I come in, Radja's like "yep, found the killer" :facepalm: And I played in resistance (5p)... and I was getting tunneled by someone basically from the first page.

Also, the weird thing is, I don't even really understand my town meta enough to try and imitate it. When I'm town, I kinda just DO, and it comes across as obv!town for the most part. The times I try to fake it, I think it comes across as forced. The idea of trying to find the imaginary OTHER wolf team has definitely occurred to me, I just haven't been able to mentally train myself to get there.
Show
heuristically_alone
heuristically_alone
Goon
heuristically_alone
Goon
Goon

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 7:23 am

Post by heuristically_alone »

If you could play scum like you do town, I bet you could be an unstoppable scum player.

Also, my first post of the game was an attempt at a soft claim as billionaire bodyguard.
In post 16, heuristically_alone wrote:Wow I am super rich.... but not that rich.
heuristically_alone
heuristically_alone
Goon
heuristically_alone
Goon
Goon

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 7:29 am

In post 253, mhsmith0 wrote:I'll also lol so hard if it was copper and town rolled the dice big time pushing him to L-1 in RVS.
That would actually be a great plan to protect billionaire, especially if it's a wagon that the killer is already on.

If I am ever killer, I think I should suspect billionaire to be at least one of the RVS votes.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 8:25 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 305, heuristically_alone wrote:If you could play scum like you do town, I bet you could be an unstoppable scum player.

Also, my first post of the game was an attempt at a soft claim as billionaire bodyguard.
In post 16, heuristically_alone wrote:Wow I am super rich.... but not that rich.
Thanks for the compliment, I hope to someday be able to mentally get to that point.

As far as your post #1, what were trying to accomplish there? To me you were the #2 most obvious not billionaire player, and copper was #1 mainly because he was the RVS L-1 guy. Was the idea to not be suspected? Something else?
In post 306, heuristically_alone wrote:
In post 253, mhsmith0 wrote:I'll also lol so hard if it was copper and town rolled the dice big time pushing him to L-1 in RVS.
That would actually be a great plan to protect billionaire, especially if it's a wagon that the killer is already on.

If I am ever killer, I think I should suspect billionaire to be at least one of the RVS votes.
I would strongly advise against that plan, for two really important reasons:

1) There is a REAL chance of the town making a panicky reaction as the wagon gains speed that will spew the target
2) Even if that doesn't happen, optimal play is to hammer someone you know isn't the target once they get there, so if the killer was not already on the wagon, he could just lol hammer for the win.

I'd agree that being an RVS vote was suspicious. I was actually looking at RVS for how people were interacting and what seemed odd. As it turns out, suzune was RVS'd, at . I suspected that town would react weirdly to an RVS vote on the target, but it really didn't pop up there as being weird (or at least not obviously so). OTOH, VF was RVS'd twice and both times his voter was then voted, in what read to me as a plausible "panicked while trying not to look panicked" type reaction. See...

First Time
In post 4, Rhett99 wrote:VOTE: vonflare

For not confirming sooner!
In post 13, copper223 wrote:VOTE: Rhett99
I'm the only one that can have numbers in my name plus I like mine more.
In post 14, Rhett99 wrote:VOTE: Unvote
VOTE: copper223

Insta-vote back
In post 15, copper223 wrote::D I like it

VOTE: h_a

L-2
Second time
In post 20, Suzune wrote:I like playing with Von, the fact that he did not respond to his role pm makes me sad.

VOTE: VonFlare

Come in here...
In post 21, Realeo wrote:I am for one, officially jealous of Suzune's avie.

VOTE: Suzune
Obviously my read of RVS was wrong, but that's where my head was at. FWIW, I'd also that an underlying suspicion of my slot would be consistent with "well he obviously didn't know that it was VF" sort of read on the slot. Again, clearly wrong in retrospect, but IMO it was a plausible read of the situation.
Show
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 9:25 am

Post by Creature »

Thought about a doublevoter billionaire (though nobody will see there's a doublevoter until they realise someone with 1 less vote to majority gets lynched).
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 9:41 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 308, Creature wrote:Thought about a doublevoter billionaire (though nobody will see there's a doublevoter until they realise someone with 1 less vote to majority gets lynched).
I think that increases the swinginess in an inherently swingy game. I guess the question is whether that's a bug or a feature...
Show
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 1:35 pm

Post by Realeo »

I think mhsmith0's only fault in this game is taking games too seriously by over-analysing?

I think mhsmith0 covers the psychological war the correct way, but I think he forgot that even though we're trying to hide the billionaire; at the core, we're just having fun; hence the misreading of the RVS.
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

I'm mabye a serious player, but I'm capable of joke. Ok?
heuristically_alone
heuristically_alone
Goon
heuristically_alone
Goon
Goon

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Wed May 25, 2016 1:57 pm

In post 307, mhsmith0 wrote:In post 305, heuristically_alone wrote:
If you could play scum like you do town, I bet you could be an unstoppable scum player.

In post 16, heuristically_alone wrote:
Wow I am super rich.... but not that rich.

Thanks for the compliment, I hope to someday be able to mentally get to that point.

As far as your post #1, what were trying to accomplish there? To me you were the #2 most obvious not billionaire player, and copper was #1 mainly because he was the RVS L-1 guy. Was the idea to not be suspected? Something else?
I'm so used to getting lynched D1, that I was prepared to point out this post as a last ditch attempt at trying to prove that I was not the killer, though admittedly not the strongest of plans.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Wed May 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 311, heuristically_alone wrote:I'm so used to getting lynched D1, that I was prepared to point out this post as a last ditch attempt at trying to prove that I was not the killer, though admittedly not the strongest of plans.
The thing is, though, you win with the town, not you win by staying alive. I kinda wish I'd actually pushed harder on your slot; it just went against the (crappy) strategy I'd decided to go with. I possibly could have painted you as being survivalist, which is a pretty anti-town tendency to have. I mean, the killer basically has a few plausible tendencies:

1) Trying to survive
2) Trying to expose the target through active posting, voting, etc.
3) Trying to avoid making it obvious he doesn't know who the target is

If you fit into paradigm #1, then there's plausibly a case to be made.
Show
Radja
Radja
Serial Thriller
Radja
Serial Thriller
Serial Thriller

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:33 am

Post by Radja »

"I think mafia is the only thing that makes me angrier than driving" - Cheetory6
Radja
Radja
Serial Thriller
Radja
Serial Thriller
Serial Thriller

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:26 am

Post by Radja »

Bump
"I think mafia is the only thing that makes me angrier than driving" - Cheetory6

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”