Micro 648: Mystery Box Mafia - 't is gedaan!

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:11 am

Post by House »

In post 648, Sméagol wrote:
In post 647, House wrote:I think I am supposed to be banned from posting entirely, but the reply box was there so I did.

Either way, I won't be signing up for anymore games until cleared by crayons, to honor the spirit of the ban.
Well, you're part of the game, so if you have any other comments, I'd love to hear them.
As far as the mechanics go, I think the distro method was fun, but perhaps find a way to exchange modifiers separately from the roles so a hashtag modifier isn't instant doom for a decent role but costs them something important in order to use... such as lose your vote for the current day (or following day if swapped at night).
The apology that resulted in my indefinite ban:

https://tinyimg.io/i/ZX5Yjhw.png
Expedience
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:14 am

Post by Expedience »

yeah, I liked the game mechanic (even though I never actually swapped my role).
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:14 am

Post by Sméagol »

Some stuff I'd like to know:

Did you enjoy the game?

Would you like to play a sequel (hypothetically)?

Would you play this in mini format? Large? Which format would have your preference?

What do you think of this set-ups possible roles and mods, and their chances?

Which roles / mods would you like to remove if any?

And most of all, which roles / mods would you like to add?

All other comments / questions / criticism / whatever is welcome of course.

Like I said, for this first game I didn't want to go crazy, but for a second game.. I personally would want a bigger playerlist, so a potential sequel is definitely going to be at least a mini. And I'd include more roles / mods you'd see outside of normal. Perhaps even stuff I've posted in the grand idea thread. Actually, this could maybe benefit from a thread like that of its own.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
: none
/
running
/
coming up
: large normal (18p) / micro theme (9)
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:19 am

Post by House »

In post 652, Sméagol wrote:Did you enjoy the game?

Would you like to play a sequel (hypothetically)?

Would you play this in mini format? Large? Which format would have your preference?
Yes

Yes

Large would be awesome. The Neapolitan cops would be much more powerful over time because town would eventually realize that being vanilla is the only way to be confirmed town while alive.

Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:38 am

Post by Sméagol »

In post 650, House wrote:
In post 648, Sméagol wrote:
In post 647, House wrote:I think I am supposed to be banned from posting entirely, but the reply box was there so I did.

Either way, I won't be signing up for anymore games until cleared by crayons, to honor the spirit of the ban.
Well, you're part of the game, so if you have any other comments, I'd love to hear them.
As far as the mechanics go, I think the distro method was fun, but perhaps find a way to exchange modifiers separately from the roles so a hashtag modifier isn't instant doom for a decent role but costs them something important in order to use... such as lose your vote for the current day (or following day if swapped at night).
This is actually a bit against the spirit of what I had in mind. The whole point is that
most likely
you're getting a caveat with your role, though which one was the question. If you're lucky, it would only be something like an odd-night restriction, and if you're less lucky, it would be that or something like hated. It would make you carefully consider when to use the mystery box. The option is always there, but there was always the chance of getting something worse, which was the point. If I'd separate the distribution like you suggest, people would lose their disadvantages quickly, which I think would be less balanced, if there is such a thing with a game like this. Your only unlikely other option is the mod remover. If a townie would have it, you could just state you have a negative utility, hoping someone would remove it.

As for the hastag mod specifically, it was meant to be annoying. It doesn't affect your ability directly, but it would either give away your role to the mafia, or if you forgot (which proved very easy, haha, but totally expected), it would stop you from using it. Or both.. But since the set-up is random, this may or may not be an actual problem. You don't know if the mafia have anything to stop you apart from actually killing you, and you don't know if town has other means of helping you. Eventhough your role is out, you may not actually be the most optimal target for the mafia. And of course, you could actually
be
mafia, which would make this mod less of a problem.

That said, I originally also planned for a #imaraver (don't ask) post requirement, which would make other players question if the regular hashtag was a gambit or something. But I thought it didn't really add much. And now you know it's out there, you could fake it next game.
Last edited by Sméagol on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
Expedience
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:41 am

Post by Expedience »

Yes to the questions, but I think the censor role is messed up and it would annoy me if that got used.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:43 am

Post by House »

In post 654, Sméagol wrote:This is actually a bit against the spirit of what I had in mind. The whole point is that most likely you're getting a caveat with your role, though which one was the question.
My suggestion still presents a caveat, and one that most would say away from using.

Losing one's vote to rid a negative modifier seems a fair trade. Just my opinion, though.

Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:49 am

Post by Sméagol »

In post 656, House wrote:
In post 654, Sméagol wrote:This is actually a bit against the spirit of what I had in mind. The whole point is that most likely you're getting a caveat with your role, though which one was the question.
My suggestion still presents a caveat, and one that most would say away from using.

Losing one's vote to rid a negative modifier seems a fair trade. Just my opinion, though.
But it doesn't change the fact that
in the end
you have a big chance of ending up with a town full of unrestricted roles against the mafia. Maybe in a micro it would work, but in larger games with more days I don't see this working. The point is you remove a part of the random factor from the role distribution.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:53 am

Post by Sméagol »

In post 655, Expedience wrote:Yes to the questions, but I think the censor role is messed up and it would annoy me if that got used.
My idea behind it is it would add wifom to the game. It would be mostly useful to mafia, covering up scumslips, or trying to implicate someone. But, as with everything wifom, it could go either way, I assume that's your problem with it?
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:57 am

Post by Sméagol »

Also, I originally intended to separate mods in positive, negative and restrictive or neutral. With each having its own chance of being selected. I've abandoned it because the 1 mod system was easier to script, but I think I prefer it this way.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
Expedience
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:01 am

Post by Expedience »

No just it would be really annoying if someone's post got deleted, it's possible that it could be reconstructed from memory but that would be inconvenient. I guess it could be used to cover up scumslips but it's still not a fun mechanic. It's like if you made a game where you could only post ten characters in every post, it wouldn't add much to the game but it would be technically possible to play around.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:03 am

Post by House »

In post 657, Sméagol wrote:
In post 656, House wrote:

But it doesn't change the fact that
in the end
you have a big chance of ending up with a town full of unrestricted roles against the mafia. Maybe in a micro it would work, but in larger games with more days I don't see this working. The point is you remove a part of the random factor from the role distribution.
In the end, yes... But getting to that point compromises the ability to lynch scum, so it kinda evens out.

Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:28 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

I would have loved the censor mechanic (as scum). I would have likely censored something a townie said, that was maybe pointed out, or had the post # linked to it so there was lots of confusion!

Yes
Yes
I have not played mafia enough to know if it would be best played as min/large/etc

I totally get the point of vanilizer and neapolotin working together, but it was kinda hard without everyone always claiming their roles. If I played again, I think it might be in towns interest to always be talking about what everyone got out of the box.
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:53 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

gah, I got paralyzed by LYLO doubts. I should have pushed Vax harder today, but I was so worried about the 15-20% chance of N_M+Vax or offchance N_M+Expedience team, and I didn't want to vote NJAC even though he did keep pinging me.

Thanks for modding Smeagol! I'll add more thoughts later when I'm not at work, but I enjoyed this game
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:00 pm

Post by House »

Ah yes, thanks much Smeagol for the awesome game!

Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:51 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Fuck I'm sorry guys I completely forgot about being hated
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:22 pm

Post by Vaxkiller »

Your frownie face avatar says it all. How much longer do you have to use it for, N_M? Or are you keeping it?

(I saw you in the thread where the guy makes an avatar for you, I'm too scared to pull the trigger.)
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:23 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

I just have this one cos the picture amuses me, not sure how long I'll keep it, but not much longer
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:24 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Wait how is House posting?
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:09 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

lol N_M I was thinking about asking if you were still hated, but figured that such a question would only benefit scum and that if you were still hated you would have traded it or the mod would remove it in LYLO when scum insta-win was available
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:11 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 633, Vaxkiller wrote:GG everyone, out of curiosity guilty, would you have Vanilized me over the night if you guys decided to kill of NJAC?
if we had killed NJAC then it would have confirmed you as scum, so yes, but only if I still had the vanilla-ize role, assuming I didn't trade it for something better :] That loved mechanic would have screwed us over if I didn't vanillaize, I guess
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:18 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 652, Sméagol wrote:Would you like to play a sequel (hypothetically)?

What do you think of this set-ups possible roles and mods, and their chances?

Which roles / mods would you like to remove if any?

And most of all, which roles / mods would you like to add?
I would play again! I think mini would be good, 13 players would add some more exchanges/role madness hopefully. I don't do larges, they take too long for my taste. But yeah this mechanic is really cool in that it allows for a wide variety of potential roles in a relatively organized manner.

I like a lot of the roles, didn't spend much time thinking about chances yet. I agree to remove the "censor" role, that's really bastard. I'd consider adding a vengeful modifier, but only if it were more players.
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:26 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

also bahaha at #imaraver - Smeagol since your location says Netherlands, have you ever been to ADE? I want to go to that at some point in my life (I have been to Amsterdam before and I loved it there)
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:11 pm

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

In post 265, House wrote:Giggles can read me Ryan. She doesn't need your oh so expert advice.
:oops:

lmao i'm shit at this game, sorry for basically gamethrowing

scumteam did a pretty good job but that d1 lolhammer made the job easy :P
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
RyanK
RyanK
Goon
RyanK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:00 pm

Post by RyanK »

In post 262, RyanK wrote:
In post 258, House wrote:If you're gonna lynch me, quote pussyfooting around and do it.
I've got no power to conduct one, but your suggestion will definitely be considered by the others.
Or, maybe not.

Well Played, Scumteam. I would say that gambit is one of the most ingenious.

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”