Micro 838: A Miccro Normal - Game Over

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #900 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:57 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 899, Alisae wrote:I get the logic behind it.
I don't agree with it.
Same here.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #901 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:03 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Pers, consider if the BP was lynched early or the JK was killed ( oth possible once you know they're there) or the JK shot missing. You would have won this multiple times over!

We were lucky to have good players in both alits and they did well with the roles they got! This game would have been wholly different with different players and I think acum win out more than you believe.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #902 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 am

Post by Xtoxm »

and the mods keep trying to defend these ridiculous setups
its to the point that we have to play open or mountainous games to have any hope of balance
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #903 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 902, Xtoxm wrote:and the mods keep trying to defend these ridiculous setups
its to the point that we have to play open or mountainous games to have any hope of balance
Yeah, I'm hesitant to join closed games now. And as you know, that's not just me complaining as scum, I'm saying the same in a game in which I was town. Town won, but I don't feel good about it.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #904 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 902, Xtoxm wrote:and the mods keep trying to defend these ridiculous setups
Sorry but my sympathy here is minimal.

For all this whining about townsided closed setups I'm fairly sure scum still win more often than town in both my games and games in general. When I design setups I try to design them so that if one wolf absolutely pops off they can win the game for their team no matter what. I believe this game had that potential. I think people are quick to say that "wolves outplayed town" without having a true conception of the fact that it's really really easy to outplay an average town on MS.

For games to be balanced town has to sometimes win just off of PRs and that's part of the game and part of being a good scum is working around it.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #905 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 am

And alisae you baited me into replacing into your fucked up 2-7 nightless with tons of town power on top of that including a deathproof (Maria's role) a jailkeeper an autowin mechanism for town etc. That game was legit ~15-20 win equity for scum.

Like I'm fine just saying I understand balance on MS better than any of the people criticizing me and leaving it at that. If you enjoy opens more, fine. Play what you want.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #906 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:09 am

Post by Micc »

I see this setup as being similar to Jailkeeper+Tracker vs Rolecop in the Newbie queue. The town has a ton of power for a micro sized game and all the scum power is aimed at finding the town power. It leads to games where if the scumteam fails to find the town power they get behind despite the mislynches they’ve earned.

The best way for the scum team to mitigate that is to force counter claims and win them. In this game the scum team chose not to claim power during mass claim. Presumably they thought the town’s overall power was weak enough that they could still fight through. Turns out that wasn’t the case and they lost because of it.

At the end of the day balance is hard. It’s the biggest reason I sick mostly to newbie or other open setups as a mod, and really as a player too.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #907 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:27 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 905, RadiantCowbells wrote:And alisae you baited me into replacing into your fucked up 2-7 nightless with tons of town power on top of that including a deathproof (Maria's role) a jailkeeper an autowin mechanism for town etc. That game was legit ~15-20 win equity for scum.
lolbalance?
GTKAS
| here.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #908 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:30 am

In post 906, Micc wrote:I see this setup as being similar to Jailkeeper+Tracker vs Rolecop in the Newbie queue. The town has a ton of power for a micro sized game and all the scum power is aimed at finding the town power. It leads to games where if the scumteam fails to find the town power they get behind despite the mislynches they’ve earned.
Bluntly I'm failing to see the similarities

1) Jailkeeper / Tracker every night that goes on the town gets more information from both of those power roles
Jailkeeper / 2-Shot Bulletproof whether a kill occurs or not the town gets 0 information about what happened at night.

In the aforementioned newbie setup, if a kill goes off you have 2 players confirmed as not having committed the nightkill + the 2 prs leaving you with a pool of 3 players that contains at least 1 scum
in this game, kill goes off, kill doesn't go off, it says virtually nothing about whether any individual is scum or not.

Scum don't need to find town power in this setup any more than they need it in JK/6nilla/2goon.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #909 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 am

This game was in my mind balanced around scum frequently having to deal with a mislynch being created by the amount of kill prevention. I think that is fine setup wise
I think that is is perfectly reasonable for scum to have to mislynch half of the non-unlynchablePR townies to sweep in a game where town aren't getting any real information that a player is +equity scum
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #910 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:34 am

Also I would basically never set up a CC battle in this game as scum. Jailkeeper gets nightkilled, 2-shot bulletproof gets mislynched or brought to endgame.
it's unfortunate that scum kept having their actions fail, but that was a misplay by scum.

notably the neapolitan onto bulletproof interaction you complained about was heavily balanced by the fact that the scum proceeding to shoot the BP then almost always causes the jailkeeper to out and frequently claim a result on a townie
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #911 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:39 am

also xtoxm mountainous games are like... ridiculously scumsided

so if that's your standard for balance then yeah ok i guess you won't be happy with normal games
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #912 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Post by TTTT »

In post 873, TTTT wrote:the real game always happens in the post-game
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #913 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 pm

Post by TTTT »

Thanks Micc for doing a great job modding!

Thanks RC for designing the game!

I'm not smart enough to argue the merits of the setup. I also don't really care. It was fun just to play with this playerlist, even if I was scum.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #914 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:26 pm

Post by Alisae »

yeet I had fun
GTKAS
| here.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #915 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

I also had fun! Good playerlist :)
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #916 (ISO) » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Post by Micc »

:mrgreen: