Micro 942: Blood on the Clocktower - Game Over

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Micro 942: Blood on the Clocktower - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 12:42 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

Phase: End

Deadline: -

Player List:
insomnia
Raya36

Auro
Drixx
Elbirn
skitter30
Nahdia
Elements
Ame
Blatant Scum

Almost50
Firebringer

Spoiler: Alive
Elbirn
Nahdia
Elements

Spoiler: Nomination Available
Nahdia

Spoiler: Can be Nominated
Elbirn

Spoiler: Dead
skitter30: ghost vote used
Drixx: ghost vote available
Auro: ghost vote available
insomnia: ghost vote available
Almost50: ghost vote available
Firebringer: ghost vote available

Rules

Stolen from various sources and modified.

General

This rule set is not necessarily all inclusive. I reserve the right to add or modify rules as required.
Site-wide rules apply.
Do not impersonate the mod. Do not quote any PMs received from the mod. Do not pretend to quote a PM from the mod. This also applies to any PTs or other forms of game related communication outside the game thread.
Do not delete or edit your posts.
Do not talk about other ongoing games.
Please do not use hidden or encrypted text.
Anything in the thread directed at me should be in bold, so I know that it is.
Any PTs will be released at the end of the game.
This game has a zero tolerance policy with regard to personal attacks. If I feel someone has crossed the line, I will forcibly replace them.
WOT1 is in effect; if you have issues with another player who has /in'ed or replaced in, please PM me with your reservations and I'll see what I can do about it. Please do not attempt to abuse this for strategic purposes.
Play to win.

Activity

I will prod players who have not posted for a period of 36 hours. If prodded, you must post within 24 hours to avoid replacement.
Requiring repeated prods, or excessive prodging, will result in replacement.
Days will have a 7 day deadline, this will be paused each time a nomination occurs. If there would be less than 24 hours available upon the unpausing of this deadline, I will give 24 hours instead.
Night will be 48 hours.
I must see evidence of activity from all players during the night phase, for example by opening the night start PM.
Dead players are exempt from the usual activity requirements. I'll prod a dead player by public request of another player after 72 hours of inactivity, excluding night phases.
Last edited by Xtoxm on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:23 am, edited 72 times in total.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 12:44 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

Spoiler: Role Sheet

In a 9 player game there will be 5 townsfolk, 2 outsiders, 1 minion, 1 demon.
Ie, in total 7:2 Town:Evil.

Spoiler: Example Role Results
washerwoman wrote:Xtoxm or the worst is the washerwoman
librarian wrote:Xtoxm or the worst is the butler
invesigator wrote:Xtoxm or the worst is the poisoner
chef wrote:zero/one/two
empath wrote:zero/one/two
fortune teller wrote:positive/negative
undertaker wrote:Xtoxm is the washerwoman
ravenkeeper wrote:Xtoxm is the washerwoman
The Slayer can post
Slay: Xtoxm
in the game thread. Players who are not the slayer can also post this and I will respond to it as though they are the Slayer.
I acknowledge this action. Xtoxm dies.
I acknowledge this action. Nothing happens.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 12:46 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

Setup Specific Rules

Player Position

Some abilities in this game function based on who is next to who. For the purposes of this game, you are next to the player either side of you in the player list. The player list also loops round, so the player at the bottom of the list is next to the player at the top. Sign up order will not be used for this, I will perform a random shuffle on the player list prior to game start. This will then remain the same for the duration of the game.

Nominations and Day End

Rather than traditional voting, this game uses a nomination system.
Each player may only nominate one player per day.
Each player may only be nominated once per day.
Nominate by posting
Nominate: Xtoxm
. After a nomination, there will be 36 hours in which the nominated player can be voted to be executed (VOTE: / HURT: ) or spared (HEAL: ). If 50% of living players, rounded up, vote to execute, that player will be scheduled for exection at the end of the day.
Spare/Heal is the same as not voting and letting the timer run out. It's a way to represent intent not to execute.
If all players have cast their vote then the 36 hour period will end sooner.
Even if a player has reached the execution threshold, players may continue nominating to try and tie or exceed the number of votes.
Players may self nominate. This still uses your one nomination for the day.
At the end of the day, one of two things will happen: 1) The player with the unique highest number of execution votes will be executed, providing this number is equal to 50% of alive players or higher.
2) Nobody will be executed. This will occur if: There is a tie for highest number of execution votes, or nobody has reached the 50% of alive players execution threshold.
Day will end if all alive players have used their nomination.
Day will end if deadline is reached and no nomination has been made.
Deadline will be paused when a valid nomination is made.
If players are ready for day to end earlier, players still able to nominate may state
I am not nominating today
, to accelerate the conditions under which day can end.
There are certain roles abilities that can cause a day to end early, for example the Virgin's power.
The first nomination of a day will not be processed until 24 hours have passed. You can still make a nomination before this, and it will be valid, I just won't process it until 24 hours. This is to allow some time for private chats to be made, etc.

Private Chats

All players are entitled to have a neighborhood with another player, providing both parties agree. They must be public knowledge to the room, and requested in the game thread, and then agreed to by the other party. You cannot simply send a PM to another player.
Request a neighorhood by, for example, posting
Request hood with Xtoxm
. Xtoxm would then need to quote the request and say
Accept
, and I will create the neighborhood.
You can request a hood with any number of players, providing all players you wish to have a hood with accept the request.
If a request is accepted during a nomination period, the new PT will not be made until the nomination has concluded.
All neighborhoods will be locked at the end of a day. If you want to the make same neighborhood on a subsequent day, it must be requested and accepted again in the main thread.

Dead Players

Role and alignment is not revealed on death.
Role abilities stop working when a player dies.
In most cases, kills resolve first, so roles that can act will not work if they die in the same night, unless the role states otherwise.
All dead players are treestumps.
Dead players cannot nominate.
Dead players are still allowed to participate in
Private Chats
All dead players have a ghost vote that may be used
once
in the game to vote to execute at a nomination stage. Voting to spare will not use up your ghost vote.
Ghost votes do not affect the execution threshold, which is based on alive players.
Dead players can also unvote, their ghost vote will only be spent if they are voting to Execute when the nomination ends.
Dead players who have already spent their ghost vote in a previous nomination cannot place a vote and will not appear in the undecided voter list.

Role Stuff

The Demon in play will be the Imp.
The Demon and Minion will know who each other are, but do not share a PT.
The Demon is not informed which role the Minion has.
The Demon is informed of 3 town roles (townsfolk or outsider) that are not in play.
The Demon may choose to kill itself at night. If it does this, it will die, and the Minion will become the Demon in its place. The Demon cannot kill itself if the Minion is already dead.

Win conditions

Town wins if there is no
Demon
alive.
Evil wins if there are 2 players left alive and one of them is a
Demon
, or nothing can prevent this.
Yes, there are scenarios where it's possible for the game to end on Day 1.

Moderator Influence

This game, by design, has subtle moderator influence.
Here is an example of mod influence that is possible:
There is an Imp, Poisoner, and Recluse all next to each other in the player list. Town has a Chef that will learn how many pairs of Evil players are next to each other in the player list. The Recluse role, as written, can register as either Town or Evil. If the Recluse registers as Evil, the Chef will learn that there are two pairs of Evil next to each other, and would know the only possible situation is that the Recluse and both Evil players are all in a row. In this scenario I may have the Recluse register as good, to avoid town beginning the game with an overpowered piece of information.
Here is an example of mod influence that is not possible:
The demon's kill fails tonight for no reason because im a bastard mod lolol.
The role distribution is guaranteed to be random.

Bastard Elements

The Drunk is a town player who has a different role to that on their role card. Any player in the townsfolk category might actually be the drunk and not know about it. Their ability does not work.
The Fortune Teller has one player who is a 'red herring' to them. Neither the red herring nor the Fortune Teller know who it is.
The Spy is an evil player who can register as good to investigative roles, including appearing to be a specific townsfolk or outsider.
If the Saint is ever executed, the game ends in an evil win.
The Poisoner will cause abilities to malfunction. Poisoned investigative roles would still receive information, but it may be incorrect.
The Butler is expected to self-police. If you make an illegal vote, i'll PM you and ask you to unvote. Mistakes happen, it's okay. I expect you not to intentionally flout the spirit of the role. The Butler can use Heal/Spare without restriction, as it's equivalent to not voting.

Further Information

Full rules of Blood on the clocktower: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jb3SIs ... jwr9o/view
Trouble Brewing almanac: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UKEjm_ ... J5DrJ/view
There are no Travelers or Fabled in this game.
Last edited by Xtoxm on Sun May 24, 2020 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 12:51 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

The game is night start, please confirm your role and alignment, and send me your first night action if you have one.
The Imp does not kill on the first night.

All roles sent except Hoctac, who needs replacing. Day will start 24 hours after a replacement is found.

I've been asked if it's possible for two players to have the same role.
Answer: No, every player has a unique role.

skitter30 takes the vacant slot. As no one was sent a role pm prior, i'm considering her as a player from the start in the player list.
(expired on 2020-05-22 10:29:11)
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 3:41 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Your beloved storyteller, Xtoxm, is brutally murdered. There is a Demon in town.

Day begins!
As a reminder, I won't start the first nomination for the first 24 hours of day. A nomination made in this time will still be valid.
Day will end in [timer removed] if no nomination has been made.
Last edited by Xtoxm on Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 3:42 am

Post by Auro »

Strategy Guide

My received role is
Virgin
. I may be
Drunk
, or
Poisoned
. I am confirmable if I'm actually un-poisoned Virgin.

If everyone trusts that I'm town, I create a PT individually with
every other player
, and they fess up their role to me in the PT. The Minion does not receive a fakeclaim, and Demon has to communicate it to them - since the only PT they will have is with me, they are forced to choose a claim themselves which may collide with a town role.
There's a 40% chance of that happening
, which is already beneficial to town!

I can piece together information I receive in terms of roles and N0 information they receive, and attempt to logically deduce the identities of the Evil with high accuracy. Even if I cannot, I believe that I can direct night actions towards effective targets, help plan out (or at least listen to) bluffs/gambits privately, and otherwise let the day play out.

If you are worrying that I am a scum mastermind taking town along for a ride, I can choose someone to nominate me, or nominate myself. The advantage of the former is that in the case that I'm not drunk or poisoned, we have
confirmed town roles (barring the nominator being a Spy, but in that case they ded anyway so woo). The advantage of the latter is that this rules out an Evil person nominating me and thus make me non-confirmable. This will be a waste of one lynch, though, and we have only 2 lynches to waste on town.

FAQ

1. Auro, breaking the game this way is no fun!

We can play the game again later with modified rules. I'm going for the win.

2. Auro, you're a stupid player and I don't trust your capabilities! I don't want to let the game's outcome rest upon a single player.

I'll give it my best effort! It's a dominant strategy given the rule tweaks here from usual BoTC.

3. Why isn't this a gamebreaking strategy for IRL BoTC?

I'd googled for this strategy and turns out I wasn't the first to think of it at all: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/22 ... 5#31941945. This addresses certain weaknesses in the strategy.
However, there is a major difference between IRL BoTC and forum. IRL BoTC
doesn't have unlimited neighborhoods
, and is also greatly time-limited. You can see who's whispering to whom. People can't constantly privately talk to the Virgin. None of those are present in this version of BoTC, where I can
continuously actively talk and strategize and solve
across 8 parallel hoods. Scum will not be able to strategize together, making their job much more difficult. The article also makes some other incorrect assumptions about this strategy which were pointed out in comments.

Do NOT create a neighborhood with another player right now. I will treat that as a scumclaim.

Fixed formatting~
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 3:47 am

Post by Nahdia »

Alright, I'll bite.

Requesting PT with Auro

I had given some thought to strategy as well, though I didn't do much research. I was gonna jump in and say I think we should consider having the Outsiders claim. The possibilities are:

1 claim: That person is clear, we know someone is drunk.
2 claims: Either one of them is scum and there is a drunk, or both are the Outsiders.
3 claims: We know there are no drunks, we know one of the three is scum.
4 claims: As above, but everyone who didn't claim is clear.

Thoughts?
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 3:47 am

Post by Auro »

Also do
not
make any nominations right now.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 3:48 am

Post by Auro »

In post 6, Nahdia wrote:Thoughts?
I would prefer being the sole person to have this knowledge and make the appropriate deductions!
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 3:50 am

Post by Auro »

In post 6, Nahdia wrote:Requesting PT with Auro
As a sign of good faith, I'll wait till everyone's on board with this! :)
Raya36
Raya36
Mafia Scum
Raya36
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 3:56 am

Post by Raya36 »

I'm alright with that plan
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 3:58 am

Post by skitter30 »

i think i'm pretty good with that plan. can you give me just a few hours to like ~ process ~it and think it over since i'm not super familar with the mechanics and i'm nominally at work rn

first caveat that comes to mind is that while auro is probably town i'd want him to be nominated by someone else to make sure what he's doing is town-motivated

also
@xtoxm regular vla fridays and saturdays etc
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:01 am

Post by skitter30 »

i woulnd't mind that person being me either, i think
Show
Hiatus once more.

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 am

Post by Auro »

In post 11, skitter30 wrote:i'd want him to be nominated by someone else to make sure what he's doing is town-motivated
The problem with this is that mafia would want to nominate me (thus guaranteeing it would fail, making me non-confirmable).
I would have a guarantee of dying via self-nomination (if I'm not drunk or poisoned).
I would still
prefer against
having to confirm myself since it's basically one of the available town executions, but obviously I'd understand if a few people want me to.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:07 am

Post by Nahdia »

In post 8, Auro wrote:
In post 6, Nahdia wrote:Thoughts?
I would prefer being the sole person to have this knowledge and make the appropriate deductions!
I see the value in this, but I'm not sure I agree it's the best approach?

Also, are you suggesting no one
ever
has a PT with anyone besides you?
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

-Zaphkael, 2020
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:08 am

Post by Auro »

Why do you not think it's the best approach? I will be confirmed town; and I'd use my judgment to out information such as {number of outsiders} to town.

Yes, I am suggesting that the only PTs to exist should be between me and someone else.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:09 am

Post by skitter30 »

right, sorry, i don't have all the nuances down yet

is there a drawback to you nominating yourself? like from my pov barring you being drunk or poisoned
Don't we have the oppurtunity to nominate as many people as we want during the phase?

actually i reread the rules and i get it, if we conf-you via a town member dying that's the execution for the phase and the phase ends.

got it, sorry, i needed to think this through aloud

i guess i'm not positive i like giving you the sole knowledge of what's going on in the game without knowing if you're town cuz if you are demon/minion this can screw us over pretty bad
(also i guess i'm just not great at giving over control to make decisions like this)
Show
Hiatus once more.

Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:10 am

Post by Auro »

The intent behind it is to block scum co-ordinating. Also, Demon has the available fakeclaims whereas the Minion doesn't, so Demon would have to pass on that information to the Minion via a PT.
By restricting PTs this way, Demon won't be able to; thus forcing Minion to guess at a fakeclaim to me, which has 40% chance of collision with another town claim.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:11 am

Post by Auro »

@Skitter30: However, if I *do* die via self-nomination, you will co-operate, yes?
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:12 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 18, Auro wrote:@Skitter30: However, if I *do* die via self-nomination, you will co-operate, yes?
yeah but if you're dead you can't coordinate things ?
Show
Hiatus once more.

Raya36
Raya36
Mafia Scum
Raya36
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:12 am

Post by Raya36 »

I feel like this is too strong of a stance for a demon/minion to take?

Auro, have you ever done anything like this in a game before?
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:13 am

Post by Nahdia »

Auro wrote:Why do you not think it's the best approach? I will be confirmed town; and I'd use my judgment to out information such as {number of outsiders} to town.

Yes, I am suggesting that the only PTs to exist should be between me and someone else.
I just... idk. I think having more public information for the sake of scumhunting is favorable.

I still like my Outsider claim strategy to determine if there is a Drunk in play or not and see if we get clears. It's possible we end up with two claims and thus less information. But if we carefully structure the order of claims, we can potentially end up in a favorable position.
skitter30 wrote:
In post 18, Auro wrote:@Skitter30: However, if I *do* die via self-nomination, you will co-operate, yes?
The dead still participate in this game.

-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:14 am

Post by Nahdia »

Honestly, I think my hangup with the strategy more than anything is that it doesn't sound like fun :\ but I guess it does make sense.

-Zaphkael, 2020
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:14 am

Post by Auro »

In post 19, skitter30 wrote:
Of course I can - dead are just treestumped with one vote remaining for use through the game, and can continue to create and converse in PTs.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 21, Nahdia wrote:The dead still participate in this game.
ah! ok
auro you'd be willing to die to if it means people will trust you and follow the strategy?
Show
Hiatus once more.

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”