Micro 958: Achievement Unlocked Mafia (Game Over)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Professor Moriarty
Professor Moriarty
Goon
Professor Moriarty
Goon
Goon

Micro 958: Achievement Unlocked Mafia (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:56 am

Post by Professor Moriarty »

Micro 958: Achievement Unlocked Mafia

Moderators: Something_Smart and the worst

Lovingly based on the game Achievement Unlocked 2, by John Cooney (jmtb02).

Alive Players:

Spoiler:
  1. GeorgeBailey,
    Mafia 1-Shot Strongman
    , survived

Dead Players:

Spoiler:
  1. Dumb and Dumber,
    Town Doctor
    , hammered Day 1
  2. Hayasaka,
    Vanilla Townie
    , killed Night 1
  3. Porkens,
    Town Tracker
    , hammered Day 2
  4. Kanna,
    Vanilla Townie
    , killed Night 2
  5. NorwegianboyEE,
    Mafia Goon
    , hammered Day 3
  6. Legolass,
    Vanilla Townie
    , killed Night 3
  7. Isis,
    Vanilla Townie
    , hammered Day 4
  8. Tipsy,
    Vanilla Townie
    , endgamed

Spoiler: VoteCount Settings
Elephants don't have time for automatic votecounters.
Last edited by Professor Moriarty on Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Modding hydra of Something_Smart and the worst.
"because you're the worst... and you're smart." -Haschel Cedricson
Professor Moriarty
Professor Moriarty
Goon
Professor Moriarty
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:08 am

The Rules:

1. All site rules apply.
2. Be nice. Mafia games can get heated but remember never to attack the person.
3. Play to your wincon.
4. Days are approximately 10 days long, nights are approximately 48 hours long.
5. Failure to post at least once every 36 hours will result in a prod. If you do not pick up your prod in 24 hours, or if we have to prod you four times total or twice in one day phase, we will look for a replacement.
6. Please put votes in this format: VOTE: Something_Smart. Bolded votes are allowed (
Vote: Something_Smart
), but we're more likely to miss them. In case you don't know, you can vote with:

Code: Select all

[v]Something_Smart[/v]

and unvote with

Code: Select all

[uv][/uv]

Unvotes are not necessary to change your vote.
7. No vote trickery. Votes inside spoiler tags and obviously broken quotes will not be counted. Don't attempt to confuse other players over whether your vote was valid.
8. If more than half the players are voting for a player, then that player is hammered and removed from the game, and the day will end. If the deadline is reached before a hammer occurs, the day will end without anyone dying.
9. If you have a question for us, put it in bold and say
@Mod
or
@Professor Moriarty
. If it's not something you want made public, feel free to shoot us a PM. Please send all PM's to this hydra, rather than to our individual heads. If you'd like to copy our heads in, that's fine too. If you need us in a pinch, you can reach us on Discord under
Tom#4827
(the worst) and
Something_Smart#8109
(Something_Smart).
This spooky shade of orange (#4F2200) is the mod color.
Do not use it. Do not impersonate us.
11. Do not discuss this game in any other thread except in PT's created specifically for this game. Do not discuss any other ongoing game in this thread.
12. Do not quote any out-of-thread communications with us or with any other player.
13. Do not post if you are dead.
14. Do not pretend to break any of these rules. Pretending to break a rule is punishable just as harshly as actually breaking it.
15. Our word is law. Just because it is not stated here does not mean that it is acceptable. We are generally nice people (except for the duck), and will give you a warning if you do something we don't approve of, but it's always better to ask than risk the consequences (see rule 9).
16. All private topics have daytalk. Any private topics are welcome to request a Discord server.
17. Mafia members can carry out the factional kill and use a personal action in the same night.
18. Sample VT role PM:
Spoiler: Vanilla Townie
Vanilla TownieHelloaphant, XXXX, and welcome to Micro 958: Achievement Unlocked Mafia. Your role is
Vanilla Townie.

You have no special powers.

You win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member remains alive.

Please respond to this PM indicating you understand your role and your win condition.
The game thread is here. Your Dashboard PT is here (link).
Professor Moriarty
Professor Moriarty
Goon
Professor Moriarty
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:32 am

The Game

Helloaphant!

I suppose you're wondering why I've gathered you all here today. The reason is very simple: you nine elephants are the prototype testers for our new patent-pending Achievement System. This achievement system can be inserted into any sad achievement-less game, and it will instantly introduce as many achievements as you could possibly wish for. Though, we haven't worked out the bugs yet, so there may be a few side effects...

Anyway! The way this game works is, you'll be playing a mafia game, but in addition, there will be a list of fifty achievements that you are competing for! And when I say competing, I mean that— each achievement can be given out to only one player. First come, first serve. Every player will have a Dashboard private topic where they'll be notified of any achievements they've unlocked. But of course there's a catch. There's always a catch! You don't know what the achievements are for until you've, well, achieved them. You'll only know the names. So it's up to you to use your powers of reason and deduction to... ah, who am I kidding. Just stumble around and try random things and you'll eventually get most of them.

But of course, what good would these achievements be without a Grand Prize? Whoever has the most achievements by the time lylo comes around will win the fabulous prize of having their alignment publicly confirmed! Yay! Well, unless you're mafia, then it's not really a prize... Hmm, I'll have to talk to the engineers about that one.

Well, I'm not gonna stand here and talk your trunks off. Get exploring and go unlock those achievements like your life depends on it. Because maybe it does!

Spoiler: Setup Specific Rules (legal insisted)
  1. There is a list of 50 achievements that are unlockable. This list will be posted at the beginning of each day, and achievements that have already been taken will be marked as such.
  2. The first player to meet the secret criteria of an achievement will unlock that achievement.
  3. Each player has a Dashboard PT that only they have access to. When a player unlocks an achievement, we will notify them in this PT. It will not be publicly announced (though at the start of the next day, that achievement will be shown as taken). Mafia members do not have separate Dashboards; they just use the Mafia topic, which is open at all times.
  4. At the dawn of the first day in which the town outnumbers the mafia by only 1 (lylo), the player with the most achievements unlocked will have their alignment publicly confirmed. If there's a tie, it will be broken by the first player to reach the count they have.
  5. The setup is confirmed to be
    7 Town
    versus
    2 Mafia
  6. There are no achievements for breaking the game rules nor the site rules. Please do not break any rules in an attempt to unlock an achievement.
Professor Moriarty
Professor Moriarty
Goon
Professor Moriarty
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:15 am

Role PM's have been sent out! We will start when 8/9 players confirm. Confirmed: 8/9

Here is the achievement list that you've all been waiting for:

Spoiler: Achievements
1. Agatha Christie Fan
2. Antihero
3. Back & Forth
4. Basically a god of scumplay
5. Beetlejuice

6. Blackjack
7. Build a Wall
8. Capital Offense
9. Comfy Fencepost
10. Confession

11. Counterproductive
12. Dank
13. Deathwish
14. Dirty Mouth
15. Egyptian

16. The Feeling's Mutual
17. FTFM
18. Gotcha
19. Gravitas
20. Help!

21. Hyperactive
22. In Sheep's Clothing
23. Indecisive
24. It's a Party Now
25. Jargon

26. Just Hug It Out
27. Just Start the Game Already
28. Look over there
29. Like cattle
30. Overexcited

31. Pedant
32. The Penguin Award
33. The Penguin Award, Part II
34. Press F to pay respects
35. RAGE

36. Raise your dongers!
37. [REDACTED]
38. Reichenbach Falls
39. Repeating Yourself
40. Revisionist

41. Rule-Follower
42. Stop.
43. Terse
44. Understudy
45. Validation

46. Watch where you point that thing!
47. What's-His-Face
48. The Wizard of Oz
49. You broke the internet
50. You Never Saw That
Professor Moriarty
Professor Moriarty
Goon
Professor Moriarty
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:02 pm

VC 1.0
Not voting (9)- Dumb and Dumber, Tipsy, Porkens, Hayasaka, GeorgeBailey, Kanna, Isis, Legolass, NorwegianboyEE

With 9 alive it takes 5 to reach a majority.

Deadline is in (expired on 2020-07-22 08:45:00)

Mod notes: Thank you for confirming so fast!
Tipsy
Tipsy
Goon
Tipsy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Post by Tipsy »

first lol

VOTE: dumb and dumber
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Post by Porkens »

OH MY HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT’S RVS!!!!! DON’T OMGUS OR YOU ARE GOING TO LAMIST YOURSELVES INTO AN SR! VOTE: PORKENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Post by Porkens »

UNVOTE:
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Post by Porkens »

Hey everyone, sorry about that, I was just testing a few theories. I hope we have a good game here! When I first saw this game in the list I thought “wow what a cool idea!” And I’m really glad to be in it.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Post by Porkens »

Anyway I thought it might be cool to start this game off by talking about the nature of scum RVS. As far as I know, this isn’t a subject that has really been studied that much and I think it would be a good avenue of scholarly pursuit for any of you students out there.

So here’s the basic theory: Everyone, town or scum, have to make a first post. So it’s a relevant data point if you are trying to find how scum and town act differently. I’m sure there’s some kind of controlling question or thesis we could articulate here, but I don’t think I need to go into that much formality.

Heres some background: I’ve always enjoyed the unique elements of the RVS stage of the game. IT’s a special time before people start to suspect each other for *reasons* and it’s also a little awkward because everyone is trying to “cool their way into the party.”

I’ve done a little bit of observation as I’ve played Mafia over the years, and anecdotally I have had some success pegging scum from their very first 1-3 posts in the “RVS” stage. Here are some of the observations I’ve made, for example:

The player who explicitly sites “randomness” as the cause of their vote is often scum. I think the motivation for “I flipped a coin” or “I rolled a die” vote reasoning is an attempt to keep all motivation a secret and, theoretically, therefore away from scrutiny. Interestingly, there is a site rule about no use of provable randomness, which would be a good point of inquiry if one were to take up this course of study.

Another particularly scummy type of RVS vote, and I wish I had a name to use as a handle for this, is the person who uses someone else’s reasoning to place a vote. I can’t think of a better way to explain than the following:

Example 1
A vote B for *reasons*
C votes B with “yeah! Those *reasons* are good!”

In the above, I don’t think it’s really the vote that is scummy but the agreement with the *reasons* which, by the nature of RVS, are bullshit. These types of votes also may appear to absolve C from scrutiny of the reasons. However, I think this is a less reliable tell than the first example.

Other types of RVS entries/votes could be described:

There’s the first post that just says “ego” or “this game” or something like that. Personally I haven’t quantified that so it’s very null to me right now. This is the type of situation where statistical analysis might come in handy.

There’s the friendly “hey everybody! Lets have a good game!” “Hi oh wow I am so happy to be in a ASDF game” or “Nice to see blah blah again”. Again, not much personal evaluation on this so it would be part of an analysis for discovery.

There are some interesting pure vote patterns that I think would be worth looking at as well, such as OMGUS:

A votes B
B votes A

Or the human centipede

A votes B
C votes A
B votes C

There’s also the person who completely ignores what’s going on around them. There may be two or three votes on one player, and then the fourth player lays a vote on an irrelevant player - avoiding the knot of votes all together.

Another area that this study could start to look into is the meta nature of RVS itself. I think there is a fairly identifiable line when RVS “ends,” so who ends it (scum or town) could be another interesting data point.

There are associative trends we may or may not find as well. Do scum partners tend to vote for each other or avoid voting for each other? How about following RVS wagons on each other?

Then of course there is voting without explanation and posting without voting.

I personally believe that for the most part scum try to “Fit in” with whatever is going on with the game, and outlandish bursts typically come from town unless there is a pressure reason that force scum into action. However, scum will occasionally do this to mimic town, and of course it always comes down to who is in the game. Notwithstanding the latter, I believe it would be interesting to try and codify “fitting in” during RVS and running it through statistical analysis.

Well, anyway, as you can tell, there is a lot of room for work in this study. Classifying types of entries, coding them for analysis, and compiling data from hundreds of games. Then, of course, would be the more complicated
patterns
of the first few posts, which would quickly spiral out of control in number and variety.

To mitigate this, it might be good to consider a players first 3 posts as their “entrance” or some such aggregation, to reduce the complexity of the data analysis. Then again, a real statistician would probably enjoy more data points. But that ain’t me!

I think this study would have some ease to it as well though: Since all the data is in the first couple pages usually, collecting it would be less challenging than scraping data from an entire game. While the latter is not impossible, the former could even be done manually to a certain extent. Of course automation would be preferred but someone without access to coding would be able to approach this fairly easily and it wouldn’t be too hard to get a small set of data in a few days.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this research as a topic of study, I’d be happy to collaborate. I also have a more complicated study in my mind involving the entire game, but that would take a lot more technical work and it would be good to do this one first as a pilot for the larger study. I imagine this kind of project could be used for a scholarly paper, and I really do think it’s worth looking in to if people are at all interested or in need of a topic.
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Post by Kanna »

Beetlejuice
spirited away thanks for the good memories

"My heart is shaped like a harp with strings that go wiggle wiggle when someone is acting like an earnest bucketheaded townie incapable of wrong" ~ Isis
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Post by Kanna »

NOOOOOI

"My heart is shaped like a harp with strings that go wiggle wiggle when someone is acting like an earnest bucketheaded townie incapable of wrong" ~ Isis
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Post by Porkens »

VOTE: unvote
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:07 pm

Post by Kanna »

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

This one’s mine, please

Tipsy
Tipsy
Goon
Tipsy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:08 pm

Post by Tipsy »

lol
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:09 pm

Post by Kanna »

Cattlevote

VOTE: Dumb and Dumber

Hayasaka
Hayasaka
Goon
Hayasaka
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Post by Hayasaka »

Hayasaka
Hayasaka
Goon
Hayasaka