Mafiascum Quicktopic Archival / Indexing Project

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
borkjerfkin
Xenophile

Pronoun: He
Pronoun (Update): He/Him

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:13 pm

Hello!

Discussion in the Quicktopic Shutting Down thread has led to a community driven effort to archive the vast majority of QTs used in MS games over the years, and as a result, we now have a searchable visualization of the data from those topics, sourced from combing public MS posts and other opt-in contributions from individual users.

Shoutout to Cabd, who primarily engineered and supported this effort, but a huge thanks goes out to everyone who contributed ideas / testing / feedback to the process as well.

Please watch this space for instructions on how to access the archive.
beefycheese

Cabd
Every Breath You Take

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:51 pm

And that's my cue!

This project contains a preserved copy of every post in any Quick Topic that was in a public-facing area of the site. Feel free to bookmark this URL. As content is updated or tags are added, the underlying link remains the same.

If you have feedback about any of the content tagging, or have additional quick topics that you feel should be preserved, please reach out here or via the MafiaScum discord server, tagging me appropriately. If you have a batch of Quicktopics not present in this data set, please submit them to me as a .csv file, one url per line, as quickly as possible; as the site's shutdown is imminent.

Many thanks to my beta testers and fellow scummers that worked to help preserve and tag this content.

Quicktopic Preservation Link: https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoi ... IsImMiOjN9
Rule Breaker: a weapon that materializes the divinity of the witch of betrayal. It will find your ribs eventually.

Cabd
Every Breath You Take

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:51 pm

Changelog:

Version 1.0 - 11/29/2021

-General Public Release

-Added Year Slicer to Content Search

-Added additional context to landing page

Version 1.1 - 12/1/2021

-Added an additional search page to help with finding QTs with irregular names

Version 1.2 - 12/8/2021

-Added additional QTs to the database provided by N, as well as some of my own that didn't make it in

-Added a function to auto-remove duplicate lines in case a player submits a QT already present
Last edited by Cabd on Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rule Breaker: a weapon that materializes the divinity of the witch of betrayal. It will find your ribs eventually.

zoraster
Disorganized Crime

Pronoun (Update): He/Him

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:11 pm

Appreciate all the hard work, cabd

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:07 pm

Outstanding thanks a ton.

Kilgamayan
Goon

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:17 pm

\o/
Well, this game happened. ~ Edible

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:14 pm

This is so cool. Thank you.
i'm still xofelf, just yellower and fluffier.

RH9
Mafia Scum

Pronoun (Update): He

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:31 am

As you can notice in the screenshot below, I think that the word 'blame' was mistaken for the ableist 'lame'.

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:39 am

Something something Scunthorpe Problem something

SirCakez
Is A Lie

Pronoun (Update): he/him

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:17 pm

amazing work! this is so important
Brian Skies - "I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup."
--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!

Kilgamayan
Goon

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:57 pm

In post 7, RH9 wrote:As you can notice in the screenshot below, I think that the word 'blame' was mistaken for the ableist 'lame'.

This is because of how the filter works. It searches for the text string "lame", and if it finds that text string in a post, that post gets flagged as potentially ableist, regardless of what the surrounding characters are. Posts with "flame" in them, for example, would also get flagged for the same reason.

There are likely a decent number of false positives overall - one of the text strings covered by Drugs and Alcohol is "high" - but false positives are preferable to letting negatives slip through. This is also one of the reasons why the qualifier "Potentially" is at the top of the list of trigger categories.

Cabd
Every Breath You Take

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:07 pm

I could have it search for a whitespace character at the start as in instead of "lame" I could search " lame " but it still will have some false positives

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:12 pm

Would it be possible to manually sort these out on a case by case basis? I'd be willing to scroll through stuff and try to sort out false negatives if that's doable.

Cabd
Every Breath You Take

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:15 pm

It's over 300,000 records, dude.

There's hobbyist work, and then there's spending an entire 40 hour workweek on shit most people are gonna look at once or twice as a novelty then forget about.

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:23 pm

Saying it that way does put it into perspective.

GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:02 am

This is really cool. I never knew about QTs. It's almost like watching a bunch of old vhs tapes, a lot of familiar faces.

Changing date range to: 2020 to 2021 is kinda depressing. Gives a bit of insight on why they shut down I guess.

SirCakez
Is A Lie

Pronoun (Update): he/him

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:16 am

I used to use quicktopics all the time on my original forum mafia site (which doesn't even run forum mafia anymore ;_;)
what a throwback
Brian Skies - "I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup."
--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!

Kilgamayan
Goon

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:03 pm

In post 16, SirCakez wrote:I used to use quicktopics all the time on my original forum mafia site (which doesn't even run forum mafia anymore ;_;)
what a throwback

Same! I have lots of Mafia QTs from 2009 to 2013, then one in 2015, then a couple in 2020. I'll be sad to see it go.

xofelf
Miss Mash

Pronoun: They
Pronoun (Update): they/them

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:28 pm

They were really helpful back when we didn't have PTs at all.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to know a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Pronoun: She

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:46 pm

From the change log:

In post 2, Cabd wrote:Version 1.1 - 12/1/2021
-Added an additional search page to help with finding QTs with irregular names

We tried some test cases today that would mimic how people reading old games might want to access the related QuickTopics.

In general, what we find in game threads are just QuickTopic URLS. Whatever title the Mods gave their QuickTopics usually weren't written out in the game thread. The QuickTopic title in the archive may or may not contain part of the game title itself. And players may not have used their mafiascum user names in the QuickTopic. So the Page 2 scroll list of QuickTopic titles or the Page 3 user name search may or may not help you find the QuickTopics that belong to the specific games you're researching.

Cabd created a fourth page for the app to make it easier to find QuickTopics with the minimal information you might have from a specific game. The page has four new search boxes that can help you find the QuickTopic in the haystack: URL search, Topic Name search, User Name Search, and Post Text search. You can use all, some, or one of these search boxes to find QuickTopic titles that might be what you are looking for.

You can use Page 4 to narrow down the Quicktopic name(s) you're looking for, and then use Page 2 to scroll through the alphabetical list of topic titles and click the relevant titles to filter down to just the posts that go with the QuickTopic(s) you want to read.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

On the path to becoming yourself, you'll need to choose alignment over validation from others, peace over addictive chaos, and being misunderstood over false acceptance. --TheHolisticPsychologist
Idic

skitter30
Last Laugh

Pronoun: She

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:40 am

Wow this is amazing! Thank you for archiving this!
Show

N
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 pm

is there a quick way to grab all the topics I have links to? I logged into qt and was going to right-click/copy-link but there's way more than I expected
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy (go stick your head in a pig)

Cabd
Every Breath You Take

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:25 pm

In post 21, N wrote:is there a quick way to grab all the topics I have links to? I logged into qt and was going to right-click/copy-link but there's way more than I expected

Unfortunately not. You can check the list of QTs we already have though and rule sending those out using the searching tools on pages three and four.

N
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:07 am

I found an extension that seems to do the job, if anyone else is interested

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dg/related
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy (go stick your head in a pig)

Cabd
Every Breath You Take

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:49 am

Just as a general FYI tomorrow is the last day to get quick topic links to me cuz the site is shutting down on the 11th first thing and I'm probably going to be out and away from the desk most of the 10th.

Next
[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion