Marathon Week Nov 19-27: Wild West Edition & Upgrade Testing

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Marathon Week Nov 19-27: Wild West Edition & Upgrade Testing

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:16 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

We have a twofold announcement today:

MafiaScum will be hosting a Marathon Week from Saturday, November, 19th through Sunday, November 27th on the Mafiascum Update Staging Site! We’re entering the last phases of testing and bugfixes, and we would like to use this opportunity to both facilitate a Marathon Week as well as get some broad scope feedback from the community.

What is special about Marathon Week?

During this time, the Marathon Forum will be open for anyone to run and/or play in Marathon games: Mafia games intended to be played in a single sitting, usually lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours.

The Marathon PT group will open up on the staging forum. Anyone can join from the user Control Panel.

The Official Mafiascum Discord Server also has a text channel dedicated to organizing Marathons. That channel will be run by the Marathon Crew on Discord and will be available on the 18th to organize games. To add yourself to the Marathon Crew on Discord, go to the #sign-ups channel and select the marathon crew option from the sign-up bot.

How do I log in?

Your normal MafiaScum credentials should work, unless you changed your password within the last few days - your old password may work instead. If you have issues logging in, let the mod team know.

Can I register an account just on the staging site?

Yes, you may, but that account will not transfer to the main site.

Why does everything look different?

Staff have been working, for the last few years, on getting the forum software upgraded to a modern PhpBB version (3.3.8 at the time of writing this) such that we can offer an improved user experience as well as deliver more requested features in the future, since PhpBB development has been made much more easily customizable in modern versions. We’re excited to use this upgrade as an opportunity to continue to improve the site experience and knock some requested features off the list in the coming months.

What does playing on a different site mean for game history? Will these games eventually be transferred to the main site?

No - the games played on the staging site will not carry over onto the current live site, which is why we’re choosing to do this with lower investment marathon games rather than something that requires a lot of commitment. Everything on this server will (eventually) be wiped after the weekend is over. Once we perform the actual upgrade, the main site will appear like the staging site does today.

Something isn’t working correctly or looks weird - how do I report it?

Please use This thread on the forums or #staging-testing-feedback on the Discord. Note that this thread only exists on the live site - we want these reported issues to persist, even after we've taken down staging!

I need to get in touch with a member of staff. Who should I be contacting for various issues?

For issues with the facilitation of Marathon games, please contact T-Bone or another listmod.
For issues with the staging site, please contact Kison or borkjerfkin, or for non-essential issues, please use the reporting thread.

I don’t want to run or play a marathon game. Can I still look around, post, and leave feedback?

Absolutely. Please explore other areas of the staging site, including the Wiki, and feel free to leave feedback.
beefycheese

Return to “News”