Updated Mod Eligibility Rules

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #25 (isolation #0) » Tue May 03, 2011 2:16 am

Post by Vi »

Hoopla wrote:
zoraster wrote:thumbs up.

Question: are there any requirements for first time mods? Do they still need 3 months of experience on site + a completed game?
Personally, I'd prefer 6 months + IC status as the requirements for first time mods. I don't know if others would agree with me here.
Four months, and they have to have IC status by the time their turn comes up to mod.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #28 (isolation #1) » Tue May 03, 2011 3:09 am

Post by Vi »

Games with private subforums like those in the California Trilogy would count as Special as well then...
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #34 (isolation #2) » Tue May 03, 2011 4:51 am

Post by Vi »

Zachrulez wrote:
Vi wrote:
Hoopla wrote:
zoraster wrote:thumbs up.

Question: are there any requirements for first time mods? Do they still need 3 months of experience on site + a completed game?
Personally, I'd prefer 6 months + IC status as the requirements for first time mods. I don't know if others would agree with me here.
Four months, and they have to have IC status by the time their turn comes up to mod.
Don't most people have that experience by the time they mod? I know I had at least 6 months and IC by then. (Though early on I played fewer games so it took me longer than others to get IC status, most notably Zwet achieved IC status before I did despite joining the site later than me.)
Most but not all.

The time requirement is there mostly so that people can't immediately hit the queue when they join, even though it may TAKE four months for them to mod. <.<
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #65 (isolation #3) » Wed May 04, 2011 2:11 am

Post by Vi »

Hoopla wrote:
zoraster wrote:I'd be okay with the IC status thing, but 6 months seems unnecessary given that it takes a number of months to get through the mini normal queue. As a result, a six month requirement would make it so that the earliest anyone ever modded a game was 9 months to a year after they started playing, and i don't know that we really gain that much from doing that.
I haven't done any extensive research on this, but I think of all the new players that come through, many don't make the 3 month bracket, with the scale gradually sliding down in the 3-6 month category, and even more in 6+ month category. I expect that bumping the wait time to 6 months would minimise the queue in the long run by a couple of months, changing the overall structure to be; wait 6 months + 2/3, rather than wait 3 months + 4/5.
The research here would simply be seeing how many first-time mods flake in queue. If there aren't many - and when I joined that wasn't the case, but I don't know how it is now - then this would be a bad idea.

Playing is always more important, and I don't see why it's unfair to disallow someone who has only played a game once to give it a shot.
...which is the idea behind IC status.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #87 (isolation #4) » Wed May 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Post by Vi »

zoraster wrote:
Vi wrote:The research here would simply be seeing how many first-time mods flake in queue. If there aren't many - and when I joined that wasn't the case, but I don't know how it is now - then this would be a bad idea.
Flake from the queue or flake from the game, Vi? Because flaking from the queue isn't bad, although a bit annoying for the listmod. Flaking from the game is obviously terrible. I don't recall many instances of mod flaking their first game though. But I'm admittedly more plugged into the repeat-player repeat-mod scene of themes.
Flake from the queue.

Actually thinking about it, maybe it would be better to require mods to mod an open before they can mod a mini normal.
NO

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO MEOW NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

...to be eloquent about it.

Modding isn't as hard as you're making it out to be. It certainly doesn't need a more byzantine system where your hand is held every step of the way.

So choosing from a list of games and seeing what is considered balanced has no value for potential mods?
Anyone can look at a list of Open games and say "oh that's what we think balanced is" without having to run one.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #104 (isolation #5) » Thu May 05, 2011 6:08 am

Post by Vi »

Zachrulez wrote:I'm actually not the one that wants to increase the modding requirements, I just figure it's a better way of addressing the issues that hoopla is claiming exist rather than just increasing the wait time to 6 months for both queues.

Aren't open games considered the quickest way to get your modding pips these days anyway? If that's the strength of the reaction against the idea I put above, they shouldn't even be counting as whole games anyway.
I'm not thinking of the "Open Games go faster" argument so much as the consequence of "I now have to mod two games before I can mod a Theme".

I would also again like to point out that most mods would rather design their own setups. Forcing people to wait three
more
months from the time they join to do so is ridiculous.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #118 (isolation #6) » Fri May 06, 2011 10:57 am

Post by Vi »

ReaperCharlie wrote:It didn't work out so well, both of the aspiring mods flaked in the setup design stage. One is now currently running a game I'm in (apparently he flaked because a tornado took out his internet for weeks). The other is living out the rest of his useless mafiascum existence as before. As for the game, it was Harry Potter, and I brought Andrius on board instead of both of them. The game is still being worked on.

I wanted to give them a chance at greatness (for surely, this game will be epic). But it was not to be. :()
:eek:
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #128 (isolation #7) » Sun May 08, 2011 2:07 am

Post by Vi »

animorpherv1 wrote:You've got the teaching mod thing wrong. The Newbie doesn't run the game by him/herself. The veteran does most of the work at first, and slowly adds the newbie into doing things.
Major problems:
1) Modding isn't that hard
2) The hardest part of modding is right at the beginning

Maybe it would work better if the Newbie worked in tandem with the vet, instead of the Newbie doing everything and the vet just watching?
That's what the hydra is supposed to be about in the first place.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #131 (isolation #8) » Sun May 08, 2011 3:36 am

Post by Vi »

Faraday wrote:Worst/hardest part of modding is the nervousness when sending out pm's for me. OH FUCK DID I SEND THE RIGHT PM + right qt links(even though I know I did as I previewed it 14 times >_>)
This so much.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #140 (isolation #9) » Sun May 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Post by Vi »

zoraster wrote:Sending out role pms is like packing for vacation. No matter how many times you check, you're sure you missed something.
But I
always
forget something when I go on vacation. And leave the house in general.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #168 (isolation #10) » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:57 am

Post by Vi »

Ibarra wrote:Just wondering, is it fine to host a game in the Marathon subforum without having to run and open or mini normal?
Yes it is.

Return to “News”