Happy (?) April Fools

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Happy (?) April Fools

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:52 am

Post by zoraster »

Yes, it's that time of year again where nothing you read can be trusted and you have to wait an entire day to see whether some news you heard from a friend is real or just them trying to "fool" you.

And who are we to buck that trend? This year's change of rule leading to yet more banning followed by the puke-coloring of our moderators was such a "joke." But without Reck's outrage I don't think it would have been sold at all. So I appreciate those willing participants in April Fools, particularly Reck's.

As always, apologies to anyone who was legitimately confused and upset by the April Fools.

Colors and what not will return shortly. The rule will obviously be re-revised.

---
I leave it to Psyche to tell you whether or not he's kidding about his title policy. That's one that I was only very peripherally involved in.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #112 (isolation #1) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:21 am

Post by zoraster »

People delving into the bans and the ban discussion are exactly the people who generally have an understanding of that.

Anyway, April fools won't always be funny to everyone. If it's not your cup of tea this year, then shrug it off and wait for next. Or hunker down and ignore everything for 1/365th of the year.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #125 (isolation #2) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:24 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 113, chamber wrote:
In post 112, zoraster wrote:People delving into the bans and the ban discussion are exactly the people who generally have an understanding of that.

Anyway, April fools won't always be funny to everyone. If it's not your cup of tea this year, then shrug it off and wait for next. Or hunker down and ignore everything for 1/365th of the year.
I thought I was done with this thread but this shows that you really missed the reason behind upset feelings. It's not whether it was funny or not. I'd wager that every april fools joke has been unfunny to most people, we haven't had strong ones historically. So why is there more negative feedback for this one? I can't know for sure, but I can give a theory, you made people the didn't get that is was a lie angry. Haha? Where is the joke? Most april fools attempts will go in the other direction "Here is this good thing, oh wait trololol". I think there is a reason for that.
I guess I don't, but it's hard to take seriously that it's NOT "whether it was funny or not" when you follow immediately by saying "Haha? Where is the joke?"

Chevre's posts have been about how it was poorly executed or not funny -- the uncanny valley of april fools jokes (which is a pretty awesome phrase). Anyway, this critique is fair enough. But it's still ultimately about whether it's funny. Maybe it wasn't. Or wasn't to enough people. Hopefully we'll do better next year in that case. But my point is that whether to you we hit or missed the mark, it's something fairly silly that goes on yearly and sometimes will be your cup of tea and sometimes won't, but fortunately it's over either way.

As I said in the OP, I hope people enjoyed it. If they didn't, I hope they'll forgive the deception.

Return to “News”