Site Problems - Please Read

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Site Problems - Please Read

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:36 am

Post by mith »

We seem to be having some slowness/memory issues this morning. One thing I've noticed is that when posting from quick reply (and maybe from the main posting page as well, haven't checked yet), it hangs up trying to load the "successful post" page, but the post does go through.

If you get this problem, simply refresh the page after a few seconds and see if your post shows up. We're going to end up with a lot of double posts otherwise.

If you notice any other problems, document them here. Hopefully we can figure out what's wrong and how to fix it soon.
Last edited by mith on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:10 am

Post by mith »

An update on this:

We're hoping that migration to phpbb3 will eliminate this problem - I suspect a large part of it is inefficient scripts.

That said, I am also considering moving hosts in the near future (either before or as we migrate). More on this if/when it looks like it's going to happen - there would be some minor downtime as we move things and the DNS updates.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:33 am

Post by mith »

I've temporarily disabled the Search feature, to see if that cuts down/eliminates the problems until we migrate/move.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 am

Post by mith »

Further update:

Apparently there was a crash of some sort earlier, possibly unrelated to the "out of memory" error. When the server came back online, the sessions table got corrupted, which caused a string of errors as people tried to resume their posting/reading/etc. After a while, MySQL said "Enough" and marked the table as crashed - which shut down the forum completely, but it was good because it told me I should repair the table. So I did, and we're back (and error free at the moment).

Search will be disabled while we determine whether it's causing the "out of memory" problems. I noticed during the repair that one of the search tables was also modified, so it may have fixed something else that may or may not be related to the other problems we've been having.

Either way, we're looking at moving to a more stable situation, though I'd like to get things sorted here (as it'd be nice to have this server for backups, and we could possibly set it up as a reseller account for users to have a bit of space and put files on).
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:15 pm

Post by mith »

I've re-enabled the search function, since having it disabled doesn't seem to have helped the white screen problem much. I've increased the flood interval, however - use search sparingly for now, please.

Return to “News”