Moving Day

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Moving Day

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:43 am

Post by mith »

Moving Day currently delayed...

As mentioned in the Site Problems thread, we're looking at moving to a better hosting situation. In spite of the white screen issues, KnownHost has been excellent (the current problems are almost certainly the fault of some inefficient scripts in the phpbb2 code coupled with our current size), but this will give us more resources and hopefully more control over such problems.

jeep and Flay are still working on migration to phpbb3 - this won't affect that in any way, we'll just likely be on a new server first.

We are tentatively scheduling the move for the weekend of October 17th/18th. In theory, we should be able to copy over everything but the databases before then, and only disable the forums when we are actually moving the databases (so that no new posts are added while we move, and so the white screen doesn't pop up while we're moving and screw things up). It may take a while to move them (it's a lot of data), and something might come up to slow us down, but hopefully it won't take long - our move in January only took 2 days, and I was doing that without any help.

If you are modding a game which will be running that weekend, you might consider working your deadlines around the downtime to minimize the effect on your game.

While the forums will be disabled during the move, I will likely be opening the Shelter forum, both for discussion while we're down and also, possibly, for a Marathon Day to bridge the downtime with lots of Mafia. More details on that to come, but start planning for that. We'll make sure to put links in big, obvious places both to the Shelter/Marathon Day forum and to the new server once it is ready for action.
Last edited by mith on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:54 am

Post by mith »

Moving Day has arrived...

I'm not sure when we'll actually get started (waiting for jeep to wake up and get some other things done)... we won't need to lock the forums until we're ready to move the databases, so these forums will stay open until then.

However, I've gone ahead and opened up the Shelter Forum for Marathon Day activities. Feel free to register and post there; the shelter forum will remain open during the move, and we'll make sure the link is in a prominent place to redirect everyone there.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:44 am

Post by mith »

Alright, here's what happened, as best I can tell.

I went to bed early last night (been ill). jeep was working on the wiki database, but I assume he moved on to the forum.

We've had some space management issues... a lot of it is being wasted by apache logs, and we've got some redundant stuff as well (the entire "mafia" account is duplicated by the "mithmojo" account, which I had to retain because of the way I moved the site from bluehost... I've been reluctant to delete anything from there until we move, because last time I did that I took the whole site down and had to start over...)

So, apparently, between the database dump and a copy of the database dump in /tmp, we ran out of space, which killed mysql and cpanel. KH got me SSH access so that I could delete some stuff and restart the various services.

Anyway, we haven't moved yet, though yesterday certainly wasn't wasted. Everything should now be set up on the new server except for the databases. I'm not sure when jeep will have some free time to work on it, but we'll keep you updated.

In the meantime, the shelter forum remains open, though in the mess apparently something has gotten screwed up with the CSS. We'll try to get that fixed before we move so that it's not a complete pain to use.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:23 am

Post by mith »

No word from jeep yet on when he'll be available. In the meantime, I've unlocked the wiki.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:50 am

Post by mith »

Alright, we're on for this weekend. Updates as I have them.

I'll clean the spam out of the shelter forum sometime in the next couple of days.

Return to “News”