(New) Applications for mafiascum Staff

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

(New) Applications for mafiascum Staff

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Post by mith »

If you are interested in helping with the running of the site, please send me a PM letting me know what positions you are interested in and qualified for, and why you would do a good job. Keep in mind that these positions can be a lot of work, and are a service to the community, not an ego trip.

As part of addressing various issues that have arisen over the past, we are in need of new staff members. Below are the current positions needing to be filled; this will be updated as needed, with clarification on responsibilities, jurisdiction, behavioural expectations, etc.

Initially, I am asking all current staff members to re-apply if they are interested in retaining their position; I know at least a few positions will be vacated, and we may be interested in adding extra staff for more specific tasks.

Considerations for All Positions:

• If you have a flaking incident in your past, you need to have been back and active for a while, and convince me that you aren't going to randomly disappear again.
  • No problem behaviour on the forums; am willing to consider users with past problems that they have distanced themselves from, but you'll have to start small.
  • Looking for users who are reasonably intelligent, well-spoken, and respectful of others. If I've noticed that you are terrible at reading and following directions, I'm not going to trust you to keep things organized in a position that requires organization. If you are rude or obnoxious in communicating as a user, I'm not going to expect something more positive if you are given a position of responsibility.
  • Negatives: Immaturity; Grudges; Inability to act objectively.

List Mod

Responsibilities (some are queue-specific):

• Organize moderator (and player) waiting lists; includes verifying mod requirements and game limits, coordinating with review groups regarding setup approval, and giving approval for games to start or take sign-ups.
  • Keep clear and up-to-date records for the waiting list, games in progress, and games completed.
  • Regularly close and move completed games to the appropriate completed games subforum.
  • Help police the Queue forum.
  • Act as the first line of mediation in case of a dispute between players, or between player and mod.
  • Participate in site policy discussions as needed by the administrators.

Qualifications:

• Positives: Long-time user (it's unlikely I will consider anyone who has been on the site less than a year); Experience moderating and playing in Mafia games.
  • Negatives: Past incidents in Queue or Mafia forums.

Forum Moderator:

Responsibilities:

• Monitor discussions in the non-Game forums (including Mafia Discussion) to ensure the Forum Rules are being followed.
  • View reported posts and take action as appropriate, including sending warnings and short-term non-game bans.
  • Delete or edit inappropriate posts.
  • Coordinate with mith regarding larger or repeat problems, and recommend further action.
  • Recommend sub-forums as needed for particularly popular topics.
  • Participate in site policy discussions as needed by the administrators.

Qualifications:

• Positives: Calm and reasoned posting; Respected by the users.

Mish Mash Moderator:

Responsibilities:

• Monitor the Mish Mash forums for potential issues, and to ensure the Forum Rules are being followed.
  • Archive completed games.
  • Recommend sub-forums as needed for particularly popular games.

Qualifications:

• Positives: Active in Mish Mash; experience running Mish Mash games.

Title Fairy:

Responsibilities:

• Foster discussion of possible titles, tracking nominations and seconds.
  • Make final decision on suitability of titles based on posted rules.
  • Police title thread for arguments/off-topic posting.

Qualifications:

• Positives: Long-term, active member of the community both in games and out; sense of humor; creativity.

Normal Game Review Group

Responsibilities:

• Collaborate with other members to review games based on an existing set of guidelines, and provide appropriate feedback to upcoming moderators.
  • Participate in normal policy discussions as needed by group leader and administrators.
  • Group leader will manager membership of group and work closely with the relevant List Mods to coordinate reviews.

Qualifications:

• Positives: Experience moderating and playing in Mafia games; Activity in Mafia Discussion.
  • Negatives: History of ignoring rules/guidelines, particularly regarding "Normal" games - reviews are based on set policy.

Hive Press Secretary

Responsibilities:

• Monitor admin/staff discussion and assist in communicating rule/policy changes, status of long-term projects, and other updates to the userbase.
  • Act as first contact for members desiring to communicate problems or frustrations with the site or staff, as well as feature requests and policy suggestions. (May, in this capacity, be asked to moderate Site Ideas and/or Help.)
  • Organize and present these requests to the staff for further discussion and/or action.

Qualifications:

• Positives: Active, respected (by both staff and membership) user with good communication skills.

Additional Group Positions:

• Coding Group - Experience with PHP/MySQL and/or web design needed. Must be willing/able to coordinate with the administrators who implement new features.
  • Art Group - In addition to possible work with the coding group on web graphics, main current/future project is cards (but also potential for new t-shirt designs after the first run).
  • Scummies Steering Committee - Looking for a couple of additional members to help organize nominations, judging, and awards. May also look to add a writing group specifically for year-round work on the ceremony/[other things].
  • Documentation - Sort of a catch-all "I want to help out and I'm organized but don't fall into the other categories"; we are perpetually looking for ways to update our rules/guidelines/how-to guides/FAQs/etc., and make such things more accessible for the average user (and in particular, new users). There is also probably quite a lot to be done with the cached pages recovered from the cache, as far as cataloguing and adding links to parent threads.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:24 pm

Post by mith »

Quick update:

After discussion with some of the other staff, I have made the following selections for existing positions:

LlamaFluff will become the new Large Theme List Mod, replacing Kinetic who has expressed a desire to step down in the near future. We don't have a timetable yet for that transition.

Vi, Korts, and hitogoroshi will join SpyreX as Forum Moderators. We are currently working on new policy regarding transparency, consequences, etc.; the mod team will be responsible for all non-game forums (including Mafia Discussion), and we intend to eventually give them the ability to hand out temporary non-game bans as appropriate. We will also be discussing clarifications to the site rules/guidelines (in particular, examples of the sort of behavior that might warrant a temp ban); a part of that will likely be a public discussion at some point, but I want to bring in the new group for a bit first.

Oman will remain as the Title Fairy.

Papa Zito will continue to organize the Normal Review Group, and may be adding new members there as he sees fit.

Amrun will join Mastermind of Sin to help organize the GTKAS subforum, and assist the Forum Moderators as needed there.

I have yet to make a decision on a Mish Mash Mod; also, I will be adding postings for other group positions (such as the Scummies Steering Committee) in the near future (when my neck/back allow me to be on the computer for an extended period of time).
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Post by mith »

Additional information up for existing group positions.

I am also open to the creation of other positions/groups as needed; if you see a need, make your case by PM or start a discussion thread in Site Ideas.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am

Post by mith »

izakthegoomba will be our Mish Mash Mod. I've started a discussion topic here, and we'll get him set up with the appropriate mod powers soon.

The new Scummies Steering Committee will consist of AGar, Cogito Ergo Sum, Faraday, SpyreX, xRECKONERx, and zoraster. (With the admins weighing in regularly as well.) I am looking at having a specific "subcommittee" responsible for the writing of the ceremony - I intend to continue organizing this and doing some writing, but would like to start getting more of it out of the way throughout the year, rather than trying to rush through it in a couple weeks. If you are interested in contributing to that, let me know.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:08 am

Post by mith »

I've also added a position - "Hive Press Secretary" (name likely to be changed) - in the first post. This position was suggested by Oman.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2012 8:55 am

Post by mith »

Vi has agreed to take on responsibility for making sure staff-to-user communication is happening. We are also working on some additional documentation outline staff areas of responsibility (and who to contact for certain situations).

Return to “News”