Rule Addition Regarding Hiding Identity from Staff

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Rule Addition Regarding Hiding Identity from Staff

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:50 am

Post by zoraster »

The following has been added to the site rules:

You may not hide your identity from the site administrators and moderators acting in their official capacity. Users should register their alternate accounts ("alts") as alts (here for help), and they should not register with fake emails, exclusively use proxies, or use other methods to hide their identity. Doing so will be reason in itself to remove you from the site.

This is not an attempt to stop users from using alternate accounts, but with this rule we want to clarify that for administrative purposes, we need to know which accounts are linked. If you accidentally register your account as a main, don't fret (it's easy to accidentally do if you mess up part of the form), just post in the alt activation thread or PM a mod. We may inquire as to your identity if there's some confusion.

Also, this isn't intended to necessarily stop users from using proxies
so long as the proxies aren't hiding your identity from us
. In other words, if your alt is known and registered there's no problem with using proxies or registering with a different email address. It's just when we believe you are attempting to deceive us in our official duties that there is a problem.

To be clear, it's not a problem to act like a different person on an alt in a game even if there's a staff member playing the game, though as we've stated before, you should not attempt to get around another player or game mod's "blacklist" by using an alt. Also, it's worth noting that while staff members shouldn't use their position to try to gain an advantage in a game, their official duties may mean they discover your identity.

Last, keep in mind that certain areas of the site, such as The Speakeasy/GTKAS and Newbie Games have their own rules about alternate accounts.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:35 am

Post by vonflare »

seems reasonable
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:42 am

Post by mykonian »

For your safety and protection, alt tracking is employed at all times.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:31 am

Post by Nexus »

#banallalts
Trans rights are human rights.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:49 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 3, Nexus wrote:#banallalts
What is a lalt anyway? What's so boring about it?
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:56 am

Post by AniX »

I think it is disgusting a member of this site's staff is campaigning to ban a specific user. What violation has Albert Lalts even committed?
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:30 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I'm glad this is in effect.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:58 am

Post by zakk »

In post 4, Davsto wrote:
What is a lalt anyway? What's so boring about it?
In post 5, AniX wrote:I think it is disgusting a member of this site's staff is campaigning to ban a specific user. What violation has Albert Lalts even committed?
Hehehehehehehe
permanently retired

see here for more info
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:08 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

The mods should ban one person every month to appease the hungry masses.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:11 am

Post by Davsto »

Can that person be shotty

Every month
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:40 am

Post by pirate mollie »

whew!
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:45 am

Post by vonflare »

#freeShotty

That guy was a riot. He threatened to buy mafiascum and ban whoever upset him lol
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

Zoraster, can we talk legal precedent for a moment?

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p7096589

Given mods have been reprimanded for revealing hidden alts in games prior, where is the stance of the moderation team on this?

Because "Also, it's worth noting that while staff members shouldn't use their position to try to gain an advantage in a game, their official duties may mean they discover your identity." makes it sound an awful lot like "mods won't go out of their way to look you up but if they happen to be privy to some knowledge that they wouldn't otherwise, fair game?

Like I just want to know what the standard moderation response to "A Moderator has revealed who I am to the other players in my game while I was playing on an alt" will be.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

In post 8, Cheetory6 wrote:The mods should ban one person every day to appease the hungry masses.
ftfy
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Week would be a decent middle ground
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 12, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:Zoraster, can we talk legal precedent for a moment?

Given mods have been reprimanded for revealing hidden alts in games prior, where is the stance of the moderation team on this?

Because "Also, it's worth noting that while staff members shouldn't use their position to try to gain an advantage in a game, their official duties may mean they discover your identity." makes it sound an awful lot like "mods won't go out of their way to look you up but if they happen to be privy to some knowledge that they wouldn't otherwise, fair game?

Like I just want to know what the standard moderation response to "A Moderator has revealed who I am to the other players in my game while I was playing on an alt" will be.
Surely knowing and revealing are two different things. You can know and not tell anyone else after all. To my knowledge there was no punishment for the mod knowing and only for the mod revealing.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Post by Accountant »

Wouldn't it provide the mod an unfair advantage in meta terms? Say Bob makes an alt, Albert. Bob has a specific and distinctive tell that he only does as scum, but he doesn't mind doing it as Albert because nobody knows it's him. One day, a staff member discovers his identity as part of their duties and now knows Albert is Bob, which gives them a game advantage.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Post by AniX »

That is the risk you take on when you use an alt.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:48 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 12, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:Zoraster, can we talk legal precedent for a moment?

I'm with LLD. I don't think that this is a good rule for the Mafia half of the site.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Post by AniX »

How do you propose Mafia side site mods make sure alts aren't joining games with their mains then?
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Post by N »

In post 18, RadiantCowbells wrote:

I'm with LLD. I don't think that this is a good rule for the Mafia half of the site.
There is no change there though. The change, from my perspective as an ex-mod who was not involved in the rule change at all, is that mods don't have to know which banned user a troll is an alt of before they can ban them.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:34 pm

Post by xyzzy »

I feel like the easiest solution if you're worried about this is to avoid joining a game with a forum moderator in it, and request that the game moderator not allow any forum moderators to replace into the game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:00 pm

Post by zoraster »

It's a good question. A moderator shouldn't reveal who you are to others in your game. Generally their power of detection should be kept to themselves (and other mods) in their official capacity. Part of the problem before was revealing a secret identity to the game in general. The problem wasn't that the mod himself knew the identity of a secret alt.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:18 pm

In post 22, zoraster wrote:

It's a good question. A moderator shouldn't reveal who you are to others in your game. Generally their power of detection should be kept to themselves (and other mods) in their official capacity. Part of the problem before was revealing a secret identity to the game in general. The problem wasn't that the mod himself knew the identity of a secret alt.
Where does this coincide with playing to your win condition? I mean, I'm not an advocate of meta but there's plenty who are and considering just how powerful that knowledge is... You could see where the player may be stuck in a situation where they now need to choose between not completely playing to their win condition and not breaking this rule?

How is this issue handled?

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:24 pm

Additionally, looking at it from the other perspective, how do you reconcile the advantages this could grant a member of the moderation team?

And I'm not talking about abuse or breaking the rules states here, I mean that there now exist a set of players on site who may or may not have the knowledge of who you are, when much of the point of an alt is often to remove just that.

No matter how you look at it, it provides a significant consideration, even if the moderator DOESN'T know who the person is.

Because the mod is gagged on speaking about it, players are left to make their own assumptions about whether or not the mod knows the identity of the user and thus whether that factors into the strength of their read or how other people view them.

There's just no possible way it doesn't shift the dynamic of the game, at least in some small capacity.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us

Return to “News”