2017's Game of the Year: Vote Now!

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

2017's Game of the Year: Vote Now!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:15 am

Post by zoraster »

The Game of the Year, unlike other Scummies, is voted on by everyone! Unlike the other categories, you only have to pick your favorite game. Here are your finalists:

Game of the Year

Camn's Revenge
Steven Universe 2
For Us (Micro 719)
Death Trap
D&D Curse of Strahd (Mini 1859)

Spoiler: Read the Finalist's nominations here
Nominated
Nominator
Scummie
Game Name - Game Link
Reason
camn's revengemastinaGame of the Year
"This game was an absolute blast. I've NEVER had as much fun in a game as I had in this game. It was pure, unadulterated, fun. More than that, it is an example of some really, really strong town plays. The town this game was good. The town this game made many, many strong plays, including having PoE'd two of the three scum on D1.

The scumteam made some hilarious mistakes along the way as well, including a guilty result which almost entirely fucked them over because of how condemning it was (even after the mod redacted part of the guilty!), and yet, in spite of this because of what boiled down to basically luck, they were able to set up an endgame where via paranoia the town player who had been cleared since D1 ended up vengekilled.

It was frustrating to watch all the town's hard work go down the drain basically overnight, when we had fought so hard to get there and had locked the game down, but it was a good recovery on the scum's part. Scum avoided the lynch D1 when they were set to die. Scum laid wifom when their second member died. Scum managed to keep their third member from being the mislynch...three times in a row. And in spite of the vengeful townie having the remaining scum as their top scumread the whole game, they were talked out of it...by no less than the town's archnemesis, Pine, the guy the game's mechanic revolved around.

As infuriating as the loss was, it was still the most fun I have ever had in a game and I think I'll never find a game as enjoyable as this one. Except, maybe a sequel...
"
Mini 1869 - Camn's RevengePineGame of the Year
"Mastina said it better than I, and from a perhaps more objective perspective, but I echo her sentiments most heartily. This game was indeed some of the best fun I've had on site. Practically every player turned in stellar performances, both Town and scum. We the scumteam felt like we were constantly on the run from a Town hot on our heels, and only through a series of ploys, deceptions, and gambits did we barely eke out a win. Any other scumteam would have been annihilated. Any other Town would have been completely rolled. The best parts were the Town Jam Session, a ten-page conversation conducted live over several hours where a number of Town players collaborated to break the game wide open and form a voting bloc that took us the entire rest of the game to dismantle. Endgame was equally challenging. Town had their sights locked in on the final mafioso going in, and ultimately fell prey to internal divisions and paranoia, widened by WIFOM and coordination between the scum treestump (me) and SirCakez.

The setup, design, and moderation were wholly original, and well-executed by Camn. Further, this paradigm is repeatable, and we hope for future iterations of this style game.

Boffo!"
Mini 1869 - Camn's RevengeNachomamma8Game of the Year
"Was the most fun I've had in a game in a long time.
Thought that the mechanic introduced was an interesting spin (pits moderators against each other, loved the guilty treestump), several of the players in the game had some extremely enjoyable play, there were some excellent moments (town jam session, Prism's paranoia ""going off the rails"" posting near the end of day 1, Gin getting outed as a eavesdropper and eavesdropping on Aeronaut outing the entire scumteam), and I thought the flavor was lovely. What else could you ask for from a game?"
Camn's RevengeTheRealGin-N-TonicGame of the Year
This game, with out a doubt will be my favorite game I've played on this site for awhile. This game had Pine be a confirmed guilty child tree stump. His job was to create WIFOM. Personally, I was going to be lynched D1 and out of some pure magic, everything flipped like a switch and town came together, on D1 mind you, to completely spend 8 straight hours going non stop posting to narrow down the scum suspects to be 2/3 correct and then set up a process of elimination to find the last scum. The process of elimination was successful and we knew who the last scum was but more magic happened and boom, town still lost. Not going to spoil the ending as it's so delicious. However, it's probably the most emotionally invested game I've played in and I seriously cried a little when town actually lost the game after all the hard work. Especially considering amazing friendships were made and so much crazy chaos happened that there was never a dull moment.
camn's revengenancyGame of the Year
For Us (Micro 719)CabdGame of the Year
"A 9-slot game with 18 players. Players of high caliber sure to butt heads and go to blows in a love-and-hate festival of carnage. The resurrection of several semi-retired names of yore.

And what happens? True love happens. The entire player list manages to stitch together, on day one without any flips or role results, and town block comprising all of the town and correctly peg the scum team. With memes; gifs; and the occasional snark. "
Micro 719: For UsmastinaGame of the Year
"A picture-perfect town win: two scum dead, and ZERO town dead. (Not even by nightkill!) The entire town was able to form a cohesive townbloc. Universally townreading one another.

Town identified with town, worked with town, and synchronized with town, early and immediately, and that left scum no room to breathe. Furthermore, the town used just about the best possible usage of their roles, able to coordinate actions such that there was essentially a masonry which would make it impossible for scum to win--all of this, largely on D1 and finishing by N1.

This communication was on an unprecedented level of awesomeness. Any number of things could have gone wrong. But these things didn't happen. Everything clicked into place and the town just knew who each other were and knew who the scum were and were thusly able to trounce them.

It was perfection personified. This is not something you see every day. This is something which took a lot of skill and natural ability to pull off and it is absolutely something worth the history books.

The game was a blast to play in. It was immensely fun and was just a stellar example of everything a town can and SHOULD be. If you ever want to give a game where you demonstrate how people should scumhunt, how people should work together, how people should be a cohesive unit, this game would be a shining beacon of how to execute that. And that is something which I feel is worthy of being on display. It was awesomeness incarnate. A work of beauty. It really must be seen to be believed."
Mini 1859: D&D Curse of StrahdPineGame of the Year
This game was immense fun, with fantastic flavor and innovative structure. The playerlist was absolutely fantastic, with interesting roles and character interactions. Town began quite disjointed and suspicious of one another, and evolved into a unified front. Further, the game provoked a sequence of events resulting in an extremely memorable endgame.
Mini 1875: Pine's Death TrapnancyGame of the Year
Pine's Death TrapRadiantCowbellsGame of the Year
In the sense that a game of the year is the stand-out of the year I think it's important to recognize what makes a game stand out isn't necessarily anything besides the players and moderators that make it the game it is. The setup is simple and nothing special but it was an intense and enjoyable game to play because the players were invested and the moderator wrote GREAT flavour and did a solid job with upkeep of the game. Also in a different sense the game of the year is the 'representative' game of the year and the game was filled with various gambits, some that helped their faction, some that hurt, some that changed little. Playing Mafia in 2017 is playing a game laden with ridiculous gambits and I think that this should be held up, not as a standard to aspire to but something to be kept in mind.
STEVEN UNIVERSE 2CreatureGame of the Year
There were so many posts, strategies and plays. Most of the players were active and talking.

Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

BooneyToonz VI
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 1, Kmd4390 wrote:BooneyToonz VI
Amrock#3784
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:28 am

Post by Alisae »

Please don't multiball ty
GTKAS
| here.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:05 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I honestly might've voted for Booneytoonz IV (I think that one was the five weeks in a boon one)
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Post by Pine »

I can't believe I just voted against my own game :(
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 5, Pine wrote:I can't believe I just voted against my own game :(
nani?
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:29 am

Post by Pine »

In post 6, Ginngie wrote:
In post 5, Pine wrote:I can't believe I just voted against my own game :(
nani?
U wot mate?
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:03 am

Post by Aristophanes »

But Camn's Revenge!!!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:38 am

Post by zoraster »

Voting Closed!