Potential Site Name Change

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather
Happy Scumday!

Potential Site Name Change

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:17 am

Post by mith »

In light of the other changes we have been making, we are considering "rebranding" the site. The site name has long been problematic for some people, and I am not opposed to changing it. However, I want to give consideration to other opinions before making a final decision on that.

The leading option currently is simply changing to mafiawiki.net. This site has become known as much or more for its comprehensive wiki over the years, and a focus on that may help in attracting new users. I already own the mafiawiki.net domain, redirecting it to the wiki subdomain, so this would be a (relatively) simple transition apart from logos and the front page.

I am open to other suggestions (and I have a few in mind - not the first time I've thought about this), but would prefer to keep that discussion private as choosing a new name would be complicated by people sniping domains or social media accounts. If you have any suggestions, feel free to PM them to me.
Otherwise, please refer to the poll below.
Poll removed, just PM me your opinion (no to rebranding, yes to mafiawiki, yes to something else).

(If we do change names, this domain will remain active and redirect for the foreseeable future.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:22 am

Post by mith »

Removed poll, not possible to vote if the topic is locked. I don't want another 50 page argument about this. Please just send your thoughts to me by PM.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:20 am

Post by mith »

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

For now, I have made the decision to retain the mafiascum.net name as primary. If in the future we do change at some point in the future, it will not be to mafiawiki.net; as many pointed out, while mafiawiki is a good "brand", it is not a good name for attracting players. That said, I would like to put more emphasis on mafiawiki as a separate brand. I think the wiki has the potential to reach a wider audience, possibly incorporating discussion of other places to play the game and roles/setups used elsewhere. Whether that in turn attracts people to the forums, I don't know; I think that depends more on the environment here (both in play and out of game) than anything we could do with the wiki. (That doesn't mean the wiki will/should/could be independent from the forums, and we will still use both as advertisement for the other.)

I am also considering some other options that have nothing to do with rebranding, but I'll wait to discuss them until I have more of a concrete plan.

Return to “News”