they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them
Happy Scumday!

Echo Bay Grits SEO setup design and mod thread

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:47 am

Post by xyzzy »

so signups are still happening for a few more hours but I figure the number of players is mostly settled and will not hugely influence things (the number of scum if there are 44 players, for instance, probably isn't really that different from if there are 45 instead).

so my initial design idea for this is to have 3 non-town factions, 1 of which is a serial killer, and 1 of which is fairly large but is mostly composed of traitors, as follows:

1 serial killer
6 mafia A goons
1 mafia A traitor
3 mafia B goons
6 mafia B traitors
X townies

I believe that having two somewhat balanced large factions and 1 serial killer is a good way of ensuring that breaking strategies involving trying to kill nearly everyone day 1 are relatively unlikely to succeed, and that both large factions are unlikely to be completely eliminated day 1. the serial killer's odds of success are definitely lower, but the presence of this role increases the difficulty of any player fully understanding the game state as long as the serial killer is alive. additionally, the B faction is more vulnerable to potentially losing their nightkill if all of their non-traitor members die.

here are some sample generic role PMs:

playername
mafia goon

flavor text

you win when only members of your faction are left alive.

you know that the following players are members of your faction:

you may communicate with the other members of your faction privately any time here:

during the day, you may write
kill: playername
in the game thread. the named player will die.

you know that there are X players who are members of your faction whose identities you do not know, and who do not know your identity or how large your faction is.

each night, your faction can perform a nightkill action targeting one player, and that player will die. if you target a member of your own faction whose identity you do not know, instead of dying, that player will instead become a regular member of your faction with knowledge of the other non-hidden members of your faction and access to your faction's private topic.

playername
mafia traitor

flavor text

there are some number of other members of your faction, some of whom know each other's identities and have a nightkill action. if a member of your faction targets you with a nightkill action, you will become a regular member of your faction with knowledge of the other non-hidden members of your faction and access to your faction's private topic.

playername
Echo Bay citizen

you're just a regular citizen of Echo Bay, Maryland; you remain unsure of how all of this commotion came about, but you just want it all to come to an end, and will do whatever it takes to ensure this.

----

I've written flavor text for each non-town faction; the idea is that for the two larger factions, each member will get one sentence at random, and that sentence will be posted in the game thread upon that player's death (the entire text will be posted all at once for the serial killer upon death). technically, this has the possibility of gives the town a small amount of information (it's somewhat evident which sentences are first for each of them so players might be able to surmise that there's at least one remaining member of that faction), but I don't believe that will meaningfully affect game balance, because it'll never be possible to conclusively be sure that a faction is entirely eliminated based on this text.

Spoiler: flavor text
the Echo Bay Grits company was founded in 1923 by two enterprising sisters, the daughters of a owner of a small East Coast chain of supermarkets.
the elder of the two sisters attended culinary school, where she gained an appreciation of simple foods made perfect through dedicated, thoughtful care, and the younger used her knowledge of agriculture trade gained through her work in the supermarket to gain an in depth understanding of how to succeed in the cutthroat industry of east coast grits companies.
together, they amassed significant wealth, and while their company has had a few downturns throughout its near century in business, their legacy of excellence has given the company a well-deserved reputation for creating only the best.
however, the company has been slow to adapt to technology, and while this is in some cases a good thing (the fact that they still rely on the same basic machinery with only minor renovations for manufacturing grits gives them a much-desired reputation as having a real legacy), the fact is, any company in the 21st century needs a robust and well-maintained online presence, and the Echo Bay Grits company simply does not deliver in that regard.
the recently formed online marketing division for the Echo Bay Grits company has most recently faced the uphill battle of trying to increase their company's presence on social media and improve their search engine optimization, or SEO.
this effort has proved difficult, though, and it remains difficult to locate the company online; while selling affordable, tasty food in supermarkets and supplying that food in bulk to restaurants across a region are certainly still a viable way to turn a profit, larger, more nationally accessible brands of grits threaten to eventually subsume the Echo Bay Grits company's profits, and the internet is the best and perhaps only way to prevent this from happening.
one thing is certain: either the Echo Bay Grits company solves their web presence problem, or their company faces extinction -- not literal extinction, of course, because it's not like anything would cause that to happen, right?

Mayor Jonathan Gunshow (born Jonathan Carroll) was first elected as mayor of Echo Bay, Maryland in 2010 at only 24 years old on a platform of crime reduction and better access to public utilities, but it was his backing by firearm lobbyists that secured his victory. having his last name legally changed to "Gunshow" was little more than a publicity stunt, and many have theorized that he neither expected nor desired to actually be elected mayor, and that going into politics was little more than a ploy to avoid having to find a real job after being left to find his own way in life by his reclusive, wealthy father. in the eight years since, however, he has strengthened his relationship with gun and ammunition manufacturers, including Echo Bay Munitions Co., a relatively new company headquartered in his own city founded just two years before his first election. now at 32 years old, he faces reelection next fall, but sources close to him suggest that he might instead be preparing for a Senate run. he regularly assures constituents that, despite his financial support from Echo Bay Munitions, Co., he fully understands their desires for increased gun control and that his benefactor in fact shares many of their same concerns; whether this has any real bearing on how the company is run has remained in question until now. one thing, however, is certain: either Jonathan Gunshow proves definitively that he truly serves the people's interests and is acting on their behalf, or his political career faces extinction -- though, of course, not in a literal sense, because obviously there's no reason for anyone to believe that real physical harm will come to him any time soon.

Echo Bay Munitions, Co. was founded in 2008, and little is known about how the company actually operates by outsiders, or for that matter, the people who work there.
the privately owned company has a number of top secret government weapons contracts, and it's well known that they perform testing just outside the city, but what exactly they're testing--or why--remains a mystery to those who do not work for the company.
however, even for those who do work there, much of it is shrouded in mystery; the employees are spread primarily across three buildings, with a handful of other employees working remotely, and even those who work within the company are unlikely to know more than a small handful of others there.
some of those who are part of the company's engineering team, however, are part of a new initiative within the company to create a new paradigm in how firearms are made available to private citizens.
as controversy surrounding the accessibility of lethal weapons has increased throughout the country, Echo Bay Munitions Co. has found a new solution that they believe will actually increase their profitability: rather than decreasing access to firearms, simply reduce the amount of bullets available for purchase, create reusable bullets known as SmartBullets that track which individuals have used them recently, and charge high licensing fees for the rights to fire a gun.
they reason that this will make it nearly impossible for anyone to shoot more than one person in a single day, which will decrease the number of violent crimes that take place; it would require some sort of mass panic for that sort of thing to happen.
and obviously there's no real need for them to worry about that kind of thing happening, because the societal conditions to create that sort of event are just incredibly unlikely.
while the company remains committed to more conventional means when it comes to their various government contracts, they remain fully committed to this plan, and intend to roll it out in one year; while it might prove unpopular with some, they believe that they will be able to convince legislators that this is the best, most reasonable way to prevent further tragedies while also ensuring that they are the only company capable of producing legal consumer firearms, thus ensuring their long-term profitability.
one thing remains certain, though: the top executives of Echo Bay Munitions Co. will definitely never face any consequences for their actions under any conditions no matter what; they don't even live in Echo Bay, just so that they won't be there in case anything ever goes wrong.

Spoiler:
Last edited by xyzzy on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:42 am

Post by Ginngie »

Boop
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Post by xyzzy »

okay so this is officially 41 players, which means that the proposed setup is:

1 serial killer
6 mafia A goons
1 mafia A traitor
3 mafia B goons
6 mafia B traitors
24 townies
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Post by Ginngie »

Oh jesus mafia B lamo

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:27 pm

Post by xyzzy »

these are just for my own reference because I don't want to start the thread until I'm close to finalizing this:

Spoiler: post 0

Code: Select all

[color=#8C0000]welcome to Echo Bay Grits SEO! here's a list of players:

[list=1][*]the worst
[*]Taly
[*]Ausuka
[*]Ramcius
[*]Sando
[*]McMenno
[*]Chickadee
[*]Iconeum
[*]Momrangal
[*]Aristophanes
[*]Not_Mafia
[*]Almost50
[*]Davsto
[*]Austerity
[*]Creature
[*]Srceenplay
[*]randomidget
[*]Varsoon
[*]Kokichi Oma
[*]hebichan
[*]SnarkySnowman
[*]Vaxkiller
[*]CheekyTeeky
[*]TheBrie
[*]Lovebird
[*]Harambey180
[*]StefanB
[*]light_ganski
[*]Theta Alpine
[*]Eddie Cane
[*]katokashi
[*]Archwing
[*]Nexus
[*]Gorkington
[*]hyung
[*]Ankamius
[*]wingedcatgirl
[*]Gammagooey
[*]Bins
[*]BBmolla
[*]ooba[/list]

the following players are still alive:

[spoiler=living players][list=1][*]the worst
[*]Taly
[*]Ausuka
[*]Ramcius
[*]Sando
[*]McMenno
[*]Chickadee
[*]Iconeum
[*]Momrangal
[*]Aristophanes
[*]Not_Mafia
[*]Almost50
[*]Davsto
[*]Austerity
[*]Creature
[*]Srceenplay
[*]randomidget
[*]Varsoon
[*]Kokichi Oma
[*]hebichan
[*]SnarkySnowman
[*]Vaxkiller
[*]CheekyTeeky
[*]TheBrie
[*]Lovebird
[*]Harambey180
[*]StefanB
[*]light_ganski
[*]Theta Alpine
[*]Eddie Cane
[*]katokashi
[*]Archwing
[*]Nexus
[*]Gorkington
[*]hyung
[*]Ankamius
[*]wingedcatgirl
[*]Gammagooey
[*]Bins
[*]BBmolla
[*]ooba[/list][/spoiler]

the following players are no longer alive:

[spoiler=dead players][list=1][/list][/spoiler]

[smallcaps]important game events:[list=1][/list][/smallcaps][/color]

Spoiler: post 1

[color=#990000][list=1][b]site rules:[/b]
[*]obey all site rules. you can read the site rules [url=http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6470]here[/url].
[*]do not discuss the game in any capacity outside of this game thread unless your role gives you explicit permission to do so. if you are allowed to do so, I will provide you with a private topic where you can do so.
[*]do not harass other players in this game. while a certain level of confrontation and argumentation is typical in Mafia games, do not bring personal vendettas or outside influences into the game. additionally, do not harm or threaten to harm any person.
[b]game conduct:[/b]
[*]play to win. there is a chance that you will lose the game, but do your best to avoid that, and do not deliberately throw the game.
[*]do not use the color #8C0000.
[*]do not use any sort of cryptography, hidden text, or other similar methods to hide information in the game thread unless your role explicitly states that you may do so. if you are unsure of what is not allowed, PM me for clarification.
[*]do not quote any private correspondence you receive from me in the game thread unless your role explicitly states that you may do so.
[*]do not quote information from private threads unless your role gives you explicit permission to do so.
[b]joining the game, leaving the game, and activity:[/b]
[*]you should have received a PM with a role from me when the game began or when you replaced in. please respond to this PM with a message that includes your alignment, any non-vanilla attributes of your role, and any mention of any other players. if you have any questions about how your role works or you need a new copy of your role PM, please PM me.
[*]if you will be away from the site for a set period of time, please post in the thread letting the other players know this and PM me, and update the "Vacation / Limited Access" info in the User Control Panel. I will be more lenient regarding inactivity if you are V/LA, but I may need to replace you if you will be gone for an extended period of time. if you are regularly V/LA at certain times (such as during the weekend), you only need to do this once.
[*]if you do not post for 72 hours or more, I will prod you (or send you a reminder to check in when possible if you have announced that you are V/LA); failure to respond to prods or needing to be prodded repeatedly throughout the game might result in a replacement.
[*]if you need to be replaced for any reason, you may message me with information to be passed on to the player who replaces you. this isn't mandatory, but if there's strategic advice you'd like to offer to whomever replaces you, you can do this.
[b]gameplay:[/b]
[*]the game is divided into day phases and night phases and will begin with a day phase.
[*]each day, each player may write [b]shoot: playername[/b], and the named player will die. if another player has already used this ability and I have not resolved this action yet, further attempts to use this action will be ignored.
[*]if you do not wish to use this action on a given day, you may write [b]shoot: abstain[/b], and you will lose access to this action for the rest of the day. this is irreversible.
[*]if you have died, please do not post in the thread anymore. you are not officially considered dead until I announce your death in the game thread.
[*]if one week passes without any kills, the day will end.
[*]night phases will last 48 hours plus however much time it takes me to update the thread and unlock it.
[b]moderator responsibilities:[/b]
[*]I will not edit your posts unless your post breaks the rules in such a way that information needs to be removed from it or quotes a post that does that, or you ask me to edit it to fix a broken tag. I will provide a brief explanation of the edit and, in cases of fixing broken tags, will end the post with a spoiler containing the complete original text of the post.
[*]if you have a pronoun listed on your account, I will use that to refer to you. otherwise, I will default to referring to you as "they"/"them". if you do not have a pronoun listed on your account but wish for me to refer to you using some other pronoun, message me to let me know.
[*]I will do my best to keep the game running as smoothly as possible, but there will be times when I'm not around. I should be able to update the game at least once a day, and I will let you know if I believe that might change.
[*]I reserve the right to modify these rules at any time if necessary.
[*]thanks for vibing and keeping it tight. if you need me, I'm on my mobile.[/list][/color]
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 0, xyzzy wrote:
playername
mafia goon

flavor text

you may communicate with the other members of your faction privately any time here:

you know that there are X players who are members of your faction whose identities you do not know, and who do not know your identity or how large your faction is.

each night, your faction can perform a nightkill action targeting one player, and that player will die. if you target a member of your own faction whose identity you do not know, instead of dying, that player will instead become a regular member of your faction with knowledge of the other non-hidden members of your faction and access to your faction's private topic.

playername
mafia traitor

flavor text

there are some number of other members of your faction, some of whom know each other's identities and have a nightkill action. if a member of your faction targets you with a nightkill action, you will become a regular member of your faction with knowledge of the other non-hidden members of your faction and access to your faction's private topic.

playername
Echo Bay citizen

you're just a regular citizen of Echo Bay, Maryland; you remain unsure of how all of this commotion came about, but you just want it all to come to an end, and will do whatever it takes to ensure this.

GTKAS
| here.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Post by xyzzy »

here are some more specific mockups for scum PMs:
playername
Echo Bay Grits goon

flavor text

you win when only members of your faction are left alive or nothing can prevent this.

playername
Echo Bay Munitions Co. traitor

flavor text

you win when only members of your faction are left alive or nothing can prevent this.

playername
Mayor Jonathan Gunshow serial killer

flavor text

you win when only you are alive.

you know that no other players are members of your faction.

each night, you can perform a nightkill action targeting one player, and that player will die.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Post by xyzzy »

here's a new version after some discussion:

3 mafia A goons
1 mafia A traitor (1-shot BP, becomes goon when shot by anyone)
3 mafia B goons
1 mafia B traitor (1-shot BP, becomes goon when shot by anyone)
2 1-shot BP serial killers
27 townies
4 1-shot BP townies
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:51 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Spoiler: post 1

[color=#990000][list=1][b]site rules:[/b]
[*]obey all site rules. you can read the site rules [url=http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6470]here[/url].
[*]do not discuss the game in any capacity outside of this game thread unless your role gives you explicit permission to do so. if you are allowed to do so, I will provide you with a private topic where you can do so.
[*]do not harass other players in this game. while a certain level of confrontation and argumentation is typical in Mafia games, do not bring personal vendettas or outside influences into the game. additionally, do not harm or threaten to harm any person.
[b]game conduct:[/b]
[*]play to win. there is a chance that you will lose the game, but do your best to avoid that, and do not deliberately throw the game.
[*]do not use the color #8C0000.
[*]do not use any sort of cryptography, hidden text, or other similar methods to hide information in the game thread unless your role explicitly states that you may do so. if you are unsure of what is not allowed, PM me for clarification.
[*]do not quote any private correspondence you receive from me in the game thread unless your role explicitly states that you may do so.
[*]do not quote information from private threads unless your role gives you explicit permission to do so.
[b]joining the game, leaving the game, and activity:[/b]
[*]you should have received a PM with a role from me when the game began or when you replaced in. please respond to this PM with a message that includes your alignment, any non-vanilla attributes of your role, and any mention of any other players. if you have any questions about how your role works or you need a new copy of your role PM, please PM me.
[*]if you will be away from the site for a set period of time, please post in the thread letting the other players know this and PM me, and update the "Vacation / Limited Access" info in the User Control Panel. I will be more lenient regarding inactivity if you are V/LA, but I may need to replace you if you will be gone for an extended period of time. if you are regularly V/LA at certain times (such as during the weekend), you only need to do this once.
[*]if you do not post for 72 hours or more, I will prod you (or send you a reminder to check in when possible if you have announced that you are V/LA); failure to respond to prods or needing to be prodded repeatedly throughout the game might result in a replacement.
[*]if you need to be replaced for any reason, you may message me with information to be passed on to the player who replaces you. this isn't mandatory, but if there's strategic advice you'd like to offer to whomever replaces you, you can do this.
[b]gameplay:[/b]
[*]the game is divided into day phases and night phases and will begin with a day phase.
[*]each day, each player may write [b]shoot: playername[/b], and the named player will die. if another player has already used this ability and I have not resolved this action yet, further attempts to use this action will be ignored.
[*]if you do not wish to use this action on a given day, you may write [b]shoot: abstain[/b], and you will lose access to this action for the rest of the day. this is irreversible.
[*]if you have died, please do not post in the thread anymore. you are not officially considered dead until I announce your death in the game thread.
[*]if one week passes without any kills, the day will end.
[*]night phases will last 48 hours plus however much time it takes me to update the thread and unlock it.
[*]at least one person has the role posted at the bottom of this post.
[*]between 0 and 41 players have an X-shot bulletproof modifier, which means that the first X kill actions during day or night that target that player will be prevented (unless the player who performed the kill has an X-shot strongman modifier with remaining shots).
[*]between 0 and 41 players have an X-shot strongman modifier, which means that the first X kill actions they perform that would be prevented by a bulletproof modifier will succeed.
[b]moderator responsibilities:[/b]
[*]I will not edit your posts unless your post breaks the rules in such a way that information needs to be removed from it or quotes a post that does that, or you ask me to edit it to fix a broken tag. I will provide a brief explanation of the edit and, in cases of fixing broken tags, will end the post with a spoiler containing the complete original text of the post.
[*]if you have a pronoun listed on your account, I will use that to refer to you. otherwise, I will default to referring to you as "they"/"them". if you do not have a pronoun listed on your account but wish for me to refer to you using some other pronoun, message me to let me know.
[*]I will do my best to keep the game running as smoothly as possible, but there will be times when I'm not around. I should be able to update the game at least once a day, and I will let you know if I believe that might change.
[*]I reserve the right to modify these rules at any time if necessary.
[*]thanks for vibing and keeping it tight. if you need me, I'm on my mobile.[/list][/color]

[mech][mech=playername][b]Echo Bay citizen[/b]

[i][smallcaps]you're just a regular citizen of Echo Bay, Maryland; you remain unsure of how all of this commotion came about, but you just want it all to come to an end, and will do whatever it takes to ensure this.[/smallcaps][/i]

during the day, you may write [b]kill: playername[/b] in the game thread. the named player will die.[/mech][/mech]

the following rules have been added to the "gameplay" section:

"[*]at least one person has the role posted at the bottom of this post.
[*]between 0 and 41 players have an X-shot bulletproof modifier, which means that the first X kill actions during day or night that target that player will be prevented (unless the player who performed the kill has an X-shot strongman modifier with remaining shots).
[*]between 0 and 41 players have an X-shot strongman modifier, which means that the first X kill actions they perform that would be prevented by a bulletproof modifier will succeed."
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:57 pm

Post by xyzzy »

playername
Echo Bay 1-shot bulletproof citizen

you're a citizen of Echo Bay, Maryland, but you're a little tougher than usual; you won't be taken down quite as quickly as the other folks here.

the first kill action during day or night that targets you will be prevented.

playername
Mayor Jonathan Gunshow 1-shot bulletproof 2-shot strongman serial killer

flavor text

each night, you can perform a nightkill action targeting one player, and that player will die.

the first two kill actions you perform during day or night that would be prevented instead succeed.

playername
Echo Bay Munitions Co. 1-shot bulletproof traitor

flavor text

there are some number of other members of your faction, some of whom know each other's identities and have a nightkill action. if you are targeted with a kill action, you will become a regular member of your faction with knowledge of the other non-hidden members of your faction and access to your faction's private topic.

xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Post by xyzzy »

playername
Echo Bay Grits goon

flavor text

each night, your faction can perform a nightkill action targeting one player, and that player will die.

if a member of your faction whose identity you do not know is targeted by a kill action during day or night, that player will instead become a regular member of your faction with knowledge of the other non-hidden members of your faction and access to your faction's private topic.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Post by xyzzy »

grits goons:
Original Roll String: 1d41
1 41-Sided Dice: (40) = 40

Original Roll String: 1d40
1 40-Sided Dice: (16) = 16

Original Roll String: 1d39
1 39-Sided Dice: (11) = 11

grits traitor:
Original Roll String: 1d38
1 38-Sided Dice: (10) = 10

munitions goons:
Original Roll String: 1d37
1 37-Sided Dice: (24) = 24

Original Roll String: 1d36
1 36-Sided Dice: (21) = 21

Original Roll String: 1d35
1 35-Sided Dice: (17) = 17

munitions traitor:
Original Roll String: 1d34
1 34-Sided Dice: (18) = 18

mayor SK:
Original Roll String: 1d33
1 33-Sided Dice: (31) = 31

AskJeeves SK:
Original Roll String: 1d32
1 32-Sided Dice: (27) = 27

BP town:
Original Roll String: 1d31
1 31-Sided Dice: (28) = 28

Original Roll String: 1d30
1 30-Sided Dice: (5) = 5

Original Roll String: 1d29
1 29-Sided Dice: (27) = 27

Original Roll String: 1d28
1 28-Sided Dice: (9) = 9
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Spoiler: role distribution
Iconeum
Echo Bay Grits goon

together, they amassed significant wealth, and while their company has had a few downturns throughout its near century in business, their legacy of excellence has given the company a well-deserved reputation for creating only the best. however, the company has been slow to adapt to technology, and while this is in some cases a good thing (the fact that they still rely on the same basic machinery with only minor renovations for manufacturing grits gives them a much-desired reputation as having a real legacy), the fact is, any company in the 21st century needs a robust and well-maintained online presence, and the Echo Bay Grits company simply does not deliver in that regard.

you know that the following players are members of your faction: Taly, Austerity

you may communicate with the other members of your faction privately any time here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=76119

you know that there is 1 player who is a member of your faction whose identity you do not know, and who does not know your identity or how large your faction is.

each night, your faction can perform a nightkill action targeting one player, and that player will die.

if a member of your faction whose identity you do not know is targeted by a kill action during day or night, that player will instead become a regular member of your faction with knowledge of the other non-hidden members of your faction and access to your faction's private topic.

Taly
Echo Bay Grits goon

the recently formed online marketing division for the Echo Bay Grits company has most recently faced the uphill battle of trying to increase their company's presence on social media and improve their search engine optimization, or SEO. this effort has proved difficult, though, and it remains difficult to locate the company online; while selling affordable, tasty food in supermarkets and supplying that food in bulk to restaurants across a region are certainly still a viable way to turn a profit, larger, more nationally accessible brands of grits threaten to eventually subsume the Echo Bay Grits company's profits, and the internet is the best and perhaps only way to prevent this from happening.

you know that the following players are members of your faction: Iconeum, Austerity

you may communicate with the other members of your faction privately any time here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=76119

you know that there is 1 player who is a member of your faction whose identity you do not know, and who does not know your identity or how large your faction is.

Austerity
Echo Bay Grits goon

the Echo Bay Grits company was founded in 1923 by two enterprising sisters, the daughters of a owner of a small East Coast chain of supermarkets. the elder of the two sisters attended culinary school, where she gained an appreciation of simple foods made perfect through dedicated, thoughtful care, and the younger used her knowledge of agriculture trade gained through her work in the supermarket to gain an in depth understanding of how to succeed in the cutthroat industry of east coast grits companies.

you know that the following players are members of your faction: Iconeum, Taly

SnarkySnowman
Echo Bay Grits 1-shot bulletproof traitor

the sisters' legacy is one of innovation in times of hardship, and this sort of innovation is key to their survival. one thing is certain: either the Echo Bay Grits company solves their web presence problem, or their company faces extinction -- not literal extinction, of course, because it's not like anything would cause that to happen, right?

there are some number of other members of your faction, some of whom know each other's identities and have a nightkill action. if you are targeted with a kill action, you will become a regular member of your faction with knowledge of the other non-hidden members of your faction and access to your faction's private topic.

Not_Mafia
Echo Bay Munitions Co. goon

Echo Bay Munitions, Co. was founded in 2008, and little is known about how the company actually operates by outsiders, or for that matter, the people who work there. the privately owned company has a number of top secret government weapons contracts, and it's well known that they perform testing just outside the city, but what exactly they're testing--or why--remains a mystery to those who do not work for the company.

you know that the following players are members of your faction: light_ganski, Theta Alpine

you may communicate with the other members of your faction privately any time here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=76120

light_ganski

while the company remains committed to more conventional means when it comes to their various government contracts, they remain fully committed to this plan, and intend to roll it out in one year; while it might prove unpopular with some, they believe that they will be able to convince legislators that this is the best, most reasonable way to prevent further tragedies while also ensuring that they are the only company capable of producing legal consumer firearms, thus ensuring their long-term profitability. one thing remains certain, though: the top executives of Echo Bay Munitions Co. will definitely never face any consequences for their actions under any conditions no matter what; they don't even live in Echo Bay, just so that they won't be there in case anything ever goes wrong.

you know that the following players are members of your faction: Not_Mafia, Theta Alpine

you may communicate with the other members of your faction privately any time here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=76120

Theta Alpine

however, even for those who do work there, much of it is shrouded in mystery; the employees are spread primarily across three buildings, with a handful of other employees working remotely, and even those who work within the company are unlikely to know more than a small handful of others there. some of those who are part of the company's engineering team, however, are part of a new initiative within the company to create a new paradigm in how firearms are made available to private citizens.

you know that the following players are members of your faction: Not_Mafia, light_ganski

Davsto
Echo Bay Munitions Co. 1-shot bulletproof traitor

as controversy surrounding the accessibility of lethal weapons has increased throughout the country, Echo Bay Munitions Co. has found a new solution that they believe will actually increase their profitability: rather than decreasing access to firearms, simply reduce the amount of bullets available for purchase, create reusable bullets known as SmartBullets that track which individuals have used them recently, and charge high licensing fees for the rights to fire a gun. they reason that this will make it nearly impossible for anyone to shoot more than one person in a single day, which will decrease the number of violent crimes that take place; it would require some sort of mass panic for that sort of thing to happen. and obviously there's no real need for them to worry about that kind of thing happening, because the societal conditions to create that sort of event are just incredibly unlikely.

Gammagooey
Mayor Jonathan Gunshow 1-shot bulletproof 2-shot strongman serial killer

Mayor Jonathan Gunshow (born Jonathan Carroll) was first elected as mayor of Echo Bay, Maryland in 2010 at only 24 years old on a platform of crime reduction and better access to public utilities, but it was his backing by firearm lobbyists that secured his victory. having his last name legally changed to "Gunshow" was little more than a publicity stunt, and many have theorized that he neither expected nor desired to actually be elected mayor, and that going into politics was little more than a ploy to avoid having to find a real job after being left to find his own way in life by his reclusive, wealthy father. in the eight years since, however, he has strengthened his relationship with gun and ammunition manufacturers, including Echo Bay Munitions Co., a relatively new company headquartered in his own city founded just two years before his first election. now at 32 years old, he faces reelection next fall, but sources close to him suggest that he might instead be preparing for a Senate run. he regularly assures constituents that, despite his financial support from Echo Bay Munitions, Co., he fully understands their desires for increased gun control and that his benefactor in fact shares many of their same concerns; whether this has any real bearing on how the company is run has remained in question until now. one thing, however, is certain: either Jonathan Gunshow proves definitively that he truly serves the people's interests and is acting on their behalf, or his political career faces extinction -- though, of course, not in a literal sense, because obviously there's no reason for anyone to believe that real physical harm will come to him any time soon.

the first two kill actions you perform during day or night that would be prevented instead succeed.

the worst
AskJeeves Engineer 1-shot bulletproof 2-shot strongman serial killer

the engineering team at AskJeeves, the most popular search engine on the internet and indeed one of the most powerful technology companies on the planet, is in charge of ensuring that all websites across the internet are treated equally, so long as they are operated in a fair manner that shows proper respect to their users. to the people charged with ensuring that the SEO algorithms work correctly, the greatest transgression of all is trying to gain an unfair advantage in the search results for the AskJeeves search engine, and the second greatest is failing to properly give someone the advantage they have earned. there are those who believe that one of these transgressions may have been committed in the case of the Echo Bay Grits company, and it is for this reason that, following an official complaint filed by a member of the Echo Bay Grits company, an investigator has been sent to the town of Echo Bay, Maryland to determine whether any such issue exists, and if so, what measures must be taken to address this. AskJeeves engineers are prepared for damn near any situation that could possibly come up, and have dealt with all sorts of fiendish plots in the past by those who would seek to control the flow of information and are prepared to dispense justice by whatever means necessary. it's never possible to fully predict how these sorts of investigations will go, but the moment the AskJeeves engineer assigned to this case steps foot in the town of Echo Bay, they are the absolute arbiter of truth, and absolutely nothing can be allowed to stand in their way. one thing is certain: either they will definitively determine how high up the Echo Bay Grits company should be displayed when you do an AskJeeves search for "echo bay grits", or the trust that the public has in the algorithm and by extension the life of the engineer themself will be in absolute peril -- though, of course, not literally speaking, because obviously no AskJeeves engineer has ever died in the line of duty, and it would be absurd to imagine something like that happening now.

Momrangal

you're a citizen of Echo Bay, Maryland, but you're a little tougher than usual; you won't be taken down quite as quickly as the other folks here.

Srceenplay

randomidget

TheBrie

Ausuka
Echo Bay citizen

Ramcius
Echo Bay citizen

Sando
Echo Bay citizen

McMenno
Echo Bay citizen

Chickadee
Echo Bay citizen

Aristophanes
Echo Bay citizen

Almost50
Echo Bay citizen

Creature
Echo Bay citizen

Varsoon
Echo Bay citizen

Kokichi Oma
Echo Bay citizen

hebichan
Echo Bay citizen

Vaxkiller
Echo Bay citizen

CheekyTeeky
Echo Bay citizen

Lovebird
Echo Bay citizen

Harambey180
Echo Bay citizen

StefanB
Echo Bay citizen

Eddie Cane
Echo Bay citizen

Nero Cain
Echo Bay citizen

Archwing
Echo Bay citizen

Nexus
Echo Bay citizen

Gorkington
Echo Bay citizen

hyung
Echo Bay citizen

Ankamius
Echo Bay citizen

wingedcatgirl
Echo Bay citizen

Bins
Echo Bay citizen

MagnaofIllusion
Echo Bay citizen

ooba
Echo Bay citizen

Last edited by xyzzy on Tue May 15, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:47 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Ramcius, Harambey180, the worst, BBmolla, Nexus, Davsto, and ooba have confirmed. Iconeum has confirmed role but not knowledge partners, so I have asked for confirmation of that. (7/33)
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 am

Post by xyzzy »

McMenno, Ausuka, hyung, Gorkington, Creature, Momrangal, Srceenplay, Iconeum, Vaxkiller, Sando, Lovebird, Not_Mafia, Aristophanes, Archwing, Ankamius, and Bins have confirmed. Taly has partially confirmed and has been sent clarifying information about what else is needed. (23/33)
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 am

Post by xyzzy »

Gammagooey, wingedcatgirl, Chickadee, Taly, Eddie Cane, and Kokichi Oma have confirmed. (29/33)
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue May 01, 2018 9:09 am

Post by Ginngie »

why is this black and blue at the same time

xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue May 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Post by xyzzy »

In post 16, Ginngie wrote:why is this black and blue at the same time
it's the bit of code at the very end of the first post! I learned it from Alisae who requested I add it for readability.

Austerity, StefanB, light_ganski, Almost50, SnarkySnowman, Varsoon, hebichan, and Theta Alpine have confirmed. starting the game momentarily. randomidget, CheekyTeeky, The Brie, and Katokashi still need to confirm and will have 72 hours to do so.

--

bp remaining: SnarkySnowman, Davsto, Gammagooey, the worst, Momrangal, Srceenplay, randomidget, The Brie
strongman remaining: Gammagooey (2), the worst (2)
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 am

Post by xyzzy »

I went back and checked and apparently TheBrie
did
confirm and I just missed it. CheekyTeeky is dead and therefore does not need to confirm. randomidget and Katokashi haven't picked up their role PMs yet.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed May 02, 2018 4:06 am

Post by Ginngie »

how the fuck is cheeky dead

Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed May 02, 2018 4:07 am

Post by Ginngie »

Oh the game started

xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed May 02, 2018 4:24 am

Post by xyzzy »

I wasn't actually paying attention to which specific people were posting and missed that McMenno was posting while dead. in my defense it's really hard to keep track of who's alive with this many players, and there's
absolutely no way
I could have foreseen this possibility or prevented it. I in no way caused this game to have this many players by PMing 69 (nice) people about it and having no cap on the number of players

anyway just in case it's relevant later I am recording the following posts from McMenno here before I clear their contents in the thread:
In post 212, StefanB wrote:Potential connection between McMenno and Iconeum?
Why that shoot?
what are you talking about? I didn't rewad the thread

I shot varsoon because of what he said during pregame
then why don't you shoot yourself to prove you're an echo bay citizen as well
just use img tags
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed May 02, 2018 4:26 am

Post by xyzzy »

and a fourth one that says "I mean BAH" because there's no bah posts in this game
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed May 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Post by xyzzy »

bp remaining: SnarkySnowman, Davsto, Gammagooey, Momrangal, Srceenplay, randomidget, The Brie
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu May 03, 2018 8:50 am

Post by xyzzy »

bp remaining: Davsto, Gammagooey, Srceenplay, randomidget, The Brie

Return to “Completed Game Topics”