Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 1897 - Scum PT

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:09 am

Post by Rob14 »

Welcome to Newbie 1897! You are a part of the Mafia team. You may converse here during all phases of the game (pre-game, day, or night).
Last edited by Rob14 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:21 am

Post by Trendall »

Aaaaaa I've never been mafia in a forum game before. Panic stations. I am mafia goon, also I am mafia sided, does this count as confirmation?
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:53 pm

Post by Rob14 »

I'll count that as your confirmation, though my role PM does ask to confirm by PM.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:54 pm

Post by Trendall »

No it doesn't.

"Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT."
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Post by Trendall »

Wait, can I be disqualified now for quoting my role PM? I forgot about that rule
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:00 pm

Post by Trendall »

Actually I can't because the role PMs are already available in the main game thread. This is gonna be one of those games though huh..
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Post by Trendall »

Rule 2 says "Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage".

The role PM says "you may talk at any time."

Which one is it?
Qubu
Qubu
Townie
Qubu
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:43 pm

Post by Qubu »

Any time for newbies I believe, and I'm a roleblocker. That means 2 out of 3 times town has a cop.

Oi.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Post by Trendall »

Aaaaaaa. Hello.

Do you know how to play mafia sided roles? I literally don't know what I am doing. It's weird, I think I've played like 8 games or something of this, and each time I drew vanilla townie.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:45 am

Post by Rob14 »

Gah. Sorry about the confusion. It's been a while since I modded a newbie, so some of my materials fell out of date. I went over the ruleset and role PMs before sending them out, but it seems I missed a couple things, now corrected.

1) Yes, your confirmation here is fine. Sorry about that.

2) You may communicate here at any time, and the ruleset has been changed to reflect this.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:13 am

Post by Trendall »

Yay. Okay, have fun :)
Qubu
Qubu
Townie
Qubu
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:17 pm

Post by Qubu »

As far as playing mafia, you really want to limit the influence your knowledge of alignment has and attempt to scumhunt naturally while watching for PR clues. We know the town has two. Make valid arguments against players - and don't be that guy that just coattails people. That gets you in trouble. Biggest thing in my book is act with conviction. Waffling scum is fairly obvious, and if you play self-conscience as scum it'll get noticed.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:40 am

Post by Trendall »

I always try to sort of forget that I'm mafia and bring up the same arguments I think I would if I were town, consequences be damned. I've never been convinced that it's even a particularly viable strategy but I'm so bad at lying that I almost can't do anything else.
NotNova
NotNova
Goon
NotNova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:16 am

Post by NotNova »

Hi Trendall! Had a feeling you might be scum reading the thread ;)
I'm starting to take "chummy is scummy early" a bit more seriously.

Anything I should know before diving in?
NotNova
NotNova
Goon
NotNova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:54 am

Post by NotNova »

Really lazy play by everyone involved tbh. No reads furthered, no real hunting, a lot of fluff. I'd be really alarmed if I were town.

I think some positioning is in order — gonna try softpocketing Clemency, he's playing really lynchbaity atm and is unlikely to make a big turnaround on subsequent days if we keep him alive. Probably would make a decent D2/D3 lynch. Alonzo is a decent lynch since he seems to be the most willing to gamesolve, Mala is playing a handsoff game so it's a little wildcardy. No one sticks out to me as obvtown so we can pick where we wanna push.
Any impressions of yours?
NotNova
NotNova
Goon
NotNova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:56 am

Post by NotNova »

And if you'd engage me in a bit of scum theatre, that'd be nice too ;)
NotNova
NotNova
Goon
NotNova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:38 am

Post by NotNova »

Oh btw the early game chainsaw defense of Qubo was a little awkward, I'd argue about it if you're cool with it.
Probably better to just bus lurking scum partners for towncred, even if it'd make my life a little harder in this case ;)
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:26 am

Post by Trendall »

Qubu did
exactly
the same thing as alien did last game, right? I will bring that up at some point and I was getting to the point where I was just going to bus that slot and hope it got lynched and play solo lol. Which also would be suicide because I can't play maf, but Qubu is second scummiest at the moment, it's annoying. Attacking ppl who are lurking is opportunistic to me though, I don't think I ever do it and somebody could probably dig up something from a past game where I say something to this effect. Not that anybody in this game is going to go to the effort to do that lol, they can't even post, but still...

Like I said I'm really bad at lying and I can't even strategise in the same way that I saw you do in the night chat, I can't even pick who I want to push on or whatever, I can only go with who I find scummy. This also means that I sometimes do things that there is no mafia motivation for whatsoever, so it sorta works both ways. If I were town I would really want Clemency lynched today because his defence was all sorts of bad for reasons I haven't brought up so I'm going with that at the moment.

I just looked up 'chainsaw defense'. It's funny, I do that so much, like jump in to defend somebody because I find the fact that a person even made such a questionable argument to be scummier, the person shouldn't have to defend themselves. I saw somebody who was town accused of this once, and their defence was like, beautifully worded, so I'll have to see if I can remember where I read that and had a look at it. I mean if 'Tarhalindur', whoever that is, thinks that it's a maf tell, good for him I guess. The only part of the wiki I like is the bit about Sturgeon's law which says that 90% of common knowledge is wrong.

You are welcome to start arguments with me about whatever you like, yes :D
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:27 am

Post by Trendall »

Thing is I naturally would have posted about 3x as much this game already but it is very slow burning. Which can only be a good thing.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:29 am

Post by Trendall »

Also being mafia is horrible because every time I accuse someone, they have some comeback and I know they're town so I'm just like 'wow, that is an
excellent argument
! this person is very much town' haha
NotNova
NotNova
Goon
NotNova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:34 am

Post by NotNova »

I did mean what I said about "having a conscience" but try to forget about it ;) Clemency was really obviously lazy town to me on first read, as I was waiting to replace in. Just goes to show how terrible town arguments can be though, it's really not hard to keep "winning" TvS (like I was kind of doing with you last game and you ended up TRing me for it ;)

Just pick a push, we have to homogenize town somehow otherwise it's basically random who gets lynched and that's not super ideal. If we can get into town-looking positions we have good leverage subsequently. How do you think your slot's faring so far?
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:37 am

Post by Trendall »

For example in post #2 of last game, I do a chainsaw defence of alien lol.

People seem to be okay with me this game somehow. I would have expected to be lynched already but here we are.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:38 am

Post by Trendall »

I am tunnelling Clemency now like I did volxen last game cause I can guarantee that is exactly what I would do in this game if I were town lol
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:40 am

Post by Trendall »

I find people so weird though, like Qubu did two posts and then is obviously afk, but people are bringing up these arguments like 'why is he scumlurking he's deliberately not contributing' as if nothing exists in real life other than the mafia forum.

It's like if you were playing Overwatch and a character was just standing there still and people were going like 'why's he doing that? does he really think it's a good strategy to just stand still and not doing anything? he is such a bad player'
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:48 am

Post by Trendall »

Oh in post #127 Thespio typed a 9 digit number, I was wondering if that was some sort of cryptography attempt which was power role breadcrumbing or whatever.

Return to “Completed Game Topics”