teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newb 1958: Scum's Lair

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:08 pm

Post by teacher »

Welcome, Farkran and the worst
Pine
, Mafia Goons. This is your lair, where you may talk at any time unless you are flipped. This thread will not lock
Last edited by teacher on Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:07 pm

Post by Pine »

Salutations!
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:57 am

Post by Farkran »

Test post from my phone
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:00 am

Post by Farkran »

It works! But i can't post from my desktop.

Hello Pine, and sorry about the delay, i am having issues with blacklisted IP that i'm trying to sort out with the admins. I look forward to play this game! I will introduce myself as soon as i can.

@teacher: my phone seems to be ok, so at the very least i can play from here
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:57 am

Post by Pine »

Not a problem, Farkran. What’s your level of experience with the game?

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:13 am

Post by Farkran »

Test post from desktop
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:13 am

Post by Farkran »

Yay it works!
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:36 am

Post by Farkran »

So, i had prepared this long post before discovering i couldn't post it, and saved it on a text file. Here goes:

Hi there! This is my second game on site and i rolled scum after playing as mason in newbie 1951. I admit i am a bit nervous about being scum... i love playing as scum, but i don't feel really confident with it. I'll often get emotional, so i'll probably vent my anxiety in this PT from time to time. Starting now.

I will probably make an introductory post in the game thread, then i'm going to tryhard and powertalk my way until i win or i die. Here, i'd mostly like to talk about strategy or at least what i plan to do during the game - you're free to ignore my posts or advise me if you think it better. Any advice is always welcome, even we are in disagreement.

Staple points of my in-game behavior:

1) I talk a lot. I mean, really. I don't know how to shup up for my own good. Also, i usually make up my thoughts as i am writing and/or re-reading posts, which may result in very lousy progression from other players' POV. Do not excuse me for this. If you need to, get mad at me, FoS me, vote me and ultimately bus me hard if the situation gets dire. I am perfectly ok with that and i'll probably get mad at you in return. Know that i respect you as a player, but will attempt not to care in the day chat, otherwise my posts will be biased and very far from my previous town meta.

(note: i will always remain within the boundaries of sportsmanship - no insults, no personal offense, no ragequitting, etc - but i may occasionally say that your reasoning is bad or something.)

2) I will interact with you, as well as with everyone else. I will ask for progression thoughts fairly often and I will call out anything that looks like a scumslip to me. I will probably perform reaction-tests in either reasonable or stupid ways.

3) I won't fence-sit for long at any time, but i am also not going to jump on random wagons either. I am usually never the first to vote on someone unless i'm reaction testing or tunneling, in which case i will hardly change my mind. I can be stubborn and you may call me out for that. I usually build a huge wallpost case about someone, fairly soon into the day, and probably get mad if nobody believes me. This is actually how i play when i am town, and i strongly believe that people who show emotion are rarely scum.

Strategy to be discussed:

4) I'll probably build a case against someone asap, basing it on any minor detail i can find. My readings of people will go up and down often in my posts. When i am town, i tend to suspect everyone in a paranoid fashion.

5) During d1, i will resist any pressure up to a few hours prior to deadline - meaning i won't claim no matter what, unless i am truly going to be lynched and there's no time to change their mind, at which point i am likely going to claim Jailkeeper. From d2 onwards, it depends on flips and i'll write again here.

6) Finally, i understand that we are both goons, therefore we're playing in Column C, am i correct? We shall look for mason crumbs.

7) Anything else you may add is appreciated!
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:51 am

Post by Pine »

Outstanding! I love working with someone who has the basics down and elements of personal style already in place. New, but not too new, you know?

About me - I am a highly experienced player with a long tenure on site. I am a decent Town player, but I specialize in scumplay. A particular hobby of mine is to find newish players and help them improve their scumgame. As such, I am highly active in the scum PT. I can coach you thoroughly, not at all, or anywhere in between, to your comfort level. I’m good alone, but I shine as part of a team.

Some points about Newbie games:

+Know the setup inside and out. Try not to get caught with your pants down
+Bussing (attacking your partner) is highly overrated, especially when there’s only two of us. I don’t do it without a *very* good reason, and I’m good enough that if you pressed me hard enough to be believable I’d either need to fold too easily to be believable or push back hard enough that it might backfire into your lynch.
+The SEs often have history with one another. Exploit it. Everyone likes talking about themselves
+Don’t go after newbies for low activity. It’s cheap, lazy, and is often unjustified

Most importantly - if you wouldn’t do it as Town, don’t do it as scum.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:41 am

Post by Farkran »

I'd love to have an extremely active scum PT, and i will love to listen to any advice, analysis, thought process or whatever else comes to mind! I don't know how much i can follow it without deviating from my playstyle, but i will try to stay away from danger when you point that out. If i see anything that i can fully understand and assimilate into my progression, i will probably use it naturally - i.e. if you notice anything exploitable about my current target that i could use in a case against him, assuming you aren't already using that. My ideal read of you would be a SL: while i will most certainly question you in the day chat (i don't want any of us to be caught for not interacting properly or not having progression about each other), i will not bus you intentionally over anyone else unless the situation gets extremely dire. I'd like both of us to survive up to at least d2, and when one of us dies, at least try to catch the PR/s in the process.
In post 8, Pine wrote: +The SEs often have history with one another. Exploit it. Everyone likes talking about themselves
Can you elaborate on this? I don't know anyone in this game, all my previous teammates and enemies joined elsewhere. In my previous game i have seen that, here on ScumMafia, interactions lead to kinda different results than they did in my old FM playground - a quick example would be the whole "mindmelding" definition - no town would ever say that back in my days. Before establishing a town bloc of sort, we'd test everyone first: progression wasn't worth much during the first stages of the game.
In post 8, Pine wrote: +Don’t go after newbies for low activity. It’s cheap, lazy, and is often unjustified.
Eh, that's actually one of my perks. It will be hard for me not to prod anyone who's being inactive, and not consistent with my current town meta. I am a hound for lurkers.
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:46 am

Post by Farkran »

Also, quick questions about the setup, please correct any wrong sentence or elaborate the incomplete ones.

1) If we are playing in column C, there can be either: 1 Cop OR 1 Jailkeeper OR 2 masons.
2) Jailkeeper action is NOT notified to the target unless the target has a night action that was blocked. (i.e. a VT would not get a "YOU HAVE BEEN ROLEBLOCKED!" message)
3) I prepared a table about possible claims and counterclaims:
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:46 am

Post by Farkran »

(unintentionally pressed submit before i finished)
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:53 am

Post by Pine »

Correct regarding column C

I normally encourage lots of discourse, but damn son, can you try to knock those walls down a little? You want to convey the important information without it being buried in less important stuff. Make multiple posts if you need to, people are more likely to read multiples than a daunting wallpost

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:02 am

Post by Farkran »

Also, quick questions about the setup, please correct any wrong sentence or elaborate the incomplete ones.

1) If we are playing in column C, there can be either: 1 Cop OR 1 Jailkeeper OR 2 masons.
2) Jailkeeper action is NOT notified to the target unless the target has a night action that was blocked. (i.e. a VT would not get a "YOU HAVE BEEN ROLEBLOCKED!" message)
3) I prepared a table about possible claims and counterclaims:

ClaimCounterclaim
CopJK, Tracker, Mason, FN
JKCop, Mason
MasonAll
TrackerCop, Mason
DoctorJK, Mason, FN
FNCop, Doctor, Mason

Which shows that Tracker and JK are the least CCable of the lot. Assuming i absolutely need to claim before anyone else, i'd pick Jailkeeper because it's more valuable and believable as a claim. I was also considering a very convoluted JK crumb in my early posts (see my mason crumb in Newbie 1951). Any feedback on this?

pedit: yea i wallpost a lot. I'll try to multipost more instead.
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:47 am

Post by Farkran »

Also i'd suggest being wary of randbo, i've seen him throwing quick lolhammers here and there.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:52 am

Post by Pine »

Good to know. With regard to claims, don’t be to quick to throw one down. It’s usually better to wait until you’re forced, then decide based on the situation. Be flexible, prepared to improvise. In my experience, going in with a rigid plan means you’re not ready to adapt

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Post by Farkran »

My introductory post is actually a reaction test to everyone, i'll explain it shortly in the day chat. I will provide my readings based on it.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:16 am

Post by Pine »

Feel free to respond to my antagonism. I’m doing it on purpose - there’s nothing inherently wrong with overanalysis, so I’m being more of a dick than is necessary to put some distance between us. I can handle whatever backlash you dish out.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:08 am

Post by Farkran »

Good job, i liked it. I am going to keep my scumlean of you in my next progression posts, but micc is my primary target unless something happens. Evenstar is looking scummy as hell though... i might join a wagon against her if the opportunity arises
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:42 am

Post by Farkran »

Or maybe not, i'm not sure whether i'd find her (evenstar) too scum to be scum or actual scum. I think i'll try to pocket her a small bit while i support my case against micc and see what happens. Not WKing or anything, just give her credit for the emotional tone despite a very bad reasoning pass
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:30 am

Post by Pine »

Nah we take Evenstar to endgame, maybe final lynch. That immediate Farkran/Pine unaligned read is gold

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:31 am

Post by Pine »

If you want to antagonize Evenstar, I’ll make nice

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:37 am

Post by Farkran »

In post 20, Pine wrote:Nah we take Evenstar to endgame, maybe final lynch. That immediate Farkran/Pine unaligned read is gold
True enough. Not sure i will antagonize her, i gave a townlean of her based on emotion, this is within my town meta and i'll probably stick with it at least in d1.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:32 am

Post by Pine »

She’s backpedaling on me anyway. No worries.

In a game this size, start thinking about who you’re taking to endgame almost immediately

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Farkran
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Farkran
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:04 am

Post by Farkran »

I'd pick kerset and evenstar atm but depends on mislynch opportunities. I could jump on a kerset wagon if it happens but i'd not push it. Lilliaire also looks VERY bad atm, i may turn on her if micc fails

Return to “Completed Game Topics”